HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Play off lines?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2007, 09:06 PM
  #1
MotownMadman
Registered User
 
MotownMadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 500
Play off lines?

Now that the trades are done, what do you think the lines will look like in the playoffs?

Hank-Pasha-Homer
Cleary-Lang-Bert
Maltby-Draper-Franzen
Calder-Flipper-Samuelsson

I figure that the first line will stay the same due to the chemistry (if it ain't broke...). I kept Cleary on the 2nd line because he's earned it this season.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:13 AM
  #2
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,745
vCash: 500
The playoffs aren't about "earning it", they are about producing, and Cleary isn't. The playoff lines will be:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi
Maltby - Draper - Franzen
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson

The only alternative might be Babs wanting a "shooter" on the Lang line and swapping Calder with Samuelsson. If that happens, the 2nd line might be a bit weak defensively but the 4th line will be an awesome "energy" line which can score with regularity.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:26 AM
  #3
Gozer
Registered User
 
Gozer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Västerås
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,770
vCash: 500
I haven't seen much of Calder, but why do most people think he will play on the second line? He sure doesn't sound like a second line guy if you judge by what I've seen many Philly fans write about him.

Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:30 AM
  #4
Zorin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
Seing that....

Instantly we have two great scoring lines. But what is best at that... is there a better 4th line in terms of scoring in this league then

Cleary (with 20 goals this year!!), Filps and Sammy (capable of 20 goals as well)???

Pretty scary, I think. And a lot of energy as well.

IF Bert and Dom stay healthy the wings will be a terribly tough team to beat! And even if one of them collapses they will still be competitive. I mean... after all Ozzy has won a cup as starter already and plays a solid, though injury plagued, season too. And Hudler is not all that shabby either in my books.

Zorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
  #5
Storm
Registered User
 
Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Storm
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom great 1st line, they play wonderful this season also 1st PP line
Calder-Lang-Bertuzzi all players are phisical players.Calder also is fast. 2nd PP line and may be PK line
Franzen-Draper-Moltby el classico PK line and checking line
Samuelsson-Hudler(or somebody else)-Cleary no comments - the best 4th lines in the league.Ability to play 4 line-team in PO.
Reserve - Fillpula, Langfield.

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Markov-Schneider
Chelios-Lebda
Reserve - Lilja

Hasek-Osgood
Reserve - Howard

Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
  #6
jacK
Registered User
 
jacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
we needed another topic like this?

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
  #7
Cyberslacker
Registered User
 
Cyberslacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom great 1st line, they play wonderful this season also 1st PP line
Calder-Lang-Bertuzzi all players are phisical players.Calder also is fast. 2nd PP line and may be PK line
Franzen-Draper-Moltby el classico PK line and checking line
Samuelsson-Hudler(or somebody else)-Cleary no comments - the best 4th lines in the league.Ability to play 4 line-team in PO.
Reserve - Fillpula, Langfield.

Lidstrom-Kronwall
Markov-Schneider
Chelios-Lebda
Reserve - Lilja

Hasek-Osgood
Reserve - Howard
Lang may be big, but physical? No.
I'd also take Filpula over Hudler.

Cyberslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:57 PM
  #8
BIGZ40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
I know you don't want to split Z and dats up, but if they struggle what would you think of maybe,

Holmstrom - Z - Bertuzzi
Calder - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filpulla - Lang - Hudler
Maltby - Draper - Cleary/Samuelsson

Cleary has had an incredible year (for him), but he's dropped off of late. He works hard and babs seems to like people like that, as for samuelsson he is a ? mark i don't know if they like him more than hudler or vice versa. I'd like these lines if and only if the first line starts to drop off, top 2 lines have grit and scoring ability.

BIGZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
  #9
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGZ40 View Post
I know you don't want to split Z and dats up, but if they struggle what would you think of maybe,

Holmstrom - Z - Bertuzzi
Calder - Datsyuk - Franzen
Filpulla - Lang - Hudler
Maltby - Draper - Cleary/Samuelsson

Cleary has had an incredible year (for him), but he's dropped off of late. He works hard and babs seems to like people like that, as for samuelsson he is a ? mark i don't know if they like him more than hudler or vice versa. I'd like these lines if and only if the first line starts to drop off, top 2 lines have grit and scoring ability.
I've been thinking alot about this lately as well. With calder and bertuzzi along with samuelsson if he's healthy we've got alot more depth than we had a couple weeks ago. The best option in this scenario is to roll pairs with rotating wingers til some kind of chemistry is formed. Pairs i'd use in bold. as far as sammy/cleary/hudler i'd take the two with the hottest hands going into the playoffs. IMO unless hudler's red hot i doubt he sees the ice in the playoffs. I could be wrong, but we'll see. This is what I think the lines could be, but as i said, the wingers could be subject to change.

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Filppula - Zetterberg - Calder
Franzen - Lang - Samuelsson
Maltby - Draper - Cleary
Hudler

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:18 PM
  #10
Zetterberg4Captain*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
The playoffs aren't about "earning it", they are about producing, and Cleary isn't. The playoff lines will be:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Calder - Lang - Bertuzzi
Maltby - Draper - Franzen
Cleary - Filppula - Samuelsson

The only alternative might be Babs wanting a "shooter" on the Lang line and swapping Calder with Samuelsson. If that happens, the 2nd line might be a bit weak defensively but the 4th line will be an awesome "energy" line which can score with regularity.
I think these lines here look the best.

Zetterberg4Captain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:01 AM
  #11
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,824
vCash: 500
I hope it doesn't come to this, but i wonder if Babcock would go all the way to put

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi

as a line if we were desperately looking for offense.

Realistically, i hope it doesn't happen because it would probably mean that we're in a deep hole, but you could only wonder what those guys could do.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:53 AM
  #12
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,657
vCash: 500
I would do my lines like this:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Homer
Calder-Lang-Bertuzzi
Maltby-Draper-Franzen
Cleary-Filppula-Sammy
Ex: Hudler

Notes on offense:
- I would't touch the top line unless they start struggling in the playoffs.
- The second line should get Lang going with Bert on his wing, putting Calder there should spark some kind of energy as well since he can do some of the dirty work around the corners.
- The third line is a grindline.
- The 4th line knows how to cycle the puck well around the net, plus Cleary and Sammy know how to score so potentially some offense can come out of this line.

Lidstrom - Markov
Krowall - Schneider
Chelios - Lebda
Ex: Lilja

Notes on the D:
- The top pairing is fine.
- I'm giving Krowall a big job here on the second pairing because Schneider is a guy that likes to go up and score, so if Kronny can handle that I'll keep this and if not then perhaps putting Kronny with Lidstrom would be best.
- The third pairing is great because Chelios is a guy who's in your face and Lebda can do the end to end rushes without worrying much about the defense with Chelly back there.

Hasek
Osgood
Emergency: Howard

Notes on the G:
- Let's hope Hasek can stay healthy, if not then let's hope both of Ozzy and Howard can handle the big show.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:16 AM
  #13
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 10,745
vCash: 500
After the 2 games with the Hawks, I'm thinking a completely new lineup might work. Really curious to see it against some better teams first though:

Filppula or Hudler / Datsyuk / Holmstrom
Samuelsson / Zetterberg / Bertuzzi
Calder / Lang / Franzen
Maltby / Draper / Cleary

D looks like he has chemistry with Flip and maybe Hoodlum. That Lang line is gelling well. Let the injured guys are come back as a line. Cleary would fit well with Draper and Maltby (he was kicking butt on that line which caused him to get the promotion when he was hot, remember?). That's 4 pretty potent lines there and all with at least one excellent defensive player.....

Best part, you can always compact the lines to pump up the offense if necessary. You just cut out the 4th line and roll these:

Zetterberg / Datsyuk / Holmstrom
Calder / Lang / Bertuzzi
Maltby / Draper / Franzen or Cleary

Like I said, this all depends on how well things go against teams not based in Chicago, but the early returns were encouraging with those patchwork lines.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 02:39 AM
  #14
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221 View Post
I've been thinking alot about this lately as well. With calder and bertuzzi along with samuelsson if he's healthy we've got alot more depth than we had a couple weeks ago. The best option in this scenario is to roll pairs with rotating wingers til some kind of chemistry is formed. Pairs i'd use in bold. as far as sammy/cleary/hudler i'd take the two with the hottest hands going into the playoffs. IMO unless hudler's red hot i doubt he sees the ice in the playoffs. I could be wrong, but we'll see. This is what I think the lines could be, but as i said, the wingers could be subject to change.

Holmstrom - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Filppula - Zetterberg - Calder
Franzen - Lang - Samuelsson
Maltby - Draper - Cleary
Hudler

I kind of think that Bertuzzi has to play with Lang so that Lang can get going. Lang has been slumping for about 2 months now, but it was not like that we remember him from the playoffs. So I think Lang with Bertuzzi and Cleary, but it seems like Lang is doing fine with Franzen and Calder now.
As for Hudler and Filppula, I think Filppula is the better all around player, but Hudler is better offensively.
If everybody healthy and Babcock has to choose between those 2, I think he goes with Filppula. At this point I would also go with Filppula, but it might change before the PO.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:35 PM
  #15
Ultimate*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Lines 1A
As a coach, this is would be my first choice:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Hudler/Filppula/Bertuzzi
Calder/Lang/Cleary
Maltby/Draper/Franzen(Samuelsson)

First line is obviously set in stone. I would play the hell out of those two kids and with Bertuzzi on the wing, the lack of size would be fulfilled. Lang and Cleary showed some chemistry earlier this season and the addition of Calder should provide them with the extra step they have been missing over the last little while. Samuelsson would be substituted for Franzen if a scoring touch is needed on the fourth line.

Lines 1B
If the top line struggles, this would be the alternative:

Calder/Zetterberg/Holmstrom
Filppula/Datsyuk/Bertuzzi
Hudler/Lang/Franzen
Maltby/Draper/Cleary(Samuelsson)

Calder and Holmstrom will do the dirty deeds along the boards and in front of the net while Zetterberg sets the play. Datysuk and Filppula can be the playmakers for the power forward in Bertuzzi. Franzen can be the grinder for the Czech connection and again, Samuelsson would be substitute on the fourth line.

Lines 1C
However, this is what we will most likely see:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Calder/Lang/Bertuzzi
Maltby/Draper/Franzen
Cleary/Filppula/Samuelsson
Hudler

Ultimate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
  #16
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownMadman View Post
Now that the trades are done, what do you think the lines will look like in the playoffs?

Hank-Pasha-Homer
Cleary-Lang-Bert
Maltby-Draper-Franzen
Calder-Flipper-Samuelsson

I figure that the first line will stay the same due to the chemistry (if it ain't broke...). I kept Cleary on the 2nd line because he's earned it this season.
Where does the Griffins line fit in?

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
  #17
MotownMadman
Registered User
 
MotownMadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Where does the Griffins line fit in?
Grand Rapids, MI

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.