HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dupuis and a 3rd to Atlanta for Alex Bourret

Old
02-27-2007, 03:16 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Bourret was Atlanta's top prospect according to HF:

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/alex_bourret

ThirdEye

Man, I'm so happy I can't contain myself right now

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GarretJoseph

This is a GREAT trade. Amazing. Way to go Sather. WAY TO GO.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
NYROrtsFan

Who comes up now? Do they keep the kids together and just bring Isbister up allowing Bourret to fill his spot?

There is a nice spot now on the 3rd line where anyone can get some real games and experience at.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Pizza

This is great. Bourret was high on my list the year he was drafted...now we have him. Excellent!!!

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
FLYLine24*

Unbelievable trade for us. Im completely shocked!

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pizza

This is great. Bourret was high on my list the year he was drafted...now we have him.

Excellent!!!

I'm remembering that wacky suit Alex wore on draft day, LOL.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ola

On Bourret, I caught him a few times watching Graham in the Q (on the web of course). Bourret plays like a mix of Ryan Hollweg and Michael Ryder. Think Holly's body, and Ryders rush's with the puck. I've saw him score on a heck of a end to end rush, he often took the puck end to end in the Q.

I don't know if there is such thing as a "hit or miss" prospects, but Bourret got allot of bust potential. He practically doesn't use his brain at all playing. He got a high skill level, is really strong, got good speed and nifty hands, but playing the style that he does, he must be more talented then the players he goes up against to have success, there are no inbetween. If his skilllevel aren't dominating, he is pretty useless offensivly, he doesn't seem like a kid who is good defensivly, and he aren't tough enough to compete with Hollweg.

So I can't say that I am absolutely thrilled getting him, but he is defenitly a good pickup IMO for Dupuis, especially along with a 3rd rounder. We got a great offseason program, who knows, maybe Bourret can really pull something off this summer and make that final jump, my expectations on him are lower then on Dawes, but he might have a higher potential.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McDonagh27

Great deal. Good job Slats! We're building for the future.

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Onion Boy

Maybe this has already been posted, but it looks like we gave up the 3rd rounder.

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View.aspx?Levels=13|0|0&CID01=14a1f980-6eef-4e96-b8ae-9ef16c88abb8

Still, Dupuis and a 3rd rounder for a upper level prospect is a good deal. Apparently the Thrashers soured on Bourret because he came to camp a bit overweight.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Ola

Like the Dupuis trade, a 3rd rounder is always a 3rd rounder. On Bourret, I caught him a few times watching Graham in the Q (on the web of course). Bourret plays like a mix of Ryan Hollweg and Michael Ryder. Think Holly's body, and Ryders rush's with the puck. I've saw him score on a heck of a end to end rush, he often took the puck end to end in the Q. I don't know if there is such thing as a "hit or miss" prospects, but Bourret got allot of bust potential. He practically doesn't use his brain at all playing. He got a high skill level, is really strong, got good speed and nifty hands, but playing the style that he does, he must be more talented then the players he goes up against to have success, there are no inbetween. If his skilllevel aren't dominating, he is pretty useless offensivly, he doesn't seem like a kid who is good defensivly, and he aren't tough enough to compete with Hollweg. So I can't say that I am thrilled getting him, but he is defenitly a good pickup IMO for Dupuis, especially along with a 3rd rounder. We got a great offseason program, who knows, maybe Bourret can really pull something off this summer and make that final jump, my expectations on him are lower then on Dawes, but he might have a higher potential.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:22 PM
broadwayblue

yeah, looks like we gave up the third rounder. from the press release:

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired right wing Alex Bourret from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for left wing Pascal Dupuis and a third round pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yes, we gave up the third along with Dupuis. Great trade, we weren't going to bring Dupuis back so essentially we traded a 3rd for a top prospect. Sather has been doing well with his trades this season, IMO.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
From HF page on Bourret:

"Beyond his offensive ability, the most dominant aspect of Bourret’s game is his physical play. Rare is the shift that he does not throw a heavy body check. Built like a tank, Bourret hits to hurt – often – but he also does so cleanly. He is willing to get his nose dirty, and stick up for his teammates. He played regularly in all situations, notching seven power-play goals and five short-handed goals, and proved to be a clutch scorer, pick up five game-winning markers as well. Regardless of his short (if stocky) stature, Bourret’s lead-by-example style, his grit, desire, and excellent two-way awareness makes him a high-potential prospect."

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospects/alex_bourret

Sounds great. Despite being just 5'10", the guy sounds tought and physical. From everything I've read at HF and elsewhere, there really seems to be nothing to not like about this kid.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:32 PM
SML

That's not quite as good as first reported, but i was really high on Bourret in his draft year. So he's a little chubby right now. They said the same thing about Brenden Morrow, Keith Tkachuk and Brett Hull. The coaching staff will bring him around.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Nich

dubinsky needs to put him on his off-season plan.

man the wolfpack should have a very good year in the playoffs...the way they are playing plus this kid, plus the kids coming out of college....man

now we just need to clear out some of those players we will never use from our contracts

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 05:57 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I have to say that I am very impressed with the last 4 deals we made actually. I have a feeling that Renney is behind all this since I know he mentioned watching Avery a lot before we got him.

1. We got Avery for very little
2. We got Dupuis for Hall, not bad
3. We got Mara for Ward. I liked Ward, but we do need a PP dman.
4. Dupuis for Bourret and a 3rd?!
That is a HUGE steal. He had a very slow start to his minor league career this season in AHL. However, he has turned it on as of late, going at a close to point per game pace there. He is going to be a very good player in the Avery mold...you'll see. The 3rd is just too much here, but I'll take it!

To be honest, I'd rather have 5 Averys on this team than 5 Jagrs. Any day!

History has always shown that a team wins with more role players and a couple of solid go to scores/playmakers and one superstar. We kind of have all that now. thats what made last years team so good. Now if there was anyway we could get Moore back from Minnesota I would be oh so happy.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:01 PM
BigE

I fell off my chair when I heard Pierre McGuire say Alex Bourret!

Waddell is going to be crucified in Atlanta for the job he's doing. Thankfully for him post-CBA free agency bails him out a little.

Man, I couldn't be happier with this deal.

I still think the Mara trade stinks, but I can at least live with the fact that we didn't give up any picks or prospects at this deadline. That's the second year in a row, and in my mind this management group has now earned a little bit of my trust back.

Not only does Bourret come in, but Dupuis departure leaves a slot on that third line for someone from Hartford to fill until Shanny gets back. Maybe we'll have the opportunity to see Callahan or Dawes given some legitimate minutes.

Bourret was the guy I was hoping the Rangers were going to draft the year they traded up to get Staal. Nice to have both, now.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
TomLaidlaw

I Love This Deal!!!!!!!

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
shoothepuck

This is excellent.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
FRICKIN' THIEVERY by Sather.

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Pariseisgod*

wow great trade for the rangers, hard to believe atlanta would do this

Pariseisgod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Must give kudos to Sather on this no brainer. Great pick up for the Rangers.

I'm just trying to figure out what illegal drug the Atlanta GM is on.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
DontStaal

this is an awesome trade IMO...

free's up roster space, get a good prospect..

BUT, we gave up the 3rd rd pick, not atlanta

LINK

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Edge

What it signals to me is that this team is interested in building diverse role players who bring energy and grit to this team AND can bring some scoring.

Getting guys like Avery, adding a prospect like Bourret, all points in that direction.

If you can combine that with some of the skill players we've seen, you might be on to something.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote