HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look ahead to next season

Old
03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
The bolded wouldn't work in my opinion.

The young d is a good young defence.
What if i added in Thoreson and a 2nd or 1st??

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:33 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Sign Kariya to a 1 or 2 yr contract OR Hartnell to a 3 yr deal. I went with Kariya because we need the veteran presence.

Deal Lupul, Reasoner and Roloson to Florida for Nathan Horton.

Deal Greene, Horcoff, Cogliano, Syvret and 3 other prospects/youngsters/draft picks for Brad Richards and Dan Boyle.

Deal R. Torres, B. Winchester and a draft pick or prospect to CBJ for Zherdev.

Sign Backstrom as a UFA for our starter, or Biron, and have JDD as the back-up. Personally I like the idea of Biron coming in and mentoring JDD.

Keep in mind I totally ignored salary figures, but tried to dump as much salary as I could. Im sure if you added it up, it would be on the higher end of EIG's budget, but it's all hypothetical. Horton and Zherdev are both rumoured to go, Torres and Lupul are both valuable trade chips that would have to go the other way. I don't see TBay doing too much damage in the playoffs with the lack of depth, so thats the reasoning for my TB deal; they get alot of quality depth in that deal for the present and the future.

Zherdev-Richards-Hemsky
Kariya-Stoll-Horton
Nilsson-Pouliot-Pisani
Moreau-Brodziak-Stortini
Jacques-Thoresen

Boyle-Smith
Hejda-Smid
Staios-Grebeshkov
Gilbert

Biron
Deslaurias

If anyone feels like doing the cap hits on this team, be my guest.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Blatherblah

Keeping things very modest and assuming only UFA pickups, I would have to still be troubled by potential salary problems. Let's say they just pick up Hartnell, Hejda, Markkanen and Timonen and don't trade anyone.. My cap values are not exact and I may even be lowballing the desired salaries of Hartnell and Timonen..

Hartnell UFA 3M - Horcoff 3.6 - Hemsky 4.1
Torres RFA 1.5 - Stoll 2.2 - Lupul 2.3
Moreau 2 - Reasoner 1 - Pisani 2.5
Nilsson RFA 1 - Pouliot 1 - Schremp RFA? 1
Jacques .6

Timonen 4M - Grebeshkov RFA 1
Smid 1 - Staios 2.7
Smith 2 - Hejda UFA 1.5
Gilbert .5

Roloson 3.7
Markkanen UFA 1

42.7M? Can we afford that?

Oh and I excluded Greene, Stortini, Winchester, Thoresen, Petersen, Syvret and Roy..Can't have too many role players or rookies..

I personally like the looks of the fourth line with Pouliot giving some toughness without lacking too much skill in between Nilsson and Schremp.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Zherdev 2.5 - Richards 7.8- Hemsky 4.1
Kariya UFA 5-Stoll2.2-HortonRFA 2
Nilsson1?-Pouliot1-Pisani2.5
Moreau2-Brodziak.6?-StortiniRFA 0.6
Jacques.6-Thoresen.6

Boyle3.3-Smith2.2
HejdaUFA 1.5-Smid1
Staios2.7-GrebeshkovRFA 1
Gilbert.5

BironUFA 3
Deslaurias.6

If anyone feels like doing the cap hits on this team, be my guest.
I think this is way too radical a change - it'll never happen but it's still fun to speculate

I think the biggest problem is Richards' fat contract.. I see Grebs getting a similar contract like Hejda or Smid to entice him to come over here. I don't know JDD's or Brodziak's contract, but probably not too high

The total cap hit of my estimates is around 44.32M

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Jamie

I'd rather go all out and get a true #1 dman in Timonen/Rafalski/Markov then spend a little bit on defense, and a little bit on forwards. We have so many forwards ready to crack the lineup it's crazy. Maybe something small like picking up Calder (against Hartnell at $3.5 by the way, he's not that good). If we can convince Sykora to stay for around $2mill a year, he's my ideal choice since he likes it here and wants to play for our team (plus $2mill would be a steal for him)

Here's what I'd be looking at for our lines;

Sykora-Horcoff-Hemsky (up against the oppositions best lines)
Torres-Stoll-Pisani (2nd hardest minutes)
Neilson-Pouliot-Lupul (soft minutes and PP time)
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini (3rd hardest minutes and PK time for Moreau and Reasoner)
(one more year in minors for Schremp, Thoreseon/Winchester/Peterson in the PB)

Markov-Smith
Staios-Smid
Hejda-Grebishkov/Gilbert/Roy
(Grebishkov/Gilbert/Roy will rotate being NHL, PB and AHL)

Roloson
JDD (but only if we actually give him a chance to start a minimum of 15 games otherwise some vet that'll sign cheap)

EDIT: or, we get Smyth and Markov/Rafalski/Timonen

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
oilflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikcotyck View Post
I think this is way too radical a change - it'll never happen but it's still fun to speculate

I think the biggest problem is Richards' fat contract.. I see Grebs getting a similar contract like Hejda or Smid to entice him to come over here. I don't know JDD's or Brodziak's contract, but probably not too high

The total cap hit of my estimates is around 44.32M
Do you know if .6 million US dollars will become the minimum salary paid NHL players? If not, why wouldn't have at least some players who would only be paid the minimum? Is this because the EIG never spends to the CAP and can never justify paying some players the minimum, therefore we overpay our 4th line and young RFAs?

oilflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Petro Points

I think Nilsson-Horcoff-Schremp can be a decent 2nd line for us next year if the 2 Robs have a decent camp next year. If not then a Moreau-Schremp-Nillson can be a decent 4th line getting soft minutes.

Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Nilsson-Horcoff-Schremp
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani
Stortini-Reasoner-<a pest>
Lupul <- sucks

Staios-xxx
Smith-Hejda
Greene-Gilbert
Smid <-sucks

Roloson

this is how much i liked the pronger deal

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:44 PM
guzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
My Line up:

FA-Horcoff-Hemsky
FA-Stoll-Pisani
Torres-MAP-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini
Thoreson Brodziak

Fa-Smith
Fa-Staios
Hejda-Smid/Greb
Gilbert/Greb

Roli
JDD

Thats what i'd like to be. Sign a guy like Hartnell for about 3.7/yr for 3-4 years, sign a guy like Calder for about 1.2/yr for about 1-2 years.

Sign a guy like Lukowich or Hill or Modry or the same mold. Then sign a UFA D-man with the ability to QB the PP, but also play fairly hard minutes and not suffer. I very much doubt we see Timonen, Markov types here, as long as Philly and teams like that have 26 million ish in Cap room, no way we offer more....
I think you are being a bit optimistic at hoping for 4 UFA signings. Edmonton only has 6-8 mil to spend depending on who you talk to. I could see two signings and maybe a big name guy coming in on trade if they can shake some salary like Pisani or Horcoff.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:14 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Looking forward to next season, Calgary has Kipper, Iggy and Phaneuf all Free Agents. That makes me very happy... Next trade deadline should be fun for them...

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical View Post
I think Nilsson-Horcoff-Schremp can be a decent 2nd line for us next year if the 2 Robs have a decent camp next year. If not then a Moreau-Schremp-Nillson can be a decent 4th line getting soft minutes.

Torres-Stoll-Hemsky
Nilsson-Horcoff-Schremp
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani
Stortini-Reasoner-<a pest>
Lupul <- sucks

Staios-xxx
Smith-Hejda
Greene-Gilbert
Smid <-sucks

Roloson

this is how much i liked the pronger deal
Lupul, and especially Smid are still very young. So they can proceed.
But I liked that deal also not. Most User here were happy about it.
But I wished we could had traded him for Horton + Bouwmeester. What seemded to be possible, but Lowe wanted Florida to add something to those 2 Players...
Did Smid really sucked that bad this season?
Most time I was reading here that he is doing well this season for a rookie season.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
TheGreatone94

I think a guy we should target via trade if we can't get one of Timonen, Markov, or Rafalski, is Marek Zidlicky. He can play top pairing and he can QB a PP, and he has a nice salary of 3.35 million. The Preds may need to shed his salary in order to re ink Timonen, Hartnell, Kariya, and Forsberg. Maybe a Horc for Zidlicky Swap if Forsberg walks in the offseason? We would shed a couple hundred grand as well so we would still have the same amount of money to work with afterwards. Pursue Drury/Briere/Gomez or someone through trade to be our true number one center. Throw 5- 5.5 at a Number one centre. Then throw 2.5-3 at a guy like Preissing and 4 at Kariya.
Kariya-Drury-Hemmer
Torres-Pouliot-Lupul
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Nilsson-Reasoner-Schremp

Zidlicky-Smith
Staios-Preissing
Hejda-Smid

Roli

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:38 PM
Soundwave

I think we will be more active in the trade market than in the UFA market. Just like the summer of 2005, we actually got Pronger and Peca through the trade market, not via the UFA market. Major changes are coming via a blockbuster trade or two, that's what I forsee.

There are some UFAs though that I think the Oil will target.

Specifically Hartnell from Nashville, Preissing or Philips from Ottawa, and Timonen from Nashville. Also maybe even a 1-year rental type player like a Bill Guerin could be a "last piece of the puzzle" type of thing.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:48 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Torres-----Horcoff----Hemmer

Poulit---Stoll----Lupul

Nilsson---Shremp---Pisani

Moraeu---Reasoner---Stortini

Smith----Hejda

Staios---Smid

Greene---Grebishkov
Roloson

JDD

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think we will be more active in the trade market than in the UFA market. Just like the summer of 2005, we actually got Pronger and Peca through the trade market, not via the UFA market. Major changes are coming via a blockbuster trade or two, that's what I forsee.
I agree and like I mentioned in my post I like Tampa Bay as a potential partner. I don't see us getting more than 1 top line/top pair players via the UFA market. Posts involving us signing both Briere and Drury are absurd IMO, there's no way we're spending that much on free agents, especially when you consider Edmonton might not be the most attractive place to sign. I'm thinking Lowe pulls a blockbuster this summer though out of nowhere that surprises us all as opposed to 2-3 big UFA signings.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:03 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, another thread where I get to pimp my trade

We trade Horcoff + Smith + all 3 1st for Pitkanen and their 1st - Draft Turris. Resign Smyth for 5.5-6M. Resign Hejda for less then 2M.

Next year we go with this as a rebuilding year

Smyth - Stoll - Hemsky
Schremp - Pouliot - Nilsson
Torres - Reasoner - Lupul
Moreau - Brodziak - Stortini
Jacques Peterson

Pitkanen - Hejda
Staios - Smid
Greene - Gilbert
Roy/Grebeshkov

Roli
JDD

PP1
Smyth - Hemsky - Pouliot - Stoll - Pitkanen

PP2
Schremp - Nilsson - Torres/Lupul - Smid/Gilbert - Staios/Hejda

PK1
Smyth - Stoll - Hejda - Greene

PK2
Moreau - Reasoner - Staios - Smid

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G

Last edited by s7ark: 03-03-2007 at 05:10 PM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Heavy Dee

i can see hartnell here.....Stoll and he are very good friends.....and I can see this setting up a Redden trade as he is from Lloyd as well (Lupul and Reasoner gone to OTT). Hartnell is a RW, but shoots left, so the left side should not be a problem....

Hartnell-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nillson-Schremp-Pouliot
Torres-Stoll-Jacques
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani

Redden/Greene
Smid/Staios
Hejga/Smith

Grebeshkov

Roloson/JDD

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Nonook

My dream changes for next year:

Hemsky + pick -> Phi for Gagne
Horcoff + pick + warm body -> TB for Lecavalier
Resign Sykora ~3.5

Result:

Gagne-Lecavalier-Sykora -> $15.917M
Torres-Stoll-Lupul -> $6.235M + Torres increase?
Moreau-Pouliot-Pisani -> $5.192M
Jacques-Reasoner-Stortini -> $2.084

UFA@$4M-Staios -> $6.900M
Smid-Smith -> $2.697
Grebeshkov-Other@1M -> $1.900

Roloson -> $4.000M
Deslaurier -> $0.800

Total so far: $45.725
so where do we drop 2-3 million?

Lupul $2.535 and Pisani $2.500 make more than their linemates but I'd hate to see them go w/o seeing what they can come back with next year. If these guys are moved, perhaps an up and comer can fill in adequately and save $1.5M. I still think we need a bigger dollar D-man to help on the PP.

BTW, the forwards on this 1st line have a combined 32 PP goals so far this year. The Oilers so far have 49. Just add a good PP D-man and Stoll and you could get 50+ from the 1st PP team.

Nonook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:17 AM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
Couple trade/UFA/RFA speculation comments:
1. The salary cap will be increasing by about $4M next year. So teams that were near the top this year will have some play room next year. This hurts our chances in three ways: first, team near the top will have extra coin for existing players and be less likely to unload some of their bigger contracts (meaning I don't think players like Lecavier, Richards, Jokinen will become available); second, teams will have more dough to resign their RFA's (which will decrease any chance of poaching); and thirdly, teams will have extra money to spend on UFA's making that market more competitive and pricy.
2. The market for top end offensive d-men is at an all time high and teams will not be willing to trade theirs unless they have another one in their system. So players like Pitkanen and Boyle will be unavailable and no we don't need Phillips.
3. Upgrades will come in the form of unhappy players. Players like Horton and Zherdev who are rumoured to be requesting trades should be the target of trades using roster players + picks/prospects.
4. The new age of hockey does not support paying premium dollars for 3rd line players. Spending should focus on elite players as 3rd and 4th line players are a dime a dozen on the UFA market. Loyalty is good, overpaying Pisani is bad.

Given that, here's what I think the Oil need to do this offseason:
Priorty 1. #1 d-man.
Sign an #1 d-man who can run the PP. This pretty much means a player like either Timonen or Markov, and I think the price will be in the $5-6M range. If they are unavailable, then sign a less rounded offensive d-man such as Rafalski in the $4-4.5M range. The only trade options I could see are if a team like Nashville re-signs Timonen then they may be willing to trade Zidlicky to give more ice time to players like Weber.
Priority 2. #1 elite center.
Sign an elite center for Hemsky to feed off of. Briere, Datsyuk and maybe Gomez are the only ones that fit this bill and the bill will be about $6.5M. This means Horcoff's contract will have to be moved.
Priority 3. Gritty offensive player.
Both to replace Smyth's role in front of the net and to make life a little more difficult for opposing d-men. Horton and Hartnell fit these rolls. If Hartnells the choice, then salary will have to be moved.

Proposals:
1. Sign Timonen $5.25
2. Sign Briere $6.5
3. Trade Lupul and NYI's 1st for Horton
4. Trade Horcoff for Zherdev or Horcoff to MTL for 1st and sign Hartnell.

Forwards = $28.4M

Zherdev (2.5) - Briere (6.5) - Hemsky (4.1)
Torres (2) - Stoll (2.2) - Horton (3)
Moreau (2) - Pouliot (0.9) - Pisani (2.5)
Thoresen (0.6) - Reasoner (1) - Stortini (0.5)

Jacques (0.6)

Defence = $12.85M

Timonen (5.25) - Smith (2)
Smid (0.7) - Staios (2.7)
Gilbert (0.8) - Greene (.8)

Grebeshkov (0.6)

Goalies = $4.4M

Roloson (3.7)
Deslauriers (0.7)

Payroll = $45.65M (Yes it's over the $44M budget, but its time for the owner's to put up or shut up. If $44M is the absolute cut-off, go with the Horcoff for a first and give Nilsson a chance)

Last edited by FunkyChicken: 03-04-2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: bad math
FunkyChicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:10 AM
chance
Edmonton Trolliers

Get rid or Markannen, Tjarnqvist, Staios, Horcoff, Sykora, and so on..

Hartnell-Brieie-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani (3rd line or 4th line, don't matter)
Schremp-Pouliot-Nilsson (also put them on the 2nd PP unit)

Jacques/Stortini

Timmonen-Smith
Smid-Hejda
Gilbert-Grebs

Roy/Greene

Roli
JDD/DD

Also, I wouldn't mind trying to get Biron or Backstrom and give them a shot at the #1 job. Maybe get rid of Pisani aswell and get Jamal Mayers to replace him. If Timmonen isn't available make a package that sends Horcoff and Staios +++ to Tampa Bay for Vinny and Boyle, then it'd be...

Hartnell-Vinny-Hemsky

Boyle-Smith

Biron/Backstrom
JDD/DD

Not sure if this fits under the cap, and doubt it'd happen anyway, but there's always hope.

There's so many possibilities of what could happen this off season, can't wait.

chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:23 AM
cbj21

Thoresen to Jackets for a 5th. Do it, just do it

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:30 AM
smallhobbit

I havent really calculated cap hits...........but:

Sykora (if he signs cheap enough)-UFA (Drury, Briere, Gomez, Datsyuk)-Hemksy
Torres-Horcoff-Lupul
Moreau-Stoll-Pisani
Nilsson-Pouliot-Schremp
PB: Jacques, Stortini

Souray-Smith
Staios-XXX
Smid-Greene
EX: Gilbert, Grebeshkov

Roloson
Deslauriers

With this lineup, we fill position XXX on D with a trade.......something like Reasoner, Winchester, and one or two good draft picks........this Dman would obviously be a good Phillips type of dman that is storng defensively and good enough on offence

smallhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
Thoresen to Jackets for a 5th. Do it, just do it
Why? So we can work on becoming the next Columbus?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance View Post
Get rid or Markannen, Tjarnqvist, Staios, Horcoff, Sykora, and so on..

Hartnell-Brieie-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani (3rd line or 4th line, don't matter)
Schremp-Pouliot-Nilsson (also put them on the 2nd PP unit)

Jacques/Stortini

Timmonen-Smith
Smid-Hejda
Gilbert-Grebs
so... you want an even YOUNGER defence than we had this season?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:04 PM
chance
Edmonton Trolliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
omg sry mister, u put staios bak insteed of hegda, ok? i am vry sry mister

chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 01:23 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Isn't that how one rebuilds? Lowe has two options either a full rebuild or he can try to plug the current holes. Frankly, I'd prefer the total rebuild. This team is far from a cup contender.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote