HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

From an Islanders blog

Old
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Loweball

vCash: 500
From an Islanders blog

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._islander.html

Best quote I heard.

"this is one of the dumbest trades i've ever seen. how can you trade one of your top prospects and a first rounder for a 30-goal scorer free agent when you have zero chance of winning the cup."

I would like to add, TWO of your top prospects. The New York Islanders still might miss the playoffs and have no chance anyways of winning the cup. Garth Snow is an idiot and this reminds me of all the days we used to fleece Mike Milbury.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Wow, their fans' response seem to go from Great/Excitement to Boo-urns/Anger.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

he defintiely doesnt speak for most Isles fans. We are tremendously excited to get a player like Ryan. Cant wait to see him at the game tomorrow.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Loweball

He'll be there in body only. His heart won't be even close to there. Sorry, dude. In fact, it won't ever be there. He'll be back here before he even unpacks his bags.

Last edited by Loweball: 02-28-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old
02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

thanks but we shall see what happens. I am just glad we got him even if it is fr 20+ games. Have always liked the guy.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Donnico1

I've got news for you guys- Nilsson has a lot of skill but he'll never be an NHL star because he has no heart and he's not physical. Thats why Nolan refused to bring him up all year, and he relegated to the minors with the first cut during training camp. Nilsson was and is a huge disappointment. You really got nothing special with him. He's gonna be a streaky 3rd liner.

O'Marra is young and is clearly the better of the two prospects you got, but his stock has been falling recently. It was thought he was going to be a 1st line center, and now hes projecting more like a 3d line physical Sillinger type.

Finally, the 1st RDP is likely to be in the 15-20 range in a very shallow draft. Was it really worth it to lose your captain, possibly forever, over $300,000?

You can talk about who fleeced who all you want, but this deal happened simply cause your ownership was cheap.

Donnico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Loweball

What am I talking about!! Smytty can't play without heart. I take back what i say. He will try his best but needs a few days to get over this I am sure. Enjoy it while you can.

Old
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
He'll be there in body only. His heart won't be even close to there. Sorry, dude. In fact, it won't ever be there. He'll be back here before he even unpacks his bags.
They got our best player... don't try telling them that he won't be nearly as good there as he was here.

Enjoy him, Isles fans. A real treat to watch, especially when he's behind the net battling for the puck or tipping point shots.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnico1 View Post
Was it really worth it to lose your captain, possibly forever, over $300,000?
Annddd that was the sound of Donnico's credibility dying a painful death.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:15 PM
vb

Yeah it's been almost 23 years, I can cheer for the Isles a bit

Seriously, I expect a big game from Smyth tomorrow. He always played well against the Blues and has had a couple hat tricks against them (one in a 3-0 game )

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Loweball

No, it happened because your ownership and management is stupid and feels they are close to doing something. Or Snow needs to make the playoffs to keep his job.

You won't have those three players OR Ryan Smyth in 30 games, maybe 34 if you make the playoffs anyways. It could have been you or the Rags, or any other team. Three first rounders for a player who will play a few games for you is insane management of assets.

Old
02-28-2007, 09:50 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:

Best quote I heard.

"this is one of the dumbest trades i've ever seen. how can you trade one of your top prospects and a first rounder for a 30-goal scorer free agent when you have zero chance of winning the cup."

I would like to add, TWO of your top prospects. The New York Islanders still might miss the playoffs and have no chance anyways of winning the cup. Garth Snow is an idiot and this reminds me of all the days we used to fleece Mike Milbury.
It was a hell of a trade for the Islanders.

Ryan Smyth will help any team win the Cup more than Guerin, Bertuzzi, Forsberg, Roberts or any of the other hacks who got dealt at deadline day.

The Isles are contenders with Smyth. Period.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
No, it happened because your ownership and management is stupid and feels they are close to doing something. Or Snow needs to make the playoffs to keep his job.

You won't have those three players OR Ryan Smyth in 30 games, maybe 34 if you make the playoffs anyways. It could have been you or the Rags, or any other team. Three first rounders for a player who will play a few games for you is insane management of assets.

Are you an Oilers fan?

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

EO, Smyth will be a great player for them. He plays hard, he doesn't know any other way to play.

And come July 1st, he'll choose where he wants to go. He'll likely start with offers from the Oiler and Isle though.

That being said. JFJ is the type of guy that would kill for Smyth and I would expect a big offer from TO. The cap is going up, and with the extra exposure he's going to receive in a Conf. that hasn't seen much of him this year; he's going to be the darling of the CBC. Expect the "Smyth wants to be a leaf" rumors to start up as soon as he start scoring out East. They could do something stupid, like offer 7M if he has a big playoffs again.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Stevedude530

Fans in the Long Island area remember Mike Bordick on the Mets too much.

The simple fact is that the Isles sent two prospects, one who's stock is falling faster than Gary Bettman's new NHL principles, one who had an injury at the start of the year and has had trouble shaking it off, and a 1st round pick that won't be too high if the Islanders play to potential.

Okposo's the real gem of the Isle prospect corps.

Your forgetting the one major factor here: Ted Nolan. Will anyone not play their blood and guts out for him? Trust me, Teddy will get everything he can out of #94.

By the way, an Islander wearing the #94 has to be some kind of sacrilidge.

Stevedude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
giddy up

Quote:
sounds like someone is in denial and directing all of his anger to the team that just robbed them of their heart and soul for nothing (Nillson: bust, O'Marra: Broken ankle but has some chance, and a 1st round pick in one of the worst draft years in hockey history)

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Symth is an honourable guy. He will play his best for the Island guaranteed. Just sour grapes from Oiler fans. Having said that, I don't think the Isles will do anything much even if they make the playoffs. Perhaps they will improve on their dismal attendence.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:37 PM
dok101

Ryan arrived on Long Island an hour and a half ago. Here is a link to the story on NYI.Com

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/pres...ve.asp?id=1453

dok101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:38 PM
dok101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedude530 View Post
Fans in the Long Island area remember Mike Bordick on the Mets too much.

The simple fact is that the Isles sent two prospects, one who's stock is falling faster than Gary Bettman's new NHL principles, one who had an injury at the start of the year and has had trouble shaking it off, and a 1st round pick that won't be too high if the Islanders play to potential.

Okposo's the real gem of the Isle prospect corps.

Your forgetting the one major factor here: Ted Nolan. Will anyone not play their blood and guts out for him? Trust me, Teddy will get everything he can out of #94.

By the way, an Islander wearing the #94 has to be some kind of sacrilidge.
Because of what the Messiah did?

dok101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
dodecapod*

It'll be a bad deal for the Isles only if Smyth doesn't resign. If he does though, they got Smyth at a bargain of a deal.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:

Best quote I heard.

Have you read Darth Milbury's post about the trade? It's in the Fishsticks forum. He's pretty pissed off about the trade.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 11:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
thanks but we shall see what happens. I am just glad we got him even if it is fr 20+ games. Have always liked the guy.
If I was an Islander fan and watched that press conference I would be dying inside because Wang will have to hugely overpay for Ryan Smyth to remain an Islander.

You gave up a lot for a rental that has his heart still in Edmonton.

Don't get me wrong, he will give his all (because that is Ryan Smyth) but I don't think Wang was dancing in the war room today.

He will say all the right things but his true feelings are very obvious.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 03-01-2007 at 12:08 AM.
hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:14 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

Don't get me wrong, he will give his all (because that is Ryan Smyth) but I don't think Wang was dancing in the war room today.

Yesterday, Gary Green of the NHL network mentioned how Wang was dancing in his office one the trade was completed.

I think he'll be throwing the money at him. Question is, will Smyth accept it, and whether Lowe's future includes Smyth on this team.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:19 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Yesterday, Gary Green of the NHL network mentioned how Wang was dancing in his office one the trade was completed.

I think he'll be throwing the money at him. Question is, will Smyth accept it, and whether Lowe's future includes Smyth on this team.
Yes and that is why I mentioned the dancing today (it added punch!)

He will have too. Let me quote Ryan Smyth "my heart is in Edmonton"

Wang may offer him the moon to resign Smytty, but Oilers fans didn't want him at 5.75. If Wang has to pay more than that would you want to match it if you were Kevin Lowe?

I would go in a different direction and Lowe might anyway.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Have you read Darth Milbury's post about the trade? It's in the Fishsticks forum. He's pretty pissed off about the trade.
I can't find it.

I always find DM's posts to be of high quality and I'm looking forward to reading his analysis of the trade.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote