HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Lowe is one of the top 3 GM's in the NHL

Old
02-28-2007, 04:31 AM
Oilers10

vCash: 500

2006 trade deadline:

Picks up Spacek, Tarnstrom, Samsonov and previously Rollie. The biggest asset lost was the 1st to Minny for Rollie. Last year was a BUYERS market and he took full advantage of it. Where did it get us? 1 win away from hoisting the cup.

Summer of 2006:

Lowe is forced to trade Pronger under difficult circumstances. Lots of interest in Pronger but two factors prohibit him from making a trade easy which are 1) the salary cap 2) finding a team with enough pieces that the Oilers would want. Dealing from a weak position he manages to get quality young players, two of which are on the team.

Make no mistake about it, lowe did not get fleeced on this deal. Smid is playng close the 30 minutes a game and Lupul has proven he's a performer in the regular season and the playoffs. This deal can only be judged in 3-4 years time. We dealt an apples for oranges you can't compare Pronger to Lupul right now.

During this summer, Lowe repeatedly states that the new plan of the Oilers is to augment the lineup with trade deadline rentals just like they did the previous season to get them to the Stanley Cup Finals.

2007 trade deadline:

Lowe recognizes that we are not making the playoffs and is not foolish enough to overpay to get us defensive help. This year compared to the previous year is a TOTAL seller's market. Realizing that Smyth is pricing himself to elite player status, he takes advantage of an absolute SELLER's market.

Summer 2007:

Lowe either re-signs Smyth or we have that money to go towards a UFA. Additionally we could pull a Bobby Clarke on Philly themselves as Pitkanen is a RFA. We have 3 first round pics this summer and our prospect depth has never been more deep.

Additionally how is the MAP/ JF Jacques for you know who deal looking now? Keep in mind that MAP is a year YOUNGER than the player we shall not mention.

Kevin Lowe does not deserve the venom SOME of you are spewing. Aside from Lou Lamoriello and Brian Burke (possibly Ken Holland) What other GM in this league would you want more?

Oilers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:49 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Garth Snow.

In all seriousness, I can agree that he`s made some great moves, some smart decisions and even looking back at his first few years as GM, when he found sly little loopholes, The Richter deal comes to mind, he will always be a smart and respected GM.

However, you can`t dilute the truth. He dropped the ball this year, and today really brings that to the surface.

Ignoring the deal he did make, look at some of the names that went for dirt cheap. This is all hind sight, but since he is rebuilding, why not trade Jason Smith to Buffalo for Kalinin and a 2nd, or to Boston for Mara. Then he goes out and gets David Hale, who we all talked alot about the last 2-3 years, as a player this organizition could be interested in. Instead he goes to Cgy for a clump of poop. Trade Sykora for a 1st or 2nd rounder.

I know what your gonna say, `Well Lowe only had 20 minutes to work with`but thats because of his own personell and time mis-management. He had a chance today to fix this, and he dropped the ball. You wanna trade Smyth and rebuild, fine by me, but don`t just pull the band-aid off half way and let it dangle there.

For being a sellers market, Mara, Hale and Boyes sure came with sale stickers on them. Either that, or Im under valuing the Denis Wideman`s of the world.

Ideally, we move out Smith or Greene for Mara; A draft pick for Hale and trade Sykora, put an offer out there for Boyes, and our rebuilding process just took alot less time.

Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Horcoff-Boyes-Lupul
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani
KIDS-Reasoner-KIDS

Mara-Smith
Smid-Staios
Hale-Hejda
Grebeshkov, Gilbert

Easier said than done, yes. Realistic though.

Last edited by Mowzie: 02-28-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:52 AM
Bryan McSpammer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Garth Snow.

In all seriousness, I can agree that he`s made some great moves, some smart decisions and even looking back at his first few years as GM, when he found sly little loopholes, The Richter deal comes to mind, he will always be a smart and respected GM.

However, you can`t dilute the truth. He dropped the ball this year, and today really brings that to the surface.

Ignoring the deal he did make, look at some of the names that went for dirt cheap. This is all hind sight, but since he is rebuilding, why not trade Jason Smith to Buffalo for Kalinin and a 2nd, or to Boston for Mara. Then he goes out and gets David Hale, who we all talked alot about the last 2-3 years, as a player this organizition could be interested in. Instead he goes to Cgy for a clump of poop. Trade Sykora for a 1st or 2nd rounder.

I know what your gonna say, `Well Lowe only had 20 minutes to work with`but thats because of his own personell and time mis-management. He had a chance today to fix this, and he dropped the ball. You wanna trade Smyth and rebuild, fine by me, but don`t just pull the band-aid off half way and let it dangle there.

For being a sellers market, Mara, Hale and Boyes sure came with sale stickers on them. Either that, or Im under valuing the Denis Wideman`s of the world.
Good post Mowzie and I agree 100% .

Bryan McSpammer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:53 AM
alanschu

Lowe had more than 20 minutes to work with for the trade.

I don't think that it's necessarily "rebuild" mode. It depends on what can be done in the offseason. Acquiring prospects is acquiring assets, which may be useful in acquiring other roster players.

Sykora's lack of trade is surprising, though if the two parties involved are willing to extend the contract, then it is less of an issue.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Lowe had more than 20 minutes to work with for the trade.

I don't think that it's necessarily "rebuild" mode. It depends on what can be done in the offseason. Acquiring prospects is acquiring assets, which may be useful in acquiring other roster players.

Sykora's lack of trade is surprising, though if the two parties involved are willing to extend the contract, then it is less of an issue.
Well, Im thinking from his POV, he didnt become a seller til 20 minutes before the deadline, and by then, there was no realistic way to make things happen. Ideally, the Smyth thing gets solved one way or another last week, giving Lowe enough time to maximize his return on deadline day, whether its as a buyer or as a seller.

I don`t think rebuild exists anymore, re-stock is better. I hope Lowe can parlay his 15 average assets into 10 average assets and 2 or 3 above average assets. Depth is a wonderful thing, but right now Oilers are looking like the ugly girl with a great personality, sure you will talk to her for a few minutes, but are you`re probably not gonna buy her a drink. While she thinks your punvhing her cell number into your phone, chances are your texting that hot ditz with the tattoo on her back.

Wow, my analogies sure get the best of me sometimes.

But lets take a look...

Our young forward core: -4-
Hemsky- 23
Lupul- 23
Torres- 24
Stoll- 24

Grads or close to being grads: -6-
Pouliot- 21
Jacques- 21
Stortini- 21
Thoresen- 23
Petersen- 28
Winchester- 26

Prospects-Picks: -12-
1st rounder (Oilers)
1st rounder (Islanders)
1st rounder (Ducks)
Schremp
Cogliano
Brodziak
O`Marra
Trukho
Nilsson
Schremp
Cogliano
Mikhnov

There you have it 22 forward assets, I only counted the ones that we could generally agree on, that they will make it to the NHL. I left out alot of prospects.

I know, these guys are all on different levels in development. But lets dumb it down. 14 roster spots. Assume, in 3 yrs, when the majority of these guys should be contributing NHLèrs, it almost looks like the clowns in a Voltswagon thing. Even if 3 of Horcoff, Pisani, Reasoner and Moreau are goners by then. Even if you assume that Petersen and Winchester are no longer part of the organization. That`s still 17 guys for 14 spots, and thats not including the dozens of prospects I excluded, and thats not including the returns we would get in trades down the road.

Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Schremp-Cogliano-Lupul
Jacques-Pouliot-Nilsson
Moreau-Brodziak-Stortini
Thoresen, O`marra, Trukhno, Mikhnov, 3-1st rounders, etc etc etc.

OK, So you get my point, I think we need to move some of this forward depth.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
limecorrado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury1474 View Post
2006 trade deadline:

Picks up Spacek, Tarnstrom, Samsonov and previously Rollie. The biggest asset lost was the 1st to Minny for Rollie. Last year was a BUYERS market and he took full advantage of it. Where did it get us? 1 win away from hoisting the cup.

Summer of 2006:

Lowe is forced to trade Pronger under difficult circumstances. Lots of interest in Pronger but two factors prohibit him from making a trade easy which are 1) the salary cap 2) finding a team with enough pieces that the Oilers would want. Dealing from a weak position he manages to get quality young players, two of which are on the team.

Make no mistake about it, lowe did not get fleeced on this deal. Smid is playng close the 30 minutes a game and Lupul has proven he's a performer in the regular season and the playoffs. This deal can only be judged in 3-4 years time. We dealt an apples for oranges you can't compare Pronger to Lupul right now.

During this summer, Lowe repeatedly states that the new plan of the Oilers is to augment the lineup with trade deadline rentals just like they did the previous season to get them to the Stanley Cup Finals.

2007 trade deadline:

Lowe recognizes that we are not making the playoffs and is not foolish enough to overpay to get us defensive help. This year compared to the previous year is a TOTAL seller's market. Realizing that Smyth is pricing himself to elite player status, he takes advantage of an absolute SELLER's market.

Summer 2007:

Lowe either re-signs Smyth or we have that money to go towards a UFA. Additionally we could pull a Bobby Clarke on Philly themselves as Pitkanen is a RFA. We have 3 first round pics this summer and our prospect depth has never been more deep.

Additionally how is the MAP/ JF Jacques for you know who deal looking now? Keep in mind that MAP is a year YOUNGER than the player we shall not mention.

Kevin Lowe does not deserve the venom SOME of you are spewing. Aside from Lou Lamoriello and Brian Burke (possibly Ken Holland) What other GM in this league would you want more?
I'll agree with this except he and everyone else knew the Oilers defense needed a top 4 puck moving dman since chris pronger and Spacek left, he most of the summer and all season to find one. He had assets availble. He had the ability in the offseason to sign a dman and he couldn't convince one to do so. Thats part of his job. Wheather doesn't count as an excuse. He simply didn't fulfil his job.

He did the exact same thing last year with the Oilers goaltending, it was apparent very early on that our goaltending was a short fall and he waited to the last minute to finally make a deal. Had he overpayed in the offseason last year or during the season would more than likely would have made the playoffs in the second last game. We would likely have been fighting for division lead.

He has all season to stike a deal with his best remaining player and wait to last moment do get a deal done. Infact he's they have been working on a long term contract since before last season started.

While Lowe has great assets and has done some very good trades in the past, he is not without faults.But He has an opprotunity this offseason to make a some deals and get the Oilers to be a contender.

limecorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Bank Shot

Because his team makes the playoffs 50% of the time?

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:05 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury1474 View Post
Summer 2007:

amazing that you can see into the future. remember how much we talked about the big deals we could pull off last summer with all the money we were saving on pronger? remember all of the talk during this current god-forsaken season about the needs we had and how we had so much money & draft picks & prospects to trade?

remember how all that happened was we plucked petr friggin' nedved off of waivers?

yeah. that.

sure, the potential is there for a big summertime splash, but as i said in another thread, you'll forgive me if i take a stance of "i'll believe it when i see it."

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
amazing that you can see into the future. remember how much we talked about the big deals we could pull off last summer with all the money we were saving on pronger? remember all of the talk during this current god-forsaken season about the needs we had and how we had so much money & draft picks & prospects to trade?

remember how all that happened was we plucked petr friggin' nedved off of waivers?

yeah. that.

sure, the potential is there for a big summertime splash, but as i said in another thread, you'll forgive me if i take a stance of "i'll believe it when i see it."
I have to agree. How Lowe putting this organization back 4 years is a good move is beyond me. Assests are only worth something if someone else wants needs them and is willing to part with the peices we need...for "the plan!"

Regardless of the intangibles invovled with the trade, this team is in a HUGE hole now.

We are basing our assumptions that this mysterious "plan" involves dipping into the UFA market. What if they are looking at Buffalo who has basically drafted and developed thier team...that means we don't trade for anyone, we develop from with in and in 4 - 5 years have a competetive team again...because if we are building from within it wont happen before that.

Even scarier is the idea that Lowe made this deal with the assumption that he'll land a big named player or two this summer. Crap...if he's thinking "I'll move Smytty now...yah, it looks like the best way of sticking to "the plan" [insert myserious music here]. Oh! Then I'll sign a couple big name players this summer...Drury or Briere, maybe Timonen...perfect! The "plan" [dum dum daaaaaaaaa!] is alive and well!!"

Sorry boys, I just don't see the bright side of this move. I'm holding on for something to happen this summer but I'm not very confident it will.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
JonQuixote

Lowe has made some serious mistakes. Even ignoring the subjective ones (eg. my personal thoughts about his devotion to the coach)...

He banked on short-term contracts for players like Smyth and Horc following the lockout.

He traded Pronger for futures, thinking he would replace him on the free agent market or in subsequent trades. He didn't.

In retrospect, Smyth signed to a 4 or 5 year deal following the lockout would be a whopper of a steal right now (same with Horcoff). In retrospect, moving Pronger for less of a return but a more immediate one would also have been preferable.

Now, I don't want to hang a guy for mistakes. It would be ridiculous to expect our GM to be infallable. They all make mistakes.

But mistakes these were: serious and avoidable. And Lowe needs to be held accountable for them. He needs to fix them.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:42 PM
kingdip50

I think Lowe dropped the ball big time this year when his risk didn't pan out but he has had a lot of bad luck as well. Post lockout off season Lowe took 2 risks, one was Horcoff as the number 1 center and the other was Conkanen as the goalie solution. Out of those Horcoff panned out for last year and is struggling this year, and we all know how brutal the Conkanen tandem was. However last year was a buyers market as GM's were still getting used to the new CBA, Kevin Lowe who had been arguably the most ready for post CBA took full advantage and made the deals to acquire the players he felt were missing and it led to the eventual 7th game lost.

This season however Kevin Lowe after being put in a bit of a spot with the Pronger request was put in a position of trading his future player when he was supposed to be getting ready to add to the Stanley Cup finalists. So instead of being out there recruiting talent he was deep in the process of a Pronger deal (as well as resigning his own free agents), after which Lowe would know how much he had to spend. By the time the deal happened most of the talent had been gone and the price of defencemen had increased so he was intent on signing Spacek and another dman but when Spacek chose to sign with Buffalo knowing he wouldn't be playing with Pronger who he had the most success with 19 p in 31 games in comparison this year he has 20 in 53. By then there was Danny Markov and Tjarnqvist after losing out on Markov who opted for playing with Detroit and a blueline with veterans like Lidstrom, Schneider and a team in contention. So instead Lowe opted for Tjarnqvist and took a risk with the defense thinking he could add someone in a trade and that obviously back fired as well.

With Smyth i think Lowe would have been better if he had started shopping Smyth even a week in advance then maybe knowing the risk of being traded Smyth might have budged a little and taken a home discount. Lowe really wanted to get Smyth signed i feel and had a few trade offers in place just in case but thought he could really get this deal done than get a few missing pieces but after the trades broke of Lowe knew if he let the deadline pass he would lose all leverage and had to get something back instead of losing Smyth for nothing. Sykora I believe would have been dealt had Smyth resigned but since Smyth had been traded along with quotes from Sykora stating he wanted to stay here, I think Lowe kept him as a cheaper alternative to Smyth and will resign him and possibly Tjarnqvist plus another dman. I also think the success of the Oilers last year after aquiring Spacek, Tarnstrom & Samsonov, could have been a reason it was a sellers market. I believe however Lowe has a plan and we could see him sign a couple defensemen and possibly even make a deal for a star player with a package.

kingdip50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by limecorrado View Post
I'll agree with this except he and everyone else knew the Oilers defense needed a top 4 puck moving dman since chris pronger and Spacek left, he most of the summer and all season to find one. He had assets availble. He had the ability in the offseason to sign a dman and he couldn't convince one to do so. Thats part of his job. Wheather doesn't count as an excuse. He simply didn't fulfil his job.

He did the exact same thing last year with the Oilers goaltending, it was apparent very early on that our goaltending was a short fall and he waited to the last minute to finally make a deal. Had he overpayed in the offseason last year or during the season would more than likely would have made the playoffs in the second last game. We would likely have been fighting for division lead.

He has all season to stike a deal with his best remaining player and wait to last moment do get a deal done. Infact he's they have been working on a long term contract since before last season started.

While Lowe has great assets and has done some very good trades in the past, he is not without faults.But He has an opprotunity this offseason to make a some deals and get the Oilers to be a contender.
I'm largely a critic of our administration as I think they've botched too many of our most critical trades (Pronger, Comrie, perhaps now Smyth). However to attack him for not filling those holes is unfair and overlooking the major issues that prohibited KLowe's action.

It is important to remember that the cost of D was inflated and that the competition was fierce. It is reported that Lowe aggressively pursued some high level D but they decided to sign elsewhere - what was Lowe to do? There's a certain irony that the reason we couldn't fill the holes in D is impart due to our own success with defense last season.

Additionally people speak highly of all of our expendable assets to acquire such a D man via trade. I beg to ask - who or what are they? This is a team that has been average at best in respect to offense and our goaltending situation relies on one strong goaltender. Most of our prospects have under-performed. Are we to trade the few prospects who show hope and all of our best draft picks for the short-term? For those who think so, I'm sure you'll be the same ones complaining down-the-road about how Lowe sold the farm for one year. We certainly could not part with any of our D, as we not only lacked a #1-2, but we also lacked depth.

Most of the players people insist we trade (e.g. Sykora - oddly, one of our most productive forwards), would hardly fill the gap of our missing top pair. In a year of high inflation for defensive value - who would part with a top d-man for a bunch of players whom would normally fulfill 2nd (at best) line duties, most likely 3rd?

Goaltending (our previous issue) was the same as D. We lacked the assets and we definitely were in for tough competition to acquire a decent netminder. In those years, it was goaltending that was the most sought after asset.

I guarantee you that Lowe tried, he and anyone in his position would've, and he or anyone else in his position would most likely have failed considering the cards the Oilers had at that time. Blaming the GM is only valid insofar that the failure is a result of their action, not when factors beyond them prohibited their success.

You could argue that KLowe failed in his handling of Smyth - a mismanagement of time and with poor administration, didn't have enough focus on trading when it occured. Mind you, Dawgbone corrected me in a prior thread stating that KLowe actually did shop Smyth around and considered many options. Realistically, considering Smyth is a UFA at the end of the season.... he actually obtained significant return.

Additionally, it can definitely be argued that avoiding giving Smyth a 5 year deal at 5.5 to 6 million per year, was a smart decision.

With time, my respect for Lowe is restoring. Although the Pronger affair has certainly left a sour taste.

-Justin

Last edited by ClosetOilersFan: 02-28-2007 at 03:07 PM.
ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:37 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy View Post
I have to agree. How Lowe putting this organization back 4 years is a good move is beyond me. Assests are only worth something if someone else wants needs them and is willing to part with the peices we need...for "the plan!"
We are basing our assumptions that this mysterious "plan" involves dipping into the UFA market. What if they are looking at Buffalo who has basically drafted and developed thier team...that means we don't trade for anyone, we develop from with in and in 4 - 5 years have a competetive team again...because if we are building
Regardless of the intangibles invovled with the trade, this team is in a HUGE hole now.

from within it wont happen before that.

Even scarier is the idea that Lowe made this deal with the assumption that he'll land a big named player or two this summer. Crap...if he's thinking "I'll move Smytty now...yah, it looks like the best way of sticking to "the plan" [insert myserious music here]. Oh! Then I'll sign a couple big name players this summer...Drury or Briere, maybe Timonen...perfect! The "plan" [dum dum daaaaaaaaa!] is alive and well!!"

Sorry boys, I just don't see the bright side of this move. I'm holding on for something to happen this summer but I'm not very confident it will.
I don't see the downside to this move. We could have lost Smyth for nothing over the summer.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Lowe has made some serious mistakes. Even ignoring the subjective ones (eg. my personal thoughts about his devotion to the coach)...

He banked on short-term contracts for players like Smyth and Horc following the lockout.

He traded Pronger for futures, thinking he would replace him on the free agent market or in subsequent trades. He didn't.

In retrospect, Smyth signed to a 4 or 5 year deal following the lockout would be a whopper of a steal right now (same with Horcoff). In retrospect, moving Pronger for less of a return but a more immediate one would also have been preferable.

Now, I don't want to hang a guy for mistakes. It would be ridiculous to expect our GM to be infallable. They all make mistakes.

But mistakes these were: serious and avoidable. And Lowe needs to be held accountable for them. He needs to fix them.
May I ask then, what would you have done instead in additon to the Horc and Smyth long term deals you propose.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
jsho

Are people still thinking Lowe had 20minutes to make this deal? Wow. He was looking at options weeks ago, and had the best one lined up incase things fell through. And yes Lowe is 100% responsible to hate on, that Scott Howson im sure is just there to bring him a paper in the morning and a fresh sandwich at lunch.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:11 PM
tapper

Holy arms race in the west. I count 7 of the 8 current playoff teams making moves (Van, Dal, Cal, SJ, Ana, Det, Nash), some huge. We still had to address the D upgrade to get on par with these teams pre-deadline , then we probably needed to "see" some of these further upgrades, to stand a chance. There'll be a lot of disappointed GMs and fans by the time this is done. Not a bad year to fold really.

On to the topic at hand...as has been mentioned many times, it will boil down to what Lowe can do with the extra $5-6M this summer.

I think Lowe may have learned last summer that targetting a specific UFA/need can backfire, if/when the person signs elsewhere. So this year, they can put a whole bunch of irons in the UFA fire, forward, defence, goal?? Basically take a shotgun apporach to UFAs. And let's face it we need a lot of help. Then you see what sticks. You signed forwards? Trade for some D. Signed D? Trades to upgrade your forwards. Now we have the prospect depth for making such moves. Ok, maybe a bit wishful thinking...but it sounds like a plan. And we've been told repeatedly lately that there is "a plan".

So I will judge this trade come Oct '07. But that's about all the rope these guys get. No more Kool-Aid for me after that.

PS There was a fair bit of chatter in papers, on the net, about RT and/or JL ask price being a puck moving d-man. It should be no surprise that trade never materialized. Teams looking to add either of them are loading up for the run, and therefore makes no sense to give up their puck movers. Look for one of those to go down on draft day or around training camp.

PPS Anyone else wondering if Nilsson could be another Samsonov and does that make RT/JL even more expendable (how many second liners cane one team have)? Lupul can't hold on to the puck during the cycle, can't knock anyone off it defensively, and can't carry it into the offensive zone without getting it poked away (it's not just our D that have trouble moving the puck, even though the blame mostly falls on their shoulders). All he should be doing is getting into shooting positions, finding holes. But that assumes someone capable of getting the puck to him, that doesn't lose it on the cycle or coming into the zone, etc, etc,

tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
dreamshake

top three? Come on. He's be good, but to be great at what he does, he needs a shiny silver trophy on his resume.

dreamshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Because his team makes the playoffs 50% of the time?
[/I]

Is it Lowe'S Fault that Pronger's wife hated teh City?

Is it Lowe's fault that Smyth wants to much money?

Is it Lowe's Fault that we lost Hemsky, Smyth, Moreau, Stoll, Tarnquist and Pisani for large stretches of this season?

Is it Lowe's fault that other teams won't trade their awesome up and coming number one d-man for prospects and picks?

Of course not!

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Stephen

What I admire about Lowe is his ability to separate sentiment from judgement. By not bending over for Smyth's extra money demands, he basically freed up a ton of money that would have otherwise been overpayment at a guy who is popular in Edmonton, but is nowhere near a $6 million player. Now the Oilers are stacked with young players and have tons of cap room for young UFAs.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
DaveMatthew

I think Lowe is a decent GM, but certainly not one of the best.

He made a crucial mistake not re-signing Smyth last offseason. He probably could've got him for around 4.5-5 on a long term deal, had he shown him some commitment.

The Pronger situation was unfortunate, but it's happened to other teams before and it'll happen again.
Similiar situations have happened to us in Ottawa too, and we got Spezza + Chara for Yashin and then Heatley - Hossa.

If Lowe was a top 3 GM, he'd have come out with one of those types of deals. And you know what, maybe O'Marra turns out to be a stud and Nilsson a top line RWer, and then I'll come here and agree with the thread starter, but right now, calling him a top 3 GM is a little much.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Hemsky #83

I think the moment Pronger left, fans should have been prepared for a rebuild. The plan was to build a winner around him, and they almost did. I am in no way angry about the Smyth move as it was inevitable. The Oilers needed to find a true franchise player like Pronger and there really is no player like that coming up for free agency this year. Therefore, you are better off trying to get one in the draft.

Had we signed Smyth, it would have made things very difficult to find that real franchise player either via free agency or draft.

Hemsky #83 is offline   Reply With Quote