HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Frontenacs New Arena and Franchise In Jeopardy...

Old
02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
frontsfan2005

vCash: 500
Frontenacs New Arena and Franchise In Jeopardy...

Kingston City Council is voting tonight whether to continue building the new arena or to cancel the project. Its expected the project will be over budget by $4 million. The arena has been being built since the summer, and would cost $13.5 million to have it cancelled.

Fronts co-owner Doug Springer has said if its cancelled, the Fronts will be put up for sale as early as tomorrow and will be moved to another city, with the Mantha Group in North Bay the early favourites to buy the club and move them back into that city.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Tinalera

Regardless of who one roots for, no one wants to see an area lose a team. Here's hoping the council swallows the extra 4 mil and keeps the Fronts in Kingston.

If they've already started building it, what would they do if it didn't go through, build something else? Usually projects like this would get canned before turning the first mound of earth if at all.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:04 AM
kenadian

Maybe Springer should pony up some of his OWN money for the arena! No way they cancel the project now.......they end up spending 13 Mil to cancel contracts, and end up with what a hole in the ground. But for 4 Mil more they get the arena finished......

It would be nice for council to call his bluff, but it won't happen (moving I mean)

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Tinalera

I would think it would be a no brainer for the council, spend the extra 4 million and save 9.5 in cancellation costs and you get your returns.

BTW, what's the seating number going to be for the arena?

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 11:17 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I would think it would be a no brainer for the council, spend the extra 4 million and save 9.5 in cancellation costs and you get your returns.

BTW, what's the seating number going to be for the arena?
5,000 right now ... 6,000 maybe.

The rink will be built. Cancelling it would be suicide. Springer already said he'd move the team if it's not.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:27 PM
frontsfan2005

Well last night at the City Council meeting, nothing was resolved and they are to meet again pretty soon. And yea, Springer has said the Fronts are as good as gone if the arena isn't built.

http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepa...ame=Local+News

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Camshaft77

It would be a darn shame to see the Fronts go and the new arena not be built. Having grown up in Kingston and played my minor hockey there in the 90's, it was time then to replace the MCenter. Even though i love the character in that building nothing beats looking at the Queen when your on the ice.

What gets me really rattled is that everyone knows the facility is needed, it's just getting everyone on the same page to get it done.

Lets hope Kingston gets the rink and the Fronts stay because it would be a sad day for the city if they did leave.

Camshaft77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:49 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft77 View Post
It would be a darn shame to see the Fronts go and the new arena not be built. Having grown up in Kingston and played my minor hockey there in the 90's, it was time then to replace the MCenter. Even though i love the character in that building nothing beats looking at the Queen when your on the ice.

What gets me really rattled is that everyone knows the facility is needed, it's just getting everyone on the same page to get it done.

Lets hope Kingston gets the rink and the Fronts stay because it would be a sad day for the city if they did leave.

The mess is finally over with the rink going ahead as planned.

Rosen blocked any further attempt by renegade council to hold it up any longer.

Done deal rink will be finished.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote