HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe on 1260

Old
02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
SqueakyBrad

vCash: 500
Kevin Lowe on 1260

Kevin will be on with Stauffer at 5:05pm today!!

listen online www.cfrn.com

SqueakyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Should be interesting, hopefully Stauffer doesn't hold back...

Bring Back Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
tips

bob just mentioned that lowe makes some "very interesting comments" about players whom he may have targets on...

hmm...

tips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:51 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'll be at work until long after that will be over, and I don't have sound on my computer at work. If anyone could post some updates, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyBrad View Post
Kevin will be on with Stauffer at 5:05pm today!!

listen online www.cfrn.com
Thanks Squeak for the heads up.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:55 PM
alanschu

I am at work and will be unable to listen.

Updates, and or a link to an archive afterwards, would be much appreciated.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I am at work and will be unable to listen.

Updates, and or a link to an archive afterwards, would be much appreciated.
Lowe just said something to the fact that we added more assets that may or may not play for us and come Summer time you never know they could turn into another Chris Pronger type...

Not word for word but pretty close, very interesting.

He said they beyond where they to planned stop at with their final offer and that was still not good enough and the length he wanted that much money was a big part to it.

Said he did not want see walk away for nothing at the end of year like Spacek, Peca etc... did.

They felt they had signals from Ryan (I think he said Ryan might have meant the agent?) that if they did not sign him before the end of the year that he might no longer be here anymore.

Old
02-28-2007, 06:18 PM
alanschu

I have a feeling that the asset acquisition was in the plans to acquire a roster player through a trade.

I will put on my happy delirious hat and assume Brad Richards is coming our way

Old
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I have a feeling that the asset acquisition was in the plans to acquire a roster player through a trade.

I will put on my happy delirious hat and assume Brad Richards is coming our way

I say Dan Boyle from TB, he's a UFA, and why lose him for nothing, i can Gilbert, Greene type players going the other way, and e sign him to an extension...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Oilerdiehard

Loves our arsenal of players coming up.

Will be active on the free agent market and made the comment that they may trade for group 2 (that means RFA right?) free agents that other teams may have trouble signing.

Really put an emphasis on the trading for a group 2 free agent (let the Pitkanen rumours start all over again he he).

Did not want to bring anything negative to the Messier ceremony so that is why he was not part of the ceremony. He said his daughter told him they have to find a new favourite player. He said remember Daddy left Edmonton and then came back later in his career and they were happy at that.

Old
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
alanschu

Well, it's too late to trade for Mr. Boyle now. Richards has 3 more years on his contract, which is why perhaps going for him would be a good move.

I'd rather get Dan Boyle without moving any players. Use those players to get Richards instead!

Old
02-28-2007, 06:27 PM
jadeddog

ok i was listening and im a fast typer so here ya go.... was typing fast so sorry about grammer mistakes etc.

Concerned about optics with pronger and smyth trades?
Always concerned about optics, but still have to make deals. He didn’t want to trade pronger, so that trade doesn’t count. Didn’t really want to trade smyth either, but had problem with number and commitment of years. How far do we go? We were further than we anticipated going, and it still wasn’t good enough. Climbing the standings for playoffs was difficult, so added more assets. Maybe they can get another chris pronger in the future

What were the final numbers (5.3-5.5)?
You’re in the range, no question. This was a hockey decision, not a financial one. Financial in that we can only commit so much to a player of ryans ability, but if there happens to be player with higher ability in the future, we have the ability to get that player.

Were you within 200k of what smyth wanted?
Unfair to say. We thought we had agreed to their deal on all fronts, but it didn’t get there. It sent signal that we were uncertain that player wanted to remain here. Based on Ryans reaction, I don’t think it was the case he wanted to be elsewhere. The number was an uncomfortable number. We were faced with signing or trading ryan, we couldn’t wait until the end of the season and have them walk away. We had that happen last year. You do that too much as organization and you lose too many assets. Now we’ve added assets which we might be able to make into higher end players.

You both appeared shook up at the conference today, was he shocked when you told him he was traded?
Yes he was. We were shocked too. We thought we had gone far enough to sign him. It wasn’t just from yesterdays negotiation, the past talks had signalled that ryan being here long term wasn’t favourable. The signal that was sent to us wasn’t that ryan clearly wanted to be here. We had to protect the organization.

Would losing him to UFA in July allow media to hammer lowe? Do you have responsibility to make moves before that?
Yes. When you go to the finals, you take that chance (as last year). You then have to hope you get lucky in FA and you can replace those players, or with young players. Buffalo has done great job replacing players from drafting. They have bolstered their talent pool, have withstood 6 injuries this year. Their prospects have stepped in and their GM is thinking “we can replace these guys” (that are lost to UFA). By having assets, that’s put Buffalo in pretty good position. We lost some by choice last year, couldn’t lose smyth this year for nothing.

Tell us about prospects coming back?
Liked both in draft years. Nilsson more skilled than O’marra. We look at their track records as if thery don’t have good pedigree, they aren’t going to become scorers in the NHL. People say Nilsson is soft, I disagree. Nilsson is sort of a hemsky player. O’marra will be fine 2-way player. Tough to project where they will be coming out of junior, so he may be different player after. O’marra was relegated to 4th line with juniors, but that’s not all bad as smyth was 4th liner for team canadas as well. If a guy has hockey sense like o’marra does, he’ll find his spot in the NHL. We have other guys like MAP, JFJ, gilbert, brodziak coming soon, and others like cogs etc. We have double the prospects we did before.

I have you at about 35 million next year. Will you be active from the start for FA?
No question. Our scout focus now will be on UFA and group II guys that teams have tough time signing. Could try a trade there. Safe to say we’ll be looking to bolster team this summer.

This was one of toughest days ever, compounded by fact you couldn’t be involved in messiers day.
Upset this had to land on messiers day. Months ago he wondered about that, but thought everything would be fine, thought we’d be adding players. We were not going to not do the deal just because of the day. Knew the move wasn’t popular and it would be hard for people. His daughters were disappointed this morning at breakfast. He told them that things happen in sports, especially when you factor in business side. But it would sure be nice to see ryan back one day. Your dad came back after leaving, maybe ryan could come back one day as well.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:28 PM
tips

some things i picked up on...

"we conceded almost everything and it wasn't good enough."

"we thought we had agreed to their deal on all fronts" "it sent the signal the player did not want to remain here, but thats probably not the case."

diden't want to lose smyth for nothing has it happened in the past (peca and spacek).

roughly says he can see smyth finishing his career here.

"maybe another 'chris pronger' in the near future," - mentions possibly using picks and prospects to acquire such a player.

roughly - buffalo has gone through many years of difficulty and now they are in fantastic shape, thanks to picks and prospects. sounds like he wants to follow the buffalo model.

will be active right from the get-go on free agents. "possibly some group 2 guys" ??

tips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Cerebral

They really seem to think Lowe will go the trade route to address Edmonton's needs now. I think that's a little foolish, I wouldn't mind a trade but we should be able to get some quality players via free agency as well and that would allow us to hold on to our younger assets.

02-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Digger12

RFA raid?

I honestly can't see Lowe doing it, but I didn't see Lowe trading Ryan Smyth on Mark Messier day either.

It is going to be one interesting summer, methinks.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Gunner8811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
They really seem to think Lowe will go the trade route to address Edmonton's needs now. I think that's a little foolish, I wouldn't mind a trade but we should be able to get some quality players via free agency as well and that would allow us to hold on to our younger assets.
I think Lowe has to go the trade route. He is going to have a tough time signing any star free agents and sell them on Edmonton in a rebuild mode. He had a hard time just selling them on Edmonton alone last year. So now you trade for a guy and hope he can make himself happy here.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
problem is, we usually have to overpay for UFA because we're Edmonton

I think Lowe has enough assets now to make a deal for someone of substance

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
I think he will probably do some of both, likely not getting any big fish UFAs (maybe a solid mid level guy) but getting a big, younger fish through trading for an RFA.

Old
02-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
RFA raid?

I honestly can't see Lowe doing it, but I didn't see Lowe trading Ryan Smyth on Mark Messier day either.

Did someone say RFA raid or are you just joking / speculating?

I only heard trade for an RFA.

Old
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Lets say it. Offer Sheets.

Can Lowe be serious? I really hope thats not the case, but the fallout from Bobby Clarke may have ushered in a new era. Maybe thats not the case, and only PHI is a target of the fallout from Clarke (Read: Joni Pitkanen).

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
I dont mind it, if we get a group 2 guy, Pitkanen, Volchenkov, Suter type player, then i believe, that mixed with FA signings will make us solid. That said, if he tries to fix it all in one trade, a la Pronger, and if thats what your saying, then damn straight, it'll be good, but not the best, Is it coincidence that Pitkanen is a RFA this year and he said he wanted to go after Group II guys??

Lowe, in you we trust!

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
RFA raid?

I don't think necessarily RFA raid, but look at acquiring Group IIs that may have trouble resigning through trades.

Old
OilRick

vCash: 250
For all the posters who are speculating that we might be getting Richards. Isn't he making 7.8 million? Does anyone think he'll bring 2 million more production then what Smyth wanted?

OilRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Lets say it. Offer Sheets.

Can Lowe be serious? I really hope thats not the case, but the fallout from Bobby Clarke may have ushered in a new era. Maybe thats not the case, and only PHI is a target of the fallout from Clarke (Read: Joni Pitkanen).
For all we know Philly may have said we might do a trade and this and that are roughly what we would want but let's wait until the off season and talk more. How knows.

Old
02-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Did someone say RFA raid or are you just joking / speculating?

I only heard trade for an RFA.
Just me speculating...I agree it'd be more likely a trade, but I wonder if Lowe might let the GM he wants to deal with known in plain english that there's 2 different ways you can obtain a group II RFA: The easy way, or the REAL easy way (to borrow a line from Reign of Fire).

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote