HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The $2.5M question

View Poll Results: Does Lowe have the cajones to make MC sit out for an extended period of time?
Yes 39 92.86%
No 3 7.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
The $2.5M question

As of now the Ducks are offering a 1st rounder and Perry (late first rounder) for Comrie.

The dollar value of the contract that Comrie and Murray have all but inked would net the Oil a 1st and 2nd rounder as compensation which is basically the exact same thing. These two can sign a contract and the Oilers are stuck with this compensation, or they have to match the Ducks' offer.

Touche! A brilliant stroke! This is where the Comrie/Murray camp thought that they had Lowe over a barrel.

With the ball in his court Lowe says words to the effect of "$2.5M to play Mikey". Basically his way of saying that the Oil WILL match and make MC sit out if that offer sheet gets signed.

TOUCHE! Right back atcha kid! This is the first round in two matches of MC vs Lowe that Lowe has even managed to land a telling blow.

Now the ball is back in Mikey's court, will he sign that offer sheet?

Murray can also offer a bit more than is currently on the table if he wants. But if their skid continues will he get more desperate? Will the 1st rounder start to look more tempting to KLo?

I am really starting to enjoy this whole fiasco, this is a real mexican standoff now.

IF Mike and Murray officially sign an offer sheet for $1.65M that would net the Oil a 1st and 2nd round pick as their stance seems to imply, the $2.5M question that the Ducks and Comrie are stalling on as the words of KLo reverberate through their cavernous heads is:

Does Lowe have the cajones to make MC sit out for an extended period of time if push comes to shove?

Old
12-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Walsher

Comrie and Murray would be foolish to sign an offer sheet unless they plan on signing a Fedorov/Carolina offer sheet that was so ridiculous the league had to turn it over. At 3.3 for 2 years Comrie would be making peanuts and by signing that contract before a deal the Oilers would match and them be able to deal him anywhere. IMO now Lowe has the ability to widen his trade search because it is clear Mike is unwilling to pay the 2.5. He may be forced to go elsewhere to play if that is truly what he wants to do - play I mean. Otherwise this could be a long and comical process.

Old
12-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Comrie and Murray would be foolish to sign an offer sheet unless they plan on signing a Fedorov/Carolina offer sheet that was so ridiculous the league had to turn it over. At 3.3 for 2 years Comrie would be making peanuts and by signing that contract before a deal the Oilers would match and them be able to deal him anywhere. IMO now Lowe has the ability to widen his trade search because it is clear Mike is unwilling to pay the 2.5. He may be forced to go elsewhere to play if that is truly what he wants to do - play I mean. Otherwise this could be a long and comical process.
Do you really think the Oilers would be able to get a decent return for Comrie in the near future if he signs for $1.65M? I couldn't say either way, I don't know what Lowe has been offered from other teams to this point and I obviously don't have a clue what went on between Comrie and the teams that called him about getting something done.

All I know for sure is that this whole situation is a lot more palateable now that we know KLo is really playing it tough and not just getting zero offers. I'm lovin' it

Old
12-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Walsher

Since the whole 2.5 mil deal apparently Lowe has had 6 calls from different GM's inquiring about Comrie. IMO he has developed a situation of much more power now and if Comrie is foolish enough to sign an offer sheet for 1.65 per even more so. He is signing for less in Anaheim because he wants to be there. He would want way more if he went elsewhere. On top of it all it was uncovered that Lowe had worked a deal (reportedly with the Isles) that brought back very good return. To me this situation just got way better for the Oilers. Their is no way the Ducks are going to get him for Perry and a 1st.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:10 PM
dem

If theres one thing Lowe isnt lacking its cajones...

Old
12-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Seachd

If the Ducks give Comrie an offer sheet, and if the Oilers match, they will have to play him or sit him out, because they wouldn't be able to trade him for a year.

But I still have a hard time believing the Ducks would do that.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If the Ducks give Comrie an offer sheet, and if the Oilers match, they will have to play him or sit him out, because they wouldn't be able to trade him for a year.

The Oilers would love to play him at 1.65 per year. This is why it is quite obvious that the Ducks would never sign an offer sheet unless its contents were unbelievably ridiculous.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:20 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Does Lowe have the cajones...?
You really asked this question?!?
Oi'll say!, this is the topper to a very good day. Thank you.

edit - sp

Old
12-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd

Man that's a real kick in the head. You're saying that if the Oil get a great offer from the Isles but Comrie and Murray can produce a valid offer sheet that they've signed the Oilers can't complete their deal with the Isles for a year?

What is the legal qualifier here, the date and time that Comrie and Murray can prove they have signed a document or the time that such a document is submitted to the league? I would assume it's the latter but I don't know for sure.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
You really asked this question?!?
Oi'll say, this is the topper to a very good day. Thank you.
Heya ID, great to see you back, and to see that you're in such great spirits!

The Oilers tied though, what's up with that?

You don't think I'm going to be in trouble for using the c-j word do you?

Old
12-11-2003, 09:34 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Heya ID, great to see you back, and to see that you're in such great spirits!

The Oilers tied though, what's up with that?

You don't think I'm going to be in trouble for using the c-j word do you?
Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. :p

btw - luv your cat

Last edited by IceDragoon: 12-11-2003 at 09:48 PM.
Old
12-12-2003, 05:39 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Man that's a real kick in the head. You're saying that if the Oil get a great offer from the Isles but Comrie and Murray can produce a valid offer sheet that they've signed the Oilers can't complete their deal with the Isles for a year?

What is the legal qualifier here, the date and time that Comrie and Murray can prove they have signed a document or the time that such a document is submitted to the league? I would assume it's the latter but I don't know for sure.
This is under the Offer Sheet section in the CBA:

(b) If the Prior Club gives the Restricted Free Agent notice
that it is exercising its Right of First Refusal (a "First
Refusal Exercise Notice"), such notice to be substantially in the
form of Exhibit 7 attached hereto, within the seven (7) day
period, such Restricted Free Agent and the Prior Club shall be
deemed to have entered into a binding agreement, which they shall
promptly formalize in a Player Contract, containing (i) all the
Principal Terms (subject to subsection (e) below); and (ii) such
additional terms as may be agreed upon between the Restricted
Free Agent and the Prior Club. The Prior Club may not trade that
Restricted Free Agent for a period of one year from the date it
exercises its Right of First Refusal.

But remember, an offer sheet is a completely different thing than hammering out a contract for after a trade takes place, which has happened so far. If the Ducks give Comrie an offer sheet, the Oilers can match, in Canadian dollars (with the league making up the difference, apparently), and they'll have his rights. But from what I gather from the paragraph above, they'll have to keep him around for a while. I imagine they'd just lock him out, or he'd hold out.

Old
12-12-2003, 06:55 AM
streetballer03

If i had it my way, i would let Mike rot till the trade deadline. I wouldnt even negotiate with him. If i don't get what i want on the trade deadline, I can trade him to move up during the draft. Lowe has a huge upperhand in this situation and i hope he sees that clearly. Mike is out of line asking to be traded. If he wants out he should sit down, wait, and shut his trap. This isnt Kevin Lowe's fault. This is Mike Comrie's fault. He brought it on himself to be locked out of camp and all the horrible sob stories that he's exhibited during this kurfuffle

Old
12-12-2003, 07:00 AM
looooob

I hope you don't mind a Flames fan voting (don't worry I voted yes )

I think he does

from where I sit though, I'm not sure where Comrie's trade value goes from here

Closed Thread