HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Old
03-01-2007, 07:14 PM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
we all love Smyth, better than average but not a great player...look at what he actually does and doesn't do...all his goals are basically within 10 feet of the net and he mucks along the boards and runs a cycle well...thats great, but he doesn't dictate the pace of the game with any great speed, no big hits, no gloves ever drop, can't score from anywhere else in the offensive zone, doesn't set up anyone unless the pass is within 5 -10 feet away...doesn't do any of that but wants to get paid like he does....getting paid in the $4.75M range would have been perfect....but if you want to play hardball, you're gonna get beaned once in a while....
So as a UFA this summer he shouldn't get more than $5 million. Do you believe that?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Marvin

oh, i have no doubt that he'll get close to probably $6M but thats more of an indication of competition for his services and how stupid some teams are to pay...seriously, that kind of money invested in Ryan Smyth will seriously handcuff a team that signs him in salarycap world when he hits age 34-35...if they want to build around a 31 year old player who hasn't won any awards, hasn't scored 50 goals in a season, and his best work is directly in front of the other teams net, they can have him...i love him like anyone else but that money can do much better elsewhere on this team...

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
So as a UFA this summer he shouldn't get more than $5 million. Do you believe that?
Do you think he's going to get 5.5 for 5 years?

It's not just the money, it's the length of the deal that was a backbreaker.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
What star player are you going to get for less than 5.5 million? Even a guy who can ride shotgun?

Kubina got 5 million. McCabe got 5.75. Savard got 5. Richards got 7.8. Redden got 6.5.

Those guys aren't at the top of their positions either.

I'd love to see Kevin Lowe replace Smyth's scoring and leadership for under 5.5 million, because with the prices UFA's command, it's not gonna happen.
Why is it the Oilers can only spend 5.5 on a guy? Just because they didn't pay smyth 5.5 doesn't mean they aren't willing to go to 6, or 7 or the max for an actual star player (as they demonstarted they were willing to do when they offered Chara over 7 mil)

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:00 AM
ThisInsecureMoron

Well, you're all giving me the impression that you don't think he was that special, I thought you guys were in mourning. I guess I was wrong.

As for the response to all the other things he does, I don't know many players getting their teeth knocked out and come back to play a few moments later.

Or the small taps he puts on the goalies shaft of the sticks. The way he goes to the net and his hands around the net. The way he's clutch. I don't know how many overtime-goals he's scored in his days.

Or that he never whines in particular. He just plays. He blocks shots as well, more than any other you mentioned on that list.

Or how about his first game as an Islander now, when he moved the net. He's always aware of his surroundings, that's just a great, fresh and recent example.

And yes, his damn mullet as well, no one has goldie fine ones hanging down their neck like Smyth.

ThisInsecureMoron is offline   Reply With Quote