HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Question of Cap Space...

Old
02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
A Question of Cap Space...

I've been listening to TSN pretty hardcore for the past few days and most of the people on the panel have slammed the Smyth deal. However, all of them are in agreement that Lowe will look like a genius if he signs Smyth in the off-season. Here's a question:

Does Lowe not look like a genius if he goes out in the off-season and signs Briere?

Does Lowe not look like a genius if he goes out in the off-season and signs A. Markov and Hartnell?

Does Lowe not look like a genius if he goes out in the off-season and trades for a RFA who a team is having trouble signing?

Lowe won't look like a genius if he goes out in the off-season and signs Smyth, he'll look like a genius if he effectively uses the cap space he's opened up by not resigning Smyth long-term.

The cap is a relatively new concept in the NHL and a lot of people seem to be having trouble realizing the fact that cap space is an asset in and of itself. Take a quick look on any NBA message board, cap space is the be-all-end-all when it comes to team management.

I've said it all along, much of my judgment in regards to this trade will depend on how Lowe uses the cap space he's opened up. The Smyth trade doesn't break down to O'Marra, Nilsson + a 1st for Smyth, it breaks down to O'Marra, Nilsson, a 1st + XXX for Smyth. I truly feel the Oilers could actually come out of this ahead if Lowe makes some smart moves both at the draft and through unrestricted free agency.

02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Petro Points

Lowe wouldve looked smarter right now had he also traded away some of Sykora, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Roy, SMITH, Petersen, winchester etc etc..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical View Post
Lowe wouldve looked smarter right now had he also traded away some of Sykora, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Roy, SMITH, Petersen, winchester etc etc..
I remember back when the Chicago Bulls looked like absolute geniuses for trading away players like Brand, Miller and Artest for "sure-shot" young players like Curry and Chandler. Sure Brand was a 20-10 guy every night but Curry and Chandler were going to anchor them down in the post for the next decade plus. You can guess how that turned out...

This team doesn't need to sell the house, they need to tinker a bit with the balance of the roster.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

It will be a steal if he does re-sign Smyth, but it will now cost him anywhere from 5.75-6 mil a year to do it....and that will have to be over 3 or 4 years. The thing that has me sick to my stomach is if Lowe does the truely smart thing.....waits until the 08 offseason. We all know that a lot of the big names scheduled to be UFA's that offseason will get locked up, but it will still be an amazing class. The reason it has me sick to my stomach is that we would have to suffer through a season of what happend last night. If K-Lowe does something this offseason, I would look for two big trades, and to sign Hartnell.

And yes Cerebral you're bang on, that will make Lowe look brilliant....and yes, so many people that are fans of the game and that cover the game still don't realize that it is a cap world. When the new CBA came into play, it wasn't so much that small market teams would get to keep all there stars, it was that the big market teams would have to function like the small market teams have always had to. Sure we can keep stars, but people will soon find out the teams that don't make the tough decisons like we had to yesterday will get burned very badly.

I for one, I don't know what the Islanders are thinking. I mean we all know what Smyth brings to a team, but they didn't bother to address a blueline that got MAB for an UPGRADE! No doubt they have a stellar group of forwards, but I personally hate there chances of making it out of the 1st round. The difference between them this year and us last year was that we had a complete team, no holes. They don't have that at all.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

I agree with KLowe's supposed motives. An offer of 5.4 was more than fair when a NMC comes in, which i'm assuming KLowe included after he said he covered most of the those types of bases in the contract.

I'd take him back at a fair price. Hopefully this stint with the Isles reveals to him what he really wants.

Anyone wanna pitch in for a nice fruit basket for Stacey? Something along the lines of a we-love-you-don't-leave-your-Edmonton-royalty variety?

EDIT:
Addressing your post Cerebral, I'm very concerned about our ability to attract top-notch FAs. What kind of team do we have to offer them? We may think we're a piece or two away from the puzzle, but they might not see it that way. We shall see.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I remember back when the Chicago Bulls looked like absolute geniuses for trading away players like Brand, Miller and Artest for "sure-shot" young players like Curry and Chandler. Sure Brand was a 20-10 guy every night but Curry and Chandler were going to anchor them down in the post for the next decade plus. You can guess how that turned out...
Actually, when you consider that they turned Curry into the Knicks lottery pick for the last two seasons it wasn't that bad of deal in the end.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Actually, when you consider that they turned Curry into the Knicks lottery pick for the last two seasons it wasn't that bad of deal in the end.
It's looking like it might work out but that's more or less just because the Knicks are idiots. The gist of the fable is that they traded away a bunch of quality NBA players for young players who "looked" like they would develop into stars and things didn't turn out that way.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote