HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we call-up higgins

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 06:38 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
Should we call-up higgins

I really like begin but i don't think he his a 3rd line center and IMO juneau is done (i hate him) and it's why i think the habs should call-up Higgins from Hamilton .

I think his brother was saying last week that Gainey and Chris agent were talking about calling him up.

He will be a perfect fit on a 3rd line if you ask me.

What you think?

Old
12-11-2003, 06:40 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan
I really like begin but i don't think he his a 3rd line center and IMO juneau is done (i hate him) and it's why i think the habs should call-up Higgins from Hamilton .

I think his brother was saying last week that Gainey and Chris agent were talking about calling him up.

He will be a perfect fit on a 3rd line if you ask me.

What you think?
no. let him earn experience and consistency in the AHL for at least the rest of the season, he could be 1st or second line material...

Old
12-11-2003, 06:47 AM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
no. let him earn experience and consistency in the AHL for at least the rest of the season, he could be 1st or second line material...
I agree, let him learn the pro game in Hamilton this year.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Darz

As I stated in another post, I wouldn't mind seeing Higgins come up for a couple games here or there, but would like to see him in Hamilton for most of the year. Have a feeling he will be earning a permanent job out of camp next year.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Habsolution

Chris' bro also said that Higgins was nursing a wrist injury because of a slash. If the guy ain't 100% we shouldn't call him up on those terms. Particularly if the intention is to play on the third line in a shutdown center role. You just don't give a rookie such responsabilities. I think it's funny that people believe Higgins is already a John Madden or Mike Peca kinda guy. He's not ready at all for such a job IMO. I'd never expect a rookie to shutdown guys like Sundin, Naslund, etc.

I'd love to see Higgins called up but there's a logjam at the center position. So I'd rather see him as a LW somewhere on an offensive line. But right now my opinion is that our top 6 forward are set. They all seem to bring something on the ice and i'd not break that chemistry.

Old
12-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Corey

First let's see what the injury to Bégin amounts to.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
First let's see what the injury to Bégin amounts to.
Ditto. Begin has been fine, better than most of us thought he might. Let Higgins get more experience.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Rahan

Not yet buddies, with his recent "injury" (Kev told us Chris got a slash on the wrist), he must get back into it, strengthen his wirst and maybe after the all-star break he will have gathered enough experience, and will be ready for the Habs. That's my thoughts :p

Old
12-11-2003, 08:38 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
I really like begin but i don't think he his a 3rd line center.
What you think?
You have come to that conclusion after watching him play inspired hockey, shutting down the opposite line, and waking up Dackell and Sundstrom?

Old
12-11-2003, 08:40 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
You have come to that conclusion after watching him play inspired hockey, shutting down the opposite line, and waking up Dackell and Sundstrom?

That's 3 game buddy!

Wait his got 1 goal in 25gm so i don't think is got the offensive ability to play on a 3rd line!

I didn't know you could evaluated a player on a 3-4 game period!

Old
12-11-2003, 08:56 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
That's 3 game buddy!

Wait his got 1 goal in 25gm so i don't think is got the offensive ability to play on a 3rd line!

I didn't know you could evaluated a player on a 3-4 game period!
Juneau has 1 goal in 24 games and thats playing on the 3rd line, Begin played on the 4th line. Not that im comparing him to Ribeiro but look at Rib's production this year on the 2nd line versus previous years when he played on the fourth line. Theres only so much production you can achieve. With the kind of fire Begin has (IF he can keep it up) the goals and assists will come, and he does a much better job of shutting down the opposing teams at the moment and playing physical. As much as I like Higgins at the moment he would be a defensive liability playing on the line thats supposed to shut down the opposing team's top lines. Too much to ask from Higgins, let him learn the ropes and do it right, he can be quite the catch, i dont know about you but i dont want his career screwed up by trying him too quickly. Plus i dont think he'd be good for the team, maybe a game here or there but beyond that patience! unless a trade happens soon i'd rather see Komisarek sent down where he can actually get playing time...

Old
12-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Let's just call Higgins in the last 24 games of regular season to get him ready to win the calder next year.

I would love to see Higgins on the LW with Ribeiro and Dagenais at some point (though not right now). He has a very nice touch around the net and he would complement them perfectly as he's sound defensively, fast and works hard every shift.

I'd like to see those lines at the end of the year (after the trading deadline where we will likely ship our soon to be UFAs):

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder
Higgins - Ribeiro - Dagenais
Bulis - Begin - Sundstrom/Dackell
Langdon - Kilger - Ward

Just to see if it has any kind of potential...

Old
12-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Habs4ever

We don't have place for him who do you suppose goes to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Let's just call Higgins in the last 24 games of regular season to get him ready to win the calder next year.

I would love to see Higgins on the LW with Ribeiro and Dagenais at some point (though not right now). He has a very nice touch around the net and he would complement them perfectly as he's sound defensively, fast and works hard every shift.

I'd like to see those lines at the end of the year (after the trading deadline where we will likely ship our soon to be UFAs):

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder
Langdon - Kilger - Ward

Waiver, we can't put any big contract available as most of those contracts are one way and you can't pay a guy NHL type money just to play him in AHL, we've already got Dykhuis and Traverse down there, or do you want to lose Ward/Begin/Langdon in waiver if thats what you want then thats fine but I don't think there's any panic from BG just yet, Higgins really hasn't burned the AHL yet, Balez and Plekanec deserve to be here before him if management really wanted to start bringing young guys.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen

Zednik - Koivu - Ryder
Langdon - Kilger - Ward

Same here about an eventual Higgins call up.

About the line up ...

I like Bulis with Koivu. I think that line has good chemistry. I also like Dagenais so far (more than I ever thought I would, despite all his flaws I like his size and shot). So hard decision here but here's what I'd like to see after the deadline :

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Ribeiro-Zednik
Sundstrom-Bégin-Ward
Kilger/Langdon-Juneau/Kilger-Dagenais/Dackel

I love the first line. Bulis' speed-defensive awareness-forechecking, Koivu's playmaking-experience, Ryder's shot-grit. I think they have good chemistry together. I didn't like the idea at first but seeing them play together changed my mind.

Two speedy wingers for Ribs. Both are fast and have good shots. Both aren't soft. One is defensively reliable, the other is not. Qualities that would complete Ribeiro's game well IMO. Then you have the energy/shutdown line. Me likes !

But I like your line up too. It's been a long time since we've had so many players that can actually contribute in one way or another. First time in a long time I'm excited about the team.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:22 AM
tinyzombies

I kind of like the fact that Gainey is taking his time with the kids. That was supposedly the reason AS stepped down, because he knew he didn't have enough leverage to stick with the rebuilding process.

I think Higgins should stay down there as long as he has to. Komisarek obviously needs more AHL time as well. They should stay there until they're ready, we're in no rush.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
you can't pay a guy NHL type money just to play him in AHL
Yes you can. Irbe's a 5M goalie playing in the ECHL. Cujo a 8M one playing in the AHL. We've done it with the polish prince and Donald last year. We've done it with Traverse and Dykhuis this year. Truth is, if there's no room for them, there's no room for them, no matter how much they make. If they don't help the team win, they'll be sent in the AHL. Between the two choices of 3M for Donald doing nothing here or in the AHL, I choose the AHL. BTW there will likely be someone put on waivers soon as when Ward will be back, there will be one forward too many.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
Same here about an eventual Higgins call up.

About the line up ...

I like Bulis with Koivu. I think that line has good chemistry. I also like Dagenais so far (more than I ever thought I would, despite all his flaws I like his size and shot). So hard decision here but here's what I'd like to see after the deadline :

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder
Higgins-Ribeiro-Zednik
Sundstrom-Bégin-Ward
Kilger/Langdon-Juneau/Kilger-Dagenais/Dackel

I love the first line. Bulis' speed-defensive awareness-forechecking, Koivu's playmaking-experience, Ryder's shot-grit. I think they have good chemistry together. I didn't like the idea at first but seeing them play together changed my mind.

Two speedy wingers for Ribs. Both are fast and have good shots. Both aren't soft. One is defensively reliable, the other is not. Qualities that would complete Ribeiro's game well IMO. Then you have the energy/shutdown line. Me likes !

But I like your line up too. It's been a long time since we've had so many players that can actually contribute in one way or another. First time in a long time I'm excited about the team.
Works fine too. The key elements are Koivu playing with Ryder to help him develop properly and Begin centering the 3rd line to sparkplug his linemates (and the team). I liked Bulis on the 3rd line because he's such an elite forechecker, but obviously he can fit in any role as he's proving right now.

When we'll have all the soon to be UFAs gone and Higgins (and maybe Plekanec) in to replace them, I think this team will climb some steps real fast.

Last edited by Munchausen: 12-11-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old
12-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Komisarek obviously needs more AHL time as well.

Old
12-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Howie Morenz

Leave Higgins in the A to develop. Let's not turn all our top prospects into 3rd line pluggers and checkers. Let this kid develop some offensive flair and imagination.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:18 PM
habitants9_4

If you are to call up someone for more than 3 games I wouldn't call Higgins up. Here is how I would break it down......

3 games or less someone on LW-Higgins, C-Higgins, RW-Balej/Perezhogin
3-10 games LW-Plekanec, C-Plekanec, RW-Hossa/Balej
10 games or more LW-Hossa, C-Gratton, RW-Hossa

Why I say Perezhogin, is because he has proven to Gainey that he doesn't look out of place when he is playing in the NHL.

Closed Thread