HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Fournier: Ducks wanted Rivet for Beauchemin.

Old
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
RC51

vCash: 500
Would you offer a 1st round draft choice for this guy???????????
are you nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
We've gotta crucify somebody though. So who's it gonna be?
Maybe it could be someone from my ignore list.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:39 PM
WineShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
On CKAC, Ron Fournier is speculating that Brian Burke wanted to trade Beauchemin for Rivet. On USA Today, Burke said that he wanted one of our UFA D and was mad that Bob didn't want to talk to him before trading Rivet. Apparently, Burke was ready to give Beauchemin for Rivet.
There is speculation that some GM's dont want to deal with Burke. I can see the conclusion based on how the SJS got both Rivet and Guerin and Burke wanted both. And in the end, Burke traded his #4 dman for a #1 because that is the price of UFA's this year - and didnt pull the trigger on a trade. Clearly that was unintentional. He didnt get a deal done.

But in truth, I take him at his word. He said the price for UFA's was too high and he wasn't going to send any of his younger roster players in trade. So why would he trade his number 4 dman to get a first, so he could send that along with his #3 dman in his prime, for Rivet? If Burke would have traded Beauchemin and a first, that would have been better that the SJS deal. But its entirely illogcal and while I think the price for UFA's at the deadline was illogical altogether, this would have been an all-time high for crazy.

BTW - I think the package you got for Rivet was really strong and outside of Tkachuk and Foppa which were the most lopsided returns for the sellers, I think the Rivet trade was the next best trade for a selling team and a good job by Gainey.

We get a #4 Dman who has strong character, is experienced, is questionable defensively, has diminishing skills, and is coming off pnemonia - for 18 games and the P/O's. In exchange, you get the dman who was playing #4 for us ES and PK and has several years left before he can be a UFA and still has upside since he's only played 1 year in total --- AND you get our first rounder.

I'm not complaining. We need Rivet's experience because the SJS were the youngest team in the League before the trades and we have to have some character vets to go deep. I think there were better potential trades out there - but you guys have to believe on the whole that you got a GREAT return for a player that wasnt even seeing ice time at this point.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Maybe it could be someone from my ignore list.
I've always wanted to get an ignore list... but then you end up missing the juciest comments.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I'm not complaining. We need Rivet's experience because the SJS were the youngest team in the League before the trades and we have to have some character vets to go deep. I think there were better potential trades out there - but you guys have to believe on the whole that you got a GREAT return for a player that wasnt even seeing ice time at this point.
If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in your take on Rivet through the stretch run. I like this acquisition for the Sharks, and I hope Rivet bounces back to his previous form. He'll certainly have more opportunity to do that in San Jose than he did in MTL.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
I've always wanted to get an ignore list... but then you end up missing the juciest comments.
Well...you can still see them being quoted. And then you remember why they were on that list.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:02 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balk View Post
There must be a reason for Gainey not calling him back. With all Burke's talk about an over-inflated market, it would be logical to think that Burke low-balled Gainey on his first offer to the point where he didn't bother calling him back.
agreed , but the haters don't want to hear that they are only interested in finding reasons to hate gainey . i find it all very amusing .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:03 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
kevin lowe

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
agreed , but the haters don't want to hear that they are only interested in finding reasons to hate gainey . i find it all very amusing .
Agreed!

Edit: Whoa!!

Habsfan4. Habsfan44...

What the hell is going on!

Old
03-01-2007, 07:10 PM
WineShark

Quote:
If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in your take on Rivet through the stretch run. I like this acquisition for the Sharks, and I hope Rivet bounces back to his previous form. He'll certainly have more opportunity to do that in San Jose than he did in MTL.
Obviously we hope he does well too. We have 3 good defensement: Mclaren, Hannan, and Vlassic (only 19!) - and then a big dropoff so Gorges was getting the defensive TOI as #4 (TTOI he was #6 because he played no PP). We REALLY needed someone that could shave on the team and has seen playoffs more than once. So Rivet will surely get his chance.

He got into town last night and is working with the club this morning. They are talking about limiting his time to 15 minutes, but Hannan went out with an undisclosed upper-lower-flu-body injury, so he may see more than that in his first game.

I think the fans aren't expecting to see him set the world on fire. The hope is that he can get healthy and his legs under him in the next 18 games and can stabilize the defensive corps and get the puck to the forwards who can take it from there. But our big problem right now is the forwards have to come back and help support the D to advance the puck, so we almost never see odd-man rushes and consequently while we are #2 in the league in PP, we are WAY down the list on ES goals. Rivet has to be able to help that one thing - even if he stays back in the zone and skates slow. He can play good positional defense and help a 19 year old kid learn the ropes.

WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:13 PM
LesCanadiens

How the heck would any of these media mental midgets know anything like that? Gawd.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Obviously we hope he does well too. We have 3 good defensement: Mclaren, Hannan, and Vlassic (only 19!) - and then a big dropoff so Gorges was getting the defensive TOI as #4 (TTOI he was #6 because he played no PP). We REALLY needed someone that could shave on the team and has seen playoffs more than once. So Rivet will surely get his chance.

He got into town last night and is working with the club this morning. They are talking about limiting his time to 15 minutes, but Hannan went out with an undisclosed upper-lower-flu-body injury, so he may see more than that in his first game.

I think the fans aren't expecting to see him set the world on fire. The hope is that he can get healthy and his legs under him in the next 18 games and can stabilize the defensive corps and get the puck to the forwards who can take it from there. But our big problem right now is the forwards have to come back and help support the D to advance the puck, so we almost never see odd-man rushes and consequently while we are #2 in the league in PP, we are WAY down the list on ES goals. Rivet has to be able to help that one thing - even if he stays back in the zone and skates slow. He can play good positional defense and help a 19 year old kid learn the ropes.
What you're describing is basically his strength; helping along younger players. He's proven to excel in this role at every stage of the game.

He isn't all that slow, either.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting. Rivet's accustomed to being a minute eater in clutch time, so he'll be alright to step up while McLaren's out.

BTW, despite Rivet not being huge, he was used frequently to contain large opposing forwards. When he's on his game, he's solid in inzone coverage.

On a related note, I can't wait to see the playoffs in the West this year. Sharks vs Preds or Wings would be especially interesting.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 07:39 PM
AD

Quote:

Rivet will do that.

Leadership. Check.
Stability. Check.
Poise. Check.
Backbone. Check.

And since you're not looking for Bobby Orr, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
How the heck would any of these media mental midgets know anything like that? Gawd.
It's funny because Fournier said it was just speculation. The mental midgets are the one going "OMG, Fournier crazy, french media evil...!!!".

Last edited by Kimota: 03-01-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Beauchemin is OK, but I'd prefer Gorges and the first pick eight days a week. Who knows, some day Gainey might be able to trade Gorges to the Sharks for Beauchemin + a first, or else pick up Beauchemin on waivers.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
kevin lowe
Crucify the biggest idiot in Hockey, Bettman or if he can't be reached pick a ref

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
GNick42

Quote:
On CKAC, Ron Fournier is speculating that Brian Burke wanted to trade Beauchemin for Rivet. On USA Today, Burke said that he wanted one of our UFA D and was mad that Bob didn't want to talk to him before trading Rivet. Apparently, Burke was ready to give Beauchemin for Rivet.

Don't know if I believe Fournier's rumour. Why would Burke make that deal? Beauchemin is the better player, especially considering Rivet is coming off puenmonia.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Don't know if I believe Fournier's rumour. Why would Burke make that deal? Beauchemin is the better player, especially considering Rivet is coming off puenmonia.
It's not even a rumour! Read the thing very carefuly again: he says "s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-n-g".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 09:38 PM
FTowwn

i like the Gorges offer better, we also got a much needed 1st rounder too. Beauchemin is good, and would be welcomed back in MTL and would be a step up from both Gorges and Rivet, but the 1st rd pick in a deal with Rivet is huuge steal.

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
superstar436

Quote:
If u paid attention he said that if BG asked for sure we would have had Beachemin ( he is overrated). He did not say that bob asked for beauchemin coz bob never asked for anything.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:20 PM
MasterD

Quote:
If you're Bergeron: Markov and Bonk

If you're anglo: Latendresse

If you're Cherry: Kovy, Koivu, Sammy, Markov and all other euro on or around the team

If you're french speaking: IT seems that Garth Murray is the current guy of choice... And the eternal "Koivu doesnt speak french lets trade him ASAP"...

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
if that's true, which I doubt it is, Gainey needs to be fired now. But since I don't think it's true, we can keep Gainey

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
If you're Bergeron: Markov and Bonk

If you're anglo: Latendresse

If you're Cherry: Kovy, Koivu, Sammy, Markov and all other euro on or around the team

If you're french speaking: IT seems that Garth Murray is the current guy of choice... And the eternal "Koivu doesnt speak french lets trade him ASAP"...
Cherry likes Koivu. I don't remember how he feels about the rest.

Latendresse's main problem is his skating. If he improves that, he could be a very effective player.

Poor Bergeron. There aren't many Habs he can hype while keeping a straight face.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
habs86

vCash: 1238
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

ya ok the guy you let go Beauchemin you trade Rivet to get him back ..

right right .....

that wasnt going to work one for one .

anyway we got great value for Rivet so who cares .

Its Souray im worried about

glad to see i am not the only one

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's funny because Fournier said it was just speculation. The mental midgets are the one going "OMG, Fournier crazy, french media evil...!!!".
Thanks for the clarification....got the wrong mental midget.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote