HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Ken Holland Trade Deadline Report Card

Old
02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
HockeyinHD

vCash: 500
The Ken Holland Trade Deadline Report Card

Before we get all confused by what happens in the playoffs , let's take a second to bask in my rightness... er, grade Ken Holland and Co.'s Deadline performance.

Acquired: Calder, Bertuzzi.

Spent: Williams, Matthias, one of a 1st/2nd/3rd pick and possibly an additional 2nd (assuming published reports are accurate).

Detroit's essentially completely retooled their top 6 in general but their second line in particular and done so without giving up a) any current-roster top 6 forwards, b) any top-tier prospects or prospects within 2 years of being ready, or c) any 1st round picks, at least unless the team goes to and/or wins a Cup Final, in which event that would hardly bother anyone.

Actually, let me change the question. Is it even possible to, right now, give the Wings Organization anything other than an 'A'? I mean, other than Tincan I have to think everyone is very happy with the asset portion of this deal. People might be a bit torn on the personal side of this, what with Bertuzzi having the Scarlet Letter and all... but still. Asset wise it's tough to complain.

Eklund is reporting that sarcastro actually smiled upon hearing news of the trades.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
F

For Fantastic

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
Shoalzie

I'll give it a B right now...it all depends on if Bert plays and plays well. It's great to have the name but I want to see the actual player on the ice and raising hell. Calder is a solid addition...a good 2nd or 3rd line guy. It could be an A if Bertuzzi gets into the lineup soon and makes an impact.

As far as what he gave up...trades away a 2nd or 3rd line forward, a mid-grade prospect and one or two picks. With the picks being conditional, it's a brilliant move on Holland's part. This was his best deadline day since '99 when he pulled in Clark, Chelios, Samuelsson and Ranford.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
This was his best deadline day since '99 when he pulled in Clark, Chelios, Samuelsson and Ranford.
Oh, great.

Way to jinx the crap out of the Wings, Shoalzie.

Old
02-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Oh, great.

Way to jinx the crap out of the Wings, Shoalzie.

Did you want my opinion or not?

When you think Chelios is still here and kickin' ass...that deadline day is still paying off.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
jacK

B+

i love the deals and know we're a much better team for getting rid of Williams... oh yeah, and acquiring Calder & Bertuzzi.
BUT, Kenny needed to be pestering KLowe all day about Smyth, ESPECIALLY near the deadline when no news of a signing/trade had broke. no way should GMs be surprised that he was suddenly available. not saying we're guaranteed to snag him even if Ken/Kev are in contact (i'm sure Lowe dealt him east on purpose), but it's the big one that got away.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 07:38 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
not saying we're guaranteed to snag him even if Ken/Kev are in contact (i'm sure Lowe dealt him east on purpose), but it's the big one that got away.
3 #1's for an impending UFA is too rich for my blood.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
B+

i love the deals and know we're a much better team for getting rid of Williams... oh yeah, and acquiring Calder & Bertuzzi.
BUT, Kenny needed to be pestering KLowe all day about Smyth, ESPECIALLY near the deadline when no news of a signing/trade had broke. no way should GMs be surprised that he was suddenly available. not saying we're guaranteed to snag him even if Ken/Kev are in contact (i'm sure Lowe dealt him east on purpose), but it's the big one that got away.
I know Smyth is currently a sure thing, but for what it's worth I've always thought that Bertuzzi has a higher upside than Smyth. When both are at the top of their games, I'd take Bertuzzi. I'm happy with the big spalsh Holland made, any other team that made a big splash payed through the nose. Craig Rivet costed more than Bert!

Calder was a nice depth move aswell, he could fit anywhere in the lineup, we'll just have to wait and see. But the depth upfront really should improve when Calder and Bert are playing (sans Williams). I think the 4th line will be rolled a little more often.

Overall Holland adressed our needs upfront and didn't mess around with what's been working for most of the season (D and goaltending).

Grade: A

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Higgy4

The Wings only give up a #1 if they make the Cup finals and Bertuzzi plays 2/3 of the playoff games...OR...if they resign Bertuzzi.

Holland explained all of the conditions tonight during the broadcast, and afterwards I needed a nap. Its pretty complicated, but the Wings only lose a #1 if the above stipulations are met by the Wings.

I give it an "A", but its an incomplete grade also. Bertuzzi has to be healthy throughout.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
jacK

Quote:
3 #1's for an impending UFA is too rich for my blood.
i've been thru the whole UFA thing, and a deal for him would need an extension; but the Isles didn't give up anything of tremendous value in their swap, i'd equate it to a Hudler, Quincey, and a 1st value-wise... i'd flinch at it, but still do it.
the Bert deal made it less necessary to make any bigger splash, and i'm very happy we swung that deal (which could cost us a very shiny penny), but he's still a ?-mark until he's 100%.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
The Wings only give up a #1 if they make the Cup finals and Bertuzzi plays 2/3 of the playoff games...OR...if they resign Bertuzzi.

Holland explained all of the conditions tonight during the broadcast, and afterwards I needed a nap. Its pretty complicated, but the Wings only lose a #1 if the above stipulations are met by the Wings.

I give it an "A", but its an incomplete grade also. Bertuzzi has to be healthy throughout.
All that and you still messed them up. But I'm pretty sure I will too.

There are two different conditional picks. One is easy. A 2nd rounder in '08 if he re-signs.

The other is a performance based one. It starts as an '07 3rd rounder, so that's guaranteed.

It becomes a 2nd rounder if the Wings make the Conference Finals and Todd plays 2/3rds of the games.

It becomes a 1st rounder if the Wings make the Cup Finals and Todd plays 2/3rds of the playoffs OR if the Wings make the Conference Finals, Todd plays 2/3rds of the playoffs, AND is a top 5 scorer for the Wings.

I think.

sparr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 08:16 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4 View Post
or if he's a top-5 scorer through 2 playoff rounds... or if his birthday happens to fall on a full moon...

edit: nn's got em pretty well covered.

Old
02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
All that and you still messed them up. But I'm pretty sure I will too.

There are two different conditional picks. One is easy. A 2nd rounder in '08 if he re-signs.

The other is a performance based one. It starts as an '07 3rd rounder, so that's guaranteed.

It becomes a 2nd rounder if the Wings make the Conference Finals and Todd plays 2/3rds of the games.

It becomes a 1st rounder if the Wings make the Cup Finals and Todd plays 2/3rds of the playoffs OR if the Wings make the Conference Finals, Todd plays 2/3rds of the playoffs, AND is a top 5 scorer for the Wings.

I think.

I'm missing the long playoff runs and would be happy to part with a 1st to see the Wings go on a tear in the playoffs this season.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Hendo2k

Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
the way the market was set and the active involvemnt Holland was.... i got to give him a good deal of props for the way he handled things this year.

Kenny Holland does NOT get the credit he deserves on these boards. he is SMART with his money and doesnt over-spend on bring in other players by sacrifice this teams future.

this move reminds me alot of the Shanahan one years ago.

Kenny Holland you definetley deserve props on this years trade deadline

Hendo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
SlavaKozlov

No question 'A' IMO. I liked Williams, but there was not doubt that he was a liability in turnovers. I kept hoping he would turn a corner and become a solid offensive 2nd-3rd liner on this team, but he didn't. Hudler, Flip, Grigorenko, etc... (the young guys) should be making their way into top 2 line offensive players, so Willy was expendible. Plus, I think we are going to like Calder. I don't get to watch the games, but it seems he is doing very well tonight and will be a hard worker in the corners and such (the anti-willaims).

The Bertuzzi trade is a win, no matter what in my eyes. Matthias COULD develop into a good player, but he is far from being an impact NHL'er. He is a project, and that was the reason he was drafted. However, the wings only have so many contracts to give out, but I would rather he be traded than Helm, Mursak, Emmerton, Kindl, etc... Especially Kindl... So, basically, at worst the trade is a project prospect and a 3rd for an injured player who didn't come around to be healthy. Best case scenario is Bertuzzi come in, tears it up, we go deep into the playoffs and give up a higher draft pick, which we aren't really used to having anyway. We took a similar risk on Hasek in the preseason, and it worked out extremely well. You have to give to get, and the Wings got a potential game changing power forward by only parting with unknowns. He came cheaper than Tkachuk and Guerin and is younger than either.

Current grade: A, could be an A+ if Bertuzzi plays like the Bertuzzi in Vancouver.

SlavaKozlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:18 PM
MotownMadman

I have to admit that despite not being completely sold on Bert yet, Holland gave up so little in comparison to many of the other trades today that the moves look quite good.

You don't even have to go as far as looking at the Guerin and Tkachuk deals, as Boomhower pointed out, Rivet cost more than Bert.

Holland did a nice job this year. He didn't add a ton of players, but, giving up few assets, met two of the Wings most glaring needs (scoring and grit).

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 10:59 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Calder trade -- A
We get rid of a liability and pick up a guy who can play as a second liner or checker, a better Dan Cleary, IMO.

Bertuzzi Trade -- INC

I like Bertuzzi, but this really comes down to whether he can return from injury and help. He doesn't have to be the old dominating Bert for me to like this trade, but he has to help.

Overall, I applaud Holland for realizing that prospects and draft picks are neccessary to replenish the organization.
Having Calder instead of Williams improves the makeup of this team in the playoffs.
Bertuzzi is the wild card. If he returns to the Todd Bertuzzi of 2002, whoa, lookout. In my book, that would definitely raise my expectations this playoff season.

But if he's the guy who scored 17 goals the season he went BigNasty on steve Moore, then I'm not so sure he gets us much further than we would go without him.

If he can't play at all, or just pain sucks, then he's probably going to be more trouble than he's worth.

But whatever,
I hope the organization had the good sense to do whatever it possibly and legally could to assess Bertuzzi's health.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
stu the grim reaper

i cant believe we still have hudler

stu the grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Eklund is reporting that sarcastro actually smiled upon hearing news of the trades.
Well, Ek had to be right once today, didn't he?

I'll admit it, these are great trades. As much as I dislike ol' Todd, and as much as I doubt that his back will hold up, I look at the prices paid for Guerin, Tkachuk, Forsberg (who had some foot soreness recently, by the way), etc, and I look at the protection the Wings have in this deal - Holland made it sound like they might not owe ANY picks, if things go really badly - and I can't help but think these are great trades. All potential, no risk.

How can anyone think the Bertuzzi deal was a bad trade for the Wings? Even if you hate Bertuzzi, look at the list of positives:

1. Williams is gone.
2. Williams is gone.
3. The Wings still hold the rights to Kindl, Grigorenko, Howard, Mursak, Emmerton, Abba Zabba, Quincey, Ericsson, Meech, Ryno, Helm, and both Axelssons.
4. The Wings will either win 2 playoff rounds, OR keep their 1st round pick. Possibly both, if they win 2 playoff rounds without Bert's help. That is my understanding from Holland's comments - I could be wrong on that. But the first part is 100% accurate. If the Wings don't make the conference finals, they don't give up their 1st.
5. Filppula and Hudler are still in the fold.
6. The worst case scenario is, the Wings traded Williams and Matthias for Calder. Looking at some of the other trades (Boyes for Wideman ), THAT would even be a decent trade.

Even I can now see a scenario where the Wings win the Cup. And they didn't throw away their futures or bog down their cap in future seasons to do it. Great moves.

edit - You will see GMs trying to get these kinds of stipulations and conditions in future deadline deals. Especially when Tkachuk, Guerin, and Forsberg all sign back with the teams that dealt them. There will be a TON of scorched earth from this year's deadline, and it will affect the way GMs do business in the future. I can't believe Holland is the smart one that bought the insurance policy.

Last edited by sarcastro: 02-27-2007 at 11:53 PM.
sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:00 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu the grim reaper View Post
i cant believe we still have hudler
Given that Babcock used him with Maltby and Draper all night, I almost wonder why they even want him.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Coffey77

I like both moves by Holland. Wings didn't give up a whole lot in the deals. And even if the Wings do surrender a first, that means Bertuzzi and the team did well so I won't mind that.

I'm glad Holland didn't sacrifice Filppula, Kindl and co. Because a good number of the teams trading did move their kids.

As far as Smyth goes, it sounds from TSN that few GM's even really knew he was available. But the price would have been too high if Detroit and others found out. A first round pick and 2 good prospects, and that's only with probably one bidder in the Islanders.

Coffey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Spitfire11

Have to give him an A.

These were the two guys I was hoping they'd pick up and Holland got them both at minimal cost.

Calder showed tonight that he battles in the corners for the puck and goes to the net, exactly what the Wings have needed for a long time. Bertuzzi is a pretty big question mark, but if healthy and on his game there wasn't a better player available (Smyth included).

Both of these guys are also UFA and will have pressure to produce in order to land nice contracts. Holland might also be able to re-sign Calder at a bargain price considering the awful season he's had this year.

Should be fun to see the team when Bertuzzi finally gets into the lineup

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:08 AM
ShippinItDaily

Send a message via MSN to ShippinItDaily
Great work by Holland. I really like both of these pick-ups and if they play hard and contribute in the playoffs I would certainly entertain signing both to new deals.

Question: What do we do with Samuellson when everybody gets healthy?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Calder-Lang-Bertuzzi
Maltby-Draper-Cleary
Franzen-Filpulla-Samuellson

H.S. Hudler?

ShippinItDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:21 AM
FissionFire

Franzen and Draper are a PK tandem now and will be on a line together. Swap him for Cleary and I think you got the lines right.

There's an outside chance that Babs puts Calder on the 4th line and Samuelsson on the 2nd to get a "shooter" on that line and create a very dangerous "energy" line. We'll see.....

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:07 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

I agree with you guys, Holland did a terrific job this year.

To be honest I think that we have one of the best GM in the league, why?
Look at other clubs and see what they gave up!

If you look around the league and see what kind of contracts players get, I truly believe that Holland made some good choices!

Some examples of bad GMs: NY Islanders, Tampa Bay, Phoenix, LA Kings, Montreal, Colorado and some more!!!

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote