HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe coming up on Prime Time Sports (FAN 590 in Toronto)

Old
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupul's Pupils View Post
i would rather overpay and spend like 7.5 on a danny briere or forsberg than 5.5 on smyth. but thats just me
Forsberg is creaky boat so spending 7.5 million on him would equal one of the worst signings in NHL history.

Daniel Briere 7.5??? He's good, but not domination good.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Matts

I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
people largely are having trouble differentiating between Lowe's deficiencies and the EIG's frugalities. The cap may be $47M next season, ours won't.
I'm trying to tell all these people buying Lowe's crap that 40 mill will only get you so far. ****, even amidst all the talk of 8 and 9 million dollar players Lowe is throwing in stuff about the Oilers budget.

That being said we had a guy that could go up against the toughest guys in the league and come out at worst even. and it was up to lowe to fit up into the budget.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
and it was up to lowe to fit up into the budget.
Agree.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Matts

Just to be clear LT:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Agree.
It came like a typo but I meant that to say that even with a limited budget it was up to Lowe to fit 94 into it.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
It came like a typo but I meant that to say that even with a limited budget it was up to Lowe to fit 94 into it.
Agree. We clearly don't see the Smyth trade the same way, but Lowe signing the 6s and 7s to the contracts a year (and longer) ago made the dollar situation difficult to impossible now.

Except that I don't think that's the real reason Smyth is gone. Smyth is gone because that money is going to a defenseman.

Old
03-01-2007, 11:51 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
I'm trying to tell all these people buying Lowe's crap that 40 mill will only get you so far. ****, even amidst all the talk of 8 and 9 million dollar players Lowe is throwing in stuff about the Oilers budget.

That being said we had a guy that could go up against the toughest guys in the league and come out at worst even. and it was up to lowe to fit up into the budget.
Its a given that you understand the situation, i just think that Lowe has to work within EIG's parameters is being undervalued here... yes hes suspect to daggered criticisms regarding his contracts to Pisani/Horc/Staios etc, because he is within those parameters and let Smyth be the fallguy... but its hard to argue not locking those guys up, logical question is what was Smyth asking for in the offseason? I have no clue... but it may be why.

But as of today... we cant have Ryan Smyth making 5.5 for 5 years.

The EIG-Cap wouldnt make any room to get the players we severely need more than Ryan.

And the Matheson bit during the Intermission was embarassing. Lowe should be ashamed... or Laforge, whomever ordered it. I nearly vomited. Is Principe really considered a journalist or i would suggest ladies softball manager? gross.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:05 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Agree. We clearly don't see the Smyth trade the same way, but Lowe signing the 6s and 7s to the contracts a year (and longer) ago made the dollar situation difficult to impossible now.

Except that I don't think that's the real reason Smyth is gone. Smyth is gone because that money is going to a defenseman.
Other than Timmonen, I don't see another UFA possibility. Markov will be re-signed. Souray or Stuart? Please no!

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:

Yeah we would have had over $12 million tied up in Hemsky, Pisani and a re-signed Smyth - and we would never win anything with that much money tied up in wingers (the least important position on the ice). The Hemsky contract was a no-brainer and the only guy who is better on the Oil at ES and plays tougher minutes is Pisani (who has had a hell of year injury-wise and personally). So Smyth was odd man out and I'm glad he walked because next year would have looked a lot like this year if he had stayed.

PS Lowetide - I've run a few salary numbers and Lupul is toast IMHO - another winger making $2.5 million just wont fly......

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Rival39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupul's Pupils View Post
i would rather overpay and spend like 7.5 on a danny briere or forsberg than 5.5 on smyth. but thats just me

Well lets hope neither of those two guys has any idea what has been going on here the last couple days (on and off the ice) because right now I don't know why any decent UFA would want to sign in Edmonton.

Rival39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:14 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
Yeah we would have had over $12 million tied up in Hemsky, Pisani and a re-signed Smyth - and we would never win anything with that much money tied up in wingers (the least important position on the ice). The Hemsky contract was a no-brainer and the only guy who is better on the Oil at ES and plays tougher minutes is Pisani (who has had a hell of year injury-wise and personally). So Smyth was odd man out and I'm glad he walked because next year would have looked a lot like this year if he had stayed.

PS Lowetide - I've run a few salary numbers and Lupul is toast IMHO - another winger making $2.5 million just wont fly......
I would be ecstatic if we got a solid young defenseman for Lupul+. That said, Torres is UFA soon. Keep that payday in mind as well/

Old
03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post

I think the Oilers are nicely situated in goal and a center for a solid run, and with a real good #1 D (whatever that means) the defense should straighten up and fly right.

With regard to Lupul, I'm reminded of a line from Craig MacTavish to a ref in the 03-04 season after the ref had a terrible start: "you can't possibly be this ****ing bad".

I think the Oilers will give Lupul another year because he can't possibly be this ****ing bad. I mean, what are you going to get for him now? Dan Lacouture?

Old
03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
The Rage

Quote:
I think the Oilers are nicely situated in goal and a center for a solid run, and with a real good #1 D (whatever that means) the defense should straighten up and fly right.

With regard to Lupul, I'm reminded of a line from Craig MacTavish to a ref in the 03-04 season after the ref had a terrible start: "you can't possibly be this ****ing bad".

I think the Oilers will give Lupul another year because he can't possibly be this ****ing bad. I mean, what are you going to get for him now? Dan Lacouture?
I think a pump and dump would be genius. Soft minutes with Lecavlier (lol, if AsiaOil is right about that potential Oiler).

Old
03-02-2007, 12:28 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Kevin Lowe hoodwinked everyone.

If he was talking about how he approached Smyth and Meehan over the summer to start contract negotiations, then why did he wait to sign all his other RFAs first before even beginning negotiations with Smyth. To me, that doesn't make sense, especially when RFAs are subject to compensation.

Second, Lowe knew that Smyth's asking price was initially in the 5 million dollar range. If Lowe didn't think that that price was going to go up after the deals Tanguay and Gagne got, he was dillusional.

Third, everyone agreed to wait until after the season to have talks with regards to signing Ryan. Ryan wanted to remain in Edmonton, so I don't think he would have split. I think he would have done a Patrik Elias and stay. A deal could have been negotiated - especially when you consider that it was $100,000 that was the difference in talks. Lowe knew that Smyth had made sacrifices to the Oilers franchise over the years, always taking below market paydays with the promise that they would look after him in the future. Why wouldn't the Oilers just pony up the $100,000 difference?

Personally, from an outsider looking, to me it was like Lowe was looking for an excuse to deal Smyth and he found it. I don't think Kevin ever wanted to get a contract done with him. As for attracting free agents, he's gonna be screwed there as well. Does he not think agents and players aren't going to notice how the heart and soul was ripped out of Edmonton over $100,000? He's painted himself into a corner and he might not be able to come out of it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
yup, i think that is clear.... they tried spending 7 million on chara last season.... the first major trade they made in the new CBA was for pronger.... lowe clearly has a preference for defenceman, and rightly so.... a team should be built from the goal out.... a goalie plays 60 minutes, great defenceman play 26-27 and great forwards play 22-23.... also, most "great" forwards do not play both the PP and the PK (this is an area that i think smyth will be missed btw, as he was a great PKer)

it simply makes more sense to spend your money on the backend... when you couple that with the fact our defence was simply terrible many nights, and will still be very young next year..... well, lets just say lowe would be an utter FOOL to not be trying his hardest to get a stud back there

and as well, i honestly believe that our forwards *should* be better next year.... of course anything can happen, but i would be surprised if all of horcoff, pisani, hemsky, torres, stoll and lupul have worst years again (as they all did this year in respect to last season).... add in the moreau injury just for emphasis as well, lol.... also, a good argument could be made that our forwards should (in theory anyhow) be a year farther along in their development next year ..... hemsky, lupul, stoll and torres should all be a year wiser and a year tougher.... ive never been called a guy who wears rose-coloured glasses, so this isnt blind optimism speaking.... to be honest, its almost statistically impossible for them to be worst as a group next year, the important question is how *much* better will they be?

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Other than Timmonen, I don't see another UFA possibility. Markov will be re-signed. Souray or Stuart? Please no!
Over the last couple of days Lowe has been hinting strongly at RFA offer sheets. Pitkanen? Phaneuf? Add in a middling UFA like Souray or Stuart and we'd be in good shape...

Edit: Snatching Phaneuf would be so gratifying on so many levels...

Last edited by rec28: 03-02-2007 at 12:55 AM.
rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
dharmaboy

Man the business side of the game sickens me. all the BS about RFA URFA and crap.

just play the game . You are fortunate to get paid cash to play a game you love. I would want to live comfortably and win the cup. I am a beer league player and thats all I would want.

oh well

dharmaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:00 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Over the last couple of days Lowe has been hinting strongly at RFA offer sheets. Pitkanen? Phaneuf? Add in a middling UFA like Souray or Stuart and we'd be in good shape...

everybody keeps saying make an RFA offer to phaneuf, but hes signed through next season.... hes not a RFA until the year after

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Soundwave

They may make an offer sheet on Pitkanen. It's probably fair game after what Clarke did last year. But I'm pretty sure Philly will match anything.

There aren't any dominant d-men availible IMO. We hit the jack pot with Pronger and got screwed over.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:17 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post

I think trading for an RFA is most likely. Philly isn't in cap trouble this summer, but they may pass on matching an offer sheet to Pitkanen if they sign Timmonen and Forsberg. Other than that, I don't know if there's a quality RFA defenseman on a cap strapped team.

Old
03-02-2007, 01:18 AM
hemmingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Kevin Lowe hoodwinked everyone.
Personally, from an outsider looking, to me it was like Lowe was looking for an excuse to deal Smyth and he found it. I don't think Kevin ever wanted to get a contract done with him. As for attracting free agents, he's gonna be screwed there as well. Does he not think agents and players aren't going to notice how the heart and soul was ripped out of Edmonton over $100,000? He's painted himself into a corner and he might not be able to come out of it.
As for attracting free agents - he already has the problem of travel, weather, and now a team clawing it's way back into the playoffs (next year?) - I'm thinking that, while it is an issue, it's not the primary one on the plate.

Edmonton is a weird team - it's almost like a cult. Some players thrive (Smyth,) and others wither (Comrie) under the constant media glare. The offseason will be interesting. I can see a few shocking deals coming up.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:14 AM
PunjabiOil*

Just watching the interview on prime-time sports on sportsnet

Didn't want to give No trade clause, but because of Smyth's popularity, he gave him one for the first time in organization's history

Admits from ''their side'' that not getting a deal done last summer may have affected them.

Smyth is a good player, but not elite.

We had a hard time coming up with a number on how much to pay him (paraphrasing), which is why it didn't get done last summer.

"We have our budget issues here in Edmonton.'' Immediately corrected himself ''our cap issues''

^ Just pissed me off.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Soundwave

We should have just traded Pronger for Luongo or Lecavalier in the summer and accepted no less than that.

One superstar for another superstar. This whole "depth" thing doesn't seem to me like it really works that well under the salary cap, because you're always going then have RFAs that want a raise every 2-3 years.

Get one superstar, get one second banana (which we have in Hemsky), and go from there.

Unfortunately I look at the crop of RFAs, UFAs, and players that might be availible this summer and it doesn't seem nearly as enticing as the last two summers.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:19 AM
PunjabiOil*

''Hopefully someday he will come back. He was very disappointed''

''Regarding this summer I can't comment on that''

''He wanted to finish his career here with one team like Steve Yzerman''

''getting immune to criticism - used to it for 6-7 years''

''not a popularity contest''

''active in the unrestricted free agent market, or trade our assets. 3 draft picks.''

''it's not that we don't have the resources - it's not that we can't have an 8 or 9M player in the near future - it's just a decision we made''

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:31 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'll say this...Lowe certainly is planting some heavy hints he's going to be a player in the summer.

Let's see if his rear end can cash the cheques his mouth is writing.
He'd damn better, or the entire fanbase is going to want his head on a stick...me definitely being one of them.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:39 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Lowe has a great history of being able to move up on draft day
It'll be much easier with 3 1st Round Picks this year and with all the assets we have, now won't it?!

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote