HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

my view from section 236

Old
02-28-2007, 01:11 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
my view from section 236

Tonight I am not going to talk about the game.

I am not going to talk about the fallout from the Ryan Smyth trade.

It was not pretty tonight. Even with the Messier ceremonies the attitude in the building was subdued and negative, the discussion was all about how awful this trade was and how could have we traded our Franchise player.

At the end of the Messier Ceremony a spattering of fans had left, by the end of the second period many had left. In the three rows where I sit by the end of the second period ONLY the diehard season ticket holders were left. Everyone else had voted with their feet.

The fans were negative, hostile, shocked, stunned. The fallout is not pretty and IMO it will difficult for Lowe and the EIG to recover from this trade.

When people talked about this trade I discussed fallout often and I knew this would happen. I have been a fan for a long time and I know how Ryan Smyth is revered by this fan base and they are not accepting this trade.

Beside me I have two new season ticket holders and they are very casual fans (some of the new fans that bought tickets from the playoff run, a very casual fan) and she asked me when the players were going to arrive from the Ryan Smyth trade. When I explained to her that these were not NHL player but prospects, she looked at me like I was from Mars.

The fans were very upset that the players wore the fabled uniforms as they felt that uniform was being disgraced. I heard that discussion all over the place and during the intermissions.

Kevin Lowe MUST make a splash this summer or we are not going to talking about profits for the EIG, we are going to be talking about a franchise in trouble.

I have not seen the fans this upset since the Messier trade. (Not a happy irony and not an irony that was missed or appreciated).

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:14 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
I'm going to die of not surprise.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Your post is pretty much bang on. Lowe put himself in an absolutely dreadful position. You could make strong arguments that:

a) Lowe overpayed for lesser members of this team in the offseason and that hindered his ability to sign Smyth; and

b) Lowe didn't get the best offer possible because he didn't offer Smyth to all teams

The irony is this:

If you view the Smyth deal independent of those factors, it basically had to be done. Signing him to a 5.5-6M contract would have handicapped this team with regards to budget for years to come.

Could Lowe have done something differently beforehand to make room for Smyth? Sure.

Could he have gotten a better offer? Maybe.

Should he have traded Smyth today given that a) had already transpired? Absolutely, imo.

The overall picture? We better damn well trade some of those picks and prospects this summer for a big player. The only other potential solution is if Smyth ends up re-signing here -- how likely is that? I have absolutely no idea.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Tonight I am not going to talk about the game.

I am not going to talk about the fallout from the Ryan Smyth trade.

It was not pretty tonight. Even with the Messier ceremonies the attitude in the building was subdued and negative, the discussion was all about how awful this trade was and how could have we traded our Franchise player.

At the end of the Messier Ceremony a spattering of fans had left, by the end of the second period many had left. In the three rows where I sit by the end of the second period ONLY the diehard season ticket holders were left. Everyone else had voted with their feet.

The fans were negative, hostile, shocked, stunned. The fallout is not pretty and IMO it will difficult for Lowe and the EIG to recover from this trade.

When people talked about this trade I discussed fallout often and I knew this would happen. I have been a fan for a long time and I know how Ryan Smyth is revered by this fan base and they are not accepting this trade.

Beside me I have two new season ticket holders and they are very casual fans (some of the new fans that bought tickets from the playoff run, a very casual fan) and she asked me when the players were going to arrive from the Ryan Smyth trade. When I explained to her that these were not NHL player but prospects, she looked at me like I was from Mars.

The fans were very upset that the players wore the fabled uniforms as they felt that uniform was being disgraced. I heard that discussion all over the place and during the intermissions.

Kevin Lowe MUST make a splash this summer or we are not going to talking about profits for the EIG, we are going to be talking about a franchise in trouble.

I have not seen the fans this upset since the Messier trade. (Not a happy irony and not an irony that was missed or appreciated).
Thanks for the report.

Not like we didn't see it coming. Smyth is extremely well liked in Edmonton although thats somewhat muted on this board.

Continual trading for futures is an extremely hard sell for the fans that have been sticking it out for 15 years with very little cheer.

The CBA was about for once being able to retain our star players.

this should never have happened.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:18 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Was there booing? Please tell me there was booing. If I'd have been there, I would have booed my little heart out. I watched the Messier ceremony on sportsnet, but as soon as it ended i turned the TV off... i just didn't have the heart to watch this "team" tonight. Not after the EIG bent it over like this.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

[QUOTE=Cloned;8292692]Your post is pretty much bang on. Lowe put himself in an absolutely dreadful position. You could make strong arguments that:

a) Lowe overpayed for lesser members of this team in the offseason and that hindered his ability to sign Smyth; and
I remember making that argument somewhat vociferously in my overpay thread.

or very vociferously

wheres the puking smilie?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:19 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I'm also going to say one thing about this team, and it's been pervading the entire roster even when Smyth was here:

Boy does this team ever play panic hockey. Every move is seemingly made out of desperation. Noone has any confidence. Chemistry is almost non-existant. There is no intent in movement.

It was (and still is) tiring watching Matt Greene ring the puck around the damn boards without first looking to see if a teammate is going to be able to retrieve the puck. It's going to be a whole new level of frustration watching Jason Smith and Steve Staios do it because this team has given up on the season.

Old
02-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Was there booing? Please tell me there was booing. If I'd have been there, I would have booed my little heart out. I watched the Messier ceremony on sportsnet, but as soon as it ended i turned the TV off... i just didn't have the heart to watch this "team" tonight. Not after the EIG bent it over like this.
Yeah, there was.

Forgot to note another irony tonight -- the other (previously) beloved UFA that we didn't trade got a shutout tonight.

Old
02-28-2007, 01:40 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Not during the Messier Ceremony but the Oilers were careful not to include Kevin Lowe.

There was lots of booing and three incidents of Chants of "Smytty"

Old
02-28-2007, 01:44 AM
GSC

this trade makes me feel sick to my stomach...like the franchise may never recover from it.

I just hope Lowe does what is necessary and uses that salary room to bring some good players to Edmonton and to reload the club. Otherwise...oh God I don't want to even think about it

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:47 AM
Matts

actually

I was hoping for a huge "Smytty" chant.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:49 AM
PunjabiOil*

It's tough after watching Pronger leave. This could have been different.

CTV Edmonton? Top news story, 15 minute segment on Smyth and his contributions to Stollery and community at large.

It's not like we're getting a high end player in return either that can lessen the blow. As good as the prospects may possibly turn out, you can't replace 12 years of fans emotion like that.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:50 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I was hoping for a huge "Smytty" chant.
They were pretty loud and huge.

The fans have too much respect for Messier to do that to him during his ceremony!

Old
02-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Walsher

People are reacting overboard here. "Franchise not going to recover from this trade" and the like? Come on. The deal wasn't getting done. If they did not move him he was walking. Lets all face the music, if they were unable to sign a deal, they were not very close. It wasn't happening today, it wasn't happening later. If Smyth realizes how good he has it in Edmonton, and that other teams are not looking to drop 25-30 million on a 60 pt/year player into his 30's, he may rethink a 5 year 22.5-24 mil deal.

You would not get a Getzlaff, Perry, Stajan, Steen or other young skilled roster player in this trade. Forsberg didn't garner it and neither will Smyth. You get those guys when you trade guys who are signed (a la Pronger - whole other story). To me the only other option is Smyth signing in the offseason elsewhere and getting squat. Lowe could have let that happen and keep his reputation - or he could have traded the player, for the betterment of the club, and carry the load of being the guy who dealt the beloved Smytty. For that I have great respect for Lowe despite thinking the return could have been better (at least Okposo ++ from the Isles).

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:58 AM
PunjabiOil*

Just saw CTV post game report.

Seems a few Oilers were dejected when referring to Smyth mentioning his locker room prescence and friendship.

Leadership is never easily replaceable.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
People are reacting overboard here. "Franchise not going to recover from this trade" and the like? Come on. The deal wasn't getting done. If they did not move him he was walking. Lets all face the music, if they were unable to sign a deal, they were not very close. It wasn't happening today, it wasn't happening later. If Smyth realizes how good he has it in Edmonton, and that other teams are not looking to drop 25-30 million on a 60 pt/year player into his 30's, he may rethink a 5 year 22.5-24 mil deal.

You would not get a Getzlaff, Perry, Stajan, Steen or other young skilled roster player in this trade. Forsberg didn't garner it and neither will Smyth. You get those guys when you trade guys who are signed (a la Pronger - whole other story). To me the only other option is Smyth signing in the offseason elsewhere and getting squat. Lowe could have let that happen and keep his reputation - or he could have traded the player, for the betterment of the club, and carry the load of being the guy who dealt the beloved Smytty. For that I have great respect for Lowe despite thinking the return could have been better (at least Okposo ++ from the Isles).
Were you there tonight? Anyone that went to this game would not think I was overreacting. It was unpleasant to be there.

The two sisters that sit behind me have been season tickets holders since the WHA days and they are considering not renewing next year!

That said it all to me!

Old
02-28-2007, 02:07 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Nothing is guarnteed in F.A. come summer-time.

Is that a good thing or bad thing for Oilers fans

The stigma of today's event/Pronger fiasco cannot help

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:14 AM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:

I've read what you've had to say about the metter and I generally agree, but this deal still kind of makes me sick inside. Of course, this probably has to do with me thinking with my heart and not entirely my head, but I think anyone would understand why certain (if not all!) Oiler's fans would be absolutely dejected.

My main questions regarding the whole Smyth trade are:
1) Did this deal really come down to the last 30 minutes before the deadline, without letting a proper bidding war start? If Lowe waited until deadline day to negotiate a contract and "time ran out" then that's his own fault right there. Of course, on the other hand, there's no way I would have approved of Lowe knowingly putting Smyth on the block, not with what he means to the team.

2) If Lowe realized that he needed to trade Smyth, why not try and let go of other players such as Winchester, Sykora, etc.? It just absolutely irks me that the way the team has underappreciated this year, that Lowe goes and trades our most consistent player, while leaving a group of players on the team that have been invisible or inconsistent the whole season.

Anyways, I'm sure much of this will get cleared up in the next little while, but I honestly couldn't even watch the game today after the ceremony. It'll take a few days for me to get over looking at the roster and not seeing Smyth as our first line left winger.

edmontonoilers89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:16 AM
hockeyaddict101

Hopefully the fans were just very upset and like you just couldn't stay and they will recover.

BUT my fear is that they will continue to lose and look bad doing it! That made it even worse.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:25 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I for one would just like everyone to not judge this deal until about July 15th when we know what else we were able to get. I'm sure of this: Lowe dealt him to the Island more so because it's a place that Smyth probably won't like and won't re-sign because of the gong show that is the NY Islanders. He did get a pretty good package for him, but more so this deal gives Lowe the best chance to take another run at him this summer.....but having said all that you would hope he realizes he'll probably have to give the guy 5.75-6 mil a year to bring him back now. If it's not Smyth, I guarentee there will be a huge run at guys like Briere, Gomez, Hartnell to try to replace him. But don't get me wrong, I'm extremely dissapointed that the deal didn't get done, ticked at both EIG and Don Meehan, but we have to start looking at the positives here people. There is a CHANCE that we just landed a 1st round pick, Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra for FREE.

Last edited by Zach and Slater: 02-28-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:29 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Were you there tonight? Anyone that went to this game would not think I was overreacting. It was unpleasant to be there.

The two sisters that sit behind me have been season tickets holders since the WHA days and they are considering not renewing next year!

That said it all to me!
I was there tonight - and it was an awkward feeling. But it is like this in any situation. A guy gets fired at work who everyone liked and for a couple days a coups de tas is being planned and a mass exitus. Lets face it, this never happens. The sun will come up tomorrow (or at least the light behind the clouds) and people will, as we see what happens, relax and come around. The world didn't explode when Wayne got dealt, the world didn't collapse when Mark left, and the team didn't fold when Weight was dealt. All three were better players. Even after Cujo signed in TO during his prime. The trouble was the Messier night, coupled with the frustration of the season, the SADS (seasonal affectivity disorder syndrome) and the performance from start to finish all compounded the hurt of dthe deal. The sisters will renew, as will you and I. I guarantee it.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:32 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I was there tonight - and it was an awkward feeling. But it is like this in any situation. A guy gets fired at work who everyone liked and for a couple days a coups de tas is being planned and a mass exitus. Lets face it, this never happens. The sun will come up tomorrow (or at least the light behind the clouds) and people will, as we see what happens, relax and come around. The world didn't explode when Wayne got dealt, the world didn't collapse when Mark left, and the team didn't fold when Weight was dealt. All three were better players. Even after Cujo signed in TO during his prime. The trouble was the Messier night, coupled with the frustration of the season, the SADS (seasonal affectivity disorder syndrome) and the performance from start to finish all compounded the hurt of dthe deal. The sisters will renew, as will you and I. I guarantee it.
And you could be correct.

People need time to mull things over and once they do, they will probably come around. Oiler fans are nothing but resiliant.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:33 AM
alanschu

TSN later rescinded their statements that other GMs didn't know that Smyth was being shopped around. Some may not have, though I'd imagine there'd be a reason why Lowe wouldn't have inquired with some places.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
And you could be correct.

People need time to mull things over and once they do, they will probably come around. Oiler fans are nothing but resiliant.
Everything renews in time but this one could take quite a bit of it.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
TSN later rescinded their statements that other GMs didn't know that Smyth was being shopped around. Some may not have, though I'd imagine there'd be a reason why Lowe wouldn't have inquired with some places.
I imagine contending teams right up against the cap wouldn't have been contacted, simply because there would be no way to work a trade without said team giving up a high salary (and likely important) player in return.