HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

When is the Smyth press conference?

Old
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
jmg27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Does anybody still think that he wanted to leave?
wow im an isles fan but this guys heart is def in the edmonton and he seems crushed to be traded to us. seems like he def wanted to be an oiler for life. believe it or not i feel bad for the guy after seeing this and i'm an isles fan. Im not trolling I honestly feel for the guy.

jmg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
hfboardsuser

***? CFRN cuts away just as questions start. Idiots.

To summarize:

-Ryan found out from the media he was moved.
-"Didn't feel it was the right timing, could have been done earlier."
-"Could have acquired a player or two earlier in the season instead of dealing with the situation with me."
-"I have the utmost respect for this city and the fans."
-"I have no regrets."
-"New chapter in my book."
-Resigning "not on his mind" right now.
-If wins the Cup in NYI, "want to bring it back to Edmonton".

The news teams on both CFRN and Global are near tears.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:22 PM
hfboardsuser

Oh, FFS

"At the end of the day, it didn't work out."

Old
02-28-2007, 01:25 PM
dsi

I missed the start of the TSN webcast, will they post the whole thing later?

dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
hemmingway

RS:"Kevin and I are friends...
We share a passion for the game...
Not the organization, not the team..."

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:26 PM
hfboardsuser

"it's not him, it's not the organization... Kevin felt it was the best for the organization at the time."

"Anything else besides money involved?"

"Ahhh, no, I don't to get into the small, little stuff... that doesn't mean the end of the world for me or the organization."

"How did it feel to be told you weren't as much as you felt you were?"

"There's a bottom line Kevin has to deal with, and obviously it didn't fit into his budget... but, ah, it didn't just come down to that. The bridges were closing together but it wasn't meant to be."

Old
02-28-2007, 01:27 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
I'm not so sure. Sounds more like the end of an era to me.
He won't be moving his wife just yet during the school year. Don't give up just yet. I'll wait for July 1st.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Waterboy

All this does is leave me with the hope that he will come home...'

...which is the last thing I wanted. No Smytty coming back, but the fact that there is a chance that he will...because its obvious that leaving was not part of his "plan".

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
We're not going to get his side of the story. What we're going to get is cliches as usual.

It was great playing for this team. I love the city and the fans. Alot of good memories. Wish things could have worked out. Didn't consider the trade deadline as the deadline to get a deal done. I can't comment on if I'll resign here or not. Edmonton will always be a special place to me.

If I missed any, please add them.
meehan and lowe gave it 110% to get a deal done

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:30 PM
hfboardsuser

"Nothing did say... we were going to trade you... but there was the option of that."

"We still have our home here. We call it home. Obviously looking forward to going to New York and looking at the opportunity there. We'l l still keep the Stollery for sure."

"It's... it's... hometown discount... it's all been talked about. I... no, it wasn't a factor."

"We were doing our best... I was there at the morning skate, thinking things were getting done... it went sideways in the last twenty minutes. Obviously they had some research on the guys coming the other way."

"We were stuck in our concrete, and they were stuck in theres."

"Would you give it another chance?"

"I have no regrets on my decision. I love Edmonton. I love playing for the Oilers. They were going a different direction. But... who knows. You never know."

Old
02-28-2007, 01:32 PM
oilerfanatic

that was tough to listen to...but man...why isn't 5.5 mill enought for you?...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:35 PM
vancityluongo

I just caught the end of the interview on the Score, but it sounded like Ryan kind of hinted that he might come back.... At least I kind of got that notion....

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
I just caught the end of the interview on the Score, but it sounded like Ryan kind of hinted that he might come back.... At least I kind of got that notion....
I got the opposite feeling from that. He kept mentioning how he was going to start a new chapter in his life.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
eastcoasteh

That Press Conference was why you HAVE TO LOVE SMYTTY and why he's worth an overpayment. What a great person. And I thought it was great that he left his teeth out!

I wouldnt' rule out him coming back next summer. As long as NYI don't go on a prolonged run.

Then again, i think I just feel like the girl who got dumped. Maybe he'll come back! Maybe he'll realize how good he had it and even though I'm not as pretty as that new york girl, he'll come back...
haha

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Rover*

Interesting to see him so emotional, but I think it's not that big of a deal. Unlike gretzky, smythe can come back in 2 months. I'll even say as a canucks fan it was probably more hard to see linden get traded cause he didn't have the option of coming back. Smythe can come back in the summer and can finish his career playing all but what...20 games for another team?

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
tricksnard

Send a message via MSN to tricksnard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
they need a little boy in a 94 jersey to walk up to him as he gets on the plane and go "say it ain't so Smitty, say it isn't so..."
So cute, and so sad...

tricksnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

This is the reason I would trade Smith and Horc away at the draft and resign Smyth in the offseason. He is an Oiler

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:48 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
that was tough to listen to...but man...why isn't 5.5 mill enought for you?...
that kinds my thoughts as well... i feel for the guy and my heart really went out to him listening to that, as ryan was obviously very upset.... BUT.... if 5.5 over 5 years really was offered to you... um, how the hell is that not good enough?!?! hes prolly going to sign for around 6 million for 4-5 years with some other team in the summer.... so he decided to leave the team "he grew up watching, and dreaming of putting the sweater on" (in smyths own word) for about 500k per season??

thats pathetic in my opinion.... if 5.5 million year for 5 years isnt enough money to play with your home town team, to play for a city and fans who love you.... if a 10% difference in salary was enough to make you leave, then bye-fricken-bye

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricksnard View Post
So cute, and so sad...
I'd laugh.

Anyway, I don't think he knows yet what he'll do in the offseason. He's still processing this all.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Master Lok

I thnk Smytty is a bit slow in realizing that hockey is a business. I don't think he realized that by turning down the last contract he would be traded. It would be evident to me - but I think he really didn't think that he would be traded - that he could eke out that last $500K from Lowe.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 02:49 PM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I thnk Smytty is a bit slow in realizing that hockey is a business. I don't think he realized that by turning down the last contract he would be traded. It would be evident to me - but I think he really didn't think that he would be traded - that he could eke out that last $500K from Lowe.
That's what I thought too...but you'd think that Smytty would be fully cognizant of the business aspect of the NHL, after a couple of hard-nosed negotiations, seeing players come and go in the old NHL because we didn't have the money to keep them, etc. Very strange.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Guys I'm holding out hope for July 1 as well, but at the same time Lowe has to realize he'll still have to pay big for the guy. If he wants 5.75 a year for 5 years then Lowe will have to pay it, because I'm certain that Philly, the Rangers, the Ducks, the Kings, about half the teams in the league are willing to go to at least that amount.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
canadave

it makes no sense to me that Lowe and the Oilers owners would absolutely refuse to budge over $200,000 or $300,000 a year, or whatever it was...and then turn around July 1 and pay him the dollars it'll take to get him signed If their plan all along was to trade Smyth for some prospects and then open the wallet on July 1, then it seems to me this wouldn't have been as big a shock to all parties concerned as it obviously was

I think he's gone, permanently, and that's all there is to it. This sucks!

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:53 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
it makes no sense to me that Lowe and the Oilers owners would absolutely refuse to budge over $200,000 or $300,000 a year, or whatever it was...and then turn around July 1 and pay him the dollars it'll take to get him signed
Who knows, maybe Smyth is the GM of the Isles by july 1st

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
it makes no sense to me that Lowe and the Oilers owners would absolutely refuse to budge over $200,000 or $300,000 a year, or whatever it was...and then turn around July 1 and pay him the dollars it'll take to get him signed If their plan all along was to trade Smyth for some prospects and then open the wallet on July 1, then it seems to me this wouldn't have been as big a shock to all parties concerned as it obviously was

I think he's gone, permanently, and that's all there is to it. This sucks!

I disagree. Maybe that extra money is what Lowe sees as paying for the assets we recieved in return. Smyth might not be worth that alone, but include the assets and maybe its worth it.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote