HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmontons New Stars

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Oilers star?
Hemsky 84 55.26%
Horcoff 1 0.66%
Stoll 19 12.50%
Smid 2 1.32%
Lupul 3 1.97%
Torres 2 1.32%
Smid 1 0.66%
Shremp 1 0.66%
Cogliano 5 3.29%
Free Agent Signing 16 10.53%
Player aquired in Trade 11 7.24%
Other prospect or Future drafted player 7 4.61%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
kingdip50

vCash: 500
Edmontons New Stars

I think the trading of Smyth while not a popular choice is the right one going forward if he wanted 6 million. Did you really want Smyth to be our cornerstone for 6 million for the next 5 years? The answer is no Smyth was always 2nd to Weight & when Weight was traded he was forced to become a star player because he was the goto guy that let him be successful and he really excelled his game to another level. Which is why i think with the trade of Smyth it will introduce us to new stars and new goto guys. Who will be the next Oilers Star.

kingdip50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Today is day one of the Hemsky era. He's the guy we decided we were going to build around when we signed him to a 6 year deal, and that starts now.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Kveldulvr

I hate to be a bit of a ***** but if this is the beginning of the Hemsky era then Hemsky needs to elevate his game seriously. The last ten to twenty games he has been either invisible or making poor decisions. Seriously, he is turning into a turnover machine. Now I love Hemmer, but he seriously needs to step up his game. The good thing is that we know that he can do it, we just need to see it on a more consistent basis.

Kveldulvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Mizral

I cast my vote for Hemsky, but I think of all the other guys, Smid has a shot too. I think he'll be a great guy but he may take a while.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Traktor*

Hemsky already is a star.

I think Stoll will end up a legend. Think Bucky but with skill. Best 2 way shut down
2nd line center in the game soon.

I think atleast 1 of Schremp or Nilsson will end up stars in 2-3 years if not both.

I think DD ends up one of the elite goalies in the NHL.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
metallicat

Hemsky is our star, but he's not the new Smyth. I don't think there is a new Smyth.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kveldulvr View Post
I hate to be a bit of a ***** but if this is the beginning of the Hemsky era then Hemsky needs to elevate his game seriously. The last ten to twenty games he has been either invisible or making poor decisions. Seriously, he is turning into a turnover machine. Now I love Hemmer, but he seriously needs to step up his game. The good thing is that we know that he can do it, we just need to see it on a more consistent basis.

The guy signed a 6 year contract when everyone else was leaving and we repay him by playing him with Petersen or Sykora..Sykora is nothing but a leech. IMO Hemsky deserves a true # 1 C. Not a good 2 way C like horc not a make-shift C like Sykora but a real C that compliments Hemmers games. Hemsky has world class puck distribution, why wouldn't you try and Maximize it?? Hemksy is Payton Manning but with no recievers. IMO playing Petersen with Hemsky is an insult to Hemsky. This guy committed to us, so let's commit to him. To me playing one of the best finesse players in the game with Horc as his C is a waste of Hemskys skill level. Put Hemsky with a player like Marc Savard or Daniel Briere and will will have 100 point seasons rather easily because they play the game and think the game like Hemsky.

Old
02-28-2007, 04:24 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Hemsky is our star, but he's not the new Smyth. I don't think there is a new Smyth.
If Smyth for some reason doesn't come back, it'll be Stoll.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:25 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Today is day one of the Hemsky era. He's the guy we decided we were going to build around when we signed him to a 6 year deal, and that starts now.
Yeah the bar has officially been raised. He needs to pick his game up.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Kveldulvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
The guy signed a 6 year contract when everyone else was leaving and we repay him by playing him with Petersen or Sykora..Sykora is nothing but a leech. IMO Hemsky deserves a true # 1 C. Not a good 2 way C like horc not a make-shift C like Sykora but a real C that compliments Hemmers games. Hemsky has world class puck distribution, why wouldn't you try and Maximize it?? Hemksy is Payton Manning but with no recievers. IMO playing Petersen with Hemsky is an insult to Hemsky. This guy committed to us, so let's commit to him. To me playing one of the best finesse players in the game with Horc as his C is a waste of Hemskys skill level. Put Hemsky with a player like Marc Savard or Daniel Briere and will will have 100 point seasons rather easily because they play the game and think the game like Hemsky.
I couldn't agree more, but lately it is the small things about Hemsky's game that are frustrating me because I have seen him play better individually than he has as of late. No question, Hemsky deserves better than Peterson and Sykora (who you nailed when you called him a leach).

The fact remains that the best players make the players around them better. Maybe Hemsky needs to communicate with his line mates more effectively. I am no hockey expert, but you have to admit that Hemsky makes some questionable decisions with the puck upon occasion. My point is that for all of his distribution, his puck handling skill and his vision, he is not at the stage of his career yet where he makes consistent effective decisions which open the ice for his line mates. When he is confident and makes the correct decisions he is able to do this and his game becomes elite.

This is the opposite of the Hemsky that I see lately, the one who circles back to the blue line and is chased out of the defensive zone, the one who passes the puck out of the slot to the man behind the net, the one who makes a drop pass to no one, the one who tries to force a pass through three sticks...Hemsky is better than this, and he needs to demonstrate it with his play on a consistent basis if he is to be the face of the franchise.

Old
02-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, but lately it is the small things about Hemsky's game that are frustrating me because I have seen him play better individually than he has as of late. No question, Hemsky deserves better than Peterson and Sykora (who you nailed when you called him a leach).

The fact remains that the best players make the players around them better. Maybe Hemsky needs to communicate with his line mates more effectively. I am no hockey expert, but you have to admit that Hemsky makes some questionable decisions with the puck upon occasion. My point is that for all of his distribution, his puck handling skill and his vision, he is not at the stage of his career yet where he makes consistent effective decisions which open the ice for his line mates. When he is confident and makes the correct decisions he is able to do this and his game becomes elite.

This is the opposite of the Hemsky that I see lately, the one who circles back to the blue line and is chased out of the defensive zone, the one who passes the puck out of the slot to the man behind the net, the one who makes a drop pass to no one, the one who tries to force a pass through three sticks...Hemsky is better than this, and he needs to demonstrate it with his play on a consistent basis if he is to be the face of the franchise.
Yes Hemsky hasn't been great the last few games but it isn't because lack of effort. He is trying to much right now (probably because he knows he has to carry the team)

Hemksy the last few games has been playing like a QB in the NFL that is down 2 TD's. Usually the QB ends up throwing a few interceptions at the end of the game but he really has no choice, you have to make something happen. Your desperate. I liked the fact that after Hemsky said he needed to step up he was putting up 1.5 PP for around 10 games but you can only carry your team so far.

Old
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Kveldulvr

Quote:
Yes Hemsky hasn't been great the last few games but it isn't because lack of effort. He is trying to much right now (probably because he knows he has to carry the team)

Hemksy the last few games has been playing like a QB in the NFL that is down 2 TD's. Usually the QB ends up throwing a few interceptions at the end of the game but he really has no choice, you have to make something happen. Your desperate. I liked the fact that after Hemsky said he needed to step up he was putting up 1.5 PP for around 10 games but you can only carry your team so far.
Ok, I can take that, but then someone needs to take him aside and tell him to calm down. I understand that he is under pressure, but that is not going to change if he is going to be ordained the stick that stirs the Oilers offense, it is only going to get worse. Now is the perfect time for him to live up to that role, because honestly expectations will never be lower.

If he can't do it now, he may not be able to do it later, although the off season can do wonders. Best of luck Hemmer.

Old
02-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Ok, I can take that, but then someone needs to take him aside and tell him to calm down. I understand that he is under pressure, but that is not going to change if he is going to be ordained the stick that stirs the Oilers offense, it is only going to get worse. Now is the perfect time for him to live up to that role, because honestly expectations will never be lower.

If he can't do it now, he may not be able to do it later, although the off season can do wonders. Best of luck Hemmer.

I look at what players like Horcoff and Sykora have done this season without playing with Hemsky compared to playing with him and it's absurd. He is that good.

The problem I have with Hemsky is he needs to shoot. If Hemsky doesn't end up a
35+ goal scorer MacT ****** up. Hemsky has world class vision and playmaking skills but he also can get 12-15 feet from the net in shooting position as much as anyone in the NHL. Considering Hemsky holds on to the puck as long as anyone in the NHL and can get into shooting position 12-15 feet from the net at will he should be top 10 in the NHL in shots regardless if he is considered a passer or shooter.

Old
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
gb701

I voted for a free agent signing in hope that some of the bucks being saved get reinvested into bringing some talent in.

All due respect to Hemsky and Stoll, they are not ready yet to carry a team through, and in Hemsky's case it is unlikely he ever will be that player. Stoll has the most potential in terms of heart and sacrifice.

gb701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
pouliot!!

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:57 PM
OntOilFan

Lupul!!!

I can't believe two other people actually voted for him ...

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Lewkowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Lupul!!!

I can't believe two other people actually voted for him ...
I gotta say, you are the only person on this board who makes me laugh out loud at times. You have mastered sarcasm in writing, that is a great skill to have. Be proud!

Lewkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

I love Hemsky, but this is Stoll's team. He's our next captain, and he's next in line for Smytty's throne. Let's just pray he's okay.

Fayne Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Petro Points

MAP for me aswell.. Stoll has shown a 10 game sample of being a star.. doubt he'll be able to play like that consistently.. hemsky will be hemsky and will not be a leader..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:10 PM
kingdip50

I just realized i put Smid up twice oops... but I think Hemsky will be the next star if Craig MacTavish gets fired i dont think he is the coach for young skillful players. Hemsky early this month said in one of the papers he really wanted to step up his play and become a real leader and hes willing to learn he just needs the right coach I think Claude Julien is better it can be argued Stoll & Torres both learnt a lot under him and we had a lot of success with our prospects under him. Unfortunately New Jersey already realized his talent and swooped him up.

Old
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Waterboy

With Smyth gone its time for Stoll to step up and carry this team. he's a poor mans Messier waiting to bust out. Plus his girlfriend is freakin HOT!!

Strange...but I don't remember seeing Rollies name on that list...maybe I just missed it.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:16 AM
kingdip50

Roli wasn't on the list because hes 37 and hes not star material hes our no1 goaltender right now, although i should have put Deslauriers after the season hes having.

Old
03-04-2007, 06:00 AM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
i have to agree 100%. after the oil acquired samsonov last season, it was incredible how those 2 played together (when they played together). they could read each other so well that it was like they thought the exact same thing and the most amazing goal of last playoff was scored when hemsky scored the clincher to beat detroit with just over a minute left. if hemsky could get another player like that to play with, whether a center or a winger, you could slot in lupul or stoll or another shooter with them and 80-100 point seasons will be the norm.
klowe, make it happen. PLEEEEASE!!!!

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Soundwave

IMO, if/when Schremp can adjust to the pace of the NHL and becomes comfortable here, he will be the type of player that even non-Oiler fans will want to watch just to see what he can do on the ice. Someone used the analogy that Schremp is like the Allen Iverson or Vince Carter of the NHL (a high octane/highlight reel type of player), and I agree that could be the case. He's a flashy type of player that the younger generation will probably take to.

Neilsson is a Samsonov type for sure. The combo of Neilsson-Schremp I think will be one to watch out for.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:25 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman_88888888 View Post
i have to agree 100%. after the oil acquired samsonov last season, it was incredible how those 2 played together (when they played together). they could read each other so well that it was like they thought the exact same thing and the most amazing goal of last playoff was scored when hemsky scored the clincher to beat detroit with just over a minute left. if hemsky could get another player like that to play with, whether a center or a winger, you could slot in lupul or stoll or another shooter with them and 80-100 point seasons will be the norm.
klowe, make it happen. PLEEEEASE!!!!
Schremp?

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote