HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fear and Loathing in Oil Country

Old
03-01-2007, 11:31 PM
21Gator*

vCash: 500
Fear and Loathing in Oil Country

We were somewhere on the edge of the playoffs when our team broke down. Our heart was ripped out to be sure. A team eight to the bad and none to the good in 120 minutes of play needs more than a heart, it needs some courage.

Lowe's biggest mistake may have been not gutting the team entirely. Meaning moving any number of Sykora, Jussi, Tjarnqvist, Winch, Toby. He may regret not trying bring in a stop gap for the last 20 games.

I can't imagine that he intends to throw games. A man that competes on that level isn't built like that. Not by how he talks, and he's scheduled to be on the big breakfast (tomorrow I think). He's campaigning to save his ass. Which is an easy sell if we play okay hockey. This is not okay hockey. This is embarassing.

I want to see Nilsson and Schremp if we don't plan on being goal scorers. We need to bring some kind of electricity to our fair city. Too many plumbers, and we lost our only electrician. Waive somebody.

The weirdness could become strange real quick. And I fear for our leader. He is not perfect, but he makes you believe in something, something bigger than ourselves. And he is truly capable of this job.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Raoul Duke*

Easy there, Hunter.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:40 AM
PunjabiOil*

My buddy was at the game today.

Said by the 3rd period, half the people left.

It may be real easy to get a ticket next year in Oiler country.

1200 people on the season ticket waiting list? Meh - I'm sure most of them changed their minds. Especially with the 5% increase.

There won't be any excitement coming into a new season like last year.

This is the same city in which 1500 people cancelled their season tickets immediately after Sather's firing (resignation).

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:45 AM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post

1200 people on the season ticket waiting list? Meh - I'm sure most of them changed their minds. Especially with the 5% increase.

This is the same city in which 1500 people cancelled their season tickets immediately after Sather's firing (resignation).
if i was as negative as you i'd have a gun to my head by 10 in the freaking morning. i was at the game tonight and half the people had not left. completely false.

your posts the last while have lost all sense of objectivity. kevin lowe could give you a hundred dollars and you'd complain that the bill isn't crisp enough. go be negative somewhere else.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:14 AM
hfboardsuser

The Edmonton Oilers are suffering from the lack of a transition game. No, just not our transition on the ice. Which, by the way, is to be ridiculed, laughed at, and pitied. No. Our franchise has never had a fruitful rebuild.

Oh yes, we've sucked, and come into the draft with low draft picks. The dearly departed Mr. Smyth was of course brought into the organization that way. But Barry Fraser's wisdom, and by that I do mean lack thereof, meant we never stockpiled the assets every team needs to build off of.

It's very much like my hand, which I cut with a kitchen utensil: instead of seeking urgent medical assistance, I employed the help of a wad of tissue paper and scotch tape. So, not only did I not go get stitches for a wound which clearly needed them, but I used the worst dressing material possible and in fact made a bad situation worse.

But I'm not here to tell you all about my culinary catastrophes. I'm here to lament on the failure of our drafting, which has had a far worse effect than most have wrapped their head around.

A simple example of how it's done right can be seen in Joe Nieuwendyk's career. A high pick in '85, when it became too rich to keep him, the Flames shelved him off for kid wonder Jarome Iginla. Had our souther neighbours bjorked the pick, not only do they not reap the offensive rewards Nieuwendyk provided, but they miss out on the additional asset.

This team has not been in a position to do that. Ever. Thanks to the failure of our early 90's picks, not only did we flounder in bolstering the lineup, we left the cupboard dry of tradeable assets.

That's why the Smyth trade is encouraging. There is no doubt it's one of the most painful moments in our history. But for the first time ever, this team has decided they want to rebuild and have put the proper staff in place to do it right.

We were, as we've seen over the past ten years, doomed to be stuck in the NHL's version of purgatory: consistently just-good-enough. We've further submarined this team's chances of becoming dominant once again by doing the 15th overall dance for as long as we did.

Lowe deserves credit for having finally had the n/guts to make this team bad. We needed it. If I wanted to, I could have my ugly hand scar fixed- but the plastic surgeon would need to cut my hand back open to do it. And that would hurt. And there's a risk it turns out worse than before. But it's not going to get any less ugly unless I try that.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:25 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
if i was as negative as you i'd have a gun to my head by 10 in the freaking morning. i was at the game tonight and half the people had not left. completely false.
That's what I was told. Don't shoot the messenger

Is the rest of the post negative or just reality? Dispute it if you must.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

I think the goal for management in the summer will be to do what they did in summer 2005 and bring in a big name.

It's not going to be easy, but at some point, you have to bite the bullet, trade some assets you don't want to trade, and go for it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:06 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

Is the rest of the post negative or just reality? Dispute it if you must.

He is right half the people hadn't left, I was actually surprised how many people were there.

Minnesota has never been a huge draw anyway and the building was still 90% full.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 03:04 AM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
don't be the messenger unless you get your facts right. it's like crying wolf. not cool.

i agree with mr bugg completely. this is the first step in a long process that could be expedited with the proper personnel moves in rebuilding this team. we have the tools and we have the prospects to get it done. 3 first round picks, a lot of prospects, and what should be a lot of cap room should be able to get you a little something this off-season so lets see what happens this summer.

also in terms of rebuilding this team, i believe it was bob stauffer that said it on his show today, we need to look at creating an identity. this team lost its identity once craig mactavish took over as coach. we were no longer the up-tempo team that could punish a team, we weren't a run-and-gun team, we aren't a grinding team, we aren't a transition team, and we aren't even a trapping team cuz our players don't know how to do it properly. our stanley cup run last year, our team wasn't known to do anything spectacular either. it just did enough to get us there and almost win it. management needs to figure out how they want to play the game and go build the future for it. klowe seems to want to play up-tempo grabbing some guys with talent and speed for it while mact wants to play a defensive game playing guys like petersen, thoreson, and reasoner over skill guys like lupul, sykora, or torres on the pp (mind you they are slumping hardcore).

so either A. get the right guys for the style you want to play or B. get the right coach to coach the style you want to play. let's get on the same page and make next season a more enjoyable season than this one.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 04:16 AM
Tekneek

I am surprised he didn't just clean house with any of the guys he wasn't going to bring back for next year. Move them for anything. A low round draft pick or anything. After all, his philosophy is get something instead of losing them for nothing, right? There are a few guys on the roster that will very likely walk away on July 1 for nothing that he kept that he surely could have gotten SOMETHING for. No reason for that to happen.

Best I can guess is that he totally underestimated the way the team would implode after shipping Smyth out for futures.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote