HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another Rich Winter Comment

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Another Rich Winter Comment

This in from Rich Winter:

"In light of the scandalist actions of others, I have been instructed to make no more comments."

Hey you guys offered to pay money to make a deal happen - just because the number isn't what you wanted doesn't mean you can now cry about it. Lowe is playing hardball and hasn't made any moves that can be clasified unethical. Just because you aren't getting what you want doesn't mean you have to pout publicly. IMO if Lowe had the freedom to make a deal to other teams Comrie could be playing tomorrow. The problem is he is limited to Anaheim and they are offering nothing for something. As much as prospects are nice to collect - their is a high chance they will never turn out to be equal to Comrie. We are talking about a 30-30 man at worst. If Comrie is so insistent on playing hockey take the trade to the Islanders and let both sides be happy. Another Lindross in midget size is all Comrie is. Once again - Mike you made your bed, go ahead and wet it.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:24 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher

"In light of the scandalous actions of others, I have been instructed to make no more comments."
For some reason he's sounding a lot like Geraldo Rivera to me... for whatever that's worth.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:39 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Hey you guys offered to pay money to make a deal happen - just because the number isn't what you wanted doesn't mean you can now cry about it.
Has anybody seen it reported in print that the idea of paying to get out of town originated with Winter? I heard that Lowe said this on the news yesterday, but I haven't read it anywhere, and I'd have thought this would have been widely reported.

Old
12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Has anybody seen it reported in print that the idea of paying to get out of town originated with Winter? I heard that Lowe said this on the news yesterday, but I haven't read it anywhere, and I'd have thought this would have been widely reported.
I thought so too, but that theory hasn't really taken off yet, so who knows?

Old
12-11-2003, 03:39 PM
FacelessButcher

Does this incident pretty much put a freeze on all Comrie negotiations? Sounds like Winter and Comrie are distancing themselves from Lowe and with Comrie now willing to play in the Spengler cup sounds like a heck of a wait we might have on our hands. Possibly even legal action

Old
12-11-2003, 03:47 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:

"In light of the scandalist actions of others, I have been instructed to make no more comments."

Didn't Winter promise to keep his mouth shut about the negotiations this summer? We know how long that lasted. I don't believe a word out of his mouth anymore.

Old
12-11-2003, 03:55 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
... Possibly even legal action
I wouldn't worry about that. You can't sue somebody for hurting your feelings.

Old
12-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Quote:
The problem is he is limited to Anaheim and they are offering nothing for something. As much as prospects are nice to collect - their is a high chance they will never turn out to be equal to Comrie.
I wouldn't say the Ducks are offering "nothing." A top prospect(Perry)and a first round pick I would say is quite "something." Is it equal value for Comrie? Probably not. But is it fair value compared to what other teams are probably offering? I say so. You have to figure, if all those GMs passed up a talented guy like Zach Parise at the draft, how many of those GMs are willing to trade a blue chipper like Lupul(6'1) or Chistov(5'11) for Comrie(5'9)?

Old
12-11-2003, 03:59 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc
I wouldn't say the Ducks are offering "nothing." A top prospect(Perry)and a first round pick I would say is quite "something." Is it equal value for Comrie? Probably not. But is it fair value compared to what other teams are probably offering? I say so. You have to figure, if all those GMs passed up a talented guy like Zach Parise at the draft, how many of those GMs are willing to trade a blue chipper like Lupul(6'1) or Chistov(5'11) for Comrie(5'9)?
The difference between Parise and Comrie, is that Comrie has proven that he can suceed in the NHL despite his size.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:05 PM
theoil

[QUOTE=Walsher]This in from Rich Winter:

What I want to know is instructed by whom. Mikey, Goodenow? Who has the right to instruct Winter and actually have him listen? If the instruction came from Goodenow what a can of worms.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Oilhitch

[QUOTE=theoil]
Quote:

What I want to know is instructed by whom. Mikey, Goodenow? Who has the right to instruct Winter and actually have him listen? If the instruction came from Goodenow what a can of worms.

Has it been stated where or who this story was leaked? I have been under the impression that Winter was the one who originally leaked this info to the media

Old
12-11-2003, 06:40 PM
Allan

It was in Robin Brownlee's column in the Sun, and then later that day it started showing up on TSN, Sportsnet, and everywhere else. It sure sounded like Winter leaked it, since the article was very critical of Lowe, and matched what Winter has since said himself.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:59 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Has it been stated where or who this story was leaked? I have been under the impression that Winter was the one who originally leaked this info to the media
Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I am curious who told Winters not to say anything more. He says 'I have been instructed' . Who is instructing him? Has Mikey finally had enough and told Winters to tone it down. Has Goodenow been on the blower to Winters and told him to stop making an ass of himself and his player and the NHLPA and the league itself?

Just exactly who would Winters listen to and say he has been told to shut his yap?

Old
12-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I am curious who told Winters not to say anything more. He says 'I have been instructed' . Who is instructing him? Has Mikey finally had enough and told Winters to tone it down. Has Goodenow been on the blower to Winters and told him to stop making an ass of himself and his player and the NHLPA and the league itself?

Just exactly who would Winters listen to and say he has been told to shut his yap?
He never said. I am assuming it was Comrie. Goodenow stated that the PA was monitoring the situation but there is no need for him to enter the situation because his member (Comrie) has not been wronged in any way. Comrie I think realizes Lowe one upped him and he told Winter to keep his mouth shut. My opinion only but that seems to be logical.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Scorpion88

For some reason, whether is was on TV or on a thread here, I seem to remember someone stating that his lawyer instructed this to Winter. Now I thought that was strange as I thought most agents were lawyers, however if Winter is looking into filing a lawsuit against Lowe and the Oilers, his lawyer would have probably instructed this of him.

Just a thought!

Old
12-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
For some reason, whether is was on TV or on a thread here, I seem to remember someone stating that his lawyer instructed this to Winter. Now I thought that was strange as I thought most agents were lawyers, however if Winter is looking into filing a lawsuit against Lowe and the Oilers, his lawyer would have probably instructed this of him.

Just a thought!
There is no way their could possibly be a lawsuit. Winter and Comrie were the ones that suggested making a payment to sweeten the pot. Just because the number is not what they expected doesn't give him any leverage in a lawsuit. In any case this whole situation is becoming quit confusing and it is difficult to determine what is and isn't believable.

Old
12-12-2003, 04:50 AM
Oilhitch

This whole situation is ridiculous, and I for one cant wait until it is over.

However I wonder how some other players in the NHL feel? Rich Winter represents many players and I wonder if some of them will seek another agent.

Old
12-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Marconius

Quote:
There is no way their could possibly be a lawsuit. Winter and Comrie were the ones that suggested making a payment to sweeten the pot. Just because the number is not what they expected doesn't give him any leverage in a lawsuit. In any case this whole situation is becoming quit confusing and it is difficult to determine what is and isn't believable.
When did Winter & Comrie agree to sweeten the pot?

Old
12-12-2003, 06:00 AM
Oylerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
Lowe said that in an interview yesterday so either he is lying through his teeth or somehow he was led to believe this by someone. Since Lowe is not known to be a liar, I believe he did in fact understand this to be true.

Old
12-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
This is all I know: Soon after this whole mess started, Lowe did a radio spot on Team 1260 on the Bob Stauffer show, and he said that 'during negotiations' Winter made it known to him that there was a possibility that money could be thrown in from Comrie's end if it was the difference maker for closing the Anaheim deal. So Lowe took him up on it.

I don't know if Winter said it in jest, or thought the amount would be much less...regardless, either Lowe's telling the truth or he's a bold faced liar. I know which one I believe.

It is interesting though to see that neither paper had caught on to this little snippet of information.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:22 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

I don't know if Winter said it in jest, or thought the amount would be much less...regardless, either Lowe's telling the truth or he's a bold faced liar. I know which one I believe.

It is interesting though to see that neither paper had caught on to this little snippet of information.
You think that Brownlee is going to report that??? It seems that he is trying his hardest to promote the Comrie camp. Have you read his article in the Sun today??? Talk about a one-sided point of view.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
You think that Brownlee is going to report that??? It seems that he is trying his hardest to promote the Comrie camp. Have you read his article in the Sun today??? Talk about a one-sided point of view.
I read it. I needed to take a couple of gravol pills after, but I got through it.

Just look at the stances both papers took today...totally predictable.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:33 AM
jadeddog

the thing is about brownlee is that you cant believe one single word that he prints..... he has to be one of the wost "sensational-type" reporters ive seen in a while..... anything to sell some papers

Old
12-12-2003, 07:36 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
the thing is about brownlee is that you cant believe one single word that he prints..... he has to be one of the wost "sensational-type" reporters ive seen in a while..... anything to sell some papers
He still isn't as bad as Brooks in New York...

My god, you would figure with the amount of crap he speculates on he would be right occasionally...

I mean even the sun shines on a dogs butt every now and then.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
He still isn't as bad as Brooks in New York...

My god, you would figure with the amount of crap he speculates on he would be right occasionally...

I mean even the sun shines on a dogs butt every now and then.
And a blind squirrel...

Closed Thread