HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kevin Lowe on 1260

Old
02-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Just me speculating...I agree it'd be more likely a trade, but I wonder if Lowe might let the GM he wants to deal with known in plain english that there's 2 different ways you can obtain a group II RFA: The easy way, or the REAL easy way (to borrow a line from Reign of Fire).
That would be crazy but interesting if that happened. Probably not worth trying though as Philly will have some major Cap space after their moves and could match it.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Tricolore#20

Is Dion Phaneuf signed beyond this year? IMO he is an ideal candidate. You could offer him enough so that the Oilers don't have to give up as much compensation (because he is young, and doesn't warrant the maximum yet), but enough such that the Flames have no hope in matching. Plus, the local factor makes him doubly attractive for the Oilers.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Hemsky4PM

Here's one to consider. Thornton and Marleau will both be UFA's after next season. Thornton is a max player, Marleau probably a 6-6.5M player.

The TB big three could be on the block this summer, and St. Louis is Smyth's age. Kovalchuk and Hossa...will they both stay in Atlanta if they flame out in the playoffs and a new GM comes in there?

Needless to say, Lowe built a contender last season and he can do it again.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
That would be crazy but interesting if that happened. Probably not worth trying though as Philly will have some major Cap space after their moves and could match it.
Well a few potential targets:

Nashville: Ryan Suter

Major FAs: Kariya, Forsberg, Timmonen, Vishevski, Hartnell

Buffalo: Vanek, Paille, Roy, Peters and Paetsch

Major FAs: Briere, Drury, Mair, Numminen

Just a few i guess....

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
That being said, I can't see there being retaliation against the Oilers if the tried to poach Pitkanen off of the Flyers. We're just sticking up for our buddies, the Canucks.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
CoreyGraham

I'll archive the Lowe interview tonight at http://www.upwithsports.com

CoreyGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Spawn

I don't think lowe would put in offer sheets, I think he would offer a trade to a team who is running low on money, and then sign the RFA. Either way your compensating the team that is giving up the RFA, but one way you don't piss everyone off.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I don't think lowe would put in offer sheets, I think he would offer a trade to a team who is running low on money, and then sign the RFA. Either way your compensating the team that is giving up the RFA, but one way you don't piss everyone off.
Yep, sort of like how Chicago traded for Havlat in the off-season because Ottawa couldn't fit him in under the cap.

02-28-2007, 07:04 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

It is truly exceptional how people demand loyalty while showing none.

If this team doesn't start winning, both Lowe and Smyth will be extreme villains by the end of this season. Listen to the tone already...jeez.

Anyone have a group 2 list btw?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:05 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
That goes for everyone of course.

Quote:
If this team doesn't start winning, both Lowe and Smyth will be extreme villains by the end of this season. Listen to the tone already...jeez.
This would be the situation even if Smyth was still on the team.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:

Anyone have a group 2 list btw?
I could make one, or give you the site i plan on getting the information if you reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy wanted??

any way, Site: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/

Old
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I have a feeling that the asset acquisition was in the plans to acquire a roster player through a trade.

I will put on my happy delirious hat and assume Brad Richards is coming our way
I love the Internet - listening to Edmonton radio here is Ottawa.

One thing Lowe was sorta hinting at was Buffalo and other teams that will have trouble retaining their players because of cap issues. Also, trading assets is also a strong possibility. Teams that don't so so well in the playoffs (T-bay for example) may want to go in a different direction. Stauffer saaid he likes Lecavalier.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
This would be the situation even if Smyth was still on the team.
I don't see them going crazy on Smyth especially if he was here. Especially the media.

Old
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I could make one, or give you the site i plan on getting the information if you reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyy wanted??

any way, Site: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/
I'll peruse the site. Thanks!

Old
02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
RFA's eh?

Matthew Lombardi, Jordan Leopold, Nick Shultz, Mikko Koivu, Dustin Penner, Ryan Shannon, Jussi Jokinen, Keith Ballard, Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Anton Volchenkov, Carlo Colaiacovo, Zach Parise, Paul Martin, Trent Hunter, Petr Prucha, Karel Rachunek, Lasse Kukkonen, Joni Pitkanen, Colby Armstrong, Ryan Whitney, Garnett Exelby, Nathan Horton, Paul Ranger, Ryan Craig, Steve Eminger

Those are the high profile ones who could maybe be available for a raid and/or a trade.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
alanschu

Quote:
I don't see them going crazy on Smyth especially if he was here. Especially the media.
You do see fans going crazy on Smyth now that he's not on the team? Seems like he has a free pass from casual fans.

If the Oilers continued to lose, the ilk of the fans would return.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
RFA's eh?

Matthew Lombardi, Jordan Leopold, Nick Shultz, Mikko Koivu, Dustin Penner, Ryan Shannon, Jussi Jokinen, Keith Ballard, Thomas Vanek, Derek Roy, Anton Volchenkov, Carlo Colaiacovo, Zach Parise, Paul Martin, Trent Hunter, Petr Prucha, Karel Rachunek, Lasse Kukkonen, Joni Pitkanen, Colby Armstrong, Ryan Whitney, Garnett Exelby, Nathan Horton, Paul Ranger, Ryan Craig, Steve Eminger

Those are the high profile ones who could maybe be available for a raid and/or a trade.
I just looked...man the crop sucks...everyone that's an RFA is a guy coming off his first deal who WILL be back with his team...There's Paul Martin maybe available...that's it.

Old
02-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I just looked...man the crop sucks...everyone that's an RFA is a guy coming off his first deal who WILL be back with his team...There's Paul Martin maybe available...that's it.
As an example, Buffalo has cap (budget) troubles and will be forced to either let go of Briere/Drury or trade Vanek/Roy or another roster player like Kalinin/Afinogenov/Kotalik/etc.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:27 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
As an example, Buffalo has cap (budget) troubles and will be forced to either let go of Briere/Drury or trade Vanek/Roy or another roster player like Kalinin/Afinogenov/Kotalik/etc.
I really can't see them trading Vanek, who I'd want. No need for Roy.

Kalinin of course would be nice, but you'd think they'd find another way. There's also a bunch of teams that I'd love to deal with that have nothing but unimportant RFAs...ARGH!

Old
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I really can't see them trading Vanek, who I'd want. No need for Roy.

Kalinin of course would be nice, but you'd think they'd find another way. There's also a bunch of teams that I'd love to deal with that have nothing but unimportant RFAs...ARGH!
They're gonna have to do something. And a good player will be available from their roster one way or another.

Moving away from RFAs, several teams are going to be in some cap trouble. Many UFAs will not be re-signed. Lowe has a lot cap space and more picks/prospects to play with this time around, unlike the last offseason when he didn't have a 1st rounder on draft day, had to use that cap space to re-sign his own players, etc.

Old
02-28-2007, 07:38 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
They're gonna have to do something. And a good player will be available from their roster one way or another.

Moving away from RFAs, several teams are going to be in some cap trouble. Many UFAs will not be re-signed. Lowe has a lot cap space and more picks/prospects to play with this time around, unlike the last offseason when he didn't have a 1st rounder on draft day, had to use that cap space to re-sign his own players, etc.
Colorado (assuming they assign Theo to the AHL), Detroit, Philly, LA, Phoenix, St. Louis, Montreal, New Jersey, NYI, Florida and Washington are all in nice cap positions next season.

On a trading front, Philly, LA and St. Louis are sitting pretty. Don't believe anyone else is. I don't think St. Louis or LA are planning on contending next season..

So it may just be us and Philly as big spenders on a potential trade market.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
I wouldn;t mind Martin one bit! His stats a bit:

Avg Mins/Game: 25.86 mins
+/-: -5
Pts: 22 (2 g, 20 a)
PIMS: 10

Thats not to bad, maybe if we trade Martin and take MAtchuvik or Lukowich in return and give em Greene + for a bit of Cap relief, maybe then they trade?? I honestly didn't realise Martin was this good after i saw his stats, definetly see why Lowe wanted him...

Old
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Colorado (assuming they assign Theo to the AHL), Detroit, Philly, LA, Phoenix, St. Louis, Montreal, New Jersey, NYI, Florida and Washington are all in nice cap positions next season.

On a trading front, Philly, LA and St. Louis are sitting pretty. Don't believe anyone else is. I don't think St. Louis or LA are planning on contending next season..

So it may just be us and Philly as big spenders on a potential trade market.
Don't get me excited.

Old
02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
My money is on Paul Ranger. Extremely underrated top-four guy. The Lightning have four defensemen and a top-six winger heading for free agency. Lowe might try the easy/hard way as suggested: see what the market price is for trading for Ranger, and if it's too high, throw an offer sheet at him. He's 22 years old and playing 20 minutes a game. Oh yeah, and he has almost 30 points. A perfect addition.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
gerald78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
ok i was listening and im a fast typer so here ya go.... was typing fast so sorry about grammer mistakes etc.

Concerned about optics with pronger and smyth trades?
Always concerned about optics, but still have to make deals. He didn’t want to trade pronger, so that trade doesn’t count. Didn’t really want to trade smyth either, but had problem with number and commitment of years. How far do we go? We were further than we anticipated going, and it still wasn’t good enough. Climbing the standings for playoffs was difficult, so added more assets. Maybe they can get another chris pronger in the future

What were the final numbers (5.3-5.5)?
You’re in the range, no question. This was a hockey decision, not a financial one. Financial in that we can only commit so much to a player of ryans ability, but if there happens to be player with higher ability in the future, we have the ability to get that player.

Were you within 200k of what smyth wanted?
Unfair to say. We thought we had agreed to their deal on all fronts, but it didn’t get there. It sent signal that we were uncertain that player wanted to remain here. Based on Ryans reaction, I don’t think it was the case he wanted to be elsewhere. The number was an uncomfortable number. We were faced with signing or trading ryan, we couldn’t wait until the end of the season and have them walk away. We had that happen last year. You do that too much as organization and you lose too many assets. Now we’ve added assets which we might be able to make into higher end players.

You both appeared shook up at the conference today, was he shocked when you told him he was traded?
Yes he was. We were shocked too. We thought we had gone far enough to sign him. It wasn’t just from yesterdays negotiation, the past talks had signalled that ryan being here long term wasn’t favourable. The signal that was sent to us wasn’t that ryan clearly wanted to be here. We had to protect the organization.

Would losing him to UFA in July allow media to hammer lowe? Do you have responsibility to make moves before that?
Yes. When you go to the finals, you take that chance (as last year). You then have to hope you get lucky in FA and you can replace those players, or with young players. Buffalo has done great job replacing players from drafting. They have bolstered their talent pool, have withstood 6 injuries this year. Their prospects have stepped in and their GM is thinking “we can replace these guys” (that are lost to UFA). By having assets, that’s put Buffalo in pretty good position. We lost some by choice last year, couldn’t lose smyth this year for nothing.

Tell us about prospects coming back?
Liked both in draft years. Nilsson more skilled than O’marra. We look at their track records as if thery don’t have good pedigree, they aren’t going to become scorers in the NHL. People say Nilsson is soft, I disagree. Nilsson is sort of a hemsky player. O’marra will be fine 2-way player. Tough to project where they will be coming out of junior, so he may be different player after. O’marra was relegated to 4th line with juniors, but that’s not all bad as smyth was 4th liner for team canadas as well. If a guy has hockey sense like o’marra does, he’ll find his spot in the NHL. We have other guys like MAP, JFJ, gilbert, brodziak coming soon, and others like cogs etc. We have double the prospects we did before.

I have you at about 35 million next year. Will you be active from the start for FA?
No question. Our scout focus now will be on UFA and group II guys that teams have tough time signing. Could try a trade there. Safe to say we’ll be looking to bolster team this summer.

This was one of toughest days ever, compounded by fact you couldn’t be involved in messiers day.
Upset this had to land on messiers day. Months ago he wondered about that, but thought everything would be fine, thought we’d be adding players. We were not going to not do the deal just because of the day. Knew the move wasn’t popular and it would be hard for people. His daughters were disappointed this morning at breakfast. He told them that things happen in sports, especially when you factor in business side. But it would sure be nice to see ryan back one day. Your dad came back after leaving, maybe ryan could come back one day as well.
maybe stating the obvious here but none of this makes me too optimistic about smyth being resigned to edmonton in the summer. why would any of these issues be any less relevant then? if anything he'll be getting crazy offers then and his price will only go up. i was somewhat encouraged by how emotional smyth seemed about leaving, but now not so much. but the way lowe is making it sound makes me think the issues won't change at all come summer time.

gerald78 is offline   Reply With Quote