HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zetterberg out 2-3 weeks

Old
03-01-2007, 10:25 AM
GuloGulo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
I thought I'd once again share with you guys the astounding knowledge the hockey people at the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet have. This is from today's article about Hank's injury, and basically the whole article is just regurgitated stuff from the FreeP, but then this little gem is added at the end of it:

"Nu får nyförvärvet Todd Bertuzzi direkt dra ett tyngre lass."

Translation: "Now the new acquisition Todd Bertuzzi immediately gets to carry a heavier load."

It's fascinating, isn't it? I'm telling you, over the last three or four years I've seen at most three articles/box scores that didn't have a gross error like that. And they report daily. Jesus Borat Christ.
Aah Aftonbladet. Their moment of glory - forging attendance numbers on their NHL game recaps just to find out which fansites were cut n pasting them?

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
TheDakkster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo View Post
Aah Aftonbladet. Their moment of glory - forging attendance numbers on their NHL game recaps just to find out which fansites were cut n pasting them?
I love it every time Mats Wennerholm has "written" a long column and it's basically ripped verbatim from one of the ESPN columnists. They probably have some deal worked out, but it's still pathetic to put his name on them.

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
DrCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
At any rate, nothing helps that kind of injury more than being able to rest it, and two or so weeks of rest at this time of year is a godsend.
Yep, a rest will set him up nicely for the playoffs.

Last edited by DrCrane: 03-01-2007 at 03:17 PM.
DrCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:01 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartestManOnEarth View Post
Really?
What if Datsyuk is Hercules over the next three weeks and blows in the playoffs?

We've seen Pavel carry this team before. Back in Winter December 03, If I recall correctly, when the entire Wings roster was injured. When Bootland and Nate Robinson were taking regular shifts.
He blew up for about a month.

And then, when everyone was healthy again, he settled down.
I remember that very well and that's what I had it in mind. The point is that Datsyuk would increase his value with other teams/GMs which "dream" of making the playoffs, while his value for the Wings would sink cause obviously the playoffs are a given for the Wings and losing in the 1st round would be disastrous.
Everybody around the league knows that Z, D and Lang struggled this season at different times, but for the last 2-3 months D and Z really stepped up and carried the team, while 2nd line/Lang and the rest of the team did not do much if anything. Now everybody would like to see what Datsyuk can do as he is without Z as they started producing when they were put together. For the past 2-3 months they have been the hottest duo in the league, but the question is could they click with other teammates. Now whichever GM wonders if Datsyuk would fit in with his team, has a chance to check it out to some extent.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:35 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Really?
What if Datsyuk is Hercules over the next three weeks and blows in the playoffs?
He'll get an offer of 4.5-5.5 mil a year from some team. If he plays at least decently in the playoffs he'll get 5.5-6.5. If he goes crazy in the playoffs it's 6.5 plus, easy.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
He'll get an offer of 4.5-5.5 mil a year from some team. If he plays at least decently in the playoffs he'll get 5.5-6.5. If he goes crazy in the playoffs it's 6.5 plus, easy.
Didn't he already got an offer from the Wings around 5,5?

Old
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
wingnut22

Yeah, the injury sucks, but does anyone else see any upside to this? This give Z a chance to rest up for the playoffs, and this forces Babcock to come up with other effective lines. We weren't going to get away with only one effective line going into the playoffs, this forces the rest of the team to step up and produce, instead of just riding on Dats and Z.

wingnut22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:09 PM
cmccallum

get well hank no rush.... be safe. bad news but at least hasek is healthy.

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:13 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Didn't he already got an offer from the Wings around 5,5?
I've seen speculation. Nothing concrete.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
14ari13

Quote:
I've seen speculation. Nothing concrete.
Up to this point, I believe he has at least an offer on the table around 5-5,5M easily.
If he plays well rest of the season and go crazy in the PO, then he can easily get 7 and deservingly so.

Old
03-01-2007, 04:58 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Up to this point, I believe he has at least an offer on the table around 5-5,5M easily..
Just a personal belief? Or something you've seen reported?

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:32 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Just a personal belief? Or something you've seen reported?
Nothing official, just the same articles and rumours which everybody has read.
I think you have also stated somewhere that he could easily get 5-5,5 or I remember wrong.
But 2 games without Z and Datsyuk is doing fine. True vs the Hawks, but his inspiring plays, setting up Hudler, Filppula, "Schneider" ... speak in his favour a lot.
The last game there was no doubt that he can make his teammates better. I have never doubted it that, some have. But he is setting up players, making amazing plays, steal pucks here and there, and is in general a great treat to watch.

Old
03-03-2007, 05:42 PM
redwingsdude

They aren't rushing it because it is worse than we all thought, turns out Z has an inflamed herniated disk. He shouldn't be out too long, but it's definitely worse than just back "problems", and just resting him. Hopefully this doesn't hamper his return.

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Birko19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsdude View Post
They aren't rushing it because it is worse than we all thought, turns out Z has an inflamed herniated disk. He shouldn't be out too long, but it's definitely worse than just back "problems", and just resting him. Hopefully this doesn't hamper his return.
I did some research and found the following:

"In most cases, a herniated disk will heal on its own with around two days of bed rest, over-the-counter pain relievers to help with the discomfort, and anti-inflammatory medications. Your doctor will recommend how and when to treat the condition with cold or heat packs, and when you can gradually resume activity. You will need to avoid any type of lifting until the injury has healed. It is extremely important to learn to lift objects properly to avoid re-injury. Some patients who do not recover with this treatment require injections of an anti-inflammatory medication into the spinal area. If the disk has fragmented, your doctor may recommend surgery to remove the pieces of the disk that are compressing the nerve. There are many types of surgical techniques for repairing a herniated disk. With a laminectomy, the surgeon removes any fragments of the disk that are pressing on the nerve, as well as a part of the vertebra called the lamina. Microsurgical techniques require smaller incisions and only a local anesthetic. Some types of herniated disk surgeries can be performed on an outpatient basis. The extent of your injury, as well as your age and overall health, will help determine the type of surgery that is best for you. Surgery is followed by physical therapy to strengthen the back and help you resume normal activities."

Let's just hope that Z's case is one of the most common ones...

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:56 PM
redwingsdude

I'm aware of what a herniated disk is, anyone who follows sports knows they are fairly common, but how often do you hear of an athlete recovering and being game-ready withing two days? The problem is that it is inflamed, as in he has had a herniated disk for some time now, and has been playing with it.

The point is that it is not just back spasms that kept Z out of a practice, but that it is more serious, and he actually has an injury that needs healing, not just "some rest before the playoffs" like people on here have been speculating.

A herniated disk is what has kept Bertuzzi out since October, think about that for a minute.

But yes, hopefully it isn't too bad.

redwingsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Birko19

Well I'm not very familiar with such injuries so I can't comment much other then hoping that both of Z and Bert come back and play well.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote