HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Zherdev Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 12:40 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nhl's Conscience
O.K. Jacket fans,I know it's early and I know Nik's been the topic of debate right now,but I haven't seen him yet so I need to know(LOL).......What's your impression?? Does he look to be the dominant offensive force that he was heralded to be when he came out?? I know it's super early,but so far,what do you think??
Well, he's got talent enough to make it in this league, but only time will tell if he's got the stamina. I've been impressed with his ability to make things happen. The kid had no problem skating through traffic to make the blue line, when the rest of the team seems content to dump it in. I was also impressed with his defensive awareness (I wasn't expecting that), as well as his puck handleling. WOW.
Anyway, enough of my homer optimism. We'll see.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:34 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

One thing I'd say is that I think he is the best puck handler on the team right now.
I don't know if its what the coaches told him to do or if it is how he plays, but I've noticed while on d, he tends to sort of float and looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.
in the nashville game, he went down and had an excellent block on a shot from the point though.
He's shown a little taste of his offensive ability and I liked it.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:52 PM
BlueJacketBoy

Send a message via AIM to BlueJacketBoy Send a message via Yahoo to BlueJacketBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-o-45
Well, he's got talent enough to make it in this league, but only time will tell if he's got the stamina. I've been impressed with his ability to make things happen. The kid had no problem skating through traffic to make the blue line, when the rest of the team seems content to dump it in. I was also impressed with his defensive awareness (I wasn't expecting that), as well as his puck handleling. WOW.
Anyway, enough of my homer optimism. We'll see.

I have to definetely agree with the part about him skating through traffic. That is one thing that has always annoyed me about the Jackets. Our guys rarely ever control the puck through the neutral zone and just take it to the other team. Whereas, the other team ALWAYS seems to march right down the middle sometimes seemingly untouched (ex. Datsyuk in the Wings game at I believe Nationwide, the one where we got our butts handed to us.) So, I really like Zherdev's style of controlling the puck in the neutral zone which in turn allows us to get some offensive support down there with him, rather than doing the infamous "dump and chase".

Old
12-10-2003, 05:42 PM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nhl's Conscience
O.K. Jacket fans,I know it's early and I know Nik's been the topic of debate right now,but I haven't seen him yet so I need to know(LOL).......What's your impression?? Does he look to be the dominant offensive force that he was heralded to be when he came out?? I know it's super early,but so far,what do you think??
Offensive force indeed. The raw potential there is awesome. Great with the puck, excellent in traffic, even showed off his feet a bit tonight. With time and experience he'll be something special.

I don't really see him being a two way forward though - but he does make an effort to play in his own end.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

I think he stays on the ice for too long. NHL shifts are around 45 seconds, I've seen him out for over a minute sometimes. Of course, shifts might last that long over in Russia (I don't know), or maybe he just doesn't know any better yet (more likely). He isn't afraid to go into the corners and he backchecks and blocks shots better than Nash did at this stage last season. I was hoping for a breakaway after he got out of the box in OT, but Lachance had a horrible call whistled on him.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:41 PM
CBJSlash

[QUOTE=Sir Ozzie X]I think he stays on the ice for too long. NHL shifts are around 45 seconds, I've seen him out for over a minute sometimes. Of course, shifts might last that long over in Russia (I don't know), or maybe he just doesn't know any better yet (more likely). He isn't afraid to go into the corners and he backchecks and blocks shots better than Nash did at this stage last season. QUOTE]

I totally agree with ice lengthy shifts. I say it in his first couple games but figured it take a game or two to adjust to that, but he still seems to be out there for long periods of time. He was outmuscled by the Flyers tonight along the boards but still played a solid game. He got up slow a couple times after hits. I don't know if he was trying to get a call or what. All in all I have been nothing but impressed by the kid and he patience to get off that shot in the 3rd really surprised me. I'm still going to reserve my opinion on him until after his 20th game.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:01 AM
MojoJojo

From watching him the one game vs Philly, he is a nasty little player. He is going to have to learn to conroll his anger and his stick, because If he continues to play like he did last night, you will see him in the penalty box an awful lot. He reminds me of Kovalchuk, scrappy, explosive, great skating through traffic and puck handling.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:29 AM
puckgoalnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
he is a nasty little player.
Actually, the nast little player on the ice was actually a big no-talent goon by the name of Brashear. I think his game plan was to take runs at Zherdev all night long. Watching Brashear play made me realize what a gracefully skilled player we have in Shelley.

"He got up slow a couple times after hits." One of those was right in front of me and was caused by Brashear. DB came in stick high and caught Zherdev right in the jaw ... I was surprised he got up as quickly as he did.

I would say Zherdev will get a lot of people angry because he combines skill, energy and fiestiness at such a young age and it's really aggravating for some of the established players and refs.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:16 AM
jackets63

Zherdev's Future

I got to see Zherdev in person for the first time last night and it made me think of something. Now, I in no way mean to bash the kid at all. But I did notice him starting to float at times out there.

It made me think; what would you guys think of him if he became the type of player who never played defense, but was amazing offensively. A pre-knee injury Pavel Bure comes to mind as a scenario. What if he hardly ever touches his own zone, yet scores 45-50 goals and is a + player?

Personally, I dont have a problem with it. Pavel will probably always be my favorite player because he was the most exciting to watch when I started watching hockey. He took a lot of heat back then for never playing defense and always cherry picking. (Most of that heat came from the same people who think the game is too defensive now and that there isnt enough scoring. :p ) But his linemates usually played enough defense that he could freewheel and make something happen. He also kept the D back on thier heels at all times.

Anyway, what if he turns out like this? Will everyone just enjoy his offense even if he takes a shift or two off? Or will he be heavily criticized for never playing D and for floating every once in a while?

Old
12-11-2003, 06:20 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I think it depends on the rest of the team. If the rest of the team is solid defensively and we could afford to let Zherdev float and cherry pick, then I don't see it as a problem.
Of course, if we're talking about 50+ goals, then that's going to quell a lot of complaints. Someone needs to score goals and if that's how he does it, then I think I'd take that.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:30 AM
puckgoalnet

Actually, I've thought he's played better defensively than I expected. Yes, I think he floats occasionally but I think at this point it's a good trade-off. He seems to be picking his times to float. When he senses the line is in trouble he jumps in a plays very aggressive D, but when he thinks they have it handled he seems to want to float out for a breakaway. I think I'd be happy with that combo throughout his career ... it seems to be the same way Nash plays.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Wisent

Zherdev again

Hello, Im interested in Zherdev, but I haven't the possibility to see any games of the Blue Jackets. Can anyone tell me if he is playing on the powerplay?

Old
12-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
Hello, Im interested in Zherdev, but I haven't the possibility to see any games of the Blue Jackets. Can anyone tell me if he is playing on the powerplay?
He's been getting some good PP time. The Jackets only had four total PP minutes in last night's game ( , and I'll leave it at that) and Z got to play 1:18 of it; in the prior game against Colorado, he played about 5:30 of his 19 total minutes on the PP, which was about the same amount of PP time as Nash, Vyborny, and Sydor each had.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
He either is the lightist guy ever, or he has no balance. Seems to get knocked around a lot.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckgoalnet
Actually, I've thought he's played better defensively than I expected. Yes, I think he floats occasionally but I think at this point it's a good trade-off. He seems to be picking his times to float. When he senses the line is in trouble he jumps in a plays very aggressive D, but when he thinks they have it handled he seems to want to float out for a breakaway. I think I'd be happy with that combo throughout his career ... it seems to be the same way Nash plays.

Yes he has played better defensivly then expected, but is that really saying all that much?

Old
12-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

He plays on the 2nd PP Unit with

Marchant, Eriksson, Sanderson, and Malhotra/Vyborhny

Old
12-11-2003, 02:25 PM
puckgoalnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zherdev Fan
Yes he has played better defensivly then expected, but is that really saying all that much?
You're right ... instead of saying "better than" I guess I should have said he's played "a lot better defensively" than expected.

Based on what we heard before he got here, I was expecting something worse than Kovalchuk's defensive awareness during his rookie year. While I'm no where near ready to declare Z a two-way player, he's light years ahead of where Kovalchuk was defensively and that's a good sign ...

Old
12-11-2003, 02:27 PM
puckgoalnet

He is on the ice quite a bit, but if you think back, so was Nash his rookie year. Z won't grow nearly as much, but hopefully he'll learn to keep his skates under him.

Old
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
3mta3

Um, mods, do we need 6 Zherdev threads?

How many threads do we need about Zherdev? There are 6 in the page I'm looking at now. Anyone up for merging these?

Old
12-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3
How many threads do we need about Zherdev? There are 6 in the page I'm looking at now. Anyone up for merging these?
7 with your thread

Old
12-11-2003, 05:06 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Let's start up a couple of more, just to make Aaron and Sam mad.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Mack45

Can you imagine what this kid is going to be like after he has a year under his belt!
If he can develope as quickly as Nash has...... WOW!!!

WE ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. WE HAVE TO BE PATIENT.

Who would have thought we would be hit with all these injuries to key people.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan-o-45
Let's start up a couple of more, just to make Aaron and Sam mad.
I think I'm a little Zherdev'd out, myself.

Old
12-12-2003, 04:58 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I don't mind having a bunch of Zherdev threads. The problem is all the current threads are asking the same question. Do we like Zherdev? Yes. Do we think he looks good thus far? Yes.

Old
12-12-2003, 05:00 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

In the NSH and PHI games, he went down and had some nice blocks on shots from the point. So he's got that going for him.

Closed Thread