HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

La Presse, a serious newspaper?

Old
03-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Giddens

vCash: 500
La Presse, a serious newspaper?

I'm sorry for starting a new thread but this is an important detail... Especially for those who can't read French.

La Presse did not have access to the audio file. Actually they had access to a short segment when Kovalev talks about the World Championships.

For everything else when they say that they have 'proof', it is 100% based on the transcription/translation of someone they don't know (yet they have a blind trust in that person). I find it simply amazing. I used to rank La Presse ahead of le Journal de Montréal or 110% for sport content. Not anymore. Before creating such a mess you need to have good information, Too much can be lost/modified during transcription/translation...

Giddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:54 AM
AH

Very Ture.

Brunet especially has lost a lot of credibility this week.

Unreal what's going on.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
furax

Send a message via ICQ to furax
yeah i agree with you... it's unfair for kovalev too... it's his word against la presse... even if this story turns out to be true, i still thing la presse made a huge mistake... they didn't have any solid proof to publish this story...

furax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 09:58 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Lapresse has more credibility than Le Journal de Montréal or even the Gazette. But it's not flawless but it should be noted that it is a serious newspaper.

I know they'll get bashed for what's happening but it's really one of the best, so I don't think they would've created this whole mess by themselves.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

theses guys must have gone to the Dan Rather school of journalism (too bad i used to like Rather so much... still do...)... but indeed if you are going to come out with something as sensational as this you best be able to back it up.... maybe the team will sue

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
MathMan

La Presse I think has to be considered a very serious, credible and respectable newspaper, and very much deservedly so. It's a quality paper and its handling of current affairs, politics, and the like is excellent. I don't always agree with their editorial policy, but I can apreciate the quality of the journalistic work.

I am uncertain, however, that the Sports section should be awarded the same reputation. While IMO it is still more credible than the Journal de Montreal, I'm not convinced it is quite up to the same standards as the rest of the newspaper.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Their sports section has lost ALOT of credibility over the years.

Remember when they claimed that Theodore had been traded after reading it on a message board?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:05 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I am uncertain, however, that the Sports section should be awarded the same reputation. While IMO it is still more credible than the Journal de Montreal, I'm not convinced it is quite up to the same standards as the rest of the newspaper.
I gotta agree with this...However, Matthias Brunet is very good. I know he got bashed a lot this week, but the guy had the balls to put all the facts on paper. He talked about the Jack Johnson and Beauchemin situations and it's true that it makes Gainey look very bad. Brunet had more points than people here make it to seem.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:06 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Their sports section has lost ALOT of credibility over the years.

Remember when they claimed that Theodore had been traded after reading it on a message board?
I read Lapresse almost every morning and I never saw this... I think you're wrong on this one.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:08 AM
BORAT

I would never doubt Francois Gagnon ... the guy has a lot of integrity

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

La Presse sat on the story for 3 days...they checked their sources...it was translated by Elena Botchorichvili who covered sports for more than 20 years in Russia....Brunet spoke to the sport-writer (Regina Sevostianova) and she said the interview was conducted february 24th at 21:38 and retype for the magazine in its entire content. She said that she would send the interview by email to Brunet but an hour later, her boss said no.....

Since, Football-Hockey is a credible source (the interview was published there and that Sevostianova is a credible source, La Presse decided to publish the interview.

Nothing wrong there!

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
CaptCrunch

La Presse is a very credible paper. Its right in the middle of Le Journal de Montréal (sensational newspaper bordering on tabloid) and Le Devoir (a serious serious paper that can be counter upon to spend more time on cricket than hockey.).

I always found they take a very responsible view of journalism. Of course, everyone can declare that a newspaper is crap when they don't like the content.

Its always easier to shoot the messenger.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin View Post
Im the one who send the link to mathias brunet.

"Bonjour Mathias, j'adore votre travail.

http://www.football-hockey.ru/7_269/article_9283.shtml

Voici un lien d'un journal en russie. Bon ... il vous faudra un
interprète... mais il y a beaucoup de jus à propos de Kovalev dans
l'article. En effet, c'est une entrevue avec Kovalev et il y va de
plusieurs commentaires surprenants concernant la gestion de l'équipe,
ses coéquippiers et la place des russes chez le Canadien. Si vous
voulez un article qui va faire bouger les choses, je vous recommande de
contacter un interprète. Pour vous donner une idée, vous pouvez
utiliser une traduction via Internet.... mais c'est dur de bien
comprendre sans un véritable interprète.

Francois Duchemin"

He replied me

"Merci mille fois François!

Mathias Brunet"

Didnt knew everyone who jump on that lol
wow you should be very proud of yourself

Old
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I read Lapresse almost every morning and I never saw this... I think you're wrong on this one.
It was last year, before Theodore was traded. A rumour started that Theo had been traded to Columbus for Denis+...It was on a message board but seemed credible. La Presse reported it as fact, from a source apparently, although I don't remember if it was printed or if it was just on their site.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I would never doubt Francois Gagnon ... the guy has a lot of integrity
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...cheid=20070305

Saying that Kovalev has to go because of something he heard and didn't even verify? Wow, very credible.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
It was last year, before Theodore was traded. A rumour started that Theo had been traded to Columbus for Denis+...It was on a message board but seemed credible. La Presse reported it as fact, from a source apparently, although I don't remember if it was printed or if it was just on their site.
Denis + fritsche... i wish it happened i really like fritsche and denis is way better than abby

Old
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Lapresse has more credibility than Le Journal de Montréal or even the Gazette. But it's not flawless but it should be noted that it is a serious newspaper.

I know they'll get bashed for what's happening but it's really one of the best, so I don't think they would've created this whole mess by themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
La Presse I think has to be considered a very serious, credible and respectable newspaper, and very much deservedly so. It's a quality paper and its handling of current affairs, politics, and the like is excellent. I don't always agree with their editorial policy, but I can apreciate the quality of the journalistic work.

Gotta agree with both. It's a good paper, not as reputable as Le Devoir but better than Le Journal de MTL by a long shot and better than the gazette in my opinion (The gazette is too comfortable being the only english newspaper). Their sports section though is not that great.

Also the problem with quoting unreliable sources is that, you won't get called on it in the Montreal sports media. There's isn't any real punishment so no detterent effet. There's no sports equivalent of the Conseil pour la protection de l'information du public (private media watchdog in quebec) so...

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
As the Glorious Weep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Gotta agree with both. It's a good paper, not as reputable as Le Devoir but better than Le Journal de MTL by a long shot and better than the gazette in my opinion (The gazette is too comfortable being the only english newspaper). Their sports section though is not that great.

Also the problem with quoting unreliable sources is that, you won't get called on it in the Montreal sports media. There's isn't any real punishment so no detterent effet. There's no sports equivalent of the Conseil pour la protection de l'information du public (private media watchdog in quebec) so...
Aren't pretty much all newspapers and media in Quebec owned by the same company?

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=fritsche

That's the link from where it was discussed on these boards.

Old
03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

credible or not... it's yet to be determined.... in any event this is not the behaviour of a serious paper... this is tabloid behaviour and seriously dangerous to the team we cheer for... it could push a rift in the team and cost us the playoffs... if people get their noses out of joint from this... how are we going to get anyone to play here if they always have to be retracing their steps to make sure they're acting apropriate according so some papparazi... who wants to be thrown to the horde of blood thirsty fans like that... brutal... damaging... and poorly timed.... we should be talking about schedule... games left... that kind of thing... who cares about this... the city will be caught up in this now. garbage

Old
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
Aren't pretty much all newspapers and media in Quebec owned by the same company?
La Presse is owned by the Gesca empire, Le Journal de Montreal is owned by Quebecor.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Saying that Kovalev has to go because of something he heard and didn't even verify? Wow, very credible.
Regardless of whether the story is true or not, La Presse has to defend this story to the bitter end, even if it means making revelations about the Ribs trade that didn't come out when it happened, even if it means going to war over it, even if it means displaying silly amounts of outrage and calling for people's heads.

I don't know if it's true, but if it all turns out to be a hoax, this will be an egg of massive proportions over all their faces. They can't afford that.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I read La Presse every day, I've been for years. It is credible and, IMO, somewhat better than Le Journal de Montréal. Unfortunately, they've been bashing the team a lot lately. I can't say I'm too happy or that I even agree with it, but it's a point of view. The only thing I hate right now, is that every editorialist is shooting red bullets at the team equally, no one being the "devil's advocate".

Nonetheless, it's still a very serious newspaper. I just hope it doesn't take a sensationalist slide... like they seem to take right now.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Nope.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
I read La Presse every day, I've been for years. It is credible and, IMO, somewhat better than Le Journal de Montréal. Unfortunately, they've been bashing the team a lot lately. I can't say I'm too happy or that I even agree with it, but it's a point of view. The only thing I hate right now, is that every editorialist is shooting red bullets at the team equally, no one being the "devil's advocate".

Nonetheless, it's still a very serious newspaper. I just hope it doesn't take a sensationalist slide... like they seem to take right now.
Well, Ronald King is the Devil's Advocate.

Stefan_Latulippe is offline   Reply With Quote