HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Anyone Else Tired....

Old
03-01-2007, 12:48 AM
JMoss4Life

vCash: 500
Anyone Else Tired....

of all this Ryan Smyth stuff, i liked the guy as much as anyone else, but to sit here blame him, blame kevin lowe, blame mac t, blame his agent, hell some ppl prob blame joey moss..the fact is he is gone and chances are he probably isnt coming back...someone who shed that many tears saying good bye looks obviously hurt by this and will get his 6 mill(which he aint worth) from some team in the off season...its the oilers job now to maybe (prob not) make the playoffs and then see what happens. Come summer see who we can land for that price and then see what kinda team we got next year....our team isnt going to crash and burn cause we traded away one player....oilers are sill number one with or without ryan smyth

JMoss4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:52 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoss4Life View Post
oilers are sill number one with or without ryan smyth
No we are not. We're in the range of 14-18 in most years, some worse, for the last 17 years.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:57 AM
vbet*

What do you do. We have cash to sign a puck moving defenseman now and I'm expecting Stoll to take over the team next year.

No more free rides from the guys expecting Ryan to score that big goal now. We have tons of prospects and 3 first rounders that I'm hoping that they use to get Alzner or at least Petrecki.

I pretty much don't care if we get Ryan back in July anymore. A 5 year deal just doesn't fly with me anymore.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:05 AM
TheGreatone94

Im not tired of this Smyth stuff, as it is a big deal. As big as the Gretzky and Messier deals, if not bigger. He is an oiler icon and will be missed DEARLY, as he was the other night. If we dont see Smytty come October 07, this team really needs to shape a new identity. Skill can be easily replaced, but what about all the other stuff that he brought with his skill? This guy generated lots of revenue for this team, brought in tons of fans and did a lot for the city. Even if no one else wanted to play here, we always knew we had Smytty. To show his impact on a franchise, the Isles sold 500 minipacks yesterday alone. This guy brings in fans. For what he meant to this franchise and the city, this was a huge deal, a HUGE blow to our image. Lets just hope we can pick up the pieces, maybe resign him, and win some hockey games.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

A name that I totally forgot about that could be number 1 on K-Lowe's hit list this summer as far as replacing his offense goes....Paul Karyia. That would soften this blow! Karyia would probably only command 5 mil a year on the open market(I think), has just as much experience, a lot of leadership, and would be a lot better fit with Lupul. On a different note, I was getting VERY sick of it last night, so I flipped it over to the NFL Network to watch some of the combine from this past weekend. There was one problem......the guy that was working out at that time? DB Ryan Smith.....that's about how it's gone for me the last 2 days!

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Raoul Duke*

Give it at least a day for each year the guy was on a team and the pain subside for most.

Two weeks from now he'll just be a NY Islander that people want to sign in the offseason. Tomorrow will be a lot of hurt for people here when they see him in an Islanders jersey.

For me though - I didn't even like Smyth, and it's still weird to realize he's gone. Let alone the countless die hard fans of his. I got over it in about 1 period last night once the strangeness of Smyth not playing for the Oilers wore off.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:18 AM
t0mf00lery

Yeah, to be honest in a way you'd wonder how Smyth really got to be such a popular player with the casual fans seeing that for a lot of his career he was a pretty mediocre to better-than-average player. I guess it must be the longevity factor.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
A name that I totally forgot about that could be number 1 on K-Lowe's hit list this summer as far as replacing his offense goes....Paul Karyia. That would soften this blow! Karyia would probably only command 5 mil a year on the open market(I think), has just as much experience, a lot of leadership, and would be a lot better fit with Lupul. On a different note, I was getting VERY sick of it last night, so I flipped it over to the NFL Network to watch some of the combine from this past weekend. There was one problem......the guy that was working out at that time? DB Ryan Smith.....that's about how it's gone for me the last 2 days!
lol...that's really funny! I feel your pain.

I like Paul Kariya, but I'd rather have Smyth over him any day of the week.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:36 AM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
No we are not. We're in the range of 14-18 in most years, some worse, for the last 17 years.
If you hate the oil so much noone here will miss your complaining... move on its sports its the reality of sports.

Yes Im tired of it and it will die down but if Nilsson and Schremp keep it up we will have to live with the phoenix which is BBO!

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:27 AM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
Another problem which I don't think many have considered is how much offense we lost. Not only did we lose Smyth's offense, but watch and see Horcoff dry up, Hemsky will slow down. I really don't even expect to see a goal against the Wild tonight. I hope they win but my expectations aree really low right now.

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:31 AM
JonQuixote

Toby Peterson got a free ride the past couple days. It ends now.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
Another problem which I don't think many have considered is how much offense we lost. Not only did we lose Smyth's offense, but watch and see Horcoff dry up, Hemsky will slow down. I really don't even expect to see a goal against the Wild tonight. I hope they win but my expectations aree really low right now.
Then the boys better pick up their socks. I seem to remember us doing okay without Smyth earlier this year.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:40 AM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbet View Post
Then the boys better pick up their socks. I seem to remember us doing okay without Smyth earlier this year.

But Stoll was in the lineup then.

OilRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:06 PM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
i love all the Smyth crap... it keeps me bussy at work

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
serum114

Quote:
Granted, that's where we are with him too

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:20 PM
oilflash

Frankly, I'm tired of feeling like a second class fan. My favourite player leaves and I'm not happy. If they fired just one under-performing assistant coach or the front office took a pay cut, Smyth could have stayed. I might just be a bandwagon fan but I know when we've lost our only Rock Star.

oilflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
BeingAndNothingnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoss4Life View Post
of all this Ryan Smyth stuff, i liked the guy as much as anyone else, but to sit here blame him, blame kevin lowe, blame mac t, blame his agent, hell some ppl prob blame joey moss..the fact is he is gone and chances are he probably isnt coming back...someone who shed that many tears saying good bye looks obviously hurt by this and will get his 6 mill(which he aint worth) from some team in the off season...its the oilers job now to maybe (prob not) make the playoffs and then see what happens. Come summer see who we can land for that price and then see what kinda team we got next year....our team isnt going to crash and burn cause we traded away one player....oilers are sill number one with or without ryan smyth
The team just lost its franchise player! For some individuals, the Oilers are their passion, their reason for living. For some of the same and others, Smyth is their favourite player, their idol, their hero. You should be understanding enough to allow for the venting. Just ignore the posts if you don't like them or step away from an Oilers forum until it cools down.

Besides, it's not like the Oilers are giving us much else to talk about

Quote:
Is it not personal perception that matters? If someone can view the team as #1, I envy them. To defy 'rationality' with things that don't matter at an objecctive level allows for the enjoyment of life.

I also doubt he meant that literally (as in talent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck View Post
If you hate the oil so much noone here will miss your complaining... move on its sports its the reality of sports.
Maybe I'm missing the historical context, but all he did was state an accurate statistic. In terms of standings, that's where Edmonton has been. Should cynics or 'realists' be banned from following sports?

BeingAndNothingnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
vb

I look forward to the day when there are no new Ryan Smyth threads. This is amazing how the event has transformed the player.

I'm glad to see the Isles fans so excited though, it's nice to see them have such hope and optimism for the near future and I'll be cheering for them.

I just hope that when Smyth tries that between the legs back pass in his own zone, they see him for what he is and don't look beyond critical mistakes like that.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Waterboy

You know what...I am tired. I'm tired of feeling betrayed by my team for packing it in, I'm tired of feeling like we have reverted back to the pre-CBA days where we can't afford to keep our talent and I'm tired of all the speculation. I'm really tired of the blame game now too.

The $100,000 figure could be Meehan trying to save his ass for a bad call. It could be true. It could be media speculation that has taken off. Smyth may have an under the table agreement to comeback this summer, maybe he doesn't.

I would love to have him back but I'm not going to worry about it anymore. In fact, this will be my last post about the trade (I'm not giving up on "the Plan" that Lowe and Ownership keep spewing...because I can't figure out what the hell it is. Spend tons of cash one year, unload the next...seems kind of confused).

Smytty set a number he felt he deserved (wether you agree with it or not) and Lowe had his number that he wasn't willing to budge from (again...wether you agree with it or not). Just like with CFP...we're never likely to know the true story and I'm done with the speculation.

So...about this "plan"...

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:28 PM
JMoss4Life

this whole situation is worse then 911...everytime i flip to tsn or sportsnet is about smytty...and on here...the towers arnt coming back up so lets just think bout our oil now...lets go hemmer!

JMoss4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Captain Pilsner

regardless of what any average fan thinks, none of us know enough about the situation to judge who blew it. I think it was each side misjudging the other and i think amount of years were more important than dollars.

I know everyone from the media to this board to your friends is gonna be talking about this for a year but ITS NOT GONNA CHANGE ANYTHING

Lets just blame Meehan cause he's an ass anyways and the one inbetween lowe and smytty, now lets begin to move on.

we DO need a new identity, thats what they have to find, so evident on tuesday night. Teams that you can look at and say they are good at something particular succeed, look at the teams at the bottom and tell me what they are good at, nothing, no identity to build around.

Now is the perfect time to pick a competitive advantage and focus on it

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingAndNothingnes View Post
The team just lost its franchise player! For some individuals, the Oilers are their passion, their reason for living. For some of the same and others, Smyth is their favourite player, their idol, their hero. You should be understanding enough to allow for the venting. Just ignore the posts if you don't like them or step away from an Oilers forum until it cools down.

Besides, it's not like the Oilers are giving us much else to talk about

Is it not personal perception that matters? If someone can view the team as #1, I envy them. To defy 'rationality' with things that don't matter at an objecctive level allows for the enjoyment of life.

I also doubt he meant that literally (as in talent)

Maybe I'm missing the historical context, but all he did was state an accurate statistic. In terms of standings, that's where Edmonton has been. Should cynics or 'realists' be banned from following sports?
The question was Anyone else tired of..... well I just stated what I was tired of go check how many threads he has started and how many posts enough already we get the picture

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Oilerdiehard

I'm just trying to start to focus on getting these kids we have on the team playing. I am excited at the thought of having Stoll and Moreau finally back in the line up. I am just going to try and have some fun for the rest of year. I have already had enough frustration and depression over this year with not making the playoffs etc... I am trying to move. It is hard Smytty was a huge part of things but dwelling on it and playing it over and over is just too depressing.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
jcoldwell

I am not a big Smyth fan and never will be. Always thought of Ryan being over rated. If he was the 'team' he would have lead us to at least 1 cup but all he could do with the help of Roloson, Peca, Spacek and Pronger was lose in the Finals.

To me Ryan Smyth doesn't warrant anything over $4.5M/yr. Granted, he will get his asking price come July 1st as teams will have a bidding war with him.

Ryan won't be back back come October, so please let's just move on and look forward to next season.

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote