HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pitt@NYR GDT 03.01.07 7:00 Msg

Old
03-01-2007, 10:53 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Mara made some decent plays...wasn't overly noticeable..which might be a good thing with this team.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:54 PM
nickrOck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
Somehow we would get a goaltender interference call against us.
not for nothing the goaltender interference was a joke..! fleury was half way into the face off circle.. he's fair game out there in my eyes.. if anything he's obstruting the play.. it's not like betts drove to the net and barreled him over in the crease.. how many times did guys go flying over hank tonite.. i can recall atleast twice.. any call on those.? NOPE.!

the shorthanded goals are a major problem right now.. 4 in 3 games is absolutely unacceptable.. our point men constantly get caught flat footed at the blue line, or caught both going to the same side of the ice or even the same player.. the odd man rushes are a joke, some of our forwards backcheck like they're just strolling back, and alot of line changes are done with such a lackadasical manor i'm shocked we don't get hit for more too many men penalties..

BTW it's funny how the 15 fans the pens had for the last 5 or so years has multiplied and they all act like they stuck it out for through the horror show they had..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Sather Hater

Renney has to re-think the Rozsival plus a forward pairing on the point on the powerplay, especially when the team has a lead. I couldn't believe he went right back to Rozsival/Cullen after the first shorthanded goal against.

Rozsival was the cause of both shorthanded goals.

1)He pinched on the first one, and Staal just walked around Cullen for a Breakaway.

2)On the second one Armstrong was behind Rozsival at the redline, he completely stopped skating and let Armstrong go in alone and Lundqvist could not play the puck in the corner (trapezoid) when it bounced over his stick, and Armstrong was able to take his time with the puck and get a shot off which went off the post and off Lundqvist. If Rozsival skates hard back all the way, he would have gotten to the puck in the corner before Armstrong, and that play never happens.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
not for nothing the goaltender interference was a joke..! fleury was half way into the face off circle.. he's fair game out there in my eyes.. if anything he's obstruting the play.. it's not like betts drove to the net and barreled him over in the crease.. how many times did guys go flying over hank tonite.. i can recall atleast twice.. any call on those.? NOPE.!

the shorthanded goals are a major problem right now.. 4 in 3 games is absolutely unacceptable.. our point men constantly get caught flat footed at the blue line, or caught both going to the same side of the ice or even the same player.. the odd man rushes are a joke, some of our forwards backcheck like they're just strolling back, and alot of line changes are done with such a lackadasical manor i'm shocked we don't get hit for more too many men penalties..
The shorthanded goals against, at this point in the season, are a joke. I don't see how people can get so bent out of shape on the call on Betts when the team is giving up shorthanded goals at the rate of 4 in 3 games. That's pathetic. If they gave up 4 in a month I'd be extremely concerned, let alone 4 in a week. And I agree about the risk of too many men on the ice penalties--I didn't notice any close calls because I didn't see the entire game, but I think some Pens fans said the Rangers could have been called for one or two bench minors. I'm not saying they're exactly right, but it wouldn't surprise me with this team.

NYR94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
Renney has to re-think the Rozsival plus a forward pairing on the point on the powerplay, especially when the team has a lead. I couldn't believe he went right back to Rozsival/Cullen after the first shorthanded goal against.

1)He pinched on the first one, and Staal just walked around Cullen for a Breakaway.

2)On the second one Armstrong was behind Rozsival at the redline, he completely stopped skating and let Armstrong go in alone and when the puck bounced over Lundqvist's stick he could not play it in the corner (trapezoid).
Good call. Why not put Mara out there with Rosie?

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
nickrOck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
Good call. Why not put Mara out there with Rosie?
why is rosival on the point at all lately, his play has been beyond questionable with the puck.. he seems so unsure of himself it's mind numbing to watch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
The shorthanded goals against, at this point in the season, are a joke. I don't see how people can get so bent out of shape on the call on Betts when the team is giving up shorthanded goals at the rate of 4 in 3 games. That's pathetic. If they gave up 4 in a month I'd be extremely concerned, let alone 4 in a week.
the shorthanded goals are sickening.. it seems they all occur the same way someone getting caught pinching at the wrong time, or being flatfooted to they point they look stuck in cement..

i get bent outta shape on the call on betts because the contact occured outside the crease.. MAF should be fair game if he wants to come out that far, let alone it was'nt like betts was gunning for him, it was just one of those play.. it's completely something to get pissed about when henrik has been slammed, battered and hammered all season long with almost no calls at all in our favor..

nickrOck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:19 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
i get bent outta shape on the call on betts because the contact occured outside the crease.. MAF should be fair game if he wants to come out that far, let alone it was'nt like betts was gunning for him, it was just one of those play.. it's completely something to get pissed about when henrik has been slammed, battered and hammered all season long with almost no calls at all in our favor..
What was Rosen and Micheletti saying?

It looked like Avery was arguing it during the tv time out and he was waving his arms like 'he was all the way out' and the ref just kept shaking his head as if it didnt matter 'you cant touch him, period.'

03-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
What was Rosen and Micheletti saying?

It looked like Avery was arguing it during the tv time out and he was waving his arms like 'he was all the way out' and the ref just kept shaking his head as if it didnt matter 'you cant touch him, period.'
They were livid...both agreed it was a terrible call..."Very very questionable Joe"..."IT WAS A TERRIBLE CALL SAM, HE WAS 10 FEET OUT OF THE CREASE"

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:53 PM
BigE

We didn't lose this game because of the refs. We lost it with the same 'ol boneheaded plays that get us in trouble time and time again.

It's not the refs that have blown countless two goal leads for this club all year, it's the players and coaching staff.

This team's inability to play with a lead is the true matter worthy of laughter here. Not the officiating job.

How many people in this thread have mentioned the three (by my count) too many men penalties the Rangers escaped today?

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
We didn't lose this game because of the refs. We lost it with the same 'ol boneheaded plays that get us in trouble time and time again.

It's not the refs that have blown countless two goal leads for this club all year, it's the players and coaching staff.

This team's inability to play with a lead is the true matter worthy of laughter here. Not the officiating job.

How many people in this thread have mentioned the three (by my count) too many men penalties the Rangers escaped today?
We said the refs suck, not the linesman.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
The sad thing is that while this game annoyed me..I wasn't surprised at all. On the subway ride home, I wasn't phased one bit. When you become numb to this team, that is a serious problem with both myself and the actual team.

Were the refs bad tonight? Yes. But they have been bad all season, never give us calls and clearly have an anti-New York bias (and I don't care who says that is whining - prove me wrong), so we just have to learn to live with this.

What I can't live with is lackluster play. It's almost guaranteed now that whenever we have a 2-goal lead that it is going to be blown. I wasn't confident when we were up 2-0. If we had scored that goal late in the second to make it 3-0 I may have been, but I definitely wasn't satisfied.

Bottom line..if we haven't learned how to hold onto a 2-goal lead by now, we aren't going to for the remainder of the season. I don't know how you correct this especially with more and more guys going down with injury as each day goes by.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I am sick of Michal Roszival. He should not be on the power play. Especially now that Mara is on the team.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
The reffing aside, a lot of hockey "experts" say that teams that can't hold leads in the third may have conditioning issues. Anybody think that the Ranger coaches don't push this team hard enough in practice and that this team runs out of gas in the third period. At the very least they certainly don't seem to score much in the last period.
Didn't see the game tonight, but the big problem all season when we got the lead have IMO been the Jagr line, they have gone out there in the 3rd and tryed to extend the lead, and not been able to do that, instead giving up scoringchances.

If we had other players on our top line then Jagr and Nylander among others we could go out there and back down as a team, let the other team work for their scoring chances, and then counterattack on them. Though nobody gets frustrated against us since they get to exchange scoringchances with our 1st line.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post

2)On the second one Armstrong was behind Rozsival at the redline, he completely stopped skating and let Armstrong go in alone and Lundqvist could not play the puck in the corner (trapezoid) when it bounced over his stick, and Armstrong was able to take his time with the puck and get a shot off which went off the post and off Lundqvist. If Rozsival skates hard back all the way, he would have gotten to the puck in the corner before Armstrong, and that play never happens.
That play pissed me off to no end, not because of the goal, that definitly sucked, but the way it was handled by Rozsival. To just stand there and watch as the play unfolded dumbfounded me That play was bad all around and Lundqvist in retrospect should have just taken the penalty and played 4-4, but for his defensemen to stand there only to have a foward attempt to come all the way back from the O-zone to the D-zone to try to break up the play is rediculous!

However, give the Pens credit they were able to get going off of a beautifull goal by Staal short handed none the less. I honestly dont know what the problem is with this team when it comes to holding onto leads, is it the lack of a killer instict? Is it just taking to many dumb chances? What? They played a solid solid game for the first two periods but then the third everyone seemed to forget that there is still 20 more mins to be played, that is everyone on the Rangers, the Pens showed up for the 3rd. Horrible horrible game from the 3rd on.

On a brighter note, I felt as though Mara played really well in all areas, he skated well shot the puck(i think he got the first shot of the game), played an excelent positional game. Him and Girardi played very well last night. I think Malik even played a solid game last night! Roszival was easily the worst D-man out there. Hopefully it was a one game thing.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Fletch

I don't mind...

Rozsival + a forward on the PP, and am happy Renney came back with it despite the result, however, I do believe that Mara needs to be a top pair PP defenseman and Rozsival probably should not be. I said this is the Mara thread - his PP time decreased significantly from last year to this year...perhaps that's one reason his goal totals have decreased signifcantly too - Mara needs to be used effectively. He's not that good defensively and could be good offensively, especially on the PP. He needs ice time.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:01 AM
Fletch

That's not the first time...

Rozsival has stopped skating on a breakaway...I've liked the guy and have defended him, but if he's going to get these top minutes, he's going to need to play a bit harder.

Old
03-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Roszival has played pretty well as of late, so i'm willing to cut him some slack and chalk up to the mistakes that he made yesterday to just that mistakes. Hopefully the ENTIRE team will show up for a full 60 tomorrow.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Evgeny Oliker

I would say that the Rangers did outplay the Penguins for most of the game, so it is a shame that we lost. We were unlucky, especially on that goal that Lundqvist let in when he went out to play the puck, its a shame that happened.

On the Rozsival goal, I was not so much upset at Rozsival (although he did make a mistake in pinching in so far), as I was upset at Renney. If you are up 2-0 in a game in the 3rd period, why do you feel the need to put 4 forwards out on the Powerplay???? To me that made no sense. I think he should have stayed more conservative and went with 3 forwards...that way making sure there would be no short-handed goals. We were playing good enough D during this game to keep a 2-0 lead in the 3rd...no need to go too far here.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Jagr on the Shootout

He made a very nice move, MAF just barely got it. IDK why he thinks he's not good at it. His stats are bad, but I don't understand why. The guy could stickhandle his way out of anything.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:43 AM
In The Flesh

he needs to shoot in every shootout, he needs some confidence in them, he's a top player, and has a wicked shoot, he's just go to do it.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Yep, you guys are right!

The good news is that Jagr has finally found the confidence to be a leader and to go in the shootout.

I said about a week ago that what he needs is to find a spot in the shootout lineup that he is comfortable with. Going first is nerve-wrecking ,so is going 3rd. So him going 2nd was the right idea...less pressure.

He did make a good move. If he keeps going in the shootouts, he will score eventually!

Good for him to show leadership though!

Old
03-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Fletch

Damned if you do...

damned if you don't...with PITT's offense and the Rangers' penchant for giving up leads in third periods, had Renney not put out his best PP unit up 2-0 to try and seal the deal then we would've said ***. Unfortunately, though, Renney, as usual, is inconsistent. He put Betts on the PP, presumably because he wanted a good faceoff guy and a defensive guy out there. It paid off, but it's inconsistent thinking since that's not what he did earlier in the period.

Old
03-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
damned if you don't...with PITT's offense and the Rangers' penchant for giving up leads in third periods, had Renney not put out his best PP unit up 2-0 to try and seal the deal then we would've said ***. Unfortunately, though, Renney, as usual, is inconsistent. He put Betts on the PP, presumably because he wanted a good faceoff guy and a defensive guy out there. It paid off, but it's inconsistent thinking since that's not what he did earlier in the period.
Yep, he is not consistent, like our team at times

What I do like about Renney, and the team, is that both are learning.

Case in point: After Rozsival gave up that short-handed goal, on the next PP Renney made sure to put 3 forwards, not 4. So Renney is still a relatively inexperienced coach, but he is humble enough to learn from his mistakes. I still like the guy.

Old
03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
94now

I disagree. It's not the time to practice SO for Jagr. Hossa could do better. This leadership crap might have cost us a valuable point. Jagr can play better than most, but his shot is not accurate due to shoulder weakness or whatever makes him what he is this season. It has little to do with mentality.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

IDK what happened to Prucha this season though. Last season on a breakaway or shootout he was money. This year he can't seem to score.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote