HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob Froese's goal

Old
02-28-2007, 12:43 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

vCash: 500
Bob Froese's goal

There was a thread over in the History of Hockey section about Bob Froese. I brought this up:

Quote:
Interesting fact about Bob Froese: He was the second goalie in the history of the NHL to be credited with a goal.

It happened when he was a member of the New York Rangers against the New York Islanders. It was basically the scored the same way Billy Smith scored his goal; delayed penalty, Isles pull their goalie, Isles shoot it all the way down and in, goalie was said to be the last player who touched the puck. They showed the replay over and over again and it was difficult to tell whether or not he touched the puck. I still maintain that he did. However, I still maintain that I did. The NHL disagreed and eventually credited the goal to someone else (I can't for the life of me remember who). I wonder if any other Ranger fans remember this.

Anyway, a few days later Ron Hextall became the first goalie to actually shoot on goal and score. If you listen to the Flyers broadcast of this (which I couldn't find on youtube unfortunately) you can hear the color commentator say "That is a legitimate one! Bob Froese scored one the other day for the New York Rangers but never touched it." I know a lot of people who were confused by that statement whenever they watched the highlight since there is really no record of Froese scoring. This explains it.

Does anybody else remember this? Anyone remember who was eventually credited with the goal? (I still say Froese touched it).

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 12:52 PM
AcidFreak

I remember that game. The goal was eventually credited to James Patrick.

AcidFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Didn't the Isles hit the post right before that goal so they thought Froesy had touched it making a save?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:47 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Didn't the Isles hit the post right before that goal so they thought Froesy had touched it making a save?
Yes. If I remember correctly it went very close to Froese along the ice, I thought it had glanced off of his skate. Then it went off of the outside of the post. One of the Isles got it in the corner, tried to send it to the point but it missed the defenseman back there and went all the way down and in.

Old
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Yes. If I remember correctly it went very close to Froese along the ice, I thought it had glanced off of his skate. Then it went off of the outside of the post. One of the Isles got it in the corner, tried to send it to the point but it missed the defenseman back there and went all the way down and in.
Wow, some things you can't forget even if you try

Old
02-28-2007, 01:50 PM
Choice

Wow. I dont think I ever actually remember Bob Froese playing in any games. I just remember him as the third goalie in the media guide with Richter and Beezer from my earliest days following the Rangers.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:52 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I was there and while I don't remember it this detailed, I do remember it being one of those wild nights in the Garden that unfortunately have become very few and far between.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Wow, some things you can't forget even if you try

Seriously though. This has been bugging me for years! I remember when it happened I was adamant that Froese touched it (or i should say I was as adamant as an 8 year old can be). But now all these years later I'm wondering if he really did touch it or if I was just watching with the ridiculous bias an 8 year old would have. I haven't ever been able to find a replay of it since. And since the Hextall goal happened only a few days later, the Froese non-goal was all but forgotten.

Old
02-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

As far as I remember, I think i was in the 'Not a Froese goal' camp. Like I said, it hit the post and looked close to BF's stick but I felt pretty confident that he didn't hit it.

Old
02-28-2007, 03:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

I remember both Goals happening, I remember all the Hockey Kids at school going nuts over it.

I definatly remember Frooze playing alot when I was younger behind Beezer, I always thought his name was so cool for a hockey player.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:28 PM
SML

I remember that and am sure I have that game on VHS somewhere. It may as well be carved into the wall of a pyramid because I'll never find it and don't even have a VCR anymore if I did. I am almost certain that the Islander who touched the puck last was Denis Potvin.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote