HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Our cupboard

Old
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
HenrikO'doyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
I think the Rangers are hoping one of either Tyutin or Staal can become that big hitter, and in all fairness to Fedor, he has stepped his game up this season from last, and I think there is still room for growth of his game and physical growth. He still looks like he's filling out to me, and he has taken on a more physical presence .
I like Tyutin however I dont think he will be that type of player who makes you remember to keep your head up when crossing the blueline. Like Beukeboom or Tyutin's mentor Kasparaitis(When he was in his glory days) i think we need a defenseman like that to keep other teams on edge and force them to slow down when they get the puck. Too often teams get the puck now and just rush down and score on us, a tough big tie hitting defenseman changes that, hopefully Staal can do that for us.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Fletch

Tyutin has been more physical and aggressive...

but there is a difference between first half Tyutin and second half Tyutin, whereby first half Toots was more aggressive.

And having a big hitter's fine, but this team just needs a guy who can battle with the big guys, come away with the puck, and execute the breakout pass/skate it out. I love hits like anyone else, but as we saw with Kaspar a lot, sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Ola

Staal-Mara

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Fish

I hate to be the only negative voice here, but I believe there needs to be some balance. In terms of size and age, they don't mean a lot if the player just isn't very good. Take for instance a guy like Hugh Jessiman...big guy, young...but hardly what you'd call a great prospect at this point.

So while Mara is indeed bigger than Ward, and is indeed younger than Ward...he is at the moment only just a different player with a different set of problems.

For instance...since becoming a pro, Mara has been traded three times now, all by teams that frankly needed players to step up (just as the Rangers do now). He played parts of three seasons with the Lightning, and never saw a playoff game...made just 5 playoff appearances with Phoenix over four years and is likely to miss the playoffs again this year.

Either he's very unlucky, or there are some questions about his offensive production and defensive prowess at even strength. While his -104 for his career doesn't tell a complete picture, it's not encouraging and certainly when you take into context he's only been a "plus" one time in his NHL career, and that in a short stint.

Ward was far from perfect either, but I see this as a lateral trade at this point. His additional $250K of salary probably won't make a huge difference, and he appears to miss around the same amount of games that Ward did from year to year.

His offense seems to be pretty spotty though it does appear to be an improvement over what the Rangers already have...his defense is a bit of an unknown, because for the most part I don't think we've watched him in that context.

As for what's coming up from Hartford, I think there's a handful of promising players down there at the moment, with a few more that might need some more work. I'm not that high on Korpikoski, and I think his offense will be the thing that holds him back...I'm expecting that we've got the next version on Niklas Sundstrom there. Ryan Callahan is a guy who's effort you have to love, but he's not what you'd a player who has above average offensive gifts...he works hard for his goals, but we'll see whether that translates to the NHL.

Dawes and Dubinsky have been guys I've been moderately disappointed with this year. I was hoping to see more offensive creativity from both...I think the demotion impacted Dawes, while Dubinsky I think is realizing how much more he needs to work...and perhaps might not be quick enough offensively (though hopefully that will come). Greg Moore's also been disappointing, particularly on the defensive side of the ice, though again hopefully that's just adjustment to the new league.

Ultimately it is difficult to judge the Hartford players individually because it really is a "team" vs a bunch of individuals. They play much better as a whole than you can expect from the individual parts, and they were handicapped early by being such a young team.

If I was to predict at the moment, I probably see one additional defenseman as becoming an NHL regular (Baranka) though I hold out hope for Liffiton. I think Montoya will make it as a goaltender, and I think the best forward is actually the newly acquired Bourret. Callahan, Dawes, Korpikoski, Dubinsky and Byers would be guys I hope push for jobs, with Callahan I think the closest to gaining a spot, followed by Dawes. Helminen's a bit of a wild card, but I'm not expecting him to be a regular at this stage.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:00 PM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I hate to be the only negative voice here, but I believe there needs to be some balance. In terms of size and age, they don't mean a lot if the player just isn't very good. Take for instance a guy like Hugh Jessiman...big guy, young...but hardly what you'd call a great prospect at this point.

So while Mara is indeed bigger than Ward, and is indeed younger than Ward...he is at the moment only just a different player with a different set of problems.

For instance...since becoming a pro, Mara has been traded three times now, all by teams that frankly needed players to step up (just as the Rangers do now). He played parts of three seasons with the Lightning, and never saw a playoff game...made just 5 playoff appearances with Phoenix over four years and is likely to miss the playoffs again this year.

Either he's very unlucky, or there are some questions about his offensive production and defensive prowess at even strength. While his -104 for his career doesn't tell a complete picture, it's not encouraging and certainly when you take into context he's only been a "plus" one time in his NHL career, and that in a short stint.

Ward was far from perfect either, but I see this as a lateral trade at this point. His additional $250K of salary probably won't make a huge difference, and he appears to miss around the same amount of games that Ward did from year to year.

His offense seems to be pretty spotty though it does appear to be an improvement over what the Rangers already have...his defense is a bit of an unknown, because for the most part I don't think we've watched him in that context.

As for what's coming up from Hartford, I think there's a handful of promising players down there at the moment, with a few more that might need some more work. I'm not that high on Korpikoski, and I think his offense will be the thing that holds him back...I'm expecting that we've got the next version on Niklas Sundstrom there. Ryan Callahan is a guy who's effort you have to love, but he's not what you'd a player who has above average offensive gifts...he works hard for his goals, but we'll see whether that translates to the NHL.

Dawes and Dubinsky have been guys I've been moderately disappointed with this year. I was hoping to see more offensive creativity from both...I think the demotion impacted Dawes, while Dubinsky I think is realizing how much more he needs to work...and perhaps might not be quick enough offensively (though hopefully that will come). Greg Moore's also been disappointing, particularly on the defensive side of the ice, though again hopefully that's just adjustment to the new league.

Ultimately it is difficult to judge the Hartford players individually because it really is a "team" vs a bunch of individuals. They play much better as a whole than you can expect from the individual parts, and they were handicapped early by being such a young team.

If I was to predict at the moment, I probably see one additional defenseman as becoming an NHL regular (Baranka) though I hold out hope for Liffiton. I think Montoya will make it as a goaltender, and I think the best forward is actually the newly acquired Bourret. Callahan, Dawes, Korpikoski, Dubinsky and Byers would be guys I hope push for jobs, with Callahan I think the closest to gaining a spot, followed by Dawes. Helminen's a bit of a wild card, but I'm not expecting him to be a regular at this stage.

Perhaps we should play Mara with Malik & that +/- will start to change! :-)

I don't think Helminen will make it with this club. I think you are right with Callahan but I think Korpikoski might crack the team! Hes looking very solid in Hartford.

When I first heard the Boston deal, I didn't want Mara but I had a sick feeling in my stomach that it was going to be him.

The Bourret trade took that sick feeling away. :-)

All the other NHL teams fans that are my friends all tell me the same thing. You just got Poti 2.0 with a bit more fire power.

I'll have to watch him for the rest of the season & in the playoffs and see for myself what i think of him because I honestly haven't watched any Boston games this season or Yotes games last year.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Fletch

Fish...

I think I totally agree, I think.

In Korps, I think we're talking about a kid who's only 20 years old and hasn't been in an offensive role the last three seasons, having been the young kid playing with men. He's been a different player the last month or so. Was always a kid who skated well and handled the puck well, but didn't get the points. That's changing. I'm now reserving judgment until next season, when my expectations will go up.

Dubi has had his ups and downs. He was lost to start the season, which was very disappointing for a kid who put up decent points in the AHL playoffs last season. He's been playing better, but needs to find consistency. The talent looks to be there though.

No real explanation for the rest (as I just peeked at the game and saw Callahan take another penalty).

You know who's surprising? Potter. The kid uses his size well (not physical, but steps in front of the puck carrier to take away the puck), and he moves the puck very well. Saw he got into a fight in the last game too. Don't think he's top 4 material, but he could be a third pair guy at some point if he keeps improving.

Still in need of top-end talent. It's not in Hartford currently. But in this NHL, you may be able to find a 27 year old top-end guy that can be acquired as a free agent.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I think today showed that Malik COULD be traded.

Mara, Tyutin, Girardi, and Rozsival 4 nice defenseman going into next season.

Add a free agent (Brewer) and Staal to those 4 names and the defense would be unreal next season.
The key to gaining value is to hold onto those vets until they have only have a year at most left. Next year we 86 Malik and Rozsival and bring in picks & maybe a younger veteran Dman in trades. We can trade as a pair, a 2 for 1. Though Rozy has played well. He will have potentially more value. I was surprised that weekes didn;t go. he must eithe rbe really hurt bad, or has zero value.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think I totally agree, I think.

In Korps, I think we're talking about a kid who's only 20 years old and hasn't been in an offensive role the last three seasons, having been the young kid playing with men. He's been a different player the last month or so. Was always a kid who skated well and handled the puck well, but didn't get the points. That's changing. I'm now reserving judgment until next season, when my expectations will go up.

Dubi has had his ups and downs. He was lost to start the season, which was very disappointing for a kid who put up decent points in the AHL playoffs last season. He's been playing better, but needs to find consistency. The talent looks to be there though.

No real explanation for the rest (as I just peeked at the game and saw Callahan take another penalty).

You know who's surprising? Potter. The kid uses his size well (not physical, but steps in front of the puck carrier to take away the puck), and he moves the puck very well. Saw he got into a fight in the last game too. Don't think he's top 4 material, but he could be a third pair guy at some point if he keeps improving.

Still in need of top-end talent. It's not in Hartford currently. But in this NHL, you may be able to find a 27 year old top-end guy that can be acquired as a free agent.
I'm been saying that about him for the 3 years or so. He plays the man well, gains position. He has a nasty streak in him. Reminds me of Commodore, though I don't know if he's that kind of fighter. I like him a bunch and I was disappointed that NYRs did not offer him a contract. I think that wa sin part a payback on the organization's part for his not signing the year before.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
I stopped at my parents last night and my dad had a copy of the new Hockey News Future Watch. The Rangers had 5 players listed in the top 100. Staal was number 6 overall, Sanguenetti 32, Montoya 54, Callahan 67, and Anisimov 75. Bourret was listed as the 3rd best prospect for Atlanta. The Islanders top 5 in order were Okposo, O'Marra, Grebeshkov, Nokelainen, and Nilsson, so 3 of their top 5 are gone.

Sonny Lamateena is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
I stopped at my parents last night and my dad had a copy of the new Hockey News Future Watch. The Rangers had 5 players listed in the top 100. Staal was number 6 overall, Sanguenetti 32, Montoya 54, Callahan 67, and Anisimov 75. Bourret was listed as the 3rd best prospect for Atlanta. The Islanders top 5 in order were Okposo, O'Marra, Grebeshkov, Nokelainen, and Nilsson, so 3 of their top 5 are gone.
I like HF, and they are getting better, but right now they aren't nearly compitent enough to make thoose kind of rankings.

In all honesty, just looking at the draft order for 3 years gives you about the same quality of info as their rankings does. I don't know whats the problem, if their people are hyping their teams kids, or if they can't cross scout or whatever.

But for whatever reasons, the results of their rankings, looking back at them, are worse then horrible. Everyone remember Lundqvist and Zetterberg beeing completly left out of top 50's and top 100's, but not only that, guys who clearly are moving up after a draft year never moves up nearly enough, guys who clearly moves down allot after a draft never moves down enough in the rankings.

This seasons Mikael Backlund is a great example, this kid was a concensus top 10 pick before this season, I personally belive that if 17th y/o's were drafted he would have been a top 5 pick overall, by a wide margin he is the best 16 y/o Sweden have had in a really long time. Now, this summer he might not even be a top 50 pick. Do hockeyplayers in general develop more between 17-18, then they do between 18-19? Thats news to me. I would say that most succesful hockeyplayers have develop at about the same pace up untill they are 22-23 y/o. So in reality in these kind of rankings someone drafted 3rd, 4th and 5th overall, should potentiall be moved 30-40 spots depending on how they develop after the draft, thats never done in these kind of rankings. Someone drafted 50th overall should be able to move up to 5th.

Annisimov might have been the most valuble player for Russia in this seasons WJC, next season he will be one of the dominating forces in the WJC. Are there 75 prospects in the hockey world who are better looking then Annisimov? Not a chance. IIs Callahan ahead of him?

Would Sanguetti still be a 1st round pick if that years draft were held again? I haven't seen him, but I wouldn't count on it, looking at his stats he have regressed some. Anyway, my point is just that these rankings are far to stiff to tell you anything.

Last edited by Ola: 03-01-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old
03-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
And having a big hitter's fine, but this team just needs a guy who can battle with the big guys, come away with the puck, and execute the breakout pass/skate it out. I love hits like anyone else, but as we saw with Kaspar a lot, sometimes it's not all it's cracked up to be.
That's pretty much what Tyutin does game in and game out...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Ola

Signed forwards
Jaromir Jagr - $4.94
Martin Straka-$3.3
Matt Cullen - $2.875
Blair Betts - $0.615
= 11.73

Signed D's
Fedor Tyutin - $990,000
Marek Malik - $2.5 million
Michal Rozsival - $2.1
Paul Mara - $3.0
Dan Girardi - $525,000
Marc Staal - $850.000
=9.96

Signed goalies
Henrik Lundqvist - $817,000
=0.82

UFAs
Brendan Shanahan - 4m
Jed Ortmayer - 1.5m
(Michael Nylander - 3.5m)
=4.5

RFAs (guessing here)
Sean Avery - 1.5m
Petr Prucha - 1.2m
Ryan Hollweg - 550k
Colton Orr - 550k
Marcel Hossa - 1.2m
(Karel Rachunek - 1.8)
=5

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Avery-*****-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-*****
Hollweg/Orr-Betts-Ortmayer

Malik-Rozival
Staal-Mara
Tyutin-Girardi

Lundqvist

=37m

First of all, I belive it have been quite obvious how much better it is to have 3 scoring lines and one checking line, compared with two scoring lines and two checkinglines. So I defenitly belive that will be our goal for next season.

-A safe bet is to add 800k-1000k for a backup goalie, Montoya or a vet.

-I got Nylander as a doubtful, since I belive he have started to look a bit older lately, he is 35 y/o and I don't think Renney got the same faith in him as he did 3 years ago, and he is not a player who have made much money in his career. He is a player who got 6 kids and went to Siberia (to make money) during the lockout. I think we would take him back if he would accept 3m offers like Straka on a year to year basis. But I belive Nylander will test the market and take a 3y*3m/2y*4m offer if he can get one, which I don't hold as impossible. He have been pretty impressive here for a long while. I could see a team like STL, Phoenix or Chicago shell out that kind of dough for him.

-On defense I got 6 guys pegged in. I belive as much as the next that we need to upgrade our blueline. There are many good D's out there as UFAs. But, I don't belive it makes sense for us to sign a semi upgrade for Malik/Mara for 4y 4.5m. If we were to sign one it should defenitly be a real top D. I mean Markov/Vaananen would be huge upgrades over Malik, but is it worth 3 more years times 4.5m to upgrade Malik for one of thoose two? Not IMO. Is it worth giving Chris Philips a 4 times 5m deal, to upgrade Mara? Or Souray a 20+m deal to upgrade Mara? Not IMO. The one D that I do like and think would make allot of sense would be Kimmo Timmonen! This guy is IMO the Rafalski of the West, or even better. He is dynamite on the PP, moves the puck well, is pretty good defensivly. But I don't think there are great odds that we will get him. So I think its Rachunek vs Mara for the rest of this season, and my bet is that Mara will come out on top, and that Rachunek will get moved at the draft.

-Upfront I could see us beeing willing to really open up the wallet. If my calculation are correct we would have no rookie in the lineup, and be at 38m. What will the cap be? 48-52? That would leave us with 10m too 14m of caproom. I can defenitly see us gooing hard either for a center like Forsberg, Drury, Datsyuk and Gomez or a winger like Smyth, Briere or Bertuzzi. But we defenitly won't be alone, at the same time I don't have a problem overpaying. Look at the vets getting signed lately, all good players are always tradeable, and always fetches a good return. Handzus could be a outsider. Even gooing hard for them, in the end I doubt we will be able to get one of the big names. Maybe we have to target someone like Bertuzzi.

I could see us gooing with something like this;
Hossa-Straka-Jagr//Can Hossa really establish himself next season?
Prucha-Cullen-Bertuzzi//Bert is a much better playmaker then Shanahan. I also think Prucha will be red hot next season. Hence the reason I think this line would work better then Prucha-Cullen-Shanny.
Avery-Dubinsky-Shanahan//Great enviorment for Dubi.
Holly-Betts-Ortmayer

Malik-Rozival
Staal-Mara
Girardi-Tyutin

PP units:
Avery-Bertuzzi-Shanahan-Mara-Cullen
Prucha-Hossa-Jagr-Straka-Roszival

Old
03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I'm not gonna quote that whole thing Ola as it will take up waaaay too much space. Good analysis though. Only things that I don't agree with are that Lundqvist is an RFA I believe at the end of this season, so I can see him getting $3-4 million/season, and that there is no way that Orts gets $1.5 million, which is more than doubling his current salary (I think he'll get $800-850K).

Prucha might not get that much of a raise as if he scored on the same pace as last season, but I can see him getting $1.5-$2/year (So not that big of a raise from what you had there). Nylander will get no more than what Straka is getting imo ($3.3 million) if he re-signs (which is again negilable to what you estimated).

So all in all I think the Rangers will have about $7-10 million in cap space to sign UFA's (Thats if the cap goes up to $50 million like expected). Def. enough room to sign a center (Drury/Gomez/Briere/Datsuk) and still have plunty of wiggle room to make a trade deadline deal next season if need be.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I like HF, and they are getting better, but right now they aren't nearly compitent enough to make thoose kind of rankings.
Looks to me like he's talking about The Hockey News prospect rankings, not Hockey's Future.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Looks to me like he's talking about The Hockey News prospect rankings, not Hockey's Future.
They are just as bad.

Old
03-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'm not gonna quote that whole thing Ola as it will take up waaaay too much space. Good analysis though. Only things that I don't agree with are that Lundqvist is an RFA I believe at the end of this season, so I can see him getting $3-4 million/season, and that there is no way that Orts gets $1.5 million, which is more than doubling his current salary (I think he'll get $800-850K).
I saw that BBKers also had Lundqvist as a RFA, but Lundqvist is on a enterylevel contract and thoose are always 3 years, right? So he should have another season after this at 800k.

Old
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I saw that BBKers also had Lundqvist as a RFA, but Lundqvist is on a enterylevel contract and thoose are always 3 years, right? So he should have another season after this at 800k.
That would be pretty sweet if its true. It opens up a lot of cap space.

Yeah he's not listed here as a Rangers RFA http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/mod...rder=0&thold=0

Rangers UFA's: (My expected salary for each player)

Jed Ortmeyer ($800K)
Sandis Ozolinsh (Gone)
Kevin Weekes (Gone)
Brendan Shanahan ($4 million)
Thomas Pock (Unfortunately Gone)
Martin Richter (Gone)
Craig Weller (Gone)
Micheal Nylander (If he doesn't pick up his option, which he wont/ No more than $3 million)

Rangers RFA's: (My expected salary for each player)

Marcel Hossa ($900K-$1.25 million)
Petr Prucha ($1-$1.5 million)
Colton Orr ($500K)
Ryan Hollweg ($550K-$600K)
Karel Rachunek (Traded as there are too many D-men as it is)
Sean Avery ($1.5 million)

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 03-01-2007 at 12:35 PM.
UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Pizza

On balance I'd have to admit things look pretty good, though I think it pays to be very conservative in overall outlook going forward. By that I mean for all the good:

-Montoya, Staal, Sauer, Callahan(very nice surprise), Korpikoski, etc.

-Essentially upgrading the '05 draft to two 1st round picks with the addition of Bourret.

We are still a bit top heavy with question marks and we lack the likes of a can't miss prospect such as Frolov or Kopitar. Given the position we will draft in the Rangers will need to combine equal parts luck and savvy to add solid top line prospects. But I'm not too concerned as the Bourret deal indicates that Sather is still capable of pulling the proverbial rabbit from the hat.

The depth of the cupboard as a whole and the development of certain prospects such as Pyatt, Dupont and maybe Anisimov is encouraging.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote