HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Difference between the AHL and NHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2003, 04:20 PM
  #1
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Difference between the AHL and NHL

Difference between the AHL and NHL...I would like to hear peoples opinions on the difference between the AHL and the NHL

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 04:34 PM
  #2
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
Difference between the AHL and NHL...I would like to hear peoples opinions on the difference between the AHL and the NHL
Money, skill, size, strength, attendence, travel

montreal is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 04:48 PM
  #3
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,440
vCash: 500
Speed.

Not necessarily in terms of speed among individual players, but plays happen quicker. A player can't hang onto the puck too long in the NHL and it's the first major adjustment one needs to make when making the move to the NHL.

It's very difficult for players to control the puck in the neutral zone for any sustained period in the NHL. In the AHL, a player can skate from one blueline to the other without too much difficulty.

This is mainly due to the systems between the two leagues. Because NHL rosters are more stable, consisting of players with more experience, strength and speed, they clog up the neutral zones much more effectively.

Mike8 is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 05:30 PM
  #4
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Better players

haha
True

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 05:36 PM
  #5
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Money, skill, size, strength, attendence, travel
As for money, you are starting to see a lot of million dollar players in the AHL, I am talking about guys like Audette, Dykhuis, Czerkawski, Heinze, Timander and Joseph. So soon, in like 10 years, players in the AHL will be pair a lot too. Its sad...lol

Skill, size and strength is where I disagree with you. Its all there, look at Olvestad as an example, he was 4th line player who couldn't get many points in the NHL. Does the same in the AHL. Everything is the same.

Travel is perhaps the biggest

attendance is a big problem in some places.

I think the difference is experience, basically saying more mistakes.

As for the speed if you watch an AHL game, and watch an NHL game after. You will not notice a difference. Sorry, but Dagenais was just as slow as he is now, as to what he was in the AHL.

Its just interesting to see what people think the difference is.

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 05:56 PM
  #6
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 25,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
As for money, you are starting to see a lot of million dollar players in the AHL, I am talking about guys like Audette, Dykhuis, Czerkawski, Heinze, Timander and Joseph. So soon, in like 10 years, players in the AHL will be pair a lot too. Its sad...lol

Skill, size and strength is where I disagree with you. Its all there, look at Olvestad as an example, he was 4th line player who couldn't get many points in the NHL. Does the same in the AHL. Everything is the same.

Travel is perhaps the biggest

attendance is a big problem in some places.

I think the difference is experience, basically saying more mistakes.

As for the speed if you watch an AHL game, and watch an NHL game after. You will not notice a difference. Sorry, but Dagenais was just as slow as he is now, as to what he was in the AHL.

Its just interesting to see what people think the difference is.

Jagr, Sakic, Fedorov, etc... The skill is in the NHL, plain and simple. There's some very good AHLers, and overall I would say the league has really gotten a lot better over the years, but it doesn't come close to the skill level of the NHL.

Size, it's easy, there's got to be an average for the NHL/AHL but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Strength is in the NHL's favor. Lots of young guys in the AHL who have yet to fill out physically. yet. There's no Bert's or Brindamor's in the AHL.

Speed the game is quicker in the NHL, and there's no one that could convince me other wise. The tempo is faster and the reactions have to be quicker. One slow players doesnt make the league as fast. It's not about a players speed or lack of, but the fact that everything is happening at a higher rate of speed.

montreal is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 06:42 PM
  #7
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
Difference between the AHL and NHL...I would like to hear peoples opinions on the difference between the AHL and the NHL

AHL = bus

NHL = plane


goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 06:50 PM
  #8
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 23,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Personnally I think that the Bulldogs could win against some weak NHL teams like the Pens, Caps, Florida, CH, when those teams are on a bad night!
The Dogs have one of the most talented offence out there in the 'A' , now talk about the defence and the goalie :p

The Dogs would be eat up alive against an NHL team , period .

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 09:01 PM
  #9
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Too dispute speed being a huge difference between the two leagues is sort of like arguing that the sky isn't blue.

Time and time again, when a player gets called up from the AHL to play his first NHL game, and he's asked what the difference was, the answer, over and over again is always that in the NHL the players --- and the game --- is so much faster.

There are countless examples of players that are good scorers in the AHL but can't translate that success in the NHL because they concede a step in the bigs and can't find the same success.

To use a slow player like Dagenias as an example seems to be (deliberatley) missing the point. Of course a slow player will be slow in both leagues - that's common sense. Where the difference lies is that a lot of top players in the AHL can't cut it at the NHL because the higher tempo of both play and players leaves them behind.

FerrisRox is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
  #10
Joe Maximum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
AHL= Mariusz is dominant

NHL= well....

Joe Maximum is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 11:36 PM
  #11
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,612
vCash: 500
Speed of execution, reaction-time.

I'd say these are the two main differences.

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
12-11-2003, 11:37 PM
  #12
Tuggy
Homer glasses on
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,705
vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
AHL= Mariusz is dominant

NHL= well....

Tuggy is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 03:58 AM
  #13
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,435
vCash: 500
The jump form the AHL to the NHL is a larger jump than alot of people think. Also the jump between the ECHL and the AHL is a similiarly large jump.

The biggest difference, imo, is the speed. You can carve out a nice career in the AHL if you have some decent level of skill, but not a great amount of speed, but you will die a quick death at the NHL level. Mike Ribiero is a good example of this. If he was to spend an entire year in the AHL, at this point in his career, he would probablely win the scoring race by 30 points or so, because of his high level of skill and his mediocre skating speed would not be much of a hamper.

Darz is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 07:25 AM
  #14
AK-47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
As for money, you are starting to see a lot of million dollar players in the AHL, I am talking about guys like Audette, Dykhuis, Czerkawski, Heinze, Timander and Joseph. So soon, in like 10 years, players in the AHL will be pair a lot too. Its sad...lol

Skill, size and strength is where I disagree with you. Its all there, look at Olvestad as an example, he was 4th line player who couldn't get many points in the NHL. Does the same in the AHL. Everything is the same.

Travel is perhaps the biggest

attendance is a big problem in some places.

I think the difference is experience, basically saying more mistakes.

As for the speed if you watch an AHL game, and watch an NHL game after. You will not notice a difference. Sorry, but Dagenais was just as slow as he is now, as to what he was in the AHL.

Its just interesting to see what people think the difference is.
Teams can barely afford to pay their guys in the nhl. So, i'd be surprised if they overpay for ahl talent. Guys like Dykhuis, Traverse and Joseph are exceptions to that rule. None of them will be in the ahl next year. Do you honestly think the habs would keep them there if they could actually trade them.

AK-47 is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 07:29 AM
  #15
AK-47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Personnally I think that the Bulldogs could win against some weak NHL teams like the Pens, Caps, Florida, CH, when those teams are on a bad night!

The Habs are just starting to play as a team and compete hard as they were doing at the start of the season... Actually they probably would win but there was a long boring moment this season where I really wonder who of the Bulldogs or the Habs would have won!

Hossa Gratton Balej

Higgins Plekanec Perezhogin

Someruovi Svitov Olvestad

Bulis Koivu Ryder

Dagenais Ribeiro Zednik

Sundstrom Begin Dackell

You have a young team highly skilled that work hard almost every games and anoither with very irrigular performances (work ethic)...

Trust me, the habs would destroy the bulldogs. Hell, it wouldn't even be close. That's why guys can score a 100 points in the ahl and never crack an nhl lineup.

AK-47 is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 08:55 AM
  #16
Razorblade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Like Mike8 said, the biggest difference between the two leagues is the speed at which plays occur. I've been to most of the Dogs games this year and last, and I would say plays have a little more time to develop in the AHL than the NHL.

But one thing that stands out is the officiating. Not just cause I'm a homer for the Dogs but that it is brutal for most sides on any given night. For the series with Houston last year, besides Bob Langdon, I don't they could've picked two worse referees in the league than Spada and O'Rourke, and for the Calder Cup you would expect to have the best referees available.

All in all, for how much cheaper it is to go to an AHL game, it pretty well cancels out the separation between the two leagues, and plus you get to watch some really great rookies, but still have to live with guys like Traverse and Blouin (who ever told him he should be a hockey player? He belongs on the fourth line in a beer league).


Last edited by Razorblade: 12-12-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Razorblade is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 09:00 AM
  #17
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
That's why Audette was struggling and one of the worst foward of the team last year when sent down and that Traverse is actually their worst defenseman!
Traverse was also struggling with the Habs last year; the guy is just bad. Audette didn't go down to Hamilton to prove something, he went down because he wanted to get paid; he said so himself, so obviously he didn't try very hard while he was down there. Cherkawski on the other hand absolutely dominated in the AHL last year, but when he was called back up he sucked as bad as before he was sent down; the guy was just too soft for the NHL (even this year...).

All-Star is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 09:16 AM
  #18
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
That's why Audette was struggling and one of the worst foward of the team last year when sent down and that Traverse is actually their worst defenseman!
AUDETTE in the ahl
11 gp 5 g 5 p t 10 points

once again , plecanek , you are behind your pink glasses.

there is a difference betwen the fiction and the reality, plec !

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 11:51 AM
  #19
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
AHL= Mariusz is dominant

NHL= well....
Czerkawski didn't even make the slightest impact with Hamilton, he was a healthy scratch, you will never know what he could have done on a bad AHL team.

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 11:58 AM
  #20
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Too dispute speed being a huge difference between the two leagues is sort of like arguing that the sky isn't blue.

Time and time again, when a player gets called up from the AHL to play his first NHL game, and he's asked what the difference was, the answer, over and over again is always that in the NHL the players --- and the game --- is so much faster.

There are countless examples of players that are good scorers in the AHL but can't translate that success in the NHL because they concede a step in the bigs and can't find the same success.

To use a slow player like Dagenias as an example seems to be (deliberatley) missing the point. Of course a slow player will be slow in both leagues - that's common sense. Where the difference lies is that a lot of top players in the AHL can't cut it at the NHL because the higher tempo of both play and players leaves them behind.
Can you form your own opinion, or do you get everything from the press, and what they say as "true"

I asked you what the difference was, and your just arguing with my comments...

Whats your problem????

The plays happen much faster in the NHL, and obviously that's where the talent is, but most of the AHL players are NHL quality, but just make more mistakes.

In the NHL you must react faster, because the players are better. I am talking about the quality of games in general.

FerrisRox...Have you seen an AHL game before out of curiosity?

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 01:51 PM
  #21
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Speed.

Not necessarily in terms of speed among individual players, but plays happen quicker. A player can't hang onto the puck too long in the NHL and it's the first major adjustment one needs to make when making the move to the NHL.

It's very difficult for players to control the puck in the neutral zone for any sustained period in the NHL. In the AHL, a player can skate from one blueline to the other without too much difficulty.

This is mainly due to the systems between the two leagues. Because NHL rosters are more stable, consisting of players with more experience, strength and speed, they clog up the neutral zones much more effectively.
Bingo. What he said.

The speed at which things happen is what separates the Dagenaises from the Dazes. It's why Gratton can dominate the AHL and not do anything in the NHL, and it's why Ward is a dominant power foward there and a decent third-line checker here.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
12-12-2003, 02:34 PM
  #22
habitants9_4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
There is no denying that the NHL has better players, and has the best. What i am saying is the difference in games, I believe decisions are made faster, but the whole game in general.

habitants9_4 is offline  
Old
12-14-2003, 08:59 AM
  #23
AK-47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
That's why Audette was struggling and one of the worst foward of the team last year when sent down and that Traverse is actually their worst defenseman!
Perhaps, but that didn't stop him from averaging a point a game. As for Traverse, he's in the ahl for a reason. Besides, this debate is pointless. The Canadiens would destroy any team playing in the ahl.

AK-47 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 07:33 AM
  #24
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4
Can you form your own opinion, or do you get everything from the press, and what they say as "true"

I asked you what the difference was, and your just arguing with my comments...

Whats your problem????

The plays happen much faster in the NHL, and obviously that's where the talent is, but most of the AHL players are NHL quality, but just make more mistakes.

In the NHL you must react faster, because the players are better. I am talking about the quality of games in general.

FerrisRox...Have you seen an AHL game before out of curiosity?
Uh duh...

Why would I click a thread comparing the two leagues if I hadn't seen an AHL game before? LMAO.

Yeah, for 9 years I owned an American Hockey League all access pass that got me into every rink in the league, I attended 9 AHL All-Star games, 5 or 6 Calder Cup Finals and 4 times I've been to South Carolina (Hilton Head) for the annual AHL Meetings. I think I'm more then qualified to talk about the AHL and I assure you've I've seen probably 300 to 400 more games then you, at the very least.

For you to say that 'most of the players are NHL quality' is the most ill-informed thing you've said on these boards, and that's is quite a statment considering several of the bald-faced lies you've told.

If 'most' are NHL quality, why is the percentage that graduate permanently to the NHL so much smaller then that? The AHL is a very fine league, and I'm a big fan of it. But the quality of hockey is a considerable step down. The Calder Cup winner would get smoked by the NHL last place finisher in a 7 game season with the exception of perhaps a season like this when an NHL club (Pittsburgh) is effective a minor league team in a big league circut.

As for your comments about 'getting everything from the press' well, I have no clue what you are talking about, but I do find it funny that you have in several threads trumpeted that you carry a press pass to Bulldog games and that you write a column, and yet, at the same time, you criticize the media and press and say that there's no truth to be found there.

Pick a side. Stick to it. Your fence jumping is tiresome.


Last edited by FerrisRox: 12-15-2003 at 09:38 PM.
FerrisRox is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.