HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look ahead to next season

Old
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
I was actually thinking about doing something similar with Dion and if they do match then targeting Iginla

Battle of Alberta is on!!!!
Absolutly TERRIBLE idea. Do you know how much we would have to give up if we offered Phaneuf a huge contract? It just slaps other GM's in the face as well, you do not target other teams RFA's. Respect would be lost by 29 other teams there fore no team would want to deal with us. Very bad move IMO.

IBleedOil247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Soundwave

Iginla or Kipper are fair game though.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:51 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
I honestly don't think it enough to go to Tampa. If we were to get a guy like Vinny in return we would have to move a Schremp, Torres, 1st kinda deal.
Lecavalier is LEADING THE LEAGUE in goals. There is zero chance he is dealt, especially for such a weak package.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
Actually I now wonder whether we may have the assets to aquire both Vinny and Redden.

To Tampa---Horcoff, Chorny and a 1st

To Ottawa---Smith and Cogliano\

you do realise that Lecavalier is second in the league in scoring. He is a superstar. You would have to add Hemsky and probably Smid to that deal to even remotely make it fair and even then it would be a rip off for the Oilers.

And for the Redden trade that's not even close as well. It really is amazing how Oiler fans overrate their players yet undervalue everyone else.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Soundwave

If we wanted Lecavalier last year was the time to get him for Pronger. In that case I definitely would not have signed Horcoff (trade him away for a slew of picks) or Sykora, and instead used that money to sign a d-man.

Old
03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Lessy

Forwards

FA (Hartnell - 3.5) - Horcoff (3.6) - Hemsky (4.1)
Torres (2) - Stoll (2.2) - Lupul (2.3)
Moreau (2) - Pouliot (0.9) - Pisani (2.5)
Jacques (0.6) - Reasoner (1) - FA (Mayers - 1.2)

Stortini (0.5)
Thoresen (0.6)

Forwards = 27 Million

Defence

Trade (Boyle - 3.6) - Smith (2)
Smid (0.7) - Staios (2.7)
Hejda (1) - FA (Sydor - 1.8)

Gilbert (0.6)
Grebeshkov (0.6)

Defence = 13 Million

Goalies
Denis (2.8)
Deslauriers (0.7)

Goalies = 3.5 Million

TOTAL 43.5 MILLION
I expect the cap to go up and I also expect Lowe to make a big trade this summer.

Sydor is a guy I want signed for a bottom pairing role. He can play a good number of minutes and is a good puck-mover. Add in that he's from Edmonton and brings a good deal of experience here and I think he'd be a perfect fit and I don't expect he'll be overly pricy. I'd be quite happy with a 2 year deal ranging from 3-4 million, though I haven't seen him play much this year and have no clue what he could get as a UFA. I just think he'd be a nice fit here at a reasonable price.

Up front, I think Hartnell would be a decent pickup to take Smytty's old spot and while he isn't the same player, I feel he's poised for a breakout year and would come significantly cheaper than the 5.7 Smyth was rumoured to want. Being a western boy he may be tempted to sign here as well and I read somewhere Nashville wasn't going to be able to resign him in all likelihood. Perhaps a 4 year deal worth between 14 and 16 million could get it done.

Another UFA forward I'd like Lowe to take a look at is Jamal Mayers. He gives us added team toughness on the checking lines and has good wheels as well. I think he'd be a great addition and add a bit of leadership and grit to our team. He might get a little pricier than we can afford perhaps but shouldn't be getting much more than 1.5 on a multiyear deal I'm thinking.

This leaves the most gaping hole on this team: the #1 defencemen. There's plenty of solid first pairing guys on the free agent market, but the one I'd most like to target would be Brian Rafalski. I'm thinking he probably resigns in NJ but he'd be a great addition to this team and could really help us out on the PP. Him and Sydor would both bring experience and the puck moving ability our D lacks so much this year. I took a quick look at the RFA defencemen Lowe could potentially swing a deal for. Ryan Whitney, Joni Pitkanen, Keith Ballard, Barret Jackman and Anton Volchenkov are all quite appealing although most of those 5 I'm sure are pipe dreams and untouchables. I'd be shocked if Whitney, Pitkanen, Ballard or Jackman were going anywhere this offseason. That leaves Anton Volchenkov. He's had a fantastic year this year and is still young. Ottawa is going to be having some cap issues in the very near future by the looks of things and while I don't think moving Volchenkov would be likely, I suppose it is possible.

The one team I hope Lowe looks at for a deal this offseason is the Tampa Bay Lightning. Here's something that I'm hoping for:

Roloson, Greene, NYI 1st, ANA 1st for Denis, Boyle

This trade would give us our #1 defencemen and a younger starting goaltender. For Tampa, they shave off some cap space, get a huge upgrade in the nets and gain some quality young assets. Valuewise I don't think it's too far off personally and we get a solid puck mover that can help our underachieving powerplay and younger forwards get going. The Oilers would than sign Boyle to an extension (he's a UFA after next year and Tampa will be hardpressed to keep him locked up seeing as how they have 3 forwards making a combined 20 million and Boyle will want at least another 5 IMO.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 04:59 PM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
you do realise that Lecavalier is second in the league in scoring. He is a superstar. You would have to add Hemsky and probably Smid to that deal to even remotely make it fair and even then it would be a rip off for the Oilers.

And for the Redden trade that's not even close as well. It really is amazing how Oiler fans overrate their players yet undervalue everyone else.
I will admit that the Vinny package is fairly weak, but lets keep in mind their salary structure and think that Vinny is only 2 years away from UFA status before you start to think that he is untouchable. Not to mention Richards and St Louis have NTC.

As far as Redden he is 1 year from UFA status, Phillips and Preissing are headed to UFA and Heatley is UFA in the following season, not to mention Spezza's contract is upat end of 08 (RFA). So smart guy where is their cap flexibility going to come from when they were up against the cap this season already?

Now I will fully admit that I dont know if these offers are enough, but what I am confident about is that they could be starting points.

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Soundwave

How much do you think we'd have to give to get Pitkanen?

Or Jokinen + Van Ryn?

I have a feeling Lecavalier would bolt from here in another messy situation in 2 years ... I mean after what's happened here over the past years, it's kind hard to not feel that way even if we did get him.

When we get players here we need to lock them down to 4-5 year deals minimum in the future I think. So if it's someone like Hartnell, give him the 5 year deal. If it's Pitkanen resign him now for like 6 years, hell make it 7/8/9, lol. Under the salary cap, that's just the way it has to be, you need to have like 3 or 4 guys I think locked up loooooooong term, then you can just cycle in/out next players around that same core. You just have to very sure that your core players are good enough to compete.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-02-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old
03-02-2007, 05:14 PM
CanadianDestroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Lecavalier is LEADING THE LEAGUE in goals. There is zero chance he is dealt, especially for such a weak package.
Indeed, we would have to give up Hemsky, a few picks (at least a first and second rounder) and our most promising prospects just to have them look at us. As well, Tampa Bay is very adament on keeping the trifecta of Lecavilier, St. Louis, Richards intact.

CanadianDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Soundwave

They're adament about keeping Lecav-St.Louis-Richards together for this year.

If that team doesn't get past the first round or misses the playoffs, I could see them breaking it up.

But Lecavalier and even St. Louis I think they will keep for sure. Richards will be the one they let go.

Old
03-02-2007, 05:16 PM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
Absolutly TERRIBLE idea. Do you know how much we would have to give up if we offered Phaneuf a huge contract? It just slaps other GM's in the face as well, you do not target other teams RFA's. Respect would be lost by 29 other teams there fore no team would want to deal with us. Very bad move IMO.
No how much would we have to give up? 5 1st rounders?
If so, as has been discussed here before Dion may be a generational talent, a building block for the teams future. I still think it would be a moot point though as Sutter would match the offer sheet anyway.

As far as your second point, watch RFA's get targeted again this season. Kevin Lowe as already stated that he would pay more attention to RFA's this season.

GM's will use the CBA rules more and more, so we all will start to see teams up against the cap start to get violated by GMs with cap room.

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They're adament about keeping Lecav-St.Louis-Richards together for this year.

If that team doesn't get past the first round or misses the playoffs, I could see them breaking it up.

But Lecavalier and even St. Louis I think they will keep for sure. Richards will be the one they let go.
Richards has always been the one that I would want. The team would have to struggle though. Though I hear he has a NTC, so....

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
rigger

Hartnell - Drury/Briere - Hemsky
Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul
Torres - Pouliot - Pisani
Moreau - Reasoner - Schremp/Storts/Brodziak

Timonen - Smith
Staios - Smid
Seabrook - Grebeshkov

Gilbert
Hedja

If we can get a longish term deal for Drury or Briere we then can trade Horcoff and Greene plus picks or prospects for Seabrook and Toews.

Horcoff, Greene and Schremp and a 1st

for

Seabrook and Toews/1st pick 2007.

Wonder if that would work, or take out Schremp and change Toews to this years 1st.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Ok a few things, the best proposal so far IMO, was Stoll 16's easily. He had me until i read we took Denis, i'd rather have Belak in Goal then him, he pretty much imploded under pressure this season. And all those people saying get Richards from Tampa, they might be shopping him, but i doubt we land him, he'll cost too much, and it'll create more holes in our team, a Team like Chicago i could see get him, say a deal such as:

To Chic:

Richards + Denis

To TBL:

Seabrooke + Khabibulan + Cullimore + 1st

That gives Chicago the line of:

Ruutu-Richards-Havlat .

TBL gets their Salary dump:

But gets younger, more stable and a pick.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
Hartnell - Drury/Briere - Hemsky
Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - Reasoner - Schremp/Storts/Brodziak

Timonen - Smith
Staios - Smid
Seabrook - Grebeshkov

Gilbert
Hedja

If we can get a longish term deal for Drury or Briere we then can trade Horcoff and Greene plus picks or prospects for Seabrook and Toews.

Horcoff, Greene and Schremp and a 1st

for

Seabrook and Toews/1st pick 2007.

Wonder if that would work, or take out Schremp and change Toews to this years 1st.
I like this, big time, If we pick up a vet Defensive D-man, say D.Markov for about 2.0mil/yr or even re-sign Hejda wouldn't be bad, i'd do this in a heart beat. And i doubt they give up Toews, if anything, we'd get more picks....

Awesome deals Rigger!

EDIT: Though my preference has to be Drury, Briere is ok, but Drury is more complete, and Briere Dives, i'd rather have Drury any day..

Old
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
No one thinks Schremp or Nilsson have chances to make the club next year? And I am not just talking about their *1* fantastic game together. Despite Schremp's poor season thus far he has been very close the last two camps of making the team. And Nilsson was leading his Bridgeport team in scoring.
The problem is, where do you play them? Torres and Lupul are our 2nd line wingers, and Pisani and Moreau are almost certainly our 3rd line wingers. I strongly believe we will have Horc, Stoll, Pouliot, Reasoner down the middle, which I really like.
I say we trade Raffi + draft pick for a dman, and pick up a LW in the offseason...so lets say...
Blake - Horc - Hemmer
Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - Pouliot - Pisani
Jacques - Reasoner - Schremp

Boyle - Staios
Smith - Smid
Hejda - Greene
Gilbert

Roli
JDD

Though... I really don't like Pouliot in that spot, it almost wastes his offensive creativity.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Soundwave

I think Neilsson will make the team at training camp. Either our 2nd or 3rd line could badly use a playmaker.

Schremp will probably come a little later on. Now if they continue to display great chemistry together and that carries into camp, then I can see them both making it at the same time.

Old
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think Neilsson will make the team at training camp. Either our 2nd or 3rd line could badly use a playmaker.

Schremp will probably come a little later on. Now if they continue to display great chemistry together and that carries into camp, then I can see them both making it at the same time.
I agree with you. Unless Schremp makes a big jump with Nilsson playing at his side this year, or he works hard in the off-season on his skating (which I'm not all that confident in), he may not start with the big club.
But for some reason I just think Nilsson's prescence at WBS will help to jump start Robbie and make him realize whatt someone with a very similar skill set is capable of doing.

Old
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

People when you're talking free agents you have to consider the people and why they would want to come here. Like for example last season Shanny wanted only to sign with a team close to Boston because he has a home in Boston. He had no connection to Edmonton so there was no reason for him to come here....and I don't think there is a chance he'll come here this offseason as well(unless we overpaid big for him and that's not Lowe's style).

Rigger you just said Drury/Briere. Briere is a possilbility because when I hear people talk about him he seems to have a huge love for the game and his personality would be a fit in Edmonton. But Drury we found out while in Calgary is a true American and wants nothing to do with Canada, at least Western Canada. His bad experience in Calgary I would ASSUME(I could be wrong), will rule out any possibility of him comming here.

A guy like Hartnell on the other hand has a real good chance of happening now. I'm from Lloyd and from everything I hear around the area is that Scott would like to play in Edmonton which kind of surprises me. At the same time, I know that if Muckler is willing to deal Redden this summer(which I think he will be with all the new deals he has to shell out), Wade Redden will be an Oiler....probably on draft day. I'm not saying that like I have an inside source or anything, we all know Lowe has been hard after Redden since the lockout ended.

Another free agent to look for comming back would be Mike York. He's struggled this season, needs to get his game back together and he played his best hockey while as an Oiler. He can play LW, C, or RW. Lowe loves him, Mac T loves him, and he loved playing here. A guy like York that could end up back here is Janne Niinimaa. He wouldn't cost much(1 year/500K?), worst case scenario is he sits in the press box, best case scenario he gets SOME of his game back and is capable of being a top 4 d-man again.

Finally, if you want to watch for 2 big names to come here(other then Smyth), I believe these are the 2 guys you watch for: Paul Kariya and Peter Forsberg. Only because Lowe loves both of them, and they were both close to signing here in 05. I'm not saying we would bring in both of them, but I could see us bringing in one of them....the smart money being on Kariya.

I know I'm raining on some guys parade here, but I'm just trying to be a realist. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe these are the free agents(I realize Redden isn't one of them). I'm just saying that what's the point of getting our hopes up for some of these guys when we know they're not comming here? I would get more excited about some of the guys that could be on the move this summer via trade(Pitkanen, Redden, Zherdev, Horton, etc.)

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:18 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
EDIT: Though my preference has to be Drury, Briere is ok, but Drury is more complete, and Briere Dives, i'd rather have Drury any day..
Im favouring Drury too, I like him better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
No one thinks Schremp or Nilsson have chances to make the club next year? And I am not just talking about their *1* fantastic game together. Despite Schremp's poor season thus far he has been very close the last two camps of making the team. And Nilsson was leading his Bridgeport team in scoring.
The problem is, where do you play them? Torres and Lupul are our 2nd line wingers, and Pisani and Moreau are almost certainly our 3rd line wingers. I strongly believe we will have Horc, Stoll, Pouliot, Reasoner down the middle, which I really like.
I say we trade Raffi + draft pick for a dman, and pick up a LW in the offseason...so lets say...
Blake - Horc - Hemmer
Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - Pouliot - Pisani
Jacques - Reasoner - Schremp

Boyle - Staios
Smith - Smid
Hejda - Greene
Gilbert

Roli
JDD

Though... I really don't like Pouliot in that spot, it almost wastes his offensive creativity.
Jason Blake is not worth the money he is going to be looking for. He is a cancer in the room and a greedy guy, Hartnell is where we should spend the cash, cheaper then Blake too.

We will see Nilsson in the line up on day one. Schremp should make it up soon, once Mac T realizes that he will help win more games then Thoreson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
I agree with you. Unless Schremp makes a big jump with Nilsson playing at his side this year, or he works hard in the off-season on his skating (which I'm not all that confident in), he may not start with the big club.
But for some reason I just think Nilsson's prescence at WBS will help to jump start Robbie and make him realize whatt someone with a very similar skill set is capable of doing.
I agree, but I also believe they will become the skilled version of the bash brothers.

Feeding off each other and always trying to one up the other guy. Early on Nilsson will prevail because of his speed, but once Schremp learns how to play the game with a speed disadvantage then watch out.

Old
03-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

Quote:

Jason Blake is not worth the money he is going to be looking for. He is a cancer in the room and a greedy guy, Hartnell is where we should spend the cash, cheaper then Blake too.

We will see Nilsson in the line up on day one. Schremp should make it up soon, once Mac T realizes that he will help win more games then Thoreson.

I agree, but I also believe they will become the skilled version of the bash brothers.

Feeding off each other and always trying to one up the other guy. Early on Nilsson will prevail because of his speed, but once Schremp learns how to play the game with a speed disadvantage then watch out.
In all honesty I had a hard time thinking of a UFA LW that I really wanted, so I tossed Blake's name in there. I, for some reason, haven't heard much about Hartnell. But lets put him there then. That is fine.
My post was more about where Nilsson and Schremp could be, as well as a stud Dman
And I only hope you are right about Nilsson and Schremp
EDIT: NHL.com has Hartnell as a RW and hockeydatabase have him listed as a center??

Last edited by Bodmanza: 03-02-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old
03-02-2007, 06:35 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
People when you're talking free agents you have to consider the people and why they would want to come here. Like for example last season Shanny wanted only to sign with a team close to Boston because he has a home in Boston. He had no connection to Edmonton so there was no reason for him to come here....and I don't think there is a chance he'll come here this offseason as well(unless we overpaid big for him and that's not Lowe's style).

Rigger you just said Drury/Briere. Briere is a possilbility because when I hear people talk about him he seems to have a huge love for the game and his personality would be a fit in Edmonton. But Drury we found out while in Calgary is a true American and wants nothing to do with Canada, at least Western Canada. His bad experience in Calgary I would ASSUME(I could be wrong), will rule out any possibility of him comming here.

A guy like Hartnell on the other hand has a real good chance of happening now. I'm from Lloyd and from everything I hear around the area is that Scott would like to play in Edmonton which kind of surprises me. At the same time, I know that if Muckler is willing to deal Redden this summer(which I think he will be with all the new deals he has to shell out), Wade Redden will be an Oiler....probably on draft day. I'm not saying that like I have an inside source or anything, we all know Lowe has been hard after Redden since the lockout ended.

I know I'm raining on some guys parade here, but I'm just trying to be a realist. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe these are the free agents(I realize Redden isn't one of them). I'm just saying that what's the point of getting our hopes up for some of these guys when we know they're not comming here? I would get more excited about some of the guys that could be on the move this summer via trade(Pitkanen, Redden, Zherdev, Horton, etc.)
You raise good points. If I had a choice of who we sign this summer my first choice is Harnell. He brings that intensity that Smytty brought, heart and desire to win.

Second is Drury/Kariya/Briere - If we can get one of them then I would be more then happy.

The Redden at the draft is what I am talking about. Trade some of our stock piled potential for proven capabilities.

I would like Redden(6.5), Hartnell (3.5) and a trade for a Seabrook/Pitkanen player.

I don't care if we slightly over pay a little but I would love some decent guys to help the young guys grow.

Hartnell - Briere - Hemsky
Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul
Moreau - Reasoner/Schremp - Rotating Rookies

Redden(or Philips) - Smith
Seabrook - Smid
Staios - Grebeshkov
Hedja

Old
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You raise good points. If I had a choice of who we sign this summer my first choice is Harnell. He brings that intensity that Smytty brought, heart and desire to win.

Second is Drury/Kariya/Briere - If we can get one of them then I would be more then happy.

The Redden at the draft is what I am talking about. Trade some of our stock piled potential for proven capabilities.

I would like Redden(6.5), Hartnell (3.5) and a trade for a Seabrook/Pitkanen player.

I don't care if we slightly over pay a little but I would love some decent guys to help the young guys grow.

Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul

Seabrook - Smid
Staios - Grebeshkov
Hedja
This is a lineup that I could see, and it would make us a contender again. It wouldn't have us up against the cap too much so we could add a piece here or there during the season via trade. I would maybe do the lines a bit differently, but like I said I think that's a realistic team and a contending team.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:

Nilsson - Stoll - Lupul

Seabrook - Smid
Staios - Grebeshkov
Hedja
Thats a might young Defence, i'll give it a shot:

-Resign Hejda

-Sign Scott Hartnell

-Trade Pisani + Greene + Lupul for Campbell + Stafford + Connelly

-Sign Calder

-Trade Connelly + 1st for Seabrook

Hartnell-Horcoff-Hemsky (Triple HHH, i coined it now)
Calder-Stoll-Nilsson/Thoreson
Torres-MAP-Mikhnov/Stafford/Thoreson (which ones available and ready)
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini
Brodziak

Campbell-Smith
Staios-Seabrook
Hejda-Smid
Gresbakov/Gilbert

Roli
JDD

Just me try at it....

Old
03-02-2007, 07:39 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Thats a might young Defence, i'll give it a shot:

-Resign Hejda

-Sign Scott Hartnell

-Trade Pisani + Greene + Lupul for Campbell + Stafford + Connelly

-Sign Calder

-Trade Connelly + 1st for Seabrook

Hartnell-Horcoff-Hemsky (Triple HHH, i coined it now)
Calder-Stoll-Nilsson/Thoreson
Torres-MAP-Mikhnov/Stafford/Thoreson (which ones available and ready)
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini
Brodziak

Campbell-Smith
Staios-Seabrook
Hejda-Smid
Gresbakov/Gilbert

Roli
JDD

Just me try at it....
The bolded wouldn't work in my opinion.

The young d is a good young defence.