HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ref complaining: A catch-all thread!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
  #126
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySaviour View Post
Until the referees are held accountable for sucking, teams are always going to get screwed. The NHL has no discernable system in place for reviewing a refs performance, and it's policies for holding refs accountable are non-existant. The NFL reviews their refs performance after every game, issues fines for blantantly muffed calls, and actually admits when the officials make a mistake.

The officiating in the NHL is a lot like most of the league- it's a big "Old Boys Club", where once you're in, it doesn't matter what you do anymore. Haha my dad played with Paul Stewart on in prep hockey, but man there wasn't a more biased official in any sport than good 'ol Stewie. He's just a prime example of a poor referee that was never held in check, never brought to task for anything he did. It's the same today though- the refs are never held accountable for anything, and we're never going to see consistantly well-ref'd games until they start holding the officials responsible on a game-by-game basis.

And if you guys thought you got jobbed on the MAF call, wait until a team scores a go ahead goal with 6 skaters on the ice. This entire season has been one pitifully ref'd game after another.
EXACTLY.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:23 AM
  #127
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not arguing that one way or another. The play in question, it was the timing of the incident more than anything that led to the call. That is all that I am saying.
Again, now that ive really looked everything up and am not just going by what you say happened (i didnt remember the total # of penalties called) The timing of the play really is even more annoying as a ranger fan than anything. the pens didnt even deserve a makeup call now that i look at it. they were called for 1 penalty during the period, and that was ~10 seconds before we were called for one. thats totally bogus, makeup calls happen when a team is getting shafted with calls, like having 5-2 or 6-2 as a margain for penalties being called. at that point the calls were 4 penalties for you, and 3 for us.

there was literally NO reason for a makeup call at that point, not unless you honestly think the call against Roberts wasnt legit (And youd lose all credibility w/ me if thats the case). if anything the Rangers deserved a few makeup calls for the call against Mara where Roberts picked him off and that led to the trip and the half dozen plus missed picks till that point.

im sorry dude, you really dont have a leg to stand on. even if we ignore the fact that the call was laughable when you consider the circumstances of the call (a ref 50 feet away overruling a ref 10 feet away staring at the play, and the fact that the call was made several seconds after the play in question occurred) , the facts are, at that point the was no reason for a makeup call, you stated that was the pens 3rd straight call in the period, it wasnt, it was their first call in the period. there was no noticeable difference in the amount of penalties called (in fact there was a noticeable difference in the amount of penalties NOT called), etc.

Want something to argue with me about? argue that Spada gave Ruutu an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that should have been washed w/ Avery. Id agree with you there (and agree that the euro-canadian bias was in full effect on that one) but to call it a makeup call is just laughable.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:23 AM
  #128
SteelCitySaviour
Registered User
 
SteelCitySaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am not arguing that one way or another. The play in question, it was the timing of the incident and refs hatred of deciding games with calls as the game is winding down more than anything that led to the call. That is all that I am saying. Have you ever seen the refs swallow the whistle the last five minutes of a game? This was basically along those lines.
What's the point of calling penalties the other two periods if all of a sudden the rules go out the window in the 3rd though? If a play merits a call, it merits a call- it shouldn't matter what the time or the score is. If a guy goes out and busts his hump to a lose puck or while forechecking, and the other team is forced to take a penalty...why the need to even it up with an arbitrary call? The very fact that the refs choose to even things up, or even to swallow the whistle completely actually factors into them deciding the outcome of a game, because instead of the situations on the ice being dictated by the actions of the two teams, it instead becomes the interruptations of what the refs deem "fair".

Call the game the same, no matter who's on the ice or what the scoreboard says. Then there won't be a need for these threads, and we can instead focus on Swedish players and their propensity for falling down or losing the puck during shootouts.

SteelCitySaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
  #129
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 34,592
vCash: 500
I am just telling you how the end of games are called more often than not Inferno. Though admittedly I am pretty Jaded about such things. It is in my name. Getting riled about it does no good. It has been this way for as long as I can remember.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:27 AM
  #130
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCitySaviour View Post
What's the point of calling penalties the other two periods if all of a sudden the rules go out the window in the 3rd though? If a play merits a call, it merits a call- it shouldn't matter what the time or the score is. If a guy goes out and busts his hump to a lose puck or while forechecking, and the other team is forced to take a penalty...why the need to even it up with an arbitrary call? The very fact that the refs choose to even things up, or even to swallow the whistle completely actually factors into them deciding the outcome of a game, because instead of the situations on the ice being dictated by the actions of the two teams, it instead becomes the interruptations of what the refs deem "fair".

Call the game the same, no matter who's on the ice or what the scoreboard says. Then there won't be a need for these threads, and we can instead focus on Swedish players and their propensity for falling down or losing the puck during shootouts.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:29 AM
  #131
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am just telling you how the end of games are called more often than not Inferno. Though admittedly I am pretty Jaded about such things. It is in my name.
well, im well aware how games tend to play out, i watch about ~100 games a year, and i even analyze what i see on my site, with that said, i dont think i can ever recall something like what Spada did there. thats almost on par with what McGeough did to the Oilers in November if you ask me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:47 AM
  #132
FlowerPower
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
well, im well aware how games tend to play out, i watch about ~100 games a year, and i even analyze what i see on my site, with that said, i dont think i can ever recall something like what Spada did there. thats almost on par with what McGeough did to the Oilers in November if you ask me.
i dont see the two calls as being on the same level.... maybe somewhat related in that they are bad calls but not equal.

FlowerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:54 AM
  #133
cascar86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Honestly, yes, I am a Penguins fan and yes, I just recently registered, but I feel like something needs to be cleared up. As per the NHL rules, a goaltender interference is to be called whether or not the goalie is inside or outside the crease:

Quote:
In all cases in which an attacking player initiates other than incidental contact with a goalkeeper, whether or not the goalkeeper is inside or outside the goal crease, and whether or not a goal is scored, the offensive player will receive a penalty (minor or major, as the Referee deems appropriate).
Quote:
(NOTE 3) A goalkeeper is not "fair game" just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.
http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule78.html

From what I remember (as far as I know, there's no video of this on the internet yet), Fleury was in the butterfly making a save when he got hit so the argument that he was the one to initiate conflict is nonexistent.

As for the tanking crap, I think the Penguins legally filed for bankruptcy a few years back. Pretty hard to keep high priced players when you don't have any money.

I'm not trying to be a troll here, I'm just trying to show the game through the Pens fans' view.

cascar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:55 AM
  #134
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
i dont see the two calls as being on the same level.... maybe somewhat related in that they are bad calls but not equal.
i didnt say equal, just similar in their bizareness. both refs called the play from a much farther position than a ref who was right near the play in question. both refs got the call wrong, both calls directly impacted the course of the game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:58 AM
  #135
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascar86 View Post
Honestly, yes, I am a Penguins fan and yes, I just recently registered, but I feel like something needs to be cleared up. As per the NHL rules, a goaltender interference is to be called whether or not the goalie is inside or outside the crease:





http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/rulebook/rule78.html

From what I remember (as far as I know, there's no video of this on the internet yet), Fleury was in the butterfly making a save when he got hit so the argument that he was the one to initiate conflict is nonexistent.

As for the tanking crap, I think the Penguins legally filed for bankruptcy a few years back. Pretty hard to keep high priced players when you don't have any money.

I'm not trying to be a troll here, I'm just trying to show the game through the Pens fans' view.
welcome to the board. both of your quotes prove our point. that wasnt a penalty. the goalie initiated the contact by leaving his crease and going directly into the path of blair betts by doing so.

Blair couldnt do anything about it. if anything, it defines interference to a T.

Quote:
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:05 AM
  #136
cascar86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
That's a really weak argument. A goalie, leaving the crease by a FOOT in the butterfly position making a save has every right to be there. One of your posters above says Betts could have gotten out of the way, and no Penguin skater even came close to pushing him. If Betts moves, there's no penalty to call and nothing to complain about in regards to this. As far as I'm concerned, it's Betts's own fault.

cascar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:13 AM
  #137
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascar86 View Post
That's a really weak argument. A goalie, leaving the crease by a FOOT in the butterfly position making a save has every right to be there. One of your posters above says Betts could have gotten out of the way, and no Penguin skater even came close to pushing him. If Betts moves, there's no penalty to call and nothing to complain about in regards to this. As far as I'm concerned, it's Betts's own fault.
its time to find a replay of this and put it to rest once and for all. im tired, ill look for one in the morning.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:18 AM
  #138
SteelCitySaviour
Registered User
 
SteelCitySaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
welcome to the board. both of your quotes prove our point. that wasnt a penalty. the goalie initiated the contact by leaving his crease and going directly into the path of blair betts by doing so.

Blair couldnt do anything about it. if anything, it defines interference to a T.
He left the crease to make a save though, not to play the puck or anything like that. He was making a save and Betts ran into him after the save had been made. Legit call. Practically the same situation as the first period when Gary Roberts was trying to set a screen in front of the Rangers net and Henrik basically made the save in front of Roberts so he could see the puck. If Roberts ran into him there, would have been called as well. At least, it should have been...you never know with these clowns.

SteelCitySaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:21 AM
  #139
cascar86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
its time to find a replay of this and put it to rest once and for all. im tired, ill look for one in the morning.
Agreed.

cascar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:08 AM
  #140
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 18,894
vCash: 500
Anyone that went to the game, sue Spada, ask for a refund or something.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:37 AM
  #141
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Fleury came 5 feet out of the net INTO Betts' skating lane and initiated contact with him. Betts wasn't even looking at the guy! He was skating towards the boards to get the damn puck!

I mean, can you be any more biased? Any non moron would think that the call was BS.
Ya know what the funny thing is? If the call happened immediately, then I would have just taken it as bias towards hitting a goalie. It is a very fast game... but with the delay, I have to believe it was obvious. I would think the other ref would be able to speak with him. Ever notice a Pass inter call get turned over after they had a discussion in football? That should have happened here...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:52 AM
  #142
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
its time to find a replay of this and put it to rest once and for all. im tired, ill look for one in the morning.

Agreed. This is a no win situation, even though we are right the Rangers got screwed tonight, the Pen fans are calling us whiners, the rookie posters anyway. What happened happened its done, It wshould not have happened it was the wrong call.
Hopefully when we play them next time one Avery Or Orr will really run Flurey and than there will really be a legit interferance call.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:15 AM
  #143
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
As long as the railing ref makes calls where the other offical is standing no more than 10 feet away this will be the kind of game calling you will see. It is nonsense that this goes on all the time. The idea of the 2nd ref was to watch and catch stuff away from the puck. The trailing refs don't do that. That is the NHL's fault.

Saying all that, you still don't give up 2 SHGs. The 1st unit should be sat down. Look at all of the games where we lost leads and you will see the 1st PP unit on the ice when the mo shifted. Even last night, the 1st unit was playing around with the puck and lost it, which led to the 1st shg.

Sad that after toots goes out your best dman is a rookie. Tells you everything you need to know.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:41 AM
  #144
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,400
vCash: 500
Oh dear god, I just saw the Betts-MAF play.

Rofflecakes at the call.

Spada should be asked some questions by the NHL IMO. The other ref was like 10 feet away and didn't call anything.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:20 AM
  #145
GLM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
there were numerous bad calls. on both teams. being a pens fan i thought MAF enhanced the call a bit. but refs missed a huge crosscheck right infront of them TWICE. once on recchi and once on roberts, but then managed to call roberts for a hook.

the refs really need to start calling penalties that are penalties. anytime a player touches another with a stick its a hook, but i forget it may have been malone, he hooked the SH IT out of jags and nothing was called.

refs as a whole need to get better.

couldnt believe the pens stole 2pts last night. rangers handing them those two shorties was unexcusable.

that kinda loss can sink a squad.

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
  #146
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,612
vCash: 674
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac003 View Post
there were numerous bad calls. on both teams. being a pens fan i thought MAF enhanced the call a bit. but refs missed a huge crosscheck right infront of them TWICE. once on recchi and once on roberts, but then managed to call roberts for a hook.

the refs really need to start calling penalties that are penalties. anytime a player touches another with a stick its a hook, but i forget it may have been malone, he hooked the SH IT out of jags and nothing was called.

refs as a whole need to get better.

couldnt believe the pens stole 2pts last night. rangers handing them those two shorties was unexcusable.

that kinda loss can sink a squad.
I would agree with you sir. Refs did make mistakes on both ends. However, we as Rangers fans should not make excuses for our team. We didnt lose this one because of the refs.

We lost it because of our own inability to hold a lead. Renney should not have went with 4 forwards on the PP when we were up 2-0. Rozsival should not have pinched in so far. Lundqvist made a bad mistake, it happens.

However, we got a point, and we can still play better. So Im looking forward to Saturday.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
  #147
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Pens fans have to understand the kind of "questionable" officiating that the Rangers have been a vicitim of for the past 2 weeks. I really try hard not to buy into conspiracy theories, but there's a lot of evidence to support an argument of bias.

Even officiating this bad isn't an excuse to throw away a game that the Rangers had in the palms of their hands. They just found a way to lose it once again. It's practically comical.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:38 AM
  #148
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
The Betts call was absolutly brutal, especially considering there was a ref all of 10 feet from the play and there wasnt a call made untill the Pens players threw their hands in the air and then the trailing ref made the call. This after both players who were tangled (Betts/MAF) had separated and Betts made it to the corner allowing a few seconds to tick off. Bad call, but not the reason why they lost.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:46 AM
  #149
GLM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I would agree with you sir. Refs did make mistakes on both ends. However, we as Rangers fans should not make excuses for our team. We didnt lose this one because of the refs.

We lost it because of our own inability to hold a lead. Renney should not have went with 4 forwards on the PP when we were up 2-0. Rozsival should not have pinched in so far. Lundqvist made a bad mistake, it happens.

However, we got a point, and we can still play better. So Im looking forward to Saturday.
blowing the 2g lead was rough cant do that on a playoff run. pens stole 2pts deserving none. cant return them though.

glad to see we agree the refs need to get better.

well wont bother yinz anymore.

take care

GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
  #150
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,742
vCash: 500
the rangers have two oppositions to face in every game. the other team and the refs.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.