HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline 2008: Fedorov?

Old
03-01-2007, 01:43 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 500
Trade Deadline 2008: Fedorov?

Next season is the final year in Sergei Fedorov's contract. I'm guessing there's a good chance Columbus is going to try to deal him for prospects before his contract runs out.

Even if you're not Detroit, every playoff contender has to think: 3 Stanley Cups, four 20 point playoffs seasons, one of the great playoff performers in NHL history... Worst case scenario, he doesn't produce offensively but he shuts down the opposition's best player. His upside? A Conn Smythe candidate.

I think Detroit would be a great fit for Feds next season. You could throw him on the 2nd or 3rd line, he'll do whatever you want. Could you ask for a better deadline pickup?

Plus, it would be nice to see Feds finish his career in a Red Wings uniform.

Thoughts?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:05 AM
HockeyinHD

Go away.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:44 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Go away.
You first!

I've been calling for this since '03...

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:46 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Go away.
These are the kind of replies that make people wary of posting their ideas on message boards and is obstructive in creating goodwill in an online community. I can appreciate disagreement and healthy debate but outright 'flaming' is uncalled for. I realize that there *some* humor is to be indicated in bluntly writing "go away" and perhaps this was your intention, but it is, in its essence, a put down. If you will not add to the thread, please don't put anything. Let's act like adults here.

Old
03-01-2007, 05:07 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgeniMarklar View Post
These are the kind of replies that make people wary of posting their ideas on message boards and is obstructive in creating goodwill in an online community. I can appreciate disagreement and healthy debate but outright 'flaming' is uncalled for. I realize that there *some* humor is to be indicated in bluntly writing "go away" and perhaps this was your intention, but it is, in its essence, a put down. If you will not add to the thread, please don't put anything. Let's act like adults here.
Wow...

For your sanity I suggest you avoid online forums.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:10 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Wow...

For your sanity I suggest you avoid online forums.
Haha, well, I'm just a crazy idealist

Old
03-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Hendo2k

Send a message via ICQ to Hendo2k Send a message via AIM to Hendo2k Send a message via Yahoo to Hendo2k
Quote:
Next season is the final year in Sergei Fedorov's contract. I'm guessing there's a good chance Columbus is going to try to deal him for prospects before his contract runs out.

Even if you're not Detroit, every playoff contender has to think: 3 Stanley Cups, four 20 point playoffs seasons, one of the great playoff performers in NHL history... Worst case scenario, he doesn't produce offensively but he shuts down the opposition's best player. His upside? A Conn Smythe candidate.

I think Detroit would be a great fit for Feds next season. You could throw him on the 2nd or 3rd line, he'll do whatever you want. Could you ask for a better deadline pickup?

Plus, it would be nice to see Feds finish his career in a Red Wings uniform.

Thoughts?
no thank you... i mean HELL NO

Hendo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:04 AM
hexrae

He turns 38 in December, but since when has age mattered to Detroit Personally I'd take him as his presence will remind me of all those cups.

Anyways, they aren't above taking a risk (see Bertuzzi) so why not? Maybe he'll help Datsyuk overcome the playoff bug, assuming he's still around that is.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:07 AM
jacK

Quote:
haha, pretty sure that was HiHD's intent. but you brought the question up in a public forum, so you can't be picky with the replies you get.

to answer your question, i'd have to see how Feds looks next year. if he mails it in w/ CBJ because he's in the last year of his deal and is just waiting to get traded, i don't want that garbage.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:27 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
These are the kind of replies that make people wary of posting their ideas on message boards and is obstructive in creating goodwill in an online community.
Some people might appreciate more 'wariness' when it comes to posting ideas like that one.

Quote:
I can appreciate disagreement and healthy debate but outright 'flaming' is uncalled for.
If that's what you think a 'flame' is I'd highly suggest not reading anything else I'm saying in this reply. It gets rather worse.

Quote:
If you will not add to the thread, please don't put anything. Let's act like adults here.
Ok, here's my honest opinion:

That might be the single worst idea I've heard in the last 12 months regarding the Detroit Red Wings roster. I'd rather have taken Tincan's amazingly horrific Datsyuk for Lapointe trade over bringing Fedorov back. I cannot find, and I mean this, one single redeeming thing for the organization about adding Fedorov back into the Wings lineup when he becomes a UFA. Not one. For example:

-His game has slipped and slipped noticeably over the last 6 months and it's been on a fairly steady decline since the 2002-2003 season, anyway. In a years time I have no idea how bad he'll be.

-The way he left town burned a ton of bridges in the minds of fans. Sure, there are those who on moral principal dislike booing him when he comes to town, but outside of a few staunch supporters there isn't much positive fan traction for Fedorov. Just listen. The only thing which could erase that sort of emotion is a high level of production... and as I just mentioned, I don't see that happening. Maybe if Feds had some kind of 'Donald Trump with Miss USA' type tearful mea culpa and he threw himself on the mercy of the fanbase for his overwhelming greed and stupidity when he left town... maybe that would work, although I doubt he could pull it off. Also, the guy turned down a personal offer from Illitch. Cue the Godfather theme.

-Yzerman and Bowman aren't on the team anymore. People talk about being worried of Bertuzzi's negative impact in a lockerroom... well, let me tell you anything Bert can do pales in comparison to what Fedorov actually did while a Wing. He was a constant distraction both on and off the ice, and even leadership luminaries like Yzerman and Bowman barely sufficed to contain him, and whether they actually contained him is a matter of debate. On a young team with emerging forwards? No freaking way.

Old
03-01-2007, 08:48 AM
GuloGulo

This is not unthinkable. Depends on his health and whether his game tails off to Lang's current level. I could see Fed playing the Late Larionov role on a team.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Angels for Everyone

if we need him why not...

he's still a hell of a player

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:59 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Fedorov has said he isn't sure what he'll do after his contract expires, so retirement may be something he has considered.

I'm also not sure what he'd bring from the trade route as everyone has noticed there's no fire in his belly. (Unless he has an incredible year next year.) He's still a good player with a lot to offer, but he has to want to offer it.

If the Wings (namely Ilitch) wanted to have Feds around so he could finish up his career in a Wing's uniform, it would make more sense to wait until he's an UFA and sign him to a lower value, one year deal. If the Wings are contenders again next year and try to load up at the deadline, they'd be better off using the cap space for reasons other than to have Sergei finish up in Detroit. The trade deadline decision needs to fill the team's hockey needs, not some sentimental desire to cling to the past.

Old
03-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
So we're counting Columbus out of the playoff race next year? With a full year of Hitch and some astute moves in the offseason (along with some good old fashioned luck), I can see Columbus challanging for the 7th/8th seeds next year.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
So we're counting Columbus out of the playoff race next year? With a full year of Hitch and some astute moves in the offseason (along with some good old fashioned luck), I can see Columbus challenging for the 7th/8th seeds next year.
Good point! I think we were all on autopilot. Yup, if they can get the most out of the forwards they have - and they do have some talent upfront - with some moves to bolster their defense, they really should be able to get into the playoffs. Some expected to see them do better this year, but it just didn't happen.

Old
03-01-2007, 01:58 PM
jacK

Quote:
So we're counting Columbus out of the playoff race next year? With a full year of Hitch and some astute moves in the offseason (along with some good old fashioned luck), I can see Columbus challanging for the 7th/8th seeds next year.
people have been expecting them to challenge for the playoffs the last 2 years... i don't think their GM is good enough to make them a contender, even with Hitch in his ear.

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:04 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
So we're counting Columbus out of the playoff race next year?
Yes.

Quote:
With a full year of Hitch and some astute moves in the offseason (along with some good old fashioned luck), I can see Columbus challanging for the 7th/8th seeds next year.
The only ways any other Central team besides Nashville and Detroit makes the playoffs is a) if one of those teams takes a decent step back, b) if the weighted schedule lightens up on in-division games or c) St. Louis and Chicago go Ottawa Sens of the early 90's and start winning barely 20 games a year each.

Coulmbus is 21 points out of the playoffs now, and they'll probably finish 25 or so points out. They were 21 out last year. That's 10+ wins... and where are those wins going to come from? In order to go .500 in division they'd have to beat St. Louis and Chicago as frequently as Detroit and Nashville beat them. Now they've got to be some amount over .500 out of division and if you look at this years' stats the best out of division team in the West (Detroit) is only winning at .647. The second best has a bunch of teams at .600.

It's a lot of ground to make up.

Old
03-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence but I wonder if the CBJ are as close as many have predicted the past year. And luck, we need more than luck. How about a top center, a top four Dman, our players playing with heart and up to their talent level.

On topic, Fedorov has been playing hurt the past two months. His talent level is not the same as it was even two years ago. I do believe he will be a good deadline pickup for some team next year. The difference is he will be the ultimate rental player as not too many teams will be looking to sign him beyond his current contract. If he is going to finish his career anywhere, I'd personally like to see it in Detroit. Even if it's only for two months at the end of next year.

Hopefully the CBJ will make the playoffs next year. If they do, I'm sure Fedorov will be counted on and this won't be an issue. If we don't make the playoffs, you can have Foote too

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Shoalzie

Sergei's ship has sailed...

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Sergei's ship has sailed...
You may be right. He just seems like he might be on his way out. Still skates well,but and is good in the circle(although due to injury he hasn't been taking them of late). I'm afraid he may call it quits sooner than later. Seems to be beat up and tired.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
8snake

Fedorov's ship may have sailed, but Robert Lang's ship all ready docked at Washed- Up Island. I'd take Sergei at 38-39 over this (or any) version of Lang a millions times and twice on Sunday's.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Shoalzie

I hope we don't have to talk about Lang next year...

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:36 PM
aar000n

the problem is the money federov is making. over the last two years his numbers dont justfiy the amount he is making kinda like lapoint.(sp) and why he wasnt moved

2005-06 g 12 ass 31
2006-07 g 16 ass 21 Salery $6,080,000 yr
Maybee year after next when he wont command that much the wings can sigh him?

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
people have been expecting them to challenge for the playoffs the last 2 years... i don't think their GM is good enough to make them a contender, even with Hitch in his ear.
That was the 1st right step they made, now they have to build on it. They and the Hawks will make some noise next season. I think the both teams will challenge for the playoffs spot next season and one of them might make it. This is assuming that they do not make some terrible moves after this season. Both teams are just one good move away from making some noise.
Havlat needs help, that's obvious and if the Hawks address this, then they woudl be doing right.
We will see some exciting game from those 2 teams next season.

As for Fedorov, I think he makes way too much even to consider bringing him. His 6M is away too much to absorb.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:57 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
First of all Evgeni, I hope you don't think we're all a bunch of total jerks...and if you do, I humbly apologize.

Second, my question on bringing him back is this: Will he want to come back? He didn't exactly leave on the best of terms.

kira is offline   Reply With Quote