HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

.. so after the dust settled..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2007, 02:47 AM
  #26
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
If the same scouting staff from years past were here I might be inclined to agree with you. But as of right now we have virtually no idea of what strategy this "new" scouting staff will employ in the coming years.
What new scouting staff?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:07 AM
  #27
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
What new scouting staff?
The one that is replacing the old one.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...ck=1&cset=true

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:56 AM
  #28
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!
 
Knight of the Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Westeros
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 500
i concur that its all going to be about the offseason. i think one premium UFA and one lesser light UFA is all we will get since we have to sign cammy as well. i hope DL makes the right choices. should we sign a high profile forward and second tier defensemen or vice-versa? would DL let cammy walk for all the RF returns and try and use that money on someone else?

I think souray/markov and hartnell would be a good combo...
maybe gomez/smyth and stuart as well

should we let cammy go and try to sign gomez/smyth and maybe hannan?

there are alot of possibilities and tough choices for DL...hope he's liked around the league and that the rumour about players not wanting to play in CA are false.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:17 PM
  #29
Fat Elvis
Registered User
 
Fat Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Money Pit
Country: United States
Posts: 5,315
vCash: 500
So after the dust settles, what does the new and improved top 20 look like?

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
  #30
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,858
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Think you should go and take a nice long look at DL's drafting. It isn't better then DT's.

O yea DL didn't draft Toskala or Nabokov...
It's not?! Are you kidding me? He's drafted the following guys who have made the NHL.

Zyuzin, Sturm, Bradley, Marleau, Hannan, Severson, Smith, Stuart, Cheechoo, Davison, Samuelsson, Fahey, Jillson, Dimitrakos, Murray, Hyvonen, Schafer, Goc, Ehrhoff, Plihal, Clowe, Michalek, Bernier, Hennessey, Carle, and Pavelski.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:25 PM
  #31
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The difference between Rivet and Norstrom is steep financially, therefore the different returns. Rivet is a UFA after the season but Dallas is stuck with Norstrom and his God awful contract. Getting out from under Norstrom's contract is a huge step forward for the Kings. You can't afford to pay players who don't play offense 4 million bucks in the current NHL especially at his age.
Norstrom's contract is far from atrocious despite what many people here believe. Look at the contract's around the league, the Norstrom deal was right in line with the league market for defenseman.
Willie Mitchell - 3.5 million
Jay McKee - 4 million
Aaron Ward - 2.75 million
Marek Malik - 2.5 million
Hall Gill - 2.05 million
Craig Rivet - 2.5 million
Norstrom is a considerable improvement on any of these defenseman. He is a much better player, IMO and he adds alot more than any of them with his leadership and compitiveness.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:50 PM
  #32
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
The one that is replacing the old one.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...ck=1&cset=true
That's not the link that I'm waiting for. Again... what new scouting staff?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
  #33
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
That's not the link that I'm waiting for. Again... what new scouting staff?
I know what you are refering to.....and it is coming.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:41 PM
  #34
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgKings13 View Post
Norstrom's contract is far from atrocious despite what many people here believe. Look at the contract's around the league, the Norstrom deal was right in line with the league market for defenseman.
Willie Mitchell - 3.5 million
Jay McKee - 4 million
Aaron Ward - 2.75 million
Marek Malik - 2.5 million
Hall Gill - 2.05 million
Craig Rivet - 2.5 million
Norstrom is a considerable improvement on any of these defenseman. He is a much better player, IMO and he adds alot more than any of them with his leadership and compitiveness.
Out of those guys the only guy I would want on my team would be Mitchell, the guys listed are all specialty 4-5-6 dmen. McKee is 29, Mitchell is 29, Ward is 34 but got his deal coming off a Cup and a career year, Malik is 31, is huge and is a +120 in his career, Gill is 31 and is also 6'7 250, Rivet is 32. Norstrom, on the other hand is 35 years old. He's a -20 this year. In the playoffs he's totaled 31 games for no goals and 2 points. He has no upside, he doesn't have the size of a Malik or Gill and he's just too old to be locking up long term. Don't get me wrong, Norstrom is a useful NHL player and a stay at home dman, I just think for the Kings to move forward those types of older, less productive players with big money contracts need to be moved. Lombardi made the right move long term for the Kings.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:08 AM
  #35
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Out of those guys the only guy I would want on my team would be Mitchell, the guys listed are all specialty 4-5-6 dmen. McKee is 29, Mitchell is 29, Ward is 34 but got his deal coming off a Cup and a career year, Malik is 31, is huge and is a +120 in his career, Gill is 31 and is also 6'7 250, Rivet is 32. Norstrom, on the other hand is 35 years old. He's a -20 this year. In the playoffs he's totaled 31 games for no goals and 2 points. He has no upside, he doesn't have the size of a Malik or Gill and he's just too old to be locking up long term. Don't get me wrong, Norstrom is a useful NHL player and a stay at home dman, I just think for the Kings to move forward those types of older, less productive players with big money contracts need to be moved. Lombardi made the right move long term for the Kings.
I fully agree. However the point i was trying to make in that post was that Norstrom's contract is not out of line with the league market for defenseman. And although he is older he is still a better player NOW than any of the listed, and although Kings fans hated the contract, that is what it costs to lock up key players. Now that they were not competing the contract was a burden, but if they were competing it would not be such a bad deal.

And, name one thing that Malik and Gill do real well other than be huge? Yes they are huge and play a responsible game, but do not come close to offering what Norstrom does. McKee and Ward are very comparable, but less talented, IMO. And hard to blame Matty on the -20 because Matty was a very bad team and was always matched up against the opposing teams top lines.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:36 AM
  #36
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
DL did good.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
  #37
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,472
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct View Post
DL did good.
I agree. The deadline deals were probably the biggest step forward this franchise had taken since they drafted Anze Kopitar. Hopefully this summer there will be some more forward steps and less Cloutier, Wilsie, Thornton, MCcauley-like steps back.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.