HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi to DRW

Old
02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Borlag

vCash: 500
People like me? Oh that's rich...

Say hello to the ignore list

Borlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
TheDakkster*

Hello.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
Oh for the love of god, PLEASE read some more into cliché statements to the press.
Are you saying that he is immune from the motivational problems that Fedorov is always accused of?

He did see a big drop in production in his last season in Vancouver. Maybe 'Nucks fans know something. I'm not trying to jinx the Wings, but was just wondering.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman View Post
Interesting point about Bert. In the interview I saw, Bert was talking about being excited to play with Dats and Hank, likening it to playing with Naslund and Morrison in Vancouver. Will his motivation be shot when he finds out he'll be on the second line with Lang and Calder/Cleary/Samuelsson?

I think Bert was talking about the kinds of players the Wings have, their core group. He was looking forward to being a part of a team with guys like that on the roster. I doubt he really has any idea yet of what the line pairings turn out to be. He knows what's at stake. He's an UFA this summer so he may be looking at his last real chance to get a good contract. He may be thinking more about where it's good for a guy like him to be versus gambling on more money/shorter term and continued disruptions. I think his attitude will be fine. He was in a pretty bad situation after the Moore incident and the new Canucks after the lockout. That team had a ton of injuries and had lost some key personnel, yet fans expected them to be the same team they were in '02. In Detroit, he gets to share the pressure a bit with our core guys-- not have to take most of the glare alone.

Old
02-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Are you saying that he is immune from the motivational problems that Fedorov is always accused of?

He did see a big drop in production in his last season in Vancouver. Maybe 'Nucks fans know something. I'm not trying to jinx the Wings, but was just wondering.

Completely different set of circumstances for Feds and Bert. Not fair at all to compare them to each other.

Everyone dropped in production his last season in Vancouver (except the Sedins). Lots of injuries too and personnel changes, like I mentioned above. Oh yeah, and no goaltending either.

Old
02-28-2007, 11:53 AM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I think Bert was talking about the kinds of players the Wings have, their core group. He was looking forward to being a part of a team with guys like that on the roster. I doubt he really has any idea yet of what the line pairings turn out to be. He knows what's at stake. He's an UFA this summer so he may be looking at his last real chance to get a good contract. He may be thinking more about where it's good for a guy like him to be versus gambling on more money/shorter term and continued disruptions. I think his attitude will be fine. He was in a pretty bad situation after the Moore incident and the new Canucks after the lockout. That team had a ton of injuries and had lost some key personnel, yet fans expected them to be the same team they were in '02. In Detroit, he gets to share the pressure a bit with our core guys-- not have to take most of the glare alone.
You make some good points. I may just be wary of having Bert on the Wings.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

Hey, if Cheli can welcome him with open arms and an open hotel room on the road, .... I'm sure we can give him a chance to prove himself. I still think we lucked out because a healthy Bert would have been out of our price range.

Old
02-28-2007, 12:14 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
From Yzerman, the classiest guy in hockey, to Bert in one year...

Yeha, that was kind of my sentiments too. However, I believe in second chances.....they didn't spend to much to get him. Between him and Lilja, I am a little uncomfortable with the "History", but like I said, second chances....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:53 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveOpinion View Post
You've got a lot to learn.

Vancouver fans forgave him for his bonehead move on Moore. It was a one-time thing, and he likely won't do anything like that again. (Still think he should've been suspended for longer though. The lockout doesn't count.)

What we didn't forgive him for was being inconsistent, moody, and not a team player.

Funny thing about Bertuzzi, especially considering he'll be known forever for the Moore hit. I don't think he really likes to play physical. He's like a finesse guy trapped in this big brutish body. Everybody always wants him to knock people around, but I really don't think his heart's in it. Not all the time, anyway. He has to be in the right mood, and he usually isn't.

We've got a lot to learn?

The team and its fans egg the guy on...the worse possible scenario occurs...and suddenly... it's all Bertuzzi's fault?

You guys were just driving the getaway car...you didn't rob the bank...right?

And now you can't figure out why the guy who pulled the gun in the bank isn't being loyal to you, eh?

Give me a break!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Zelepukin Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31 View Post
I like the deal!

Bertuzzi is exactly what this team needed, Chelios already sent email to him so were off to a good start
Maybe it was one of those "How to add two to four inches to your penis" e-mails that I seem to get dozens of each week.

Zelepukin Lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
iloveyouzac

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Give me a break!
Ok, well, he's all yours now. No doubt you're smarter than every Vancouver fan put together. Hope it works out.

iloveyouzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
14ari13

Bertuzzi, Chelios and Hasek on the same team. And then you have the Euro Twins. This is going to be fun to watch no matter what the Wings do in the playoffs.

There are 2 ways to look at this trade:
1. If Bertuzzi does not play a single game for the Wings, then this trade is a steal.
2. If Bertuzzi plays for the Wings and if he plays well/really well, then this is robbery of the century.

Holland

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlag View Post
People like me? Oh that's rich...

Say hello to the ignore list
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
Hello.
Sorry, kind of funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelepukin Lives View Post
Maybe it was one of those "How to add two to four inches to your penis" e-mails that I seem to get dozens of each week.
Ouch, add 4 inches!!!

I like the deal, Bertuzzi for matthias and a 3rd is a steal even considering that he only played 7 games this season.

About Bertuzzi being a ''locker room cancer'', it's not like the Wings will ask him to be a leader, I mean what could he possibly do? spit on Datsyuk and pull Hasek's hair?.
There are plenty of leaders in the Wings locker room, so conflicts involving Bertuzzi will not happen.

The thing is the deal doesn't have a downside to it, it's a win-win situation.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:56 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Well I'll answer this quickly. Bertuzzi can by no means be ''locker room cancer'' on the Wings. Why? I think this should be the answer which is completely unnecesarry, but ...
With Lidstrom, Chelios, Hasek, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Draper, Maltby he simply can't.
I remember when Hull was about to come to the Wings and some fans raised the same question and I was like wow, with Yzerman, Lidstrom, Chelios, Shanahan ... he can't possibly do any demage and he did not.
Bertuzzi can not do any demage, I guarantee.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira View Post
A lot of people know there is no love lost between me and Todd Bertuzzi. This goes back a long time. I will swallow my hatred and accept the inevitable.

BUT he better damned well PROVE to me that he deserves to wear the Red and White. That means bringing it EVERY NIGHT - not when you feel like it, not when the mood strikes you. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. No exceptions.

Until he can PROVE to me that he has earned it, the jury will stay out.
You better hope his attitude has changed. But he probably will since:
A. You'll have him for less than 1/4 of the season.
B. His contract is up.

02-28-2007, 03:30 PM
redwingsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Näzzy View Post
A. You'll have him for less than 1/4 of the season.
B. His contract is up.
That is what I'm hoping for. I'm sure that $7 million for the last few years has left a good taste in his mouth and he's going to want more. You guys remember Fedorov?

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:38 PM
TOML

The funny thing is that the last great game Bertuzzi had was against Detroit.

He always played well against Detroit. It was one of the handful of teams he actually showed up to play against. At least when he was in Vancouver.

And now he's on Detroit.

Just thought it was funny.

Anyways, if he's really healthy, he should definately be trying hard to boost up his value for contract time. But if his back is still wonky, he'll be a perimeter player that takes a lot of undisciplined penalties. We'll have to see.

Go, Bert, go!

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
DelVecchio

Quote:

In my experience (and that's way too many years to think about), If you expect someone to have a particular attitude; They will. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Chill. Let him grow into (or not grow into) the Wings. Not directed at you personally, but to the collective 'you'.

DelVecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Some people (Nucks fans, mostly) think that Bert will be a "cancer", that he will corrupt the clubhouse, screw up the chemistry, and ruin Detroit's chances this year.

I don't buy it. As you may recall, I didn't think they had any realistic chance this year anyway, so however badly the chemistry gets messed up, it wasn't going to make my outlook any cloudier.

At least now, there's the slimmest of chances that this will pay off huge. And it cost them almost nothing. Either we get to watch a few rounds of playoffs this year, or we get to keep our 1st round pick. Win-win.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:09 PM
jiggs 10

Boy, I'm not sure what to make of this move! I love the Wings and knew they needed a little size (not a thug, but just a bigger player or two), but I HATE Bertuzzi as a player! If he is even ready to play in April, I doubt he will do much good. His timing will be off, he will not be used to his teammates, and I'm sure he will do something silly in his first game to try to make an impression. But will it? Or will he simply injure himself again trying? Dunno....

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

What a lot of people are forgetting about Bertuzzi supposedly being a cancer in the room is the fact that he's a free agent next year. I think he'll come out flying and wont stir anything up in the locker room. I don't think he'd stir up anything in the room anyway, considering the Wings core has been together for so long and Babcock is a hardass kind of guy. He's playing for his next contract and he's got to prove to the league that he's still a capable player.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
What a lot of people are forgetting about Bertuzzi supposedly being a cancer in the room is the fact that he's a free agent next year. I think he'll come out flying and wont stir anything up in the locker room. I don't think he'd stir up anything in the room anyway, considering the Wings core has been together for so long and Babcock is a hardass kind of guy. He's playing for his next contract and he's got to prove to the league that he's still a capable player.
Exactly. Todd was basically "The King" in Vancouver. Best friends with the captain in Naslund, a GM who loved him, and a coach who couldn't touch him if he screwed up.

So yeah, from the outside, it obviously looked like Todd got a little too comfy, a little too stuck in his ways. He basically became a "diva" on the Canucks, beating up Crawford if he didn't pick out the green M and M's out of his M and M's.

But all of that means nothing right now. Because a) Todd likes money and Todd likes new contracts, which means he will be busting his ass to get a new deal next year, so he needs to prove he will be worthy of a big investment. And b) There is no chance in hell Todd will be able to have the control he had in the Canucks locker room/organization in Detroit. Todd is the outsider now, he is coming into a tightly run organization. There is no way Todd, if he is indeed a cancer of any kind, will be able to, nor want to, do any damage for this years playoff run.

And besides, Todd grew up with the Canucks old core (Jovo, Nazzy, Clouts, etc) and he was the centerpeice of our offence along with Naslund, so it was easier for him to, seperate? or cause issues?, in the locker room since he was THE GUY in Vancouver. He got a bit spoiled in Vancouver. People did things to make sure Todd stayed happy. In Detroit he will have to fit into their system, and he will have to get along with their locker room, he won't be able to control the locker room and make people suit HIS needs.

Anyways, I hate you guys with a passion, , but this was honestly the best deal of the deadline IMO.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
We've got a lot to learn?

The team and its fans egg the guy on...the worse possible scenario occurs...and suddenly... it's all Bertuzzi's fault?

You guys were just driving the getaway car...you didn't rob the bank...right?

And now you can't figure out why the guy who pulled the gun in the bank isn't being loyal to you, eh?

Give me a break!
Pfft, where were all you people when the Moore incident went down?

Back then Todd was the devil, but now he is only partly responsible for the Moore thing? Back in the day, though, it was all Todd's evil plan.

Old
02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveOpinion View Post
Ok, well, he's all yours now. No doubt you're smarter than every Vancouver fan put together. Hope it works out.
Smarter? As a group...I don't there's any question of that. Virtually every modern convienience you enjoy in Canada is there as a result of our hard work and innovation...from the car you drive...to the electricity that powers your lights, tv, radio, computers...even the phones that Canadian Alexander Graham Bell pioneered wouldn't have worked without the ground breaking work of Edison and Tesla.

As to Bertuzzi's lack of loyalty...why should he feel any loyalty towards a group that refuses to take responsibility for their part in this tragedy?

Nothing new here though...how long did it take Canadians to forge a pact with organized crime during prohibition? Canadian breweries cranked out a product that fueled the rise of organized crime...with Hiram Walker even designing a special bottle that enabled these smugglers to better hide their illegal wares. Many of the woes of present day society...crime, drug use, etc can be traced to its origins during prohibition.

When can we Americans expect reparations...oh moral Canadians?

So don't be so quick to damn Bertuzzi. Yeah...he made a big mistake. But you guys helped him, eh?

So spare us the lectures and feigned indignance.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Smarter? As a group...I don't there's any question of that. Virtually every modern convienience you enjoy in Canada is there as a result of our hard work and innovation...from the car you drive...to the electricity that powers your lights, tv, radio, computers...even the phones that Canadian Alexander Graham Bell pioneered wouldn't have worked without the ground breaking work of Edison and Tesla.

As to Bertuzzi's lack of loyalty...why should he feel any loyalty towards a group that refuses to take responsibility for their part in this tragedy?

Nothing new here though...how long did it take Canadians to forge a pact with organized crime during prohibition? Canadian breweries cranked out a product that fueled the rise of organized crime...with Hiram Walker even designing a special bottle that enabled these smugglers to better hide their illegal wares. Many of the woes of present day society...crime, drug use, etc can be traced to its origins during prohibition.

When can we Americans expect reparations...oh moral Canadians?

So don't be so quick to damn Bertuzzi. Yeah...he made a big mistake. But you guys helped him, eh?

So spare us the lectures and feigned indignance.

Wow. So during a conversation about hockey in which one guy questions your knowledge of Bertuzzi, you respond with

-Claiming Canadians are mentally inferior to Americans
-Canadians only enjoy a good life because of Americans
-One of Canada's famous inventions would never have occured had it not been because of the work of non-Canadians
-Canadians love the mob
-Because of Canadians love of the mob during prohibition, previously unheard things such as crime and drug use became rampant, thus Canadians had a huge hand in bringing these things to present day society

That was a wicked over-reaction, as well as some spotty spin-doctoring on your part. Maybe stick to talking about just hockey?