HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

GDT: Ottawa @ Carolina and vice versa - 2/27 & 2/28

Old
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
i do not think we will make the playoffs but i do not care if we get called one hit wonders either--WE STILL HAVE THE CUP! sticks and stones----also i am not dissing grahame here but i think we should ride c ward the rest of the way in win or lose, we also need 26 healthy---not looking to good right now
John Grahame wasn't the problem tonight. You put Cam Ward in the same situation with the same Hurricanes on the ice and we would have still lost. Our goal-scorers can't score, our penalty kill has a better chance to score than our powerplay, and both of our goaltenders seem too fragile at times.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
CioCio

No moves today plus a completely dumb loss leaves us with egg on our face

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Especially when the player we most likely would've targeted, Jason Blake, goes out and scores a hat trick on the same night.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:46 PM
QuebeCaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
I heard that from Sabres fans the very night we eliminated them. Looks like the Canes are making their dreams come true.
We could meet them in the first round of the playoffs. That would be great.

Kaberle is still playing 10-12 minutes a game. I sure look forward to seeing him on the 1st pp unit and regular D shift.

I think we can still finish in front of Toronto and Montréal.

EDIT: Toronto is getting destroyed at home by Buf... it is now 6-1.

QuebeCaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:48 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebeCaniac View Post
We could meet them in the first round of the playoffs. That would be great.

Kaberle is still playing 10-12 minutes a game. I sure look forward to seeing him on the 1st pp unit and regular D shift.

I think we can still finish in front of Toronto and Montréal.
Really? After they sweep us we'll never hear the end of it, I would just rather miss the playoffs than lose to Buffalo of all teams in the first-round.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Another guy we may have targeted, Kyle Calder, scored one minute and 46 seconds into his debut with the Red Wings.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
John Grahame wasn't the problem tonight. You put Cam Ward in the same situation with the same Hurricanes on the ice and we would have still lost. Our goal-scorers can't score, our penalty kill has a better chance to score than our powerplay, and both of our goaltenders seem too fragile at times.
i would just rather go down fighting with the guy that we rode to the cup --not faulting graham here -but c ward is our guy and lets put the gun to his head again like we did starting w/ montreal last year--not ragging on graham at all here--w the isles playing the way they are right now i just give us a shot at 8th in the east and that is a toss-up --isles and bolts are playing some of the best hockey in the east right now, however if we do get in i give us a better shot at buffalo than a lot of people might think though---got to get some more wins some how

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
I really don't f***ing get this team anymore. I really don't. I meen absolutely no effort whatsoever in the 3rd after controling the majority of the game before that. It's like they don't even want to make the playoffs anymore, at least not when they play at home.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:54 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebeCaniac View Post

EDIT: Toronto is getting destroyed at home by Buf... it is now 6-1.
Sabres are understaffed as hell right now, too. Normally, I hate them. But since it's Toronto they're beating, let it pour.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Wolfpuck
GM Like It's 2006

Although Tampa Bay got 1 point, Dallas took it in OT.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Sorry, but you guys who'd rather miss the playoffs than even losing in the first round are pathetic. What does that accomplish? 2-3 higher spots in the draft? You do realize that there'd be a ton more negative press if they missed the playoffs than lost in the first round right?

"Hah, you guys got swept in the first round! You suck!"
"Yeah, well your team didn't even make the playoffs!"

Jason Blake was never comming here. Why would the Isles trade with a team they are chasing for the playoffs? This team has the talent to win, that's why they didn't make a move. Lots of players had career years last year, and only one is this year. That's what happened.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
CioCio

With all their chances, Dallas deserved to win. It'd be great if Tampa was pointless tonight, but I'll take their loss any which way

Old
02-27-2007, 09:04 PM
SENSible1*

I thought the Canes and Grahame looked pretty good tonight.

SENSible1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
WoodGundy

I still think we can finish ahead of two of Tor, Mtl, NYI and maybe all three, but forget about PPs, can we decline home games? They will probably win tomorrow night.

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
snakepliskin

AFTER FURTHER REVIEW ---i think we might can squeeze montreal out for 8th as long as the leafs and bruins somehow defy logic and find a win streak (not happening) we may even slip by atlanta

disclaimer-this opinion was generated by analyzing the teams concerned strengths: weakness's -remaining schedule-crystal ball-magic 8 ball-ouija board-hooker at the corner-and the greatest joker err INSIDER ever eklund

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:10 PM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Sorry, but you guys who'd rather miss the playoffs than even losing in the first round are pathetic. What does that accomplish? 2-3 higher spots in the draft? You do realize that there'd be a ton more negative press if they missed the playoffs than lost in the first round right?

"Hah, you guys got swept in the first round! You suck!"
"Yeah, well your team didn't even make the playoffs!"

Jason Blake was never comming here. Why would the Isles trade with a team they are chasing for the playoffs? This team has the talent to win, that's why they didn't make a move. Lots of players had career years last year, and only one is this year. That's what happened.
I'm one of those guys, but it's not as simple as just whether they make it or lose in the first round for me. It was always about not giving something up to then just go on to lose in the first. I did also say I'd rather move some guys that we are going to lose and miss the playoffs than keep them and lose in the first.

To me, the tragedy today isn't that we didn't get a Blake, it's that we didn't move a Whitney or Walker.

Now that we know the makeup of the team the rest of the way, of course I'd rather get in than miss out for the sake of a few spots in the draft.

How the Hell did we not move a Dman today?

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Not making any moves was a death sentence... We are locked into the ninth spot in my eyes with islanders improving a ton and having a few games in hand...

We should have traded Whitney if we weren't going to improve...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

Is it just me or was the ice pretty crappy tonight? Aside from the fact that there was pretty much zero effort from the Canes, both teams couldn't complete a pass to save their life with the puck bouncing all over the place, and guys were falling down left and right. It's not something I usually notice, but it definitely seemed a bit poor tonight.

As for the game itself, my god, what a stinker. Ottawa really didn't even play very well, but Carolina played much much worse.

02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Yeah, we should've shipped Scott Walker to Nashville. He really deserved an opportunity to win the Cup with them.

This also makes it much tougher to re-sign guys like Walker and Whitney in free agency. What exactly do we have to offer? Whitney already won the Cup, so he'll leave for the money. Walker came here to win the Cup, so he'll probably look to sign with a team that has a chance to do so.

Old
02-27-2007, 09:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Not making any moves was a death sentence... We are locked into the ninth spot in my eyes with islanders improving a ton and having a few games in hand...

We should have traded Whitney if we weren't going to improve...
I'm not so sure about that. Both Montreal and Atlanta have been on real slides and we could easily pass either or both. That said, the Isles will almost certainly finish ahead of us in the standings, so we just need to make sure to stay on top of Boston and Toronto. Tonight ****ing hurt though. Division title is all but out of the question now the way Tampa has played lately, and we lost our game in hand on Montreal and Atlanta without picking up a point.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:22 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
Especially when the player we most likely would've targeted, Jason Blake, goes out and scores a hat trick on the same night.
well, to be honest, the Isles would not have traded Blake to the Canes, as the Canes are a conference rival fighting for a playoff spot. He would have been traded out west.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:28 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Sigh.

The game was great until the 3rd. They seemed to just forget they only had a 1 goal lead and played so lazy. It wasn't until there was about 2 and a half minutes left that they realized....oh **** we are losing...

Grahame was pretty awesome last night. Gotta hand it to him, when he is hot, he is really hot. I am having less of a heart attack when he plays the puck as well - and boy does he love to play that puck. I think he is learning when it is okay to go behind the net to play the puck.

We really need to win this one tonight.

02-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Canes4me

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSible1 View Post
I thought the Canes and Grahame looked pretty good tonight.
Agreed until the 3rd. We used to keep the foot on the gas in the 3rd but now we seem to stack the blue line and neutral zone (a la Devils) and play to not lose instead of to win. When we play aggressively for 60 minutes we can beat anyone. Ask Atlanta...

Insofar as not wanting to make the playoffs is crazy-talk. There are seven other teams in the east who will have their fans *****ing about what-if's all summer.

Enough with the loser talk...

Canes4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:03 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
Insofar as not wanting to make the playoffs is crazy-talk. There are seven other teams in the east who will have their fans *****ing about what-if's all summer.

Enough with the loser talk...
Exactly. Who's to say Ray Whitney won't re-sign here for a decent amount? He seems to really enjoy it here and seems to finally get respected and a chance to play with good players.

From what Nashville fans say, Scott Walker was a locker room problem and was always injured. From what I see, he seems the exact opposite. I'd be more worried about him leaving than Whitney, but he's seemingly becomming an fan favorite here and the Canes may keep him because of that.

What would you pay for Ray? 2.5? 3? Is that what he's worth? This is a guy who's never scored more than 76 points before this year. Just cause Matt Cullen and Aaron Ward got inflated egos and ran for the money doesn't mean Ray will. If anything, I think he's one of the more likely ones to stay.

It's no secret that the Canes were trying to move Babchuk (Yes him, read the N&O), Tanabe and Hutchinson for awhile. But why dump them for players/picks that they aren't worth? Why not give them a chance to further increase their value by playing this year and especially next with Wesley/Hedican likely gone?

Commodore/Gleason
Wallin/Kaberle
Tanabe/Babchuk
Hutchinson/Seidenberg

Trading Whitney/Walker would be throwing in the towel, something you should never do if you're within striking distance of the division, let alone the playoffs.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
Sigh.

The game was great until the 3rd. They seemed to just forget they only had a 1 goal lead and played so lazy. It wasn't until there was about 2 and a half minutes left that they realized....oh **** we are losing...

Grahame was pretty awesome last night. Gotta hand it to him, when he is hot, he is really hot. I am having less of a heart attack when he plays the puck as well - and boy does he love to play that puck. I think he is learning when it is okay to go behind the net to play the puck.

We really need to win this one tonight.
As a Sens fan, I pretty much feel the same way. I thought you guys out played us for 2 periods and then sort of let us off the hook.

You had a very disciplined and patient attack, content to give us nothing and then capitalize on our miscues. Defensively, I thought you were extrememly organized and forced us into an east-west style of attack - exactly what the Sens like to avoid (except Spezza).

Then you seemed to forget everything that worked and started chasing the puck and it cost you. I know the loss must sting, but I thought the Canes played a pretty solid game overall, and I definately think they're a superior team to Montreal and Toronto. I'd be surprised if you don't make the playoffs.

Anyway, I know it probably means nothing coming from a Sens fan, but I came here to basically tell you how impressed I was with your team.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote