HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth's Worth: A comprehensive analysis.

Old
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
gr8haluschak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredoiler View Post
Just because I don't agree woth you doesn't warrent insults. you insults show how you lack maturity and intelligence.

BTW, did you actually read the article I linked for are you just being ignorant?
No I stopped reading after your second sentance where you said that Smyth should have been given priority last year over our free agents because that is a stupid thing to do. We need those guys to be signed so they can play there is nothing more to it.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:37 PM
caynetra

Move along folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Why Lowe made the right choice.
What choice are you refering to?
The choice to not sign him last summer. The choice to delay trading him until the LAST MINUTE. The Choice to mislead himself, Smyth and us into all thinking this would and could get done. The choice to only canvase a small handful of teams to trade to. The choice to do the deal on the eve of his best buddies once in a life time moment. So what are you even talking about..it is up to interpretation.

In fact most of your points are meaningless as they assume that a players value to a given team is based on what other players are worth. Comparable players are only meaningful to Smyth as he decides what are my peers making? A players value to a team depends on thier own budget and that players contribution in respect to his own roster. You have just wasted everyone's time all while painting youself as a rigid and argumentative poster. Thanks.

caynetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:52 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by caynetra View Post
The choice to not sign him last summer.
I seem to think that two people had to sign a contract

Quote:
The choice to delay trading him until the LAST MINUTE.
Why would you try to negotiate and try to get the deal done and keep him here, oh sorry I forgot that it is much better to throw in the towel four days before

Quote:
The Choice to mislead himself, Smyth and us into all thinking this would and could get done.
Umm hold on who rejected the deal ? Smyth himself did. Added to that Lowe bent over backwards and game into just about ever damn thing Smyth wanted but you are right it was a big ploy to fool all of us

Quote:
The choice to only canvase a small handful of teams to trade to.
He talked to seven teams that we know of, tell me how many more teams are going to want a rental player and could afford to take him on and have the assets to give back?

Quote:
The choice to do the deal on the eve of his best buddies once in a life time moment.
When was he supose to do it ? oh I forgot it was Lowe's fault that the trade deadline was that day

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Asiaoil

Smyth is a great supporting player - maybe the best in the NHL - but fact is we have lots of these players on the roster (granted not as good) and signing Smyth would have eliminated our ability to obtain a true elite player for Smyth to support (like Pronger last year). Keeping Smyth would have only insured mediocity going forward.

We made our bed going forward with the Hemsky deal last summer - he is our top winger and we can't afford two making above $5 million and still get the goaltending, defense and supporting players we need to win. Love Smyth's game but do the math. There is also no way he keeps up this year's performance going forward into his mid 30s - his upside is well know and defined by his career averages based on a good long record.

The new young core is Hemmer, Stoll, Torres, Pouliot, Smid and a young dman or two to be determined. This core is supported by solid vets like Moreau, Staios, Pisani and Horcoff who are signed longterm. Lupul is probably toast this summer and Smith (the last Sather guy) will not last past trade deadline 2008. Add an elite dman to this group and I'm much more comfortable with that than re-signing Smyth to almost $6 million a year until he is 36 (his career averages, injury history and plain common sense dictate he will be a much lesser player by the time that contract reaches its end).

Edit - add to this that the young core will not be ready to win until the mid-later part of Smyth's contract when his performance will likely decline but his cap hit will still be huge - the whole contract was just out of step with where the team is going post-Pronger.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
imkinger

Quote:
What choice are you refering to?
The choice to not sign him last summer. The choice to delay trading him until the LAST MINUTE. The Choice to mislead himself, Smyth and us into all thinking this would and could get done. The choice to only canvase a small handful of teams to trade to. The choice to do the deal on the eve of his best buddies once in a life time moment. So what are you even talking about..it is up to interpretation.

In fact most of your points are meaningless as they assume that a players value to a given team is based on what other players are worth. Comparable players are only meaningful to Smyth as he decides what are my peers making? A players value to a team depends on thier own budget and that players contribution in respect to his own roster. You have just wasted everyone's time all while painting youself as a rigid and argumentative poster. Thanks.
"In fact most of your points are meaningless as they assume that a players value to a given team is based on what other players are worth."

Oh man, that is a frickin gem.

PS

"Feel free to object to any of the points I have made in a logical manner; else wise I will not bother to respond. Just keep your "Smyth is worth 6 million to the Oilers because he's great arguments" to yourself, they don't add anything to the debate."

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:33 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Hey all Isles fan here jts wanted to start by saying you guys are the classiest fans on these boards. I have been reading the thoughts about ryan Smyth and how much he is worth. I agree with both sides of the battle. But, looking from NYI perspective, I think we would overpay for him becuase this organization needs a face like his. Gritty, gutsy, passionate player who works his as soff eveyday. To the NYI, he means over spending becuase the franhcise will truly have a face to the organization. He would be loved by NYI. I know you guys love him, but his need to this org may be more thats why for the overpayment. I hope it made some sort of sense.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:33 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
Smyth is a great supporting player - maybe the best in the NHL - but fact is we have lots of these players on the roster (granted not as good) and signing Smyth would have eliminated our ability to obtain a true elite player for Smyth to support (like Pronger last year). Keeping Smyth would have only insured mediocity going forward.
Smyth goes up against "true elite players" on a nightly basis and outscores them. That makes him a supporting player? Absolutely not. The ripple effect is already evident.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Smyth goes up against "true elite players" on a nightly basis and outscores them. That makes him a supporting player? Absolutely not. The ripple effect is already evident.
Let's not get into pointless arguments trying to quantify what is and what isn't an elite player.

The bottom line is that the players I listed are the best comparables for what kind of dollars Smyth should command in a long term deal. Every single one of those guys has outscored Smyth over the course of their careers, and they are signed for less money and in some cases for shorter terms.

Old
03-02-2007, 10:02 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Let's not get into pointless arguments trying to quantify what is and what isn't an elite player.

The bottom line is that the players I listed are the best comparables for what kind of dollars Smyth should command in a long term deal. Every single one of those guys has outscored Smyth over the course of their careers, and they are signed for less money and in some cases for shorter terms.
Outscored? Head to head? No, and that's what's important. How many of those players you mentioned play tougher minutes than Smyth? How many are ninth in the league in this vital stat: http://www.behindthenet.ca/player_pens.html? How many screen the goalie as well as Smyth (generating a power play goals for average far higher than his PPP/hour should indicate)?

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 10:20 PM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Outscored? Head to head?
Outscoring (5th):

Smyth: 3.61 | 3.15 | +0.46
Arnott: 4.04 | 2.95 | +1.08
Sullivan: 4.20 | 3.08 | +1.12
Koivu: 2.66 | 2.41 | +0.25
Brind'Amour: 3.61 | 3.02 | +0.59
Alfredsson: 4.39 | 2.12 | +2.27
St Louis: 3.47 | 3.53 | -0.06

Quote:
How many of those players you mentioned play tougher minutes than Smyth?
Relative to the quality of players on the teams they play: 2.

Tough minutes (relative opponent rating - 3rd):

Smyth: 0.0361
Arnott: 0.0284
Sullivan: 0.0362
Koivu: -0.0094
Alfredsson: 0.0594
Brind'Amour: -0.0040
St Louis: -0.0064

Quote:
How many are ninth in the league in this vital stat: http://www.behindthenet.ca/player_pens.html?
One? Is this some sort of trick question? Only Smyth is ninth in the league in that "vital stat".

Quote:
How many screen the goalie as well as Smyth (generating a power play goals for average far higher than his PPP/hour should indicate)?
Interesting assertion, I guess then Smyth's on ice PP +/- per hour (not points) would be a lot better than the players I compared him to?

Smyth: +6.73
Arnott: +7.24
Sullivan: +6.34
Koivu: +8.34
Alfredsson: +4.68
Brind'Amour: +5.53
St Louis: +7.03

Nope (4th).

Can you say "middle of the pack"?

Last edited by imkinger: 03-02-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old
03-03-2007, 01:06 AM
OYLer

How overcooked and burnt is your Golden Goose... ? ! ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
...I'd urge you all to check out the blog A Theory of Ice. There's a fantastic post up right now about Smyth. And it's written by a Habs fan.
Thank you Injektilo, for the heads-up, definitely this blog entry should get bonus points for going into OT and lighting-it-up in the Shootout.

Unfortunately, for an 'old-time' hockey purists like me "that golden sea of light and shadow," that enormous shifting pile of gritty quicksilver has become nothing more than an accummulated mountain of our money - misused. Hockey fans, the most important of stakeholders, we who every year fork over our heart & soul cash committments, need not your offerings of bland bread, nor want the alternative of inconsistent and unruly circuses.

We lovers of the live ice, the working wallets who plunk down our hard-earned dinero to finance the Owners' Arena Complexes and deliver onto our hockey heroes their handsome warriors' wages. Professional athletes, they say, are in the business of entertainment. Entertainment manifests itself trading upon the dreams of its audience. The best weavers of dream ply their craft, knowing the more respect they have for their customers, the more they craft their products for their target customer base, the more their offerings will sell. This will happen whylst they craftily command the highest of prices and earn the best possible return on their investment.

To the NHL hockey's 'movers & shakers' I say, "Beware the Ides of March." Feed well the golden goose, lest that fanning fleece lose its luster. Professional hockey is an active and changing mythology, and every year, eventually, 29 teams and their respective fans must cross over that river Styx into a hockey Hades.

Coinage having long since been placed on the eyes and in the the mouths of we newly deceased fans. We mire mortals must purchase prepayment for the almost inevitable passage over the River Styx - year after year. Once there, these payers of the toll, must again and again, willingly choose to drink from those murky waters of the Lethe, the river of forgetfulness.

Perhaps these modern day Charons (collectors at the toll gate), these charlatan riverboat Captains think these payments (season ticket deposits, PPV commitments, branded merchandising, etc.) blinds our deadfish eyes, and mute our hooked mouths, leaving we fans all to ready to spit-up payment. I speak of that great contented collective: of the NHL Governors, of Owners & their Management, the denizens of Officiating, and the the Players of privelge & their agents, all whom so richly benefit, from the Fleecing of the Fans, know that, your stewardship and tending to, even the basic needs, of your great Golden Goose is sorely lacking.

Dreams need reconizable leading men, good guys sprouting positive sound bytes, High Definition action, to build that fragile vicarious identity. A shared vision which would continue to entice our voluntary inclusion into that entertaining DreamQuest - via that lucrative ongoing purchase of product. And, frankly, lame rationalizations eschewing 'hockey is a business' and sadly "it" really is 'All About the Benjamin$' only weakens our appetite for your fare & unfair. And all the while you excuse, the cashing-in and/or cashing-out by every and all of your fellow stakeholders. Except, of course, we fans, whom have to date, been too tolerant, and be-shilled by your sense of entitlement. Know now, such arrogant distain shall no longer be permitted.

Whatever you Devils got down to, when last you met at them crossroads, selling your souls to devise that dandy new CBA which so, unexpectedly, exceeded even your own avaricious, this planned plundering did not go unheeded. But still you made one fatal mistake. So greedily did you divides up the spoils of your mutual "diehard" victims ... maybe you forgot that the corpses, you gleefully denude and nailed up onto that Cross in Worship to the Almighty Dollar, we when bled too dry, too quickly, can and will become lifeless. Passed caring, deadbeat ex-fans, need not even raise-up, to goose you royally, right up your backsides, and at the tenderest of your most vulnerable of private parts, in the end, we shall shrivel your wallets.

Last edited by OYLer: 03-03-2007 at 05:09 PM. Reason: cleaning up the little errors
OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:57 AM
taternuts

Quote:
Outscoring (5th):

Smyth: 3.61 | 3.15 | +0.46 | +1.03
Arnott: 4.04 | 2.95 | +1.08 | +0.43
Sullivan: 4.20 | 3.08 | +1.12[/B] | +0.49
Koivu: 2.66 | 2.41 | +0.25 | +0.47
Brind'Amour: 3.61 | 3.02 | +0.59 | +1.20
Alfredsson: 4.39 | 2.12 | +2.27 | +1.97
St Louis: 3.47 | 3.53 | -0.06 | +0.20
I really like the comps you pulled up for Smyth. You may be a little unfair in comparing their 5v5 outscoring though by not using the +- relative to the team (Rating column on behindthenet.ca). I've taken the liberty of adding it in your quote.

Still the right neighbourhood to be looking at, but Smyth is 3rd instead of 5th.

Similarly, you should compare the players PP+- vs. the team's without said player. (Could you let me know where you found this, I'm too lazy to keep track of these things myself). That being said, I don't think it changes the main thrust of your point - Smyth is right in the middle of this particular pack.

Average contract for your comparisons: 5 years for $4.46 M.

This is probably the evidence that Lowe presented at the bargaining table. Next, what Smyth and Meehan brought.

taternuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:14 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouzar View Post
"Those that have said that Smyth was worth $6 million were wrong before, and are still wrong. He's not that good of a player."

But he IS this year.

And having a career year is often all that matters in new contract negotiations, whether it's right or not.

Unfortunately, for you, Oilers fans, and people that want to believe that he's worth $5.4 million and no more, he's not going to sign for less July 1.
Make sure to remember that it's $5.4 over 5 years. If he comes this summer and signs a 2 year, $12 million contract, it's not the same thing.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:16 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Hey all Isles fan here jts wanted to start by saying you guys are the classiest fans on these boards. I have been reading the thoughts about ryan Smyth and how much he is worth. I agree with both sides of the battle. But, looking from NYI perspective, I think we would overpay for him becuase this organization needs a face like his. Gritty, gutsy, passionate player who works his as soff eveyday. To the NYI, he means over spending becuase the franhcise will truly have a face to the organization. He would be loved by NYI. I know you guys love him, but his need to this org may be more thats why for the overpayment. I hope it made some sort of sense.

I find it somewhat ironic that this comment was made in a thread where Oilers fans are mudslinging at each other

Old
03-03-2007, 04:10 AM
taternuts

And now, for Smyth's side of the story...

Here is a list of forwards currently earning >$5.0M (cap hits taken from Irish Blue's site, and stats taken from behindthenet.ca)

Player Cap Avg Rel 5v5 +- Rel 5v5 Opp
Havlat, Martin 6,000,000 2.96 0.0231
Forsberg, Peter 5,750,000 2.61 0.0346
Gagne, Simon 5,250,000 2.1 0.0403
Gaborik, Marian 6,333,333 1.24 0.0786
Sakic, Joe 5,750,000 1.2 0.067
Tkachuk, Keith 5,700,000 0.91 0.035
Iginla, Jarome 7,000,000 0.69 0.0041
Naslund, Markus 6,000,000 0.51 0.0035
Tanguay, Alex 5,250,000 0.49 0.0342
Hossa, Marian 6,000,000 0.36 0.009
Average "Elite" Player 5,903,333 1.31 0.0329

I've arbitrarily drawn a line in the sand to define an elite player; you have to be an out scorer while playing tougher than average competition. I don’t have any of the PP data, but I’d hazard a guess that these guys do all right with the man advantage.

Does Smyth fall in this category? Towards the lower end of the spectrum, but he definitely belongs in this conversation. In my mind, $5.5 probably would have been an over pay, and that’s on a 1 year contract. Smyth is having a career year shooting percentage wise, so is it really wise to assume he’ll continue with this level of outscoring for another 4 years?

Here are the rest of the players, whom I’m labelling as over paid:

Selanne, Teemu 6,000,000 1.5 -0.0353
Savard, Marc 5,000,000 1.07 -0.0143
Thornton, Joe 6,666,667 0.82 -0.0604
Briere, Daniel 5,000,000 0.74 -0.0117
Jokinen, Olli 5,250,000 0.62 -0.0056
Yashin, Alexei 7,415,067 0.38 -0.0783
Lecavalier, Vincent 6,875,000 0.38 -0.0375
Kovalchuk, Ilja 6,389,260 0.11 -0.0364
Richards, Brad 7,800,000 -0.02 0.0168
Nash, Rick 5,400,000 -0.06 0.0818
Sundin, Mats 6,333,333 -0.19 0.0278
Elias, Patrik 6,000,000 -0.39 -0.0661
Fedorov, Sergei 6,080,000
Bertuzzi, Todd 5,269,000
Average "Overpaid" Player 6,105,595 0.41 -0.0183

Behindthenet.ca doesn’t have anything on Fedorov or Bertuzzi (likely because they’re so bad putting the numbers up would make them cry). Elias and Sundin surprise me on this list, but other than that its what I’d expect.

taternuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:34 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taternuts View Post
And now, for Smyth's side of the story...

Here is a list of forwards currently earning >$5.0M (cap hits taken from Irish Blue's site, and stats taken from behindthenet.ca)

Havlat, Martin 6,000,000 2.96 0.0231
Forsberg, Peter 5,750,000 2.61 0.0346
Gagne, Simon 5,250,000 2.1 0.0403
Gaborik, Marian 6,333,333 1.24 0.0786
Sakic, Joe 5,750,000 1.2 0.067
Tkachuk, Keith 5,700,000 0.91 0.035
Iginla, Jarome 7,000,000 0.69 0.0041
Naslund, Markus 6,000,000 0.51 0.0035
Tanguay, Alex 5,250,000 0.49 0.0342
Hossa, Marian 6,000,000 0.36 0.009
Average "Elite" Player 5,903,333 1.31 0.0329

I've arbitrarily drawn a line in the sand to define an elite player; you have to be an out scorer while playing tougher than average competition. I don’t have any of the PP data, but I’d hazard a guess that these guys do all right with the man advantage.

Does Smyth fall in this category? Towards the lower end of the spectrum, but he definitely belongs in this conversation. In my mind, $5.5 probably would have been an over pay, and that’s on a 1 year contract. Smyth is having a career year shooting percentage wise, so is it really wise to assume he’ll continue with this level of outscoring for another 4 years?

Here are the rest of the players, whom I’m labelling as over paid:

Selanne, Teemu 6,000,000 1.5 -0.0353
Savard, Marc 5,000,000 1.07 -0.0143
Thornton, Joe 6,666,667 0.82 -0.0604
Briere, Daniel 5,000,000 0.74 -0.0117
Jokinen, Olli 5,250,000 0.62 -0.0056
Yashin, Alexei 7,415,067 0.38 -0.0783
Lecavalier, Vincent 6,875,000 0.38 -0.0375
Kovalchuk, Ilja 6,389,260 0.11 -0.0364
Richards, Brad 7,800,000 -0.02 0.0168
Nash, Rick 5,400,000 -0.06 0.0818
Sundin, Mats 6,333,333 -0.19 0.0278
Elias, Patrik 6,000,000 -0.39 -0.0661
Fedorov, Sergei 6,080,000
Bertuzzi, Todd 5,269,000
Average "Overpaid" Player 6,105,595 0.41 -0.0183

Behindthenet.ca doesn’t have anything on Fedorov or Bertuzzi (likely because they’re so bad putting the numbers up would make them cry). Elias and Sundin surprise me on this list, but other than that its what I’d expect.
Just to continue on that... Out of all those players, how many are signed to the age of 36?

And how many of those guys who are 36, are playing at a lower level than before they signed their current contract?

I love Smytty... but it's hard to justify paying him $4-5 mil at 36 years old... players generally see a pretty hefty drop in productivity at that age.

03-03-2007, 05:18 AM
imkinger

It's not really fair to compare a 5 year deal given to a 27 year Gagne and a 5 year deal given to a 32 year old Smyth. The comps I chose were from players that were all around Smyth's age at the time they signed their deals.

Last edited by imkinger: 03-03-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Old
03-03-2007, 05:31 AM
Teal392511

I think most agree that at what he was asking, it was probably going to be a slight overpayment according to an analysis of numbers. Whether one thinks intangibles are worth that kind of extra money, depends on the person and philosophy of building hockey teams.

What I am surprised about, was that it seemed Lowe never gave Smyth an ultimatum that he would in fact be traded if there was no contract reached by the deadline. I heard him say something to the effect of seeing the clock pass the deadline and thinking that he won't be traded. (Please fill in exact quote if you know it). It seemed there was a widespread notion that the trade deadline was not contract deadline.

Smyth brings intangibles, and so does Edmonton. Lowe should have made it more than clear to Smyth that he would be turning down his rarified status there, the fans, the city, the Messier ceremony, and have to face a crying PC at the airport. Say this is what we have to offer, why don't you mull it over for a night or two? I know people think that Smyth had already made up his mind to pull every penny from management, and you guys may be right, but still there is no question this guy didn't think he would be traded. There is no hiding the shock in him. Why didn't Lowe make the situation abundantly clear so that he had one last chance to take advise from the people around him?

I do think Lowe made a mistake in that. If it would have changed history, we'll never know...

Teal392511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:26 AM
alanschu

I wonder if he reconsidered as a result of Smyth holding firm and not budging on his number.

Old
03-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Tekneek

Why wouldn't Lowe mention it? It is also weird how some GMs were saying that they didn't even know Lowe was seriously looking to move Ryan. It's almost like the trade was also punitive.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:18 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
As we all know, saying you are going to take $X and do Y with it in the free agent market has blown up in some GMs faces over the past couple of summers when the numbers just didn't work out. Spend it better? Maybe that won't work out, but he certainly wasn't going to spend it this way. Even he can't guarantee that he will be able to do anything better with that money, or even be reasonably sure of it. If better means divided up amongst two players, then maybe. I don't see him landing somebody we all agree is going to bring something better than Smyth does/did for the same amount of money (but it *could* happen).
Maybe so, but to my eye, slightly overpaying for a UFA like Drury on say a 3 year contract + O'Marra + Nilsson + 1st rounder vs just Smyth is a complete no-brainer

Of course this assumes that you actually get a UFA...

Another way to look at it... would you overpay a UFA by $1.5M in exchange for buying those assets? I would.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Jinger

No Trade Clause

Great posts in this thread, especially the thread starter. You can count me in among the unpopular "pro-trade" gang. One thing that has seemingly flown under the radar is the fact that in addition to the exorbitant contract, Lowe was willing to give Smyth a no-trade clause (!!??!?!?).

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5297fd&k=62078

A NTC has a huge value to a player who certainly did not want to be traded. And in addition to that, he wanted more than 5.4 million? How many times in other sports have we seen players blackmail teams into controlling where they go by using their NTC? This contract was for 5 years and would take Smyth until the age 36. It has albatross written all over it.

I applaud Kevin Lowe for having balls the size of grapefruits to make this trade, given the huge public outcry that would ensue. However, I also agree that the return should have been better. I guess we shall see how the UFA shopping this summer goes and if those prospects actually pan out.

Jinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:29 AM
HOF

One thing that is really ticking me off about the media is how the portray this to "Another Oiler star Leaving because of $$"

In the past, the Oilers WANTED TO KEEP THE PLAYER, but they COULD NOT AFFORD IT.

in this case, the Oilers HAD THE MONEY, but didn't think he was worth it.

It really irks me when i always hear people say the Oilers were supposed to keep stars int he new CBA.

Those people who call in the radio shows and say this or post are so uneducated about hockey economics.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Why wouldn't Lowe mention it? It is also weird how some GMs were saying that they didn't even know Lowe was seriously looking to move Ryan. It's almost like the trade was also punitive.
Lowe had about 30 minutes before the trade deadline to get the deal going. He made as many calls as he could. Smyth was close to signing, and then balked, thank goodness.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Lowe had about 30 minutes before the trade deadline to get the deal going. He made as many calls as he could. Smyth was close to signing, and then balked, thank goodness.
Ducks GM Brian Burke says Edmonton counterpart Kevin Lowe asked him two days before the NHL trading deadline if he'd be interested in acquiring Ryan Smyth.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...c-f2b7511391c2

Sounds like he was already asking some GMs 2 days before the deadline, but was trying to keep a lid on it for some reason and didn't open it up to everyone (if we believe the GMs, who might just be doing some damage control when they found out what he went for).

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote