HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Old
03-01-2007, 07:40 AM
eastcoasteh

vCash: 500
R-e-s-p-e-c-t

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5946

Pretty good writeup about the lack of respect shown to Smytty.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:38 AM
OilerOlli*

I can't understand all the talks about that the Oilers Organization didn't show Smyth enough respect.
They offered him 5,4 mil/year, or what!!!
If that is not enough for Smyth you should rather question the other side...

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:41 AM
eastcoasteh

I question both sides for sure. But if you are gonna pay 5.4 and know it's only going to be 100K more and you can be done with all this, and sign the heart and soul of your team, why not fork it over instead of kicking us fans in the teeth yet again.

He surely could have made up for an overpayment to Smyth by getting rid of one or two inflated contracts.

On top of all this, I don't even like the prospects he got. Nobody is saying much positive about either one of them. Possible 3rd-4th liners..umm...our whole TEAM is 3rd and 4th liners except for a few guys!

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:50 AM
OilerOlli*

How far can you go to overpay?
Imo, 5,4 mil/year was already an overpaiment. You have to set you a maximum where you can go with an offer, as a GM.
But sure, Lowe overpaid other players like Pisani, Lupul or Roloson.
I said it in the summer, those contracts will bite us back. If 3,4 Players gets overpaid, every Player on the team wants to get overpaid...
Still don't get it why 5,4 mil/year isn't enoug for Smyth, when he loves Edmonton so much and all. He also knows that the Oilers don't have the biggest budget in the NHL...
But yeah, it hurts for sure that Smyth is gone know, but imo it was the right decission from Lowe, if they don't get a deal done now, don't risk to let him go for nothing, take the best offer you get, and try perhaps in summer again to resign Smyth.
I like what Lowe gets for him. O'Marra and Nilsson both can be good NHL Players in the future. And a 3rd first Round draft pick is also nice.

Old
03-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
I question both sides for sure. But if you are gonna pay 5.4 and know it's only going to be 100K more and you can be done with all this, and sign the heart and soul of your team, why not fork it over instead of kicking us fans in the teeth yet again.

He surely could have made up for an overpayment to Smyth by getting rid of one or two inflated contracts.

On top of all this, I don't even like the prospects he got. Nobody is saying much positive about either one of them. Possible 3rd-4th liners..umm...our whole TEAM is 3rd and 4th liners except for a few guys!
I find it weird that Lowe would go to 5.4 but not 5.5, but it's probably simply a matter of quid pro quo - Lowe ponied up but Smyth didn't even budge - in my mind that shows a lack of respect by Smyth and/or Meehan of the Oilers' attempt to get a deal done. I'm actually somewhat glad he didn't take 5.4 because I think it's too much, but it's baffling to me that neither party would even consider splitting the rest of the difference. I think we can count on a big start for Smyth with the Isles and there will be more howling and moaning on this board

I don't think Lowe would have had an easy time dealing these "numerous" inflated contracts that you seem to be believe exist - the most notable example would be Pisani - I don't think any teams to trade for a guy who's basically a quality defensive forward at 2.5M (although Lowe did get Peca but he seemed to think Peca could provide top 6 offense then too).

Lastly, TSN really seems to be trashing Nilsson and O'Marra more than is deserved I think. O'Marra's upside looks to be Stoll-like and Nilsson is one of those guys who will probably either be a boom or bust player (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and could provide some much needed offense.

I'm kinda glad he didn't get another defensive prospect/player whose name isn't Pitkanen or Johnson, because we have enough middling defensive prospects - what we need on defense is a top 2 dman soon..

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Doc Scurlock

That guy mentions paying an elite goal scorer $5.7 million? I don't think I'd label Smyth an elite goal scorer considering he's never broken 50 goals nor has he topped 40.

Like it's been said, if you pay Ryan Smyth what he's asking then you're expecting him to probably be your best player. Well, your best player should score more than 70 points if you want a decent shot at the playoffs.

Look at the Oilers over the years with him. The years he did best with the team they had guys who were much better than he was i.e. Pronger, Weight and they had some success. If you're expecting to get anywhere by having Smyth carry your team, well you won't be going far that's for sure.

Lowe screwed up twice with the Horcoff and Pisani contracts, there was no need to screw up a third time just for the hell of it by giving Smyth more than he's worth. Sign Smyth for that money and we're in the same spot where we are right now, no d-men, and out of the playoffs.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post

If Lowe had given him 5.5/yr, Smyth would have wanted 5.6. Had the Oil offered 5.6, he would have wanted 5.7.

03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Murphy

We should just pay every player whatever they want....................

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:57 AM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scurlock View Post
That guy mentions paying an elite goal scorer $5.7 million? I don't think I'd label Smyth an elite goal scorer considering he's never broken 50 goals nor has he topped 40.

Like it's been said, if you pay Ryan Smyth what he's asking then you're expecting him to probably be your best player. Well, your best player should score more than 70 points if you want a decent shot at the playoffs.
53 GP, 31 G, 22 A, 53 PTS. Leads team in points, on a point-a-game pace, would be at 82 points if he hadn't been hurt, yet missed almost a full month with injuries. Anything else you want to point out?

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:00 PM
BleedingOil

Smyth is lucky to get 5. He should have signed this deal. Him getting traded is his agents fault.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Master Lok

Interesting read, thanks eastcoasteh.

My reactions:
1) The premise that because Smyth was underpaid in the past - that he should be compensated in the future is not valid in my opinion. Every team has a cap - and rewarding a 36 year old Smyth with a 5.7 million payment does not make any more sense because he was underpaid when he was younger.

2) Rewarding Loyalty makes sense - but so does giving a hometown discount. In my opinion, after living in an area for 12 years, buying (I'm assuming) a multi-million dollar home, and raising your children in one environment should mean something. Instead, if Ryan becomes a UFA and moves somewhere else next season - you're uprooting your family, and leaving your friends , never mind the financial aspect of trying to buy an equivalent home in a metropolises like New York.

3) I totally 100% agree that Smyth's contract should have been dealt with long time ago.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
oilerfanatic

as good as he is, if ryan smyth is the best player on your team there's something seriously wrong with the team...5.4 was an overpayment to begin with...if smytty wanted to stay here he would have taken it...looks like he didn't want to compromise at all whereas k-lowe went up from 5 to 5.4...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Arcane

He's an elite goal scorer because in the 2 years since the CBA he is 15th in scoring, after playing less games than some on the list.

All you people saying this was the better way are probably bandwagon, i have been watching Smyth since he started playing with the Oilers and i would have given him 5.7 without a doubt.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
53 GP, 31 G, 22 A, 53 PTS. Leads team in points, on a point-a-game pace, would be at 82 points if he hadn't been hurt, yet missed almost a full month with injuries. Anything else you want to point out?
Career year. Has scored 70 points ONCE. Somewhat prone to injury. 55 point player over his career.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Tyrolean

Both sides are responsible for dragging this thing out. Smyth is asking overpayment and Lowe taking his time. I see Symth as the main culprit as a reasonable offer was on the table and he simply didn't accept it. I shed no tears for him at all.

The Oilers could have traded him earlier and got a greater return. Next time decide everything at least 1 week ahead of time. Never do things at the last moment!!

BTW, Smyth is only worth a max of 5.25. Loyalty from a hockey player is a misused word.

Last edited by Tyrolean: 03-01-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromYellowstone View Post
He's an elite goal scorer because in the 2 years since the CBA he is 15th in scoring, after playing less games than some on the list.

All you people saying this was the better way are probably bandwagon, i have been watching Smyth since he started playing with the Oilers and i would have given him 5.7 without a doubt.
Are you a Werder Bremen Fan?

Old
03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
If Lowe had given him 5.5/yr, Smyth would have wanted 5.6. Had the Oil offered 5.6, he would have wanted 5.7.
Exactly. How far did the Oilers move from their origional position to get to 5.4? If Lowe's origional offer was 5.0, he's already moved 400K.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Are you a Werder Bremen Fan?
You bet

Old
03-01-2007, 01:02 PM
OilerOlli*

Wrong team, but I sure hope they are at the end of the season ahead of bayern *g*

Old
03-01-2007, 01:12 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Smyth is lucky to get 5. He should have signed this deal. Him getting traded is his agents fault.
I think Smyth never expected to actually get traded. He probably thought something along the lines: "Fine, we don't agree now, there is still 4 months until July, plenty of time to reach a deal." I think KLowe should have been more clear: "Ryan, we don't reach a deal 24 hours prior to the trade deadline, you WILL be traded." This way he might have put a sense of urgency in Smyth and Meehan, sense of urgency they most certainly didn't have.

Anyway. Smyth is not an Oiler any more, time to move on. Good luck and good bye.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 01:18 PM
hfboardsuser

I closed the window after reading point number two.

We've been more welcoming of Smytty, from the organization down to the fans.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
CallMeWalter

Smyth

r-e-s-p-e-c-t?

How about s-a-l-a-r-y c-a-p?

Things are mighty twisted when an offer of $5.4 million a season is seen in any way shape or form as a lack of respect.

CallMeWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWalter View Post
r-e-s-p-e-c-t?

How about s-a-l-a-r-y c-a-p?

Things are mighty twisted when an offer of $5.4 million a season is seen in any way shape or form as a lack of respect.
The Oilers don't spend anywhere near the cap so that has little to do with anything.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Wrong team, but I sure hope they are at the end of the season ahead of bayern *g*
They will. Bayern has a weak coach, suspect back line and although I am a Podolski fan, he has been invisible this year.

Old
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
I think Smyth never expected to actually get traded. He probably thought something along the lines: "Fine, we don't agree now, there is still 4 months until July, plenty of time to reach a deal." I think KLowe should have been more clear: "Ryan, we don't reach a deal 24 hours prior to the trade deadline, you WILL be traded." This way he might have put a sense of urgency in Smyth and Meehan, sense of urgency they most certainly didn't have.

Anyway. Smyth is not an Oiler any more, time to move on. Good luck and good bye.
Yup. There should have been a deadline.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote