HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Would this satisfy my fellow Oil fans?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Would this satisfy my fellow Oil fans?

So i was on the trade rumors board and apparently Jeff O'Neil has been playing less than spectacular this season and may be on the trading block.

I offered up this deal:

To Edmonton

Jeff O'Neil
Nick Wallin

To Carolina

Mike Comrie
Shawn Horcoff
Scott Ferguson
3rd Rounder

The Canes countered by saying take out Fergie and the 3rd and add Chimera and we could have a deal. I signed sealed and delivered the following deal...how does this sound?

To Edmonton

O'Neil
Wallin

To Carolina

Comrie
Horcoff
Chimera

This deal helps deal with our glut of forwards and gives us another big offensive center with potential but potentially creates a problem with the defense.
Because they don't want or have a need for Ferguson that would leave us with 8 NHL calibre d-men...Smith, Staios, Brewer, Cross, Wallin, Semenov, Bergeron and Ferguson. Could Fergie be the next Dan Cleary and be bought out by the Oilers? Could we afford to package another d-man with a prospect for a high end prospect and the option to swap first round picks this year or next year...preferably with a weaker team?
My guess would be Smith and Salmo/Mikhnov...would that be decent?

How would this deal change everything and how would you guys expect things to work out? Or are you unsatisfied with the exchange and would rather not make the deal?

Old
12-11-2003, 02:41 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle
To Edmonton

O'Neil
Wallin

To Carolina

Comrie
Horcoff
Chimera
I would take that deal. As long as O'Neill could switch back to centre without any ill effects, he'd be exactly what we need and Wallin, while unspectacular, does add solid defensive depth. He's not a defensive saviour, but certainly he's equal to or better than our current bottom-half defense.

LW-C-RW

Smyth - O'Neill - Hemsky
Rita - Oates - Dvorak
Torres - York - Isbister
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani

Brewer - Semenov
Smith - Staois
Cross/Bergeron/Wallin

Old
12-11-2003, 02:41 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
The Canes countered by saying take out Fergie and the 3rd and add Chimera and we could have a deal. I signed sealed and delivered the following deal...how does this sound?

To Edmonton

O'Neil
Wallin

To Carolina

Comrie
Horcoff
Chimera
My god if that deal was done this city would have to be rebuilt by the end of the week

Edit: Because of the fans tearing it down with sheer delight

Old
12-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
I would take that deal. As long as O'Neill could switch back to centre without any ill effects, he'd be exactly what we need and Wallin, while unspectacular, does add solid defensive depth. He's not a defensive saviour, but certainly he's equal to or better than our current bottom-half defense.

LW-C-RW

Smyth - O'Neill - Hemsky
Rita - Oates - Dvorak
Torres - York - Isbister
Moreau - Reasoner - Pisani

Brewer - Semenov
Smith - Staois
Cross/Bergeron/Wallin
I'm on the same wave length as you, if O'Neill can go back to center easily, I'd LOVE this deal, and I'd love that 1st line you have there.

The 2nd and 3rd lines could easily mix and match too.

Old
12-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
So i was on the trade rumors board and apparently Jeff O'Neil has been playing less than spectacular this season and may be on the trading block.

I offered up this deal:

To Edmonton

Jeff O'Neil
Nick Wallin

To Carolina

Mike Comrie
Shawn Horcoff
Scott Ferguson
3rd Rounder

To Edmonton

O'Neil
Wallin

To Carolina

Comrie
Horcoff
Chimera

This deal helps deal with our glut of forwards and gives us another big offensive center with potential but potentially creates a problem with the defense.
Because they don't want or have a need for Ferguson that would leave us with 8 NHL calibre d-men...Smith, Staios, Brewer, Cross, Wallin, Semenov, Bergeron and Ferguson. Could Fergie be the next Dan Cleary and be bought out by the Oilers? Could we afford to package another d-man with a prospect for a high end prospect and the option to swap first round picks this year or next year...preferably with a weaker team?
My guess would be Smith and Salmo/Mikhnov...would that be decent?

How would this deal change everything and how would you guys expect things to work out? Or are you unsatisfied with the exchange and would rather not make the deal?

I wouldn't do that deal, cuz Jeff O'Neill hasn't done much, + doesn't he make 3.5 mil or so?? way too expensive for us to afford..we're giving up 2 role players (3rd/4th liners) & getting a top 6 forward in return when our top 6 is pretty much set. + we have 7 d-men as it stands, we dont need another one unless we give one up

Brewer
Semenov
Cross
Staios
Smith
Ferguson
Bergeron

so we gain a top 6 forward which we dont need, we get rid of 2 role players, which we need to keep at least 1 of or at least get one in return, & Now we have too many d-men....

Old
12-11-2003, 03:12 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
I wouldn't do that deal, cuz Jeff O'Neill hasn't done much, + doesn't he make 3.5 mil or so?? way too expensive for us to afford..we're giving up 2 role players (3rd/4th liners) & getting a top 6 forward in return when our top 6 is pretty much set. + we have 7 d-men as it stands, we dont need another one unless we give one up

Brewer
Semenov
Cross
Staios
Smith
Ferguson
Bergeron

so we gain a top 6 forward which we dont need, we get rid of 2 role players, which we need to keep at least 1 of or at least get one in return, & Now we have too many d-men....
excuse me? oneil's jersey sales alone would pay his salary

Old
12-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
excuse me? oneil's jersey sales alone would pay his salary

that's quite funny....let's say jerseys' cost $150 with player names already on them (haven't been jersey shopping in a while, & i have each oiler jersey, modern day & classic 80's oilers jerseys) 3 of the jerseys with my name on them but that's a whole different story..

so $150/jersey divide by O'neills 3.5 mil salary (i think it's closer to 4 or so mil, but we'll use 3.5 anyhow)...so using a calculator

3,500,000 salary divide by $150/jersey = 23333.333333333

so there'd have to be 23,334 Jeff O'Neil Oiler jersey's sold to pay for his salary THIS year ALONE!! I think that's quite crazy! I really doubt it.

Old
12-11-2003, 04:14 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
that's quite funny....let's say jerseys' cost $150 with player names already on them (haven't been jersey shopping in a while, & i have each oiler jersey, modern day & classic 80's oilers jerseys) 3 of the jerseys with my name on them but that's a whole different story..

so $150/jersey divide by O'neills 3.5 mil salary (i think it's closer to 4 or so mil, but we'll use 3.5 anyhow)...so using a calculator

so there'd have to be 23,334 Jeff O'Neil Oiler jersey's sold to pay for his salary THIS year ALONE!! I think that's quite crazy! I really doubt it.
I didn't mean for you to take it literally. I was implying that he would be massively popular here. If we have 1.5 million (i think??) to give to BG, whose ONLY role is community support, 4 mill to o'neil is peanuts. Peanuts i tell you!!

Old
12-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
I didn't mean for you to take it literally. I was implying that he would be massively popular here. If we have 1.5 million (i think??) to give to BG, whose ONLY role is community support, 4 mill to o'neil is peanuts. Peanuts i tell you!!
why would O'Neill be massively popular here??? I dont see the logic, he's slumping this year, 2 goals in 28 games for a player who's supposed to have at least 10 by now, he's be a minus (in the +/- rating) 7 of 8 seasons in the NHL...he's a career -90 rating, he's expensive..

Laraque's role isn't just in the community, one of the reasons he doesn't fight anymore is cause not many players wanna fight him, he's the heavy weight champ in the NHL...w/out BG our team has no enforcer to back the other team's players away & make sure they dont try and take out our big players knees & try & injure them (meaning York, Smyth, Brewer, etc will be protected if someone tried to take 'em out)....

4 mil is NOT peanuts for our team, if it was we would've had Marchant signed this past off-season....4 mil is A LOT of cash, for a team who has a 33 mil budget...

Old
12-11-2003, 05:42 PM
LawnDemon

O'Niell has a notoriously bad work ethic, poor conditioning, poor foot speed, and huge contract. These things do not add up to "good oiler".

Old
12-11-2003, 05:54 PM
LP

We just need a good two-way hockey player. Some in the lines of Charlie Conway or Adam Banks..

Old
12-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
O'Niell has a notoriously bad work ethic, poor conditioning, poor foot speed, and huge contract. These things do not add up to "good oiler".
THANK YOU!! finally someone who agrees with me!!

Old
12-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Oilercreeper

OILERS could have drafted O'Neill.... They Chose Jason Bonsignore...

Old
12-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Peepeetch
We just need a good two-way hockey player. Some in the lines of Charlie Conway or Adam Banks..
lol

Old
12-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Walsher

Quote:

Just to clarify - it costs 100 bucks alone to get the name on the jersey so I doubt it would be a 150 dollar jersey. Unless you are buying it at WalMart and writing O'neil on the back with a jiffy marker.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Im so happy we chose J.Bonsignore instead of J.O'neill, it helps me take my mind off of Steve Kelly.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:31 PM
Hemsky01

Quote:
Jeff is one of the best skaters in the NHL(draft preview, different scouting reports I have read). I don't know about his contract (although I remember someone saying it was lower than Comrie's last year), and I'm not sure where you get the bad work ethic or poor conditioning from. Unless you have some inside sources or links, and I might be wrong on this one, your opinion of O'Niell is not very credible.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Walsher

If the Oilers were looking to spend 4 mil - why not go after Robert Lang instead of O'neil. Lang is playing very good and Washington is apparently shopping him so if a deal for a 4 million dollar man is in the works it seems Lang is a better fit.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

maybe a little reasoning...

If you consider the 2.53 that Comrie owes the Oilers plus the salaries of three players in exchange for two...i think we make out not bad financially in this deal and i think we could become a wreaking crew in the North West division if;

1) The lines proposed by Jim Harnock were adopted and stuck with by MacT.

2) The injury bug just backed off for 1 year.

3) Salo returns to form, playing at least 3/4 of the games.

So yeah 3.5 or w/e O'Neil makes is not that big of a pill to swallow if Comrie actually owes or pays the Oil 2.53. Then there is always that chance that MC would not want to play in Carolina and would refuse this trade.

Who knows...just some potential logic to why this deal could work out in our favor.

PS: I do think O'Neil would become an instant fan favorite in Edmonton and his stats/play would increase with the added motivation of being on a .500 + hockey club. The qualities or lack there of that added up to O'Neil not being a "good oiler" could drastically improve once we get him out of that subtle environment in Carolina.

Lang could definitely be another option and although his offensive numbers would seem to make the decision an easy one...i don't think O'Neil has reached his full potential yet and we have always demanded a skilled center with size and O'Neil would meet and exceed that need.

Old
12-11-2003, 10:31 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
If you consider the 2.53 that Comrie owes the Oilers plus the salaries of three players in exchange for two...i think we make out not bad financially in this deal and i think we could become a wreaking crew in the North West division if;

1) The lines proposed by Jim Harnock were adopted and stuck with by MacT.
With Jani Rita on the 2nd line?? Nope.

Old
12-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilercreeper
OILERS could have drafted O'Neill.... They Chose Jason Bonsignore...
My understanding was that Carolina (Hartford) chose 5th between Edmonton who was 4th and 6th. Carolina was going to pick either O'Neil or Smyth - so if we took O'Neil instead of Bonsignore - Carolina would have taken Smyth. Looking at the guys taken after #6 - we did OK having one of Smyth and Bonsignore turn out.

Picking Steve Kelly over Doan is actually the only incredibly stupid thing the Oilers did in the mid-1990s when they were drafting pretty high. The draft is such a crap shoot.

Last edited by Asiaoil: 12-11-2003 at 11:13 PM.
Old
12-12-2003, 07:18 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
Jeff is one of the best skaters in the NHL(draft preview, different scouting reports I have read). I don't know about his contract (although I remember someone saying it was lower than Comrie's last year), and I'm not sure where you get the bad work ethic or poor conditioning from. Unless you have some inside sources or links, and I might be wrong on this one, your opinion of O'Niell is not very credible.
draft preview? are you serious? you're quoting (or should i say mis-quoting) draft information from 1994? and you have the gall to call MY credibility into question? in case you missed the date on yesterday's newspaper that was 9 years ago! you know who else had a GREAT draft preview that year? jason bonsignore.

And a salary lower than comrie? where do you get this crap? and what is in your head when you make **** up and use it to call another poster's credibility into question? his salary is 3.7 million per season NOT including bonuses. i'll repeat that in case you missed it: 3.7 million per season. here's a link to satisfy you: http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...o1.asp?ID=4242

as far as work ethic and conditioning, well, that was presented from numerous sources as the reason why he was NOT selected to represent Canada in the olympics. i'm way too lazy to try and find old articles to link just for you. suffice it to say that his lack of consistency was brought up quite frequently.

oh, and another "source" for the work ethic, consistency and speed. well, i actually watch hockey. lots of it. certainly this is only my opinion after watching him play hockey since carolina was the Hartford Whalers. i've seen him interviewed in the dressing room and he has a beer gut which is something to note when chalked up against all the six-packs surrounding him. could that be poor conditioning? I can honestly say I've only seen about 30 or 40 O'Niell games over the last 9 years but i'd suggest that is more than enough for me to form an informed and (i dare say) credible OPINION.

take your pedantic snide comments elsewhere junior. and next time you want to questions someone's credibility i'd suggest you don't fill your posts with baseless suppositions.

Last edited by LawnDemon: 12-12-2003 at 07:22 AM.
Old
12-12-2003, 07:34 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
My understanding was that Carolina (Hartford) chose 5th between Edmonton who was 4th and 6th. Carolina was going to pick either O'Neil or Smyth - so if we took O'Neil instead of Bonsignore - Carolina would have taken Smyth. Looking at the guys taken after #6 - we did OK having one of Smyth and Bonsignore turn out.

Picking Steve Kelly over Doan is actually the only incredibly stupid thing the Oilers did in the mid-1990s when they were drafting pretty high. The draft is such a crap shoot.
But why not just pick smyth at #4?

Old
12-12-2003, 07:53 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
If the Oilers were looking to spend 4 mil - why not go after Robert Lang instead of O'neil. Lang is playing very good and Washington is apparently shopping him so if a deal for a 4 million dollar man is in the works it seems Lang is a better fit.
YES I agree. This would be a much better move.

I like Smyth - Lang - Hemsky much more then
Smyth - O'Neil - Hemsky

Old
12-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Hemsky01

Quote:
draft preview? are you serious? you're quoting (or should i say mis-quoting) draft information from 1994? and you have the gall to call MY credibility into question? in case you missed the date on yesterday's newspaper that was 9 years ago! you know who else had a GREAT draft preview that year? jason bonsignore.

And a salary lower than comrie? where do you get this crap? and what is in your head when you make **** up and use it to call another poster's credibility into question? his salary is 3.7 million per season NOT including bonuses. i'll repeat that in case you missed it: 3.7 million per season. here's a link to satisfy you: http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...o1.asp?ID=4242

as far as work ethic and conditioning, well, that was presented from numerous sources as the reason why he was NOT selected to represent Canada in the olympics. i'm way too lazy to try and find old articles to link just for you. suffice it to say that his lack of consistency was brought up quite frequently.

oh, and another "source" for the work ethic, consistency and speed. well, i actually watch hockey. lots of it. certainly this is only my opinion after watching him play hockey since carolina was the Hartford Whalers. i've seen him interviewed in the dressing room and he has a beer gut which is something to note when chalked up against all the six-packs surrounding him. could that be poor conditioning? I can honestly say I've only seen about 30 or 40 O'Niell games over the last 9 years but i'd suggest that is more than enough for me to form an informed and (i dare say) credible OPINION.

take your pedantic snide comments elsewhere junior. and next time you want to questions someone's credibility i'd suggest you don't fill your posts with baseless suppositions.
Hey, take it easy, I was just disagreeing with you on an opinion you have of O'Niell. As far as I know, that's still allowed on these boards.

O'Niell salary according to the Sports Forecaster is 3.3M, which with Bonuses could work out too the 3.7M that you have a link for. Comrie with bonuses made right around that amount.

I'm not sure how a Draft Preview issue would be irrelavant when discussing a players skating ability. I'm pretty sure (although I may not have watched as much Hockey as you have) that Skating ability doesn't magically disappear.

As for his work ethic, that neither of us know for sure. I'm pretty sure you haven't been playing for the Whalers or Hurricanes in the last 9 years. I wasn't pointing out he had a great work ethic, just that I didn't know where you got it from that he was lazy.

What I was trying to say is that O'Niell would be a way better return for Comrie then Perry and a 1st. I think he would fit perfectly into the Oilers lineup if he could return to the centre position. He is more of a shooter than a passer and in my opinion, would be great with Hemsky.

And next time, before you have a heart attack that some had the gall to try and disagree with you, take a pill! Nothing personal, just relax dude! I'm pretty sure if you go back and read both posts, you will see that you are the one questioning my credibility. And I couldn't care less!

Closed Thread