HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke's Diary

Old
03-02-2007, 08:57 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Easy statement to make because it is only an OPINION. There is no facts to back up your simplistic view.

Gainey didn't wheel and deal, throw away the farm therefore he has no plan and is lazy. Please.
Right, it's my opinion. Hard to argue that this team is getting worse, not better.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Ok...let me get this straight:

Brian Burke had:

1) no 1st rounder at the time of the trade.
2) no desire to surrender a prospect.
3) in all likelihood given a good impression to the other 29 general managers that he would not give much in an effort to aquire a veteran player for his roster.

What's the point of talking to him then?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

have i mentioned my new found disdain for brian burke... what a big mouth... spends too much time trying to be the next don cherry... i wouldnt' be surprised if he turns into the next don cherry.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 04:41 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post

Sunday, Feb. 25

"Craig Rivet is traded to San Jose by Montreal, and I call and whine to Gainey about not calling me back and telling me he was available. He tells me that I was late to that party, and he had been talking to Doug Wilson for three weeks. Fair enough"
If Brian "Crybaby" Burke wanted to be apprised of all transactions Bob was going to make so he could weigh in, why didn't he call Bob to see if he was interested in Shane O'Brien in a package for Souray or Rivet? The real reason is that he probably wanted Rivet or Souray on the cheap and expected Bob to hand them over on his terms.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
The real reason is that he probably wanted Rivet or Souray on the cheap and expected Bob to hand them over on his terms.
How could you know what Burke was willing to offer UNLESS you actually listened to Burkes offer (returned his call).It seems only like the reasonable thing to do(which wasnt done) espically as you already made the decesion(weeks prior) you were dealing Rivet

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Ok...let me get this straight:

Brian Burke had:

1) no 1st rounder at the time of the trade.
2) no desire to surrender a prospect.
3) in all likelihood given a good impression to the other 29 general managers that he would not give much in an effort to aquire a veteran player for his roster.

What's the point of talking to him then?
Burke had a 1st rounder at the time of the trade. He had just trade O'Brien for a 1st and something else?

I would take O'Brien + 3rd/4th over Gorges + 1st.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:54 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
How could you know what Burke was willing to offer UNLESS you actually listened to Burkes offer (returned his call).It seems only like the reasonable thing to do(which wasnt done) espically as you already made the decesion(weeks prior) you were dealing Rivet

Burke told the papers that he didn't want to trade any players or prospects and we needed a yound dman more than a 3rd round pick.

Are you saying Burke lied to the media?

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Burke told the papers that he didn't want to trade any players or prospects and we needed a yound dman more than a 3rd round pick.

Are you saying Burke lied to the media?
Well he gave up Shane O'Brien who is young rugged Defensemen (12 fights this year in the NHL )and 15 pts and we could have had him in exchange for Rivet IMHO

Im saying Shane O'Brien would have been a better fit on our blue line .(nothing against Georges) But O'Brien is 6-2 240 lbs and that is what we would have got from the Ducks . No the Ducks didnt have a first rounder(at the time) but Shane O'Brien and a 3rd round pick in exchange for Rivet would have been just as good .

Instead we recieved another 190 lbs unsized defensemen in Georges .

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...=nhl-lightning

Assets Is an impressive specimen who uses his size effectively. Can intimidate the opposition. Owns underrated offensive ability.

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-02-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:56 PM
rick1042

While I respect the work of Brian Burke as a GM, what he did was very disrespectfull to the rest of the league. Unless a deal is announced, all discussions between GM's should remain confidential. Burke doesn'nt seem to realize that he is dealing with other peoples careers.

Hopefuly, Gary Betman will do something about this, although I doubt it.

rick1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
turnbuckle*

Ray Ferraro just noted during the intermission of the Pitt game that Burke told him he made his move in August when he signed Burke, and that he wasn't interested in mortgaging the future at the trade deadline.

As was earlier noted, Burke talks out of both sides of his mouth to suit the occasion. Bear in mind that he's a lawyer underneath the cloak.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote