HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke Trade Deadline Diary

Old
03-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Brian Burke Trade Deadline Diary

This is probably one of the more interesting things I've read in a while:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ke-diary_x.htm

It really gives you some insight into how these deals work.

03-01-2007, 02:42 AM
PunjabiOil*

Nice link.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:03 AM
coolwasabi

Great read!
Burke is not afraid to keep secrets is he?

Of relating to Smyth:

Quote:
Tkachuk is finally traded to Atlanta for Glen Metropolit and first-, second- and third-round picks, plus another first-rounder if the Thrashers re-sign him. Davidson and GM Larry Pleau hit it out of the park on that one.
Oilers GM Kevin Lowe thinks he could have trouble re-signing Ryan Smyth. Would I be interested? He said he would want a "Tkachuk style package." I say we can't do it."

coolwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:13 AM
Chayos

This just goes to show you Lowe was out there working the phones on the Smyth thing.

Finally puts to bed the belief that they panicked and dumped Smyth.

I really think Lowe got what he wanted for Smyth.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Magnus

After reading that, and remembering the Joe Thorton deal last year, it seems like its not uncommon for GMs to make trades without disclosing to all teams that said player is available. We should remember that whenever we feel like someone has missed out on a deal.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:34 AM
alanschu

The funny thing is that Lowe took tons of criticism for that.

From what I understand, Lowe approached teams that had the assets he was looking for.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Very interesting read indeed, I love Burke, he speaks his mind and doesn't back off.

OT - but listening to Mike Brophy earlier on Sporstnet I'm not surprised at his comments, I never know why Sportsnet has him there at all, most of the time he just bashes and bashes the Oilers to no end. I don't like like what Lowe did but calling the trade similar to Joe Thornton's trade to San Jose is insane, when did Lowe trade for 3 players close to being UFA?

On a funny note, did anyone read Jay Onrait's Trade Deadline blog?

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
Great read!
Burke is not afraid to keep secrets is he?

Of relating to Smyth:
If you'll notice, every deal he give info on was, in the end, a deal that was consumated and is in the public domain. I seriously doubt if he'd give info on players or deals that GMs where just "potential" trades.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:14 AM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
This is probably one of the more interesting things I've read in a while:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ke-diary_x.htm

It really gives you some insight into how these deals work.
Cerebral, thanks so much for sharing that article. Really terrific read. My favourite part, at the end, where he talks about being happy at acquiring Brad May, who he calls "a real character guy with a sunny disposition." Classic.

Sad reading how Lowe came to him because he "anticipated trouble re-signing Smyth." In 20-20 hindsight, knowing how it turned out, that's really dreadful to read

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
QScout

Great read. Thanks for the link Cerebral.
I didn't think that a team could be interested by that much players. Burke seemed to have shop for almost everything available on the market. Not a single day where he wasn't on the phone.

QScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Great read.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:08 AM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Shows that KLowe should have been prepared ahead of time to trade Skykora too IMO. I don't care to see him for the next couple months on the Oilers because he won't do anything for us. The Flames/Wild game last night may have been the nail in the coffin. We are just too far out with a less than good enough team.

If you trade our best UFA you may as well trade the others as well...

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Shows that KLowe should have been prepared ahead of time to trade Skykora too IMO. I don't care to see him for the next couple months on the Oilers because he won't do anything for us. The Flames/Wild game last night may have been the nail in the coffin. We are just too far out with a less than good enough team.

Who says he didn't? As another poster noted - all of the names listed were of guys who were eventually traded - there are few names of players who were "potentially" to be traded and didn't. The only one I spot is Stuart and Salo - and Salo was down as a player that Vancouver wanted to re-sign.

I'm suspecting that the diary was carefully edited.

Still a very interesting read in any case.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
WHAfanatic

Quote:

I agree with this. Sykora is just taking up valuable development minutes for Shremp, Brodziak, etc. now.

Similarly, why didn't he move Winchester for a draft pick since MacT won't play him anyway?

Later in the year they may as well call up Dubnyk and give him some NHL games, too.

If we're selling then we're selling. No point in doing it half-ass.

WHAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:07 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:

Because you didn't see Sykora's name in a blog written by Brian Burke concerning Ducks-related deals, you somehow deduce that Lowe made no effort to shop him to anyone? You want to explain your logic in that?

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83 View Post
On a funny note, did anyone read Jay Onrait's Trade Deadline blog?
I love Jay Onrait. As far as I'm concerned, he's one of the best sports writers in the business.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:09 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAfanatic View Post
I agree with this. Sykora is just taking up valuable development minutes for Shremp, Brodziak, etc. now.

Similarly, why didn't he move Winchester for a draft pick since MacT won't play him anyway?

Later in the year they may as well call up Dubnyk and give him some NHL games, too.

If we're selling then we're selling. No point in doing it half-ass.

I think it was reported that Winchester was on the block. There has to be another party interested in acquirnig a player for a deal to work.

Markannen, I would have liked to have seen traded, but essentially the same deal.

Edit: Also re: Sykora, I would be happy to see him re-sign for a couple of years, but not at his current salary.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Mizral

Very interesting stuff here.

Glen Sather & Bob Gainey weren't sure they were sellers. How can you not have made a decision by the deadline? They should both be fired in the off-season.

I always liked Burke's pure asset management as a GM, and it shows by not giving up any of his younger players. I think he recognizes that the young players on the Ducks are actually even better than the veterans possibly.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Thanks for sharing, C.

Burke is one of the top GM's in the game. This is a great way to provide a small bit of insight and some yuks into how the trade process works. He is straight shooter, smart, and lurking beneath the scowl is a wicked sense of humour. The May line is classic.

Great to see these sorts of innovations happening.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Nice read.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
WHAfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
I think it was reported that Winchester was on the block. There has to be another party interested in acquirnig a player for a deal to work.

Markannen, I would have liked to have seen traded, but essentially the same deal.

Edit: Also re: Sykora, I would be happy to see him re-sign for a couple of years, but not at his current salary.
I'm sure there would be at least one team out of 29 that would throw a draft pick out for Winchester. Same with Sykora. My point is that draft pick (whatever it ends up being) + the roster spot opened up for prospects that can benefit from NHL exposure = a good deal for either 1) a utility forward that isn't played by our coach or 2) an UFA.

Lowe said he had made inquiries with some teams before the deadline about moving Smyth - he implies it was a contingency plan. This makes perfect sense to me but it leaves me wondering why he didn't also do that with Sykora. What point is there on keeping Sykora for another 20 games even if all he can get is a low draft pick for him? I'd be happy signing Sykora again at a lower price tag, too. Does trading him for a draft pick now change that? He'll be a UFA so we have as much chance as anyone else come July 1st. May as well have gotten a draft pick for him if the season is in the tank.

As for Winchester, yeah, there has to be an interested party. However, I can't believe that there wasn't some interest somewhere. Much more likely is that Lowe over-valued Winchester to the point of not getting a deal done. They better start playing him if they want to increase his value. Are they going to get any more for him in the off-season than at the trade deadline? Not if he doesn't play. Frankly, the Oilers are kinda screwing him now (unless they start playing him again).

WHAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Lessy

That was a good read, I'm glad Lowe got what he did instead of pursuing a Tkachuk like return as his asking price indicated here.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:40 PM
koeltrain

vCash: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Because you didn't see Sykora's name in a blog written by Brian Burke concerning Ducks-related deals, you somehow deduce that Lowe made no effort to shop him to anyone? You want to explain your logic in that?
It's more to the tune of Burke was trying to set up trades all Feb. As a fan, who knows what goes on behind the scenes (just like who knows if there would have been any takers for Sykora). The media seemed to think Lowe just didn't have enough time to get his selling in, but I guess we all know the media is USUALLY full of ****. Basically, through this blog I just figured he could have shopped Sykora for a lot longer and got something done.... SOMETHING! I'm sure Sather would have done a low draft pick to maybe give the Czech's a spark in the big apple. You gotta believe if some of the players went for what the did, that he could have gotten a deal done... after all that is his job. Or send Jussi to Buffalo (why did they get Conknuts?) for a pick.

I'm a KLowe supporter, so for me to harsh out on him a little it shows that I am obviously a little disappointed.

P.S. I guess it's time to change my avatar when I get home from work.

Last edited by koeltrain: 03-01-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: P.S.
koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Oilerdiehard

Thanks so much for posting that link!

I wish Lowe would do something like that, it is so candid and would let us know he really was out there working things. I appreciate Burke putting it in there about Smyth, that should quiet down the jump that he did not call around to try and get the best deal if things went sour. It is interesting that Burke may have lost a couple deals by having no 1st rounder

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
Very interesting stuff here.

Glen Sather & Bob Gainey weren't sure they were sellers. How can you not have made a decision by the deadline? They should both be fired in the off-season.

I always liked Burke's pure asset management as a GM, and it shows by not giving up any of his younger players. I think he recognizes that the young players on the Ducks are actually even better than the veterans possibly.
You have to be kidding me? Jay, you for a long time surprised me with insights that many people didn't have. I think you jumped off the Tommy Salo bandwagon and said Ty Conklin sucks long before anyone else.

You have come on to HF Boards and said to a team that finished in 8th last year and went to the finals that the GMs of Montreal and NYR should be fired for not selling when they are in the playoff hunt.

Unless you feel it ok to give up early and say "Ah, we might make the playoffs, we might not...who cares...sell anyway."

This might be the most mysterious thing you have said on HF Boards.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote