HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look ahead to next season

Old
03-02-2007, 12:32 PM
hemigod

vCash: 500
A look ahead to next season

Kevin Lowe has restocked the shelves with prospects in the last year with many of them on the cusp of being NHL ready.

IMO they will not be ready to play integral parts next season, but could be ready for "a cup of coffee".

So my question to Oiler fans would be are you willing to go into next season with a less than impressive line-up of

FA-----Horcoff----Hemmer

Torres---Stoll----Lupul

Moreau---Pouliot---Pisani

Jauques---Reasoner---Stortini

Smith----FA

Staios---Smid

Greene---Grebishkov(sp)

Roloson

JDD

assume your FA are in the ilk of a Petr Sykora and a Chris Phillips caliber

Or would you look to grow through serious growing pains next season and sub out players like Horcoff, Pisani, Smith, Reasoner and your FA and play guys like Schremp, Nilsson, Gilbert, Brodziak, Syvret and Cogliano.

We then have little in contracts going into the following summer and target Heatley and/or Iginla.

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
My Line up:

FA-Horcoff-Hemsky
FA-Stoll-Pisani
Torres-MAP-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini
Thoreson Brodziak

Fa-Smith
Fa-Staios
Hejda-Smid/Greb
Gilbert/Greb

Roli
JDD

Thats what i'd like to be. Sign a guy like Hartnell for about 3.7/yr for 3-4 years, sign a guy like Calder for about 1.2/yr for about 1-2 years.

Sign a guy like Lukowich or Hill or Modry or the same mold. Then sign a UFA D-man with the ability to QB the PP, but also play fairly hard minutes and not suffer. I very much doubt we see Timonen, Markov types here, as long as Philly and teams like that have 26 million ish in Cap room, no way we offer more....

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Soundwave

If worse comes to worse, I would sign Shannahan for 1 year.

Maybe even Guerin as well. We would then have a lot of cap flexibility in summer 2008 as well.

We will have to bite the bullet on a PP QB d-man though, there's almost no two ways around that. Philips may not make Edmonton his no.1 choice, but if you offer $500k more, well, then his tune might change.

It's time to bring Schremp and Neilsson up next year too IMO. You can't keep all your prospects in the AHL, the whole point of having so many prospects is so you can have talented players in your roster who save you cap money because they're on rookie deals.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
brownhornet

I wonder if the Oil would be better off signing 2-3 players in the 3-4 mill range? After this year, i'm of the feeling that depth is a good way to build a team.

brownhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Oilerdiehard

I am hoping they bring Hejda back as well. I have a feeling one of those FA's in your line up will be aquired through trade.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Soundwave

Even though Torres has dissapointed this year, we should sign him long term to a cheap deal now.

In 2-3 years it will look like a steal. It's too bad we couldn't actually do the same with Lupul or Stoll now.

Old
03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If worse comes to worse, I would sign Shannahan for 1 year.

Maybe even Guerin as well. We would then have a lot of cap flexibility in summer 2008 as well.

We will have to bite the bullet on a PP QB d-man though, there's almost no two ways around that. Philips may not make Edmonton his no.1 choice, but if you offer $500k more, well, then his tune might change.

It's time to bring Schremp and Neilsson up next year too IMO. You can't keep all your prospects in the AHL, the whole point of having so many prospects is so you can have talented players in your roster who save you cap money because they're on rookie deals.

A few things, Guerin and Shanahan are not gonna come cheap, both are having really good seasons (shanahan has dropped off), i say a minimum would have to be 3.5 for a multi year deal. #2, Schremp isn't ready, not even close, maybe at the end of next season, but yeah, not even close this season, he was having a horrible, HORRIBLE season this year before Nilsson, and even then its only been one game, no way in hell is he ready IMO. Phillips is going to be hard to sign, he is part of a very important Ottawa shut-down pair with A-Train, i'd say Redden is more available than Phillips.

Basically, we need someone like Pisani to come off the books, trade him to a team with alot of cap space, and package him with Lupul and get a Good D-man in return if need be, also include picks and prospects, if Pisani and Lupul come off the books, we have ALOT more flexibility, we just need a break IMO.

Old
03-02-2007, 12:57 PM
kwanjie

I'd spend the cash in D before I sign anybody 3+mil in the forward corps.

I'd go

Timmonen - Smith
Smid - Staios
Greene - Hejda
Grebishkov

kwanjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I am hoping they bring Hejda back as well. I have a feeling one of those FA's in your line up will be aquired through trade.
Yeah, im looking at a player like A-train, or Suter (these guys are cap strapped with Foppa, Timonen, Kariya and Hartnell as FA's), Ranger as someone said coming to town. I hope so, i really do, btw whats everyones thoughts on Klesla?? Is he a Franchise D-man??

Old
03-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Soundwave

Even if Guerin and Shannahan don't come cheap, they're only one year deals.

I think fans of the NHL really don't understand the implication of contract length in a cap system ... that is really what is the killer, not so much the per year hit. I find talking to fans of the NBA or NFL for instance, they just understand the ins and outs of a cap league, because the those sports have had a salary cap for much longer.

So you'll see deals prosposed maybe for players for the same exact cap number, but lets say one player has a year shorter on the contract .... that's a pretty huge deal actually.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-02-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
lupultheukie

I actually like that lineup, though it depends pretty heavily on the FA on the first defence pairing, and to a lesser extent, the winger. That said, not too bad of a lineup, until injuries decimate it like they did last year. Ideally by then we'd have schremp, brodziak, nilsson, and gilbert knocking heavily at the door.

lupultheukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Captain Pilsner

keep hejda!!!!!!!

lose pisani if it's worth it, i know he's overpaid but is still integral, no point trading for less just to clear cap space with this one

lose thoreson and peterson... and never find them again

I'm all for developing rookies, but if we're gonna have rookies in the lineup, make it brodziak/schremp/nilsson as opposed to those two, especially thoreson, he's not even good in his own zone

i'd like to see either one major free agent signing, or two medium ones (one each of forward and defense) or a trade. and focus on bringing up the youth

Captain Pilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Soundwave

Thoreson is alright. $500k for a decent 4th liner, with the right combo of youngsters we have coming up, he could find some chemistry with one of them at some point.

Old
03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
hemigod

Soundwave I do agree that signings of 1 yr deals are very valuable on a teams side, however players up in age( Shanny and Billy THe Butcher) probably would not be willing to do sign them here.

This is not a slight on Edmonton, just a statement of your 07/08 Oiler roster.

My take for next year is unless you can hit the homerun and trade for either Vinny L.
or Wade Redden then we should go very young and get ready for the summer of 08.

I

Old
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
hemigod

Actually I now wonder whether we may have the assets to aquire both Vinny and Redden.

To Tampa---Horcoff, Chorny and a 1st

To Ottawa---Smith and Cogliano\

Old
03-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Soundwave

If you're going to go super young next year, then you might as well sign Shannahan even at $4.5 million for one year.

We're way below the cap or even the EIG limit. Might as well get someone who can stabilize some of that youth, produce on the ice, and maybe give the team a reasonable shot at a playoff berth.

From a business P.O.V. you still have to sell some tickets next year after all, even if you're chalking it up as a "development" year.

I love Lecavalier but unless there is some ownership change there and the new ownership is insane, you won't get Lecav for anything less than a king's ransom. Also the length of his contract is worrisome .... he would be a UFA in 2 years. We need someone who's signed for at least 3 more, preferably 4-6 more years actually.

Old
03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
tips

a wildcard here really depends on whats happening with our farm.

If we have our own team (finally) or even a split, we will have greater control over the kids, get them to play oiler systems, be able to keep closer tabs on them instead of spreading the population of sherwood park around the continent to watch these guys.

it may not be a primary issue with the face of next years oiler team, but its probally the largest underlying issue there is.

if lowe wants to follow the "buffalo model" then our farm system has to be up to snuff, and its nowhere near there yet.....

tips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
NMK

We could sign 3 FAs this summer I believe. I'm not sure if we sign 2 left wingers (Torres is a solid 3rd liner, but a weak 2nd line guy). Or if we sign 2 defencemen.

I'm more inclined to go with the LWs, and sign a guy like Timonen if he is available. Markov, or Phillips after that. I think for the money, you'll be able to get better players on the wing than at defence.
Lupul MUST play on the 2nd line this year. He is a scorer not a chekcer and should not be used as one unless we want to put him in another situation where he will fail.
Pisani isn't a 2nd liner so leave him on the 3rd line with Pouliot and Moreau/Torres.
I honestly believe that our biggest problem this year was our 2nd line. We need to have 2 lines that are top quality and actually make opposing defences blink. Our 3rd and 4th lines are ok.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Soundwave

If we do "hoarde" our cap for another year I would offer Kipprusoff $7.5-$8 million next season and see if the Flames match.

Old
03-02-2007, 01:41 PM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If we do "hoarde" our cap for another year I would offer Kipprusoff $7.5-$8 million next season and see if the Flames match.
I was actually thinking about doing something similar with Dion and if they do match then targeting Iginla

Battle of Alberta is on!!!!

Old
03-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Soundwave

Phaneuf is a little bit tougher because he's a RFA.

Old
03-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Traktor*

I think the perfect compliment for Hemsky on LW would be Shanny. The guy knows how to find open ice to get off the 1-timer. One of the best 1-timers in the game and plays like Sykora in the way that he like to find the open lane for the 1-timer but is oposite in Sykora in that he plays a rough game. He wins pucks in the corners and can protect Hemmer from people taking runs at him. Sykora is great for Hemksy because he has the shot but so does Shanny and he bring everything else that Sykora doesn't. Shanny will score 40-50 goals playing with Hesmky and would be the guy I try and replace Smyth with on the LW.

Who is with me? Anyone else think Hemmer and Shanny are a match made in heaven?

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:44 PM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
Actually I now wonder whether we may have the assets to aquire both Vinny and Redden.

To Tampa---Horcoff, Chorny and a 1st

To Ottawa---Smith and Cogliano\

I honestly don't think it enough to go to Tampa. If we were to get a guy like Vinny in return we would have to move a Schremp, Torres, 1st kinda deal.

I think that the best way for this team to build will be via trades in the off season. High end free agents will get bloated contract offers from, I hate to admit it, but more APPEALING places then Edmonton. If a guy was offered, lets say 4 year $16M contract from three places, Chicago, Montreal, or Edmonton, I would presume that Edmonton would be the last pick for that player. It is going to be extremely hard to land a HIGH ticket FA, but, we do have ALOT of tools to make many deals.

Klowe is doing a fantastic job and was hand cuffed last season because of 25. He didnt want to excessivly pay an average blue liner so he held out and tried to work with what he had this year. I personally think that Klowe is going to suprise alot of people (the same way he did with Pronger and Peca for example) this off season. Just think of the long list of average to above average prospects we have in our system, not including the 3 first rounders we have in July.

Next season we will have a very different looking team and everyone will be very proud of what Klowe has accomplished, mark my words.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:45 PM
ogorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwanjie View Post
I'd spend the cash in D before I sign anybody 3+mil in the forward corps.

I'd go

Timmonen - Smith
Smid - Staios
Greene - Hejda
Grebishkov
I like this line up because if guys like Grebishkov, Gilbert and Syvret make a push and show that they can play #5-6 minutes regularly then it gives us the flexibility to move a dman during the season to fill another whole.

Ultimately I would like to see the oilers get Briere, Timmonen and Hartnell. I think this would allow us to move a guy like Horcoff (only reason I chose Horcoff is that I would rather stoll here) and greene for another dman (preferably) or a left winger

Thus our team would look like this

Hartnell - Briere - Hemsky
Torres - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - MAP - Pisani
Jaques - Brodziak/Reasoner - Stortini/Petterson/Thoreson

Timmonen - ???
Smid - Staois
Smith- Hejda
Grebishkov

One thing that is nice looking at this line up is that in 2-3 years we are gonna have a logjam of players with guys like Nilsson, O'Marra, Chorney, Gilbert, Shcremp, Cogliano looking all like good bets to play in the NHL

ogorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Soundwave

Shanny would be a decent 1 year rental.

But our main focus I think is going to be watching for contract disputes or unhappy players this summer. It happens every year. Florida did not want to deal Luongo, Colorado did not want to move Tanguay, but they were basically forced into it. That's also how we got Pronger.

I think we have to bide our time, but the moment this type of scenario arises again ... we must move on it.

Case in point, last year Philly was having such a hard time signing Gagne that we probably could've moved on that and traded Horcoff + Pisani for Gagne, and Clarke would've been dumb enough to do it.