HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dupuis and a 3rd to Atlanta for Alex Bourret

Old
02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
McRanger

vCash: 500
I have to say I'm fairly impressed.

I didnt think it would be possible for anyone to be down on such a ridiculously good trade, one that is so low-risk/high-reward.

But there it is...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:01 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I have to say I'm fairly impressed.

I didnt think it would be possible for anyone to be down on such a ridiculously good trade, one that is so low-risk/high-reward.

But there it is...
Exactly. I don't see how Sather could have passed up this deal at all. Say what you want about Bourret's attitude or commitment to getting in shape, but this was basically a no-brainer. If he pans out, great, if he doesn't, no big loss. Dupuis' absence won't kill the Rangers.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
I hear ya, and I agree Dupuis was expendable. But what if...Bourret never makes it out of the AHL. Is it still a good trade?
Yes.

02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Here the real question - since Maloney revealed that, if the Rangers stayed at 16, Bourret was their pick, and Bourret was taken with that pick, the draft day deal for Staal essentially works out to Dom Moore, Philly's 2nd round pick in 2005 and the Rangers' 3rd round pick this year for the right to draft Marc Staal. Everyone still making that deal?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Pizza

Quote:
It's not a question of what would I have done, this may turn out to be a good trade. Then again it may not, so I think I'm going to wait and see before I fall in love with the trade like so many have here. And with Renney's track record of using young talent, who knows if/when this kid will get the chance to show us it was a good trade?
Well, he's certainly given Marcel Hossa a chance and plenty of time. If you want to pull the Prucha card, I'd agree with you to some extent. Assets can always be used better, sooner, longer, what ever. There is plenty of criticism that can be directed at Renney & Co., but the one thing they should be given credit for is sticking to their guns. They promised they would not give away youth for age and they have stuck to that.

They have essentially now given us two first round picks for both the '04 and '05 drafts. I have to admit that's not too bad.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Edge

At the end of the day even if Bourret becomes a player like Sean Avery he's going to have nice value.

I don't think Alex is a future superstar but I sure as heck have a pretty good idea of what Dupuis was at this point.

For all the crap we say about not trusting Sather, Maloney etc. we really don't have much to complain about with selling the farm and moving young players to complain about.

Two years in a row everyone has just been waiting for that excuse to have an emotional breakdown at the deadline and two years in a row we're picking at straws.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
At the end of the day even if Bourret becomes a player like Sean Avery he's going to have nice value.

I don't think Alex is a future superstar but I sure as heck have a pretty good idea of what Dupuis was at this point.

For all the crap we say about not trusting Sather, Maloney etc. we really don't have much to complain about with selling the farm and moving young players to complain about.

Two years in a row everyone has just been waiting for that excuse to have an emotional breakdown at the deadline and two years in a row we're picking at straws.
If Bourret becomes another Avery it's an outstanding trade. I'll take one or two more Averys any day. And I agree it's nice he didn't seel the farm for something immediate. I was a little worried when Renney said they need help, but Sather held firm.

I would have liked to see a few more prospects from the 2004 purge pan out, but let's see what happens with Bourret.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
BigE

Quote:
That's right. Two years of relatively solid deadline action, which has led to Sather earning a small amount of my trust back.

He did make the Ozolinsh gaffe, but I'll allow him a mistake from time to time. Especially considering what we saw from Ozolinsh was possibly the worst possible outcome. He brought little offense, was terrible defensively, and his contract hurt us in terms of seeking other help during the off-season.

I still think I'm in a state of shock over this deal. I know Donny is desparate to make the show down there, but jeez...

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
BigE

Quote:
If Bourret becomes another Avery it's an outstanding trade. I'll take one or two more Averys any day. And I agree it's nice he didn't seel the farm for something immediate. I was a little worried when Renney said they need help, but Sather held firm.

I would have liked to see a few more prospects from the 2004 purge pan out, but let's see what happens with Bourret.
Brandon Dubinsky, Lauri Korpikoski, Jarkko Immonen, Michael Sauer, Dane Byers, Greg Moore, and Billy Ryan are all still developing.

You might even wish to throw guys like David Liffiton and Bruce Graham (who's doing his best to earn a promotion back to the AHL with ppg production) into the mix, although I think he hasn't progressed as some would have liked.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I love it.

I'll be honest and say I had a mild interest in Bourret before the 05 draft. I wasn't too high on him, but wasn't against drafting him. So basically Dominic Moore got us Alex Bourret... this is a joke, right?

What is Waddell smoking?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Exactly. I don't see how Sather could have passed up this deal at all. Say what you want about Bourret's attitude or commitment to getting in shape, but this was basically a no-brainer. If he pans out, great, if he doesn't, no big loss. Dupuis' absence won't kill the Rangers.
I'm not a Sather booster but he is and has always been a superior trader. That is his strength. He is weak in the draft and free agent acquisitions.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Nich

thankfully, maloney does a good job in the draft

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
That's right. Two years of relatively solid deadline action, which has led to Sather earning a small amount of my trust back.

He did make the Ozolinsh gaffe, but I'll allow him a mistake from time to time. Especially considering what we saw from Ozolinsh was possibly the worst possible outcome. He brought little offense, was terrible defensively, and his contract hurt us in terms of seeking other help during the off-season.

I still think I'm in a state of shock over this deal. I know Donny is desparate to make the show down there, but jeez...
The real key will be signing the right veteran players, something that he hasn't gotten down yet.

But I don't have many complaints about the last two three deadlines.

For what the rangers gave up, I think they got prospects who stood a chance.

Old
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:

Amen! Now that that issue is out of the way, what about that Lindros trade? How about that Bure deal?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Brandon Dubinsky, Lauri Korpikoski, Jarkko Immonen, Michael Sauer, Dane Byers, Greg Moore, and Billy Ryan are all still developing.

You might even wish to throw guys like David Liffiton and Bruce Graham (who's doing his best to earn a promotion back to the AHL with ppg production) into the mix, although I think he hasn't progressed as some would have liked.

And a 30 goal scorer in Hartford by the name of Ryan Callahan.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:40 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
These are 2 deals that this team needed to make. Instead of pursuing the pipe dream that is the PO's this was a deal that better suited the Rangers today and I',m glad that Sather was able to recognize that
I agree and I like both deals, but if it's true that the team has acknowledged the playoffs a pipe dream, more should have been sold off.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
thankfully, maloney does a good job in the draft
with an assist from Gordie Clarke

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
mrhockey193195

I'm a bit confused guys, b/c I've heard both, but did we trade the 3rd rounder in this deal, or did we get Atlanta's third rounder?

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I'm not a Sather booster but he is and has always been a superior trader. That is his strength. He is weak in the draft and free agent acquisitions.
I can think of a few trades that were absolute steals. Carter for Jagr. Novak, Ulanov and picks to Florida for Bure. And even though he wasn't that good his second time around, Sather gave up nothing more than spare parts to get Kovalev. It's not like he gave Pittsburgh high draft picks for him.

Although I must say in many of these cases it's just teams making salary dumps. The fact that Sather works for the Rangers, with their seemingly limitless budget pre-lockout, made things more feasible than they would be had he remained in Edmonton or some other small market. So in that sense Sather was at the right place (NY) at the right time (Florida, Washington, and Pittsburgh rebuilds).

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I'm a bit confused guys, b/c I've heard both, but did we trade the 3rd rounder in this deal, or did we get Atlanta's third rounder?
Add me to the confused list. I have see it both way including this on Bourett's page on TSN:

Quote:
New York Rangers traded Pascal Dupuis to the Atlanta Thrashers for Alex Bourret and a 3rd round selection in 2007.

02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
dank

no way we got a 3rd AND Bourret..

both Rangers and Thrashers sites say we gave up a 3rd Rounder..

http://www.nyrangers.com/pressbox/pr...es.asp?id=2710

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
I agree and I like both deals, but if it's true that the team has acknowledged the playoffs a pipe dream, more should have been sold off.
The only other person movable would've been Nylander and I think that they want to keep him and re-sign him before he ever touches the market.

I mean, who else? Malik? Would anyone even take him?

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
The only other person movable would've been Nylander and I think that they want to keep him and re-sign him before he ever touches the market.

I mean, who else? Malik? Would anyone even take him?
i could see pen look at malik....or rachunek

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Edge

I just went over and looked at reactions to this trade and I had to smile.

Bourret may not ever amount to anything, but trying to convince yourself that getting Dupuis is a potential steal for him at this point is a comical stretch at best.

Old
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I love it.

I'll be honest and say I had a mild interest in Bourret before the 05 draft. I wasn't too high on him, but wasn't against drafting him. So basically Dominic Moore got us Alex Bourret... this is a joke, right?

What is Waddell smoking?
if u think that is bad what about the Bruins. Nick Boynton turned into Aaron Ward Boynton was dealt for Mara who was dealt 4 Ward. I wish we got Nick Boynton as well. We can use a big physical dman.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote