HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Thank You Ryan Smyth And Thank You Kevin Lowe...

Old
02-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=HotToddy;8291807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Stars-Weight, Cujo

Solid-Arnott, Marchant, Maltby, McAmmond, Thornton, Buchberger, Marchment, Richardson, Ranford

Under utilized-Satan

Too young to contribute-Smyth

Fraser and Slats at their finest-Wright and Bonsignore.

Is ANYONE on this board going to tell me with a straight face that Slats and Fraser's last 10 years of drafting would be better than what Lowe and Prendergast will get us??? Yeah, I didn't think so.[/QUOTE

Who the ****** is talking about drafting records??

I'm talking about playing a lineup of kids who talented as they may be,will struggle.

Rookies = suck, the less rookie games we have the better chace we have of winning, Lowe basically just set us up for two more years of breaking in rookies. That means more struggles.
Sounds a lot like Buffalo 3 years ago. I will take their path of developing a team over the Leafs any day.

We have far too many prospects to keep. I think you are fooling yourself if you don't think Lowe will trade some of them for a good player in the next 2 years.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
But hey, there is something to be said for optimism.
I'm usually on your side (pessimistic) this time IMO the right thing was done. If we would've given Ryan say $5.5 million, where do we get the $ under the cap to re-sign Gator and add a $4-$5 million defenseman??? It sucks that Ryan left, it honestly hit me a little harder than I thought that it would, that said, Lowe did what he thought was best. Do you or anyone else think that he feels that this trade and how he does this off-season will likely be the defining moment of his career??? He realizes that this could blow up in his face. He knows that it's his ***.

02-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

[QUOTE=oilerlova;8292592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post

Sounds a lot like Buffalo 3 years ago. I will take their path of developing a team over the Leafs any day.

We have far too many prospects to keep. I think you are fooling yourself if you don't think Lowe will trade some of them for a good player in the next 2 years.
Agreed, it's pretty obvious that all of Schremp, Pouliot, Cogliano, Stoll, Horcoff, and O'Marra will not be here in 2-3 seasons. Some of these assets will be used to move up in the draft or acquire the type of player that we need.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Gunner8811

[QUOTE=oilerlova;8292592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post

I thought that this would have been done over the course of this year. There were times when this team really needed some help, or a shot in the arm and it never came.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

[QUOTE=Gunner8811;8292694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I thought that this would have been done over the course of this year. There were times when this team really needed some help, or a shot in the arm and it never came.
The core pieces of the team need to be put together in the offseason. If we learned anything this year, it is that teams prefer to see what they have for the first 40 games. If Lowe sees a player that can help his team, he has to get that player in the offseason since it will be too hard to do during the season.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:29 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
I'm usually on your side (pessimistic) this time IMO the right thing was done. If we would've given Ryan say $5.5 million, where do we get the $ under the cap to re-sign Gator and add a $4-$5 million defenseman??? It sucks that Ryan left, it honestly hit me a little harder than I thought that it would, that said, Lowe did what he thought was best. Do you or anyone else think that he feels that this trade and how he does this off-season will likely be the defining moment of his career??? He realizes that this could blow up in his face. He knows that it's his ***.
I'm usually optimistic, I think. And I'm sad and frustrated right now, but I'll give this trade the benefit of the doubt until September.

I think that it might be time for this organization - from ownership & management through the dressing room and down to the fans - to start asking some really tough questions.

Colorado didn't have to move Sakic at the trade-deadline in order to ensure they got something for him lest he move for nothing. Why don't we have that relationship with our face-of-the-franchise Smyth? Why didn't we have it with Comrie (ptoo)? Two local boys who grew up watching the dynasty. Why does Doug Weight take a discount to go back to St. Louis as a UFA and not to the Oilers?

I mean, of all the franchises, why don't we engender that sort of loyalty? We're the ones with the Boys on the Bus. With the Heritage Classic. Once an Oiler, always an Oiler and look at them lining up tonight proving our point. But, in practice, does it mean anything?

Why doesn't Lowe give no-trade clauses? Why is that *our* policy? Other teams give them and, really, it doesn't seem to hinder them all that much when it comes to trading players.

Disgruntled players have referred to the Oiler mentality as a 'cult'. What is that Oiler mentality? We do seem to have more than our share of ugliness and secrets and rumors, or are we just more aware of them because of our hockey-mad fishbowl?

I dunno. I don't know if something is wrong or isn't right or if everything is progressing nicely, things are darkest before the dawn, and the answers are just around the corner.

But it wouldn't hurt everybody to ask those questions, especially management. It wouldn't hurt to take a careful, considered look at how we're doing things, and whether or not we could do them differently.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:32 AM
AM

There is only one

rational for this trade.

Ryan Smyth thought he was bigger then the team.

5 million would not be an over payment for Smyth.

If he wanted 5.75 for all 5 years then it was unacceptable.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I'm usually optimistic, I think. And I'm sad and frustrated right now, but I'll give this trade the benefit of the doubt until September.

I think that it might be time for this organization - from ownership & management through the dressing room and down to the fans - to start asking some really tough questions.

Colorado didn't have to move Sakic at the trade-deadline in order to ensure they got something for him lest he move for nothing. Why don't we have that relationship with our face-of-the-franchise Smyth? Why didn't we have it with Comrie (ptoo)? Two local boys who grew up watching the dynasty. Why does Doug Weight take a discount to go back to St. Louis as a UFA and not to the Oilers?

I mean, of all the franchises, why don't we engender that sort of loyalty? We're the ones with the Boys on the Bus. With the Heritage Classic. Once an Oiler, always an Oiler and look at them lining up tonight proving our point. But, in practice, does it mean anything?

Why doesn't Lowe give no-trade clauses? Why is that *our* policy? Other teams give them and, really, it doesn't seem to hinder them all that much when it comes to trading players.

Disgruntled players have referred to the Oiler mentality as a 'cult'. What is that Oiler mentality? We do seem to have more than our share of ugliness and secrets and rumors, or are we just more aware of them because of our hockey-mad fishbowl?

I dunno. I don't know if something is wrong or isn't right or if everything is progressing nicely, things are darkest before the dawn, and the answers are just around the corner.

But it wouldn't hurt everybody to ask those questions, especially management. It wouldn't hurt to take a careful, considered look at how we're doing things, and whether or not we could do them differently.

I can't argue with any of those points, IMO they are all very valid questions that should be addressed.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
oilersotaki

not rebuild but reload

Lowe even said it in his post trade interview. He said that the wealth of assets give them the position to make deals for the future. He said that they will aim to win next year. I don't think the aim here is to rebuild the prospects and wait for them to develop in the next 3 or 4 years.

Instead, he now has the picks and prospects to make deals with other clubs. I think we can all acknowledge that Edmonton is not the prime UFA destination, and like the Pronger trade, he needs assets to trade in order to get the big ticket players.

Basically I think Lowe weighed the choices of over paying Smyth and the resultant tie up of money in a salary cap world versus freeing up that same amount of money to get another player plus the aquired assets. At some point when Smyth's demands for term and/or salary got too high, the balances tipped over to trading him.

I don't ever think that signing him after the trade deadline was an option. It sounded like Meehan wasn't giving any assurances that Ryan would make a deal.

oilersotaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:44 AM
AM

Where

are we going to get the ~35 odd goals RS provides per year?

Also, all of the pucks he wins?

Hemsky is going to have to drop his turnover rate in half to start with.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:00 AM
oiler4ever

Quote:
Name the great young talent that we had in the 90's??? ..
Steven Rice
Scott Pearson
Louie DeBrusk
Dan Currie
Scott Fraser
Bill McDougall
Brad Werenka
Kevin Todd

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
oiler4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
are we going to get the ~35 odd goals RS provides per year?

Also, all of the pucks he wins?

Hemsky is going to have to drop his turnover rate in half to start with.
How many points are we ahead of Calgary? How many cups Smyttie brought here? Bottom line is he is not worth 5+ Million. move on

oiler4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:20 AM
PunjabiOil*

http://www.nhl.com/columns/wigge/smyth121605.html

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
How many points are we ahead of Calgary? How many cups Smyttie brought here? Bottom line is he is not worth 5+ Million. move on
AM asks a valid question. We've traded not just the face and heart of the Oilers, but also the Oilers 1st line LW and most consistent player.

For the Oilers to challenge for the playoffs next year, the question must be addressed - where is the 35 goals and the consistent play going to come from?

Realize that this trade now makes Raffi Torres, notable for his consistent inconsistency, the Oilers #1 natural LW. Or maybe Sykora? Last night it was Pisani.

Perhaps its going to be a UFA over the summer. Regardless, the goals and play have to come from somewhere for the Oilers to contend again.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Masterplan*

Smyth was worth 5.5 mil next year and probably the year after that. However the next 3 years would probably be the twilight of his career (especially given the type of player he is), and you'd still propose paying him 5.5 mil? This is why you aren't a GM in the NHL.

It's probably better that you remember him for the player he is now, and then mortgage the Oiler's future on him in 5 years to get him back at the trade-deadline for your playoff run....

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
AM

next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Smyth was worth 5.5 mil next year and probably the year after that. However the next 3 years would probably be the twilight of his career (especially given the type of player he is), and you'd still propose paying him 5.5 mil? This is why you aren't a GM in the NHL.

It's probably better that you remember him for the player he is now, and then mortgage the Oiler's future on him in 5 years to get him back at the trade-deadline for your playoff run....
how about this year...... many fans hadnt put the team to bed just yet.

And how about season ticket holders? Lowe just made a bait and switch as far as I'm concerned.