HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatly's value for 08/09

Old
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Viking Penguin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpLiCiT_P1ayA__ View Post
lol this is cap era .. a forward is not worth more than 5.5 million now, no matter how good he is.

Heatley's new contract will be somewhere around 5.5 million/year (max) ... maybe 6mill
Spezza's 5 million/year (max) ... maybe 5.5mill

well crosby and ovechkin might be an acception but i dont see pittsburg being able to handle a 7+/year for corsby since they got alota young stars

ovechkin might get 7+/year since thats all they got on their team, and semin but he wont get more than 4mil/year on his new contract.

so my fellow fans dont worry, spezza and heatley will be signed to their new contracts right here in ottawa. but non will be over 6mill.

Stop posting, you have no idea what you're talking about. Heatley could fetch between $7 to $8 million a year, easy. Teams will drool to sign him to a multi-year deal. Even Spezza, in arbitration, an annual 100+ point producer, he gets at least 6 mill.

Ottawa must live-out the rest of this year with a do or die attitude. The time is now for a cup in Kanata.

Viking Penguin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Penguin View Post
Stop posting, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Ferley

Quote:
Stop posting, you have no idea what you're talking about. Heatley could fetch between $7 to $8 million a year, easy. Teams will drool to sign him to a multi-year deal. Even Spezza, in arbitration, an annual 100+ point producer, he gets at least 6 mill.

Ottawa must live-out the rest of this year with a do or die attitude. The time is now for a cup in Kanata.
couldn't have said it better my self ....the Crosby's of the league will always get the max no matter what....Heatley gets around 7 mil if you ask me

Ferley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
DaveMatthew

In my opinion, this team has to re-sign Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza longterm, no matter what the cost. If it means that some other guys have to be traded to make room, then so be it.
Both those guys are top 10 offensive players in the game today and they're not even in their primes. We could afford to trade Yashin because we had young offensive stars like Hossa and Havlat ready to step into top line roles. Right now, we have no top notch young offensive players in the system.
We could afford to trade Hossa by a stroke of luck. The chances of a situation arising where another young star asks for a trade at the same time are not good, and we shouldn't bank on that.

So, Ottawa has to commit to these guys this summer and sign them both to longterm deals, perhaps even at the same salary. Here's my plan:

First off, the cap is going to rise to about 48 million, so we gain extra space there.

- Trade Redden and Gerber, freeing up 10.2 million dollars.
- Sign Phillips to a 3 year deal with a average cap hit of 4 million.
- Re-sign Kelly to a 2 year, 1.9 million dollar deal.
- Re-sign Saprykin to a 1 year 1.2 million dollar deal.
- Re-sign Schubert to a 2 year, 1.9 million dollar deal.
- Re-sign Preissing to a 2 year 5 million dollar contract.
- Re-sign Volchenkov to a 3 year, 7.5 million dollar contract.
- Re-sign Emery to a 2 year 4.4 million dollar contract. (Ryan Miller money).
- Re-sign Spezza and Heatley to 5 year, identical contract. (6.5, 6.5, 7, 7.25, 7.5). A cap hit of 7 million.

Here's how the roster would look:

Heatley (6.95) - Spezza (6.95) - Kelly (0.95)
Schaefer (2.1) - Fisher (1.5) - Alfredsson (4.6)
Eaves (0.942) - Vermette (1) - Neil (1.1)
Bois (0.45) - Hennessey (0.5) - Saprykin (1.2)
McGrattan (0.52)

Phillips (4) - Volchenkov (2.5)
Preissing (2.5) - Meszaros (0.984)
Corvo (2.6) - Schubert (0.95)

Emery (2.2)
Guard/Glass/UFA (0.45)

Total - 44.94 million.

We'd even have room to add a UFA forward or defenseman.

Of course, this all depends on the playoffs. If Heatley and Spezza do **** all and we lose in the first because of their crappiness, then this goes in the trash.

Oh, and maybe we get some good young cheap players for Redden, so that'd help.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Answer

Quote:

say that to yourself first.

your talking like heatley has already talked to you about his future plans ... when you got no common sense why even try to open your mouth ... this is freakin cap era, a forward is not ellgible for huge contracts.

no one certainly know for sure whats gonna go down so why dont you keep ur stupid assumptions to yourself and wait for the day when heatley signs a new contract ..

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
this is freakin cap era, a forward is not ellgible for huge contracts.
This may be "freakin cap era" but it didn't stop Richards from getting the league maximum of $7.8M nor Elias $42M over 7 years nor Havlat $18M over 3.
Freakin cap era or not, forwards will get large contracts once they hit UFA status.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Anybody that is paid the league maximum in today's cap system, is an albatross to the team. How can you realistically pay one guy close to a fifth or sixth of the entire payroll and expect to have a decent team? The answer: you can't! You're much better off to have a bunch of guys earning 3 and 4 mil then one or two earning 6 to 8 mil.
Well I still think this a very interesting question, to be determined yet. I understand your point, and it can be true for certain types of teams.

But it may also be possible and smart to build your team around one of the top 10 players in the league, paying him what he is worth and developing the appropriate cast around him.

Im undecided. I think it may be worth it to pay Heatley franchise player top 10 in hte league money, and build around that. We used to build around a lot of youth at cheap contracts, but that is the old way. Its not as profitable anymore. If we land a star, and heatley is one, do it. Who better to build around? 2 players at half the money is not as good as a Heatley-Kelly combo. Heater's dangerous. A big game hunter.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
ARS

Quote:

your talking like heatley has already talked to you about his future plans ... when you got no common sense why even try to open your mouth ... this is freakin cap era, a forward is not ellgible for huge contracts.

no one certainly know for sure whats gonna go down so why dont you keep ur stupid assumptions to yourself and wait for the day when heatley signs a new contract ..
I happen to agree with him on that you have no idea what you're talking about, if Richards can get 7 million and friggin Marc Savard gets 5 million, imagine what Heatley, Spezza, Hossa, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Crosby and the rest of the top forwards in the NHL will get. I mean Hossa is already making 6 million, he can make even more if he enters free agency.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
At it will stand with an increased cap, he is worth 7 million to some team. If he continues to improve in the defensive aspects and bring effort every night, he is worth 7 million to the Senators. If he is 05-06 Heatley he is not.

I don't think we'll be able to keep Heatley and I don't know that he's really interested in staying here, so I'll just enjoy the next season and whatever happens happens.

Spezza must be retained at all costs.
What makes you think he doesn't like playing there?

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
I've always had the feeling that Heatley is just passing through.

I would be very pleasantly surprised if he thought of Ottawa as his home team and gave a home town discount.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Answer

this is the reason why the NHL went for a lockout ... some GMz are just too slow to understand this ... if a player wants to be a cup contender he needs to be realistic about his contract or he could just go play on a non-playoff team. soon every team will understand this. soon no team will be willing to over pay a certain player in order to built a complete team to contend for the cup.

max contract for heatley will be 6/6.5mill .. he might ask for more but thats what he will have to settle with. maybe a team like chicago or LA will be willing to give him 7+mill.

Old
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Air

Quote:
I don't think we'll be able to keep Heatley and I don't know that he's really interested in staying here, so I'll just enjoy the next season and whatever happens happens.
For some reason, I've had this feeling that he's just passing through, too. I think it's because we've seen all of our players develop from awkward rookies to relatively confident players, except for Heatley. I think he likes it here, though I don't know that he has a special bond to this place or anything.

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Roddick View Post
I happen to agree with him on that you have no idea what you're talking about, if Richards can get 7 million and friggin Marc Savard gets 5 million, imagine what Heatley, Spezza, Hossa, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Crosby and the rest of the top forwards in the NHL will get. I mean Hossa is already making 6 million, he can make even more if he enters free agency.

hossa signed his contract before the cap.

as for richard's contract .. you actually think every GM is as stupid as him ... savard actually earned his 5mill .. and there's a big difference between 7mill and 5mill if you do you math.

and non of these rising stars will get more than 6/6.5mill on a contending team ... soon a non-playoff team will be refusing hugh contracts aswell. its only smart management and the players will soon realize it and have to settle for lesser bucks.

Old
03-02-2007, 06:19 PM
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
What makes you think he doesn't like playing there?
because of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty
I've always had the feeling that Heatley is just passing through.
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Heatley and would love nothing more than to keep him here at any cost. This guy is an elite player and a joy to watch. I love everything he brings to the team. But I just don't feel like he's a guy that wants to close out his career here. Now if he does, I'll be his biggest supporter. If he leaves on good terms I'll be his biggest supporter. It's just a feeling, I don't think Heatley will be here in 5 years.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:22 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

Quote:
because of this:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Heatley and would love nothing more than to keep him here at any cost. This guy is an elite player and a joy to watch. I love everything he brings to the team. But I just don't feel like he's a guy that wants to close out his career here. Now if he does, I'll be his biggest supporter. If he leaves on good terms I'll be his biggest supporter. It's just a feeling, I don't think Heatley will be here in 5 years.
I wish he would also. Even though him leaving ATL was devastating to me. As i'm sure you guys were shocked to see Hossa get traded.

Old
Don Draper

Quote:

see bolded comments

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
moz
Gute Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
For some reason, I've had this feeling that he's just passing through, too. I think it's because we've seen all of our players develop from awkward rookies to relatively confident players, except for Heatley. I think he likes it here, though I don't know that he has a special bond to this place or anything.
This is pretty much it. He's resurrected his career here, but he wasn't drafted by us, he's not from this part of the country, and he was already a good player when he came here. He didn't sign here as a UFA. He didn't choose Ottawa. Again, I don't want people to get me wrong and think that Heatley is going to bolt the second he has a chance, and I would love for him to be a life-long Senator, I just think there's a good chance it won't happen.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Answer

atleast hossa and havlat thought their careers were gonna end in ottawa. they both loved it here and werent all that happy to leave the city, especially hossa.

Old
03-02-2007, 06:28 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Forget the life long sen stuff, and home town discount, those days are gone. The question is, Is it worth locking up this top 10 player in the league for his first ufa contract as one of the top 10 contracts in the league, and if he wants to sign and stay? I think maybe yes. If we did that, can we build a team around that? Is he the chosen one?

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Air

Quote:
Is he the chosen one?
... Should we check for a birthmark?

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:31 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

I think to be truly dominant in this new cap era is to keep implementing rookies every so often that can contribute right away. That way you can keep the core.

Old
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
... Should we check for a birthmark?
I say yes.

Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
I don't see Heatley as the type of guy to take a hometown discount. Especially since he's only been here for two seasons.
I disagree. He has all kinds of perspective from Atlanta and the Snyder incident. If he is on Ottawa with a chance to win the Cup every season, to play with Spezza and Alfredsson, to be in a place where hockey matters and people care what happened in last nights game not about what happened a couple of years ago in Atlanta. I think Heatley will really want to stay here.

Spezza I could see wanting to leave becuse he has been screwed with at times by Ottawa. However Ottawa did give him a very fair RFa contract before the season. I could also see him staying, to be with Emery and Heatley and Neil and his friends.

I think Ottawa could get a hometown discount out of Spezza and Heatley especially if we can win the cup this year or make the final.

I'd like us to have a positive playoffs even if we don't win the Cup. And then right after the season when both players are excited about next year Muckler offers them both a one year extension on their current deals at $6 million. That spreads out their cap hit, it lets both have the option in 2 years to be a UFA when they are very young and in their prime and can get a huge long term contract. First I sign Phillips long term then I try to sign Spezza and Heatley to one year extensions. Then I trade Redden for good value, sign Priessing for a 3 year deal, sign Schubert at a decent $$$ for 2 or 3 years. Convince Lee to turn pro and come to training camp with the likelihood of him being in Binghamton at first and being a call-up later in the season if their is a d injury. Sign Volchenkov for 2 or 3 years. Qualify Saprykin. And if trading Redden allows the cap room I sign Comrie too. I let McAmmond leave and bring up Hennessey.

So we would have the same team as now basically minus Redden - with most of the core signed for 2 more seasons and hopefully a bit of cap room to play with and with Lee hopefully becoming a Sens during next season or the year after.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Sens4Cup

I think what people are failing to see is that a team stacked with top forwards is different from a team with one top forward.

Calgary for example now I suppose has 2 guys Tanguay and Iginla but before this year Iginla was their guy.

Ottawa has Alfie, Heatley, Spezza and the price for top offensive centers these days is not the Richards price as only he makes that much, but more so it's the Savard/Jokinen type deals of 5-5.3 million per year. Bergeron got a similar deal at 4.25 while Staal got 4.5 and Briere and Gomez got 5.0. Only Thornton and Lecavalier really have better deals at 6.6 and 6.75 but they've also played a number of years more than Spezza and are franchise players.

Let's not forget that Spezza's family is loaded anyways, and he's previously done what is best for team, taking 1.1 million last year and playing in the AHL while he could have made a fortune in Russia. So 5-5.5 seems like his price. He's a great center but he's not at the overall level of a Lecavalier or Thornton so he won't command that kind of money.

Heatley as far as comparables go you could look to Iginla perhaps but Iggy also has a list of personal achievements such as 2 rocket richard, an art ross trophy etc as well as a Cup Finals appearance. So for Heater you can look at Tanguay, Naslund, Elias, Kovalchuk, etc etc. And that range is from 5.3-6.5 so I think you'll see him in that range, probably around 6-6.5 on a long term deal.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2007, 07:15 PM
ARS

Quote:
hossa signed his contract before the cap.

as for richard's contract .. you actually think every GM is as stupid as him ... savard actually earned his 5mill .. and there's a big difference between 7mill and 5mill if you do you math.

and non of these rising stars will get more than 6/6.5mill on a contending team ... soon a non-playoff team will be refusing hugh contracts aswell. its only smart management and the players will soon realize it and have to settle for lesser bucks.
Ummm no, Hossa signed his contract just before last season AFTER the CBA was ratified, why else do you think we had to get rid of him?

And how do you know no other GM wouldn't have given Richards just as big a contract? Did you personally ask every single GM?

You just solidified Viking Penguins comment about you having no idea what you're talking about.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote