HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey - Who made the call?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 02:10 PM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Gainey - Who made the call?

Now that some of us are thinking this team has turned a corner, should we speculate on how Gainey might have first been seriously considered to take over as GM this past summer?

Do you think Savard initiated the process? Were the lines of communication open for a while? Did Gillette tell Savard he wanted to go in a different direction with the front office?

Inside info would be nice, but otherwise, thoughts anyone?

Old
12-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Habs4ever

Well Savard really wasn't making anything happen other then avoiding big risk trade!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Now that some of us are thinking this team has turned a corner, should we speculate on how Gainey might have first been seriously considered to take over as GM this past summer?

Do you think Savard initiated the process? Were the lines of communication open for a while? Did Gillette tell Savard he wanted to go in a different direction with the front office?

Inside info would be nice, but otherwise, thoughts anyone?

And other then his drafting skills he wasn't confortable being on top position, and was getting burned for his over payment on some players and of course signing of Mckay, and trade of Chow that didn't work out in all he was going to be target this year like houle if nothing major came about, bringing BG meant now they have more flexibility and more time before they make any major move, most importantly as you know we haven't been forced make any moves so far because our GM is new and as they say he needs more time to evaluate players, which is good as we have been blessed with great young talent so far coming out from recent drafts.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
FisherKing

Interesting question to ponder, actually, although perhaps moot at this point. Like anyone else, I can only speculate and surmise, and make a few basic assumptions. My first basic assumption is that George Gillette didn't get the money he has by being a stupid man, and although he may be a newbie of sorts to hockey, it became pretty clear to most observers that contract negotiating wasn't one of Savard's strong suits. So, I expect that GG saw that Savard was struggling with this and other aspects of being a GM and approached Savard and they discussed it. I suspect that Savard was probably more relieved than disappointed to have the monkey taken off his shoulders. I also suspect that Savard was probably the one who suggested Gainey. This of course is all pure speculation without one shred of proof to back it up, so all you who insist on "sources" and "links", don't bother asking, there aren't any.

Cheers.

Closed Thread