HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Day 2007

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
  #1
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 692
Draft Day 2007

I am sitting here thinking of the possibilities with us having 3 first round picks this year and instead of coming up with all the trade scenarios I thought I would go through what I would consider the ideal scenario if we were to just use the picks.

Oilers 1st round pick - I am predicting will be in the 8 - 12 overall range

Ideal Candidates in order of preference

Alzner (ISS-#2) (CSS - #9) (McKeen - #4)
- probably a pipe dream but I would love it if this guy was available when it comes our time to pick

Turris(ISS - #7) (CSS - #5) (McKeen - #2)
- probably unlikely as well but I bet there is a better shot of him being available than Alzner. Possesses great goal scoring talent

Ellerby (ISS - #9) (CSS - #6) (McKeen - #7)
- another solid puck moving dman

Esposito (ISS - #10) (CSS - #1) (McKeen - Not in top 10)
- has dropped out of the top 10 in McKeens list, still possesses a solid skill set and if available when the oilers pick do they take another raw talented offensive forward that will need 2 - 3 years in the minors?

Couture (ISS - #6) (CSS - #11) (McKeen - #10)
- Has dropped from the beginning of the season but is probably the most complete player out of this group. My guess is if the two mentioned dman are gone by the time Lowe's first pick is up he takes this guy.

Honorable mention - John Blum - another gifted offensive dman

Oilers 1st round pick (NYI) - I am predicting will be in the 14 - 18 overall range

Aliu (ISS - #24) (CSS - #33)
- Big man that has been gaining alot of momentum and moving up the rankings all year. Not sure if it's worth taking him this high though.

Hamill (ISS - #19) (CSS - #22)
-another offensive centerman

Oilers 1st round pick (ANH) - I am predicting will be in the 25 - 30 overall range

Moller (ISS - #25) (CSS - #35)
- Edgy RW who has put up good numbers this year. Named MVP of his team in the prospects game

Ruzicka (ISS - #NR) (CSS - #6 European Skater)
- This guy has game breaking skill but has been a labeled lazy and lacks intensity. I think KLowe takes a shot at him if we get desirable players with the first 2 picks.

McLean (ISS - #28) (CSS - #40)
- Has great puck handling skills would be a pretty decent late round pick


Ultimately I would like to see one of the three scenarios (with the first one not likely)

1. Alzner
2. Aliu
3. Ruzicka

or

1. Turris
2. Aliu
3. Moller

or

1. Ellerby
2. Aliu / Hamill
3. Moller

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 05:27 PM
  #2
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
isnt there a good chance of Alzner going 1st overall? I doubt him, turris or esposito will be available by the time it gets to us.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
  #3
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical View Post
isnt there a good chance of Alzner going 1st overall? I doubt him, turris or esposito will be available by the time it gets to us.
hence the pipe dream statement for Alzner. I also stated that Turris is highly unlikely as well.

Esposito has lost a lot of his lustre this year but still I think will go top 6 but its pretty wide open and the rankings seem to b all over the place.

I honestly believe that if we stay 8 - 10 that we will end up getting Ellerby or Couture. If we could get Ellerby, Akiu and Moller/Ruzicka I would be happy

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:19 PM
  #4
McOilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
McOilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,921
vCash: 50
For me its this:

1.) Turris
2.) Petrecki
3.) Cunti


If we leave with those three players, i will be very please. It also seems like Katic could go 2nd round based on all the other players moving up, if so, then Katic in the second round. If this draft happens, then im a happy man.

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:31 PM
  #5
oilfaninvan
Registered User
 
oilfaninvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: van
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
I'd like to see one of these picks used in a trade for a superstar.

Is 2007 looking to be a strong draft year? Doesn't seem like it to me.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:43 PM
  #6
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
For me its this:

1.) Turris
2.) Petrecki
3.) Cunti


If we leave with those three players, i will be very please. It also seems like Katic could go 2nd round based on all the other players moving up, if so, then Katic in the second round. If this draft happens, then im a happy man.
I originally had Petrecki in my NYI pick list but took him out as I am really not sure as to his offensive abilities and I think any dman drafted this year in the first two rounds should have soe potential. I believe Petrecki had 18pts this year playing in Omaha so maybe he fits the bill. I noticed he has 110 pims so he looks to be pretty physical as well.

I have heard a lot of good things abount Cunti, is his skill set comparable to Ruzicka?

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 06:56 PM
  #7
McOilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
McOilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,921
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogorr View Post
I originally had Petrecki in my NYI pick list but took him out as I am really not sure as to his offensive abilities and I think any dman drafted this year in the first two rounds should have soe potential. I believe Petrecki had 18pts this year playing in Omaha so maybe he fits the bill. I noticed he has 110 pims so he looks to be pretty physical as well.

I have heard a lot of good things abount Cunti, is his skill set comparable to Ruzicka?
Petrecki is comparable to Regher, im saying this in the regards to to things:

1.) We need someone who is physical and isn't a Goon projected (Peckman) and higher potential (Young).

2.) If Greene does get traded, we need someone to fill his spot as physical type D-man.


Cunti i'm VERY high on, very good skill set IMO, I dont have McKeen's or Draft Digest or any of those high gadget type things, but i got one site which i base alot off, here is his scouting report:

Was impressive last year at the Viking Cup, but his real coming out party was in Sweden this year when was the most impressive player at the U-18 tournament. Cunti's strength is magnetic hands that may be unrivaled in this draft. He is a deadly finisher, and is by far the most talented offensive player to come from Sweden in a long time. Could be this years Kopitar.


McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
  #8
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Petrecki is comparable to Regher, im saying this in the regards to to things:

1.) We need someone who is physical and isn't a Goon projected (Peckman) and higher potential (Young).

2.) If Greene does get traded, we need someone to fill his spot as physical type D-man.


Cunti i'm VERY high on, very good skill set IMO, I dont have McKeen's or Draft Digest or any of those high gadget type things, but i got one site which i base alot off, here is his scouting report:

Was impressive last year at the Viking Cup, but his real coming out party was in Sweden this year when was the most impressive player at the U-18 tournament. Cunti's strength is magnetic hands that may be unrivaled in this draft. He is a deadly finisher, and is by far the most talented offensive player to come from Sweden in a long time. Could be this years Kopitar.

We haven't had one of those in... forever

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
  #9
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
I'd like to draft Sutter, just to piss of his dad and uncles.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
  #10
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
For me its this:

1.) Turris
2.) Petrecki
3.) Cunti


If we leave with those three players, i will be very please. It also seems like Katic could go 2nd round based on all the other players moving up, if so, then Katic in the second round. If this draft happens, then im a happy man.

Ditto. My fantasy 3 as well, I suspect we'd have to trade up for Turris though.

And I have no faith in Aliu. I see bust written all over him.

__________________
Fire Eakins. Fire MacT. Fire Lowe. House cleaned!

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
  #11
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I'd like to draft Sutter, just to piss of his dad and uncles.
I would actually, if he's still hanging around further down.

Here's how I would do it

Turris
Elerby
Sutter/Aliu

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
  #12
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I'd like to draft Sutter, just to piss of his dad and uncles.
hehehe, offer him up for Phaneuf

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
  #13
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
I'm not a prospects guy and I don't pretend to know anything about prospects but I am hearing really good things about Logan Couture here is Ottawa.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
  #14
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
I'm not a prospects guy and I don't pretend to know anything about prospects but I am hearing really good things about Logan Couture here is Ottawa.
He's my choice if we can't trade up for Turris

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
  #15
tru_gq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: T-dot/E-town/Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
i'm a fan of Esposito.. I don't think an offensive Dman will be our problem by the time these kids are ready to step into the NHL. I say take the most skilled player available ..

I hope we get Turris as well but seems like he wont be around when we pick.

maybe we can trade our pick + horcoff for a couple spots up

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:26 PM
  #16
tru_gq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: T-dot/E-town/Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
is it sam gagner's draft year as well? if so where will he go? second round.. late first?

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
  #17
SkiAmigo
Registered User
 
SkiAmigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
If we don't get in the show maybe we root for the ducks and all of a sudden we have 4 1st round picks if they make the finals!.....FCP!

SkiAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
  #18
tru_gq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: T-dot/E-town/Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
If we don't get in the show maybe we root for the ducks and all of a sudden we have 4 1st round picks if they make the finals!.....FCP!
hhahahahah that would be hilarious.. one thing for sure I am watching the draft this year again...

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
  #19
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,433
vCash: 500
I realize that we are talk about potential players to draft, but does anyone else get the feeling that 1 or 2 1sts will dealt for something at the draft?

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:32 PM
  #20
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_gq View Post
i'm a fan of Esposito.. I don't think an offensive Dman will be our problem by the time these kids are ready to step into the NHL. I say take the most skilled player available ..

I hope we get Turris as well but seems like he wont be around when we pick.

maybe we can trade our pick + horcoff for a couple spots up
Frankly is we don't get Turris, Gagner, Esposito, van Riemsdyk, Voracek, Couture, Ellerby, would all be fine.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
  #21
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_gq View Post
is it sam gagner's draft year as well? if so where will he go? second round.. late first?
top 10. No doubt in my mind. Gagner is really good.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:42 PM
  #22
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_gq View Post
is it sam gagner's draft year as well? if so where will he go? second round.. late first?
try top 10.. ISS has him at #8 overall.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:54 PM
  #23
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
I'm not a prospects guy and I don't pretend to know anything about prospects but I am hearing really good things about Logan Couture here is Ottawa.
I like couture as well. I think he is more of a MacT player than the other available forwards as he is a more complete player.

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
  #24
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I realize that we are talk about potential players to draft, but does anyone else get the feeling that 1 or 2 1sts will dealt for something at the draft?
As they should, too bad Lowe couldn't get the Islanders '08 pick instead. I said it yesterday, Lowe's next move should be packaging 2 or 3 assets for an upgrade. I don't know if moving up in the draft is a good idea, because there isn't really any world beaters. Realisitically, we'll have one top 10 pick, one 10-20 pick, and one 20-30 pick. If there is a deal to be made, to move into the top 5, and not give up an arm and a leg, then do it. But this isn't a draft to salivate over.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 08:00 PM
  #25
ogorr
Registered User
 
ogorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 692
seeing the comments from Lowe on Team 1260 today, it indicates to me that he will very much be a player come draft day and I could see him easily moving everypossible asset to make a big splash

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.