HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What have you done for me lately?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2003, 08:57 PM
igor*

vCash: 500
What have you done for me lately?

Just a few numbers that I thought were worth looking at. The Even strength numbers for the Oilers over the last ten games are below. This dates back to the Leafs game, which was the one just before the HC.

PLAYER _____ EV+ ____ EV- ___ EV+/-

LARAQUE ______ 4 ______ 0 ______ 4
ISBISTER _____ 5 _____ -2 ______ 3
HORCOFF ______ 4 _____ -1 ______ 3
STOLL ________ 5 _____ -3 ______ 2
YORK _________ 6 _____ -5 ______ 1
DVORAK _______ 5 _____ -4 ______ 1
HEMSKY _______ 5 _____ -4 ______ 1
SMYTH ________ 5 _____ -5 ______ 0
CHIMERA ______ 2 _____ -2 ______ 0
TORRES _______ 4 _____ -5 _____ -1
OATES ________ 1 _____ -2 _____ -1
SALMELAINEN __ 0 _____ -1 _____ -1
MOREAU _______ 0 _____ -5 _____ -5
PISANI _______ 0 _____ -5 _____ -5

SMITH ________ 6 _____ -2 ______ 4
STAIOS _______ 6 _____ -4 ______ 2
SEMENOV ______ 5 _____ -3 ______ 2
CROSS ________ 6 _____ -5 ______ 1
BREWER _______ 2 _____ -2 ______ 0
BERGERON _____ 4 _____ -6 _____ -2
FERGUSON _____ 3 _____ -8 _____ -5

Surprisingly ... the Oilers have been pretty decent at even-strength over this time, in fact better than average. EV+16 and EV-15 as a team.

Ya know the special teams are a nightmare though. How about ST+4 and ST-16. Good crap, they're down by more than a goal per game, on average, on special teams alone. It's just unreal.

Last edited by igor*: 12-11-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old
12-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Scorpion88

Hey, Igor

Any chance you have a summary of the amount of goals our players have been on the ice for and against (Including Powerplay, Shorthanded, etc.) I would be very interested to see which player seems to be on the ice for most of the goals scored against us including during special team play.

If you've got it great, if not no big deal.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:37 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
Hey, Igor

Any chance you have a summary of the amount of goals our players have been on the ice for and against (Including Powerplay, Shorthanded, etc.) I would be very interested to see which player seems to be on the ice for most of the goals scored against us including during special team play.

If you've got it great, if not no big deal.
Yup, dead easy. You looking for the last ten or for the year so far?

In a nutshell ... if your name isn't Brewer or Reasoner ... your PK numbers are crap.

And Smith and especially Staios continue to be PK nightmares. Just terrible, terrible, terrible.

Old
12-12-2003, 12:03 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Yup, dead easy. You looking for the last ten or for the year so far?

In a nutshell ... if your name isn't Brewer or Reasoner ... your PK numbers are crap.

And Smith and especially Staios continue to be PK nightmares. Just terrible, terrible, terrible.
1 34 24 21 18 the players on the the PK for the Oilers when they were scored on tonight. Sharks 1 for 4 on the PP and the Oilers 0 for 4 on the PP. The Sharks had a 25% conversion the 'Oil' 0% conversion. That was why the Oiler did not win and barely eked out a tie - almost lost in OT!

This is and has been a problem that this coaching staff has been unable to solve for 2 years. Defensive, breakout, gaining the offensive zone, power play, and penalty kill schemes are what coaches are hired to ingrain, then refine and make work as an overall style of play. When all of these simple coachable schemes are inconsistent at the same time it points to a lack of good coaching and poorly concieved and creative schemes. The style of play also must matchup with the talent which is available to the coaches; they have to use the players skills to best effect.

Player effort and talent comes into question when a team looses because although they can perform well and consistently in some aspect of their style of play (i.e. have excellent breakouts but can't finish around the opponents net) they just don't have enough talent to out perform the other team in the majority of categories. So when a team seems to be running around like newly decapitated chickens it is because they must think before reacting and are always a step behind desperate to catch up. They haven't even learned the system yet never mind excelling within the system because they are refining it as they play.

Coaching is about knowing what to do in order to get the best out of a group of players by communicating with them, being flexible, but then taking control and getting the players to buy-in and commit to the plan. The players must trust that if they do their best to do what the coaches want them to do, and don't succeed, they won't be blamed as the coaches excuse themselves. Hitchcock always says "we" didn't get the job done, not "they" didn't come out with enough intensity. Small change in wording, big rethink on designing a team perspective that exudes confidence.

Old
12-12-2003, 12:51 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
agree with everything you've written. However bear in mind that the Oilers do have good goaltending regardless of what is said and if they could find a little bit more consistency in their finishing would imo easily be winning a lot of games and be challenging for the top, that isn't to say they would become a top tier team just that they would have enough goals to cover their glutes maximumesses when they do screw up, which they DO rather too alarmingly

Old
12-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Scorpion88

Looking for the whole year!!

That would be great!

Old
12-12-2003, 09:53 AM
theoil

Quote:
Just a few numbers that I thought were worth looking at. The Even strength numbers for the Oilers over the last ten games are below. This dates back to the Leafs game, which was the one just before the HC.

PLAYER _____ EV+ ____ EV- ___ EV+/-

LARAQUE ______ 4 ______ 0 ______ 4
ISBISTER _____ 5 _____ -2 ______ 3
HORCOFF ______ 4 _____ -1 ______ 3
STOLL ________ 5 _____ -3 ______ 2
YORK _________ 6 _____ -5 ______ 1
DVORAK _______ 5 _____ -4 ______ 1
HEMSKY _______ 5 _____ -4 ______ 1
SMYTH ________ 5 _____ -5 ______ 0
CHIMERA ______ 2 _____ -2 ______ 0
TORRES _______ 4 _____ -5 _____ -1
OATES ________ 1 _____ -2 _____ -1
SALMELAINEN __ 0 _____ -1 _____ -1
MOREAU _______ 0 _____ -5 _____ -5
PISANI _______ 0 _____ -5 _____ -5

SMITH ________ 6 _____ -2 ______ 4
STAIOS _______ 6 _____ -4 ______ 2
SEMENOV ______ 5 _____ -3 ______ 2
CROSS ________ 6 _____ -5 ______ 1
BREWER _______ 2 _____ -2 ______ 0
BERGERON _____ 4 _____ -6 _____ -2
FERGUSON _____ 3 _____ -8 _____ -5

Surprisingly ... the Oilers have been pretty decent at even-strength over this time, in fact better than average. EV+16 and EV-15 as a team.

Ya know the special teams are a nightmare though. How about ST+4 and ST-16. Good crap, they're down by more than a goal per game, on average, on special teams alone. It's just unreal.

Well, a quick peek seems to give the Horcoff bashers some problems, Pisani, Moreau and Smyth were the world's worst line as many of us thought and Ferguson makes an excellent 7th dman. Also, as many of us think

Old
12-12-2003, 09:54 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
Looking for the whole year!!

That would be great!
Here ya go. The number of minutes of ice-time each player is on the ice, on average ... before he gets outscored by the opposition.

Note: To be fair ... I filtered out the 5 on 3 goals. Also, I factored in the SH markers ... that's obviously an important part of PKing too.

REASONER _____ 23
MOREAU _______ 15
PISANI _______ 13
YORK _________ 8
DVORAK _______ 5
HORCOFF ______ 4
STAIOS _______ 6

These are the guys who have played 30 minutes or more of PK duty.

Mind you, there aren't all that many PK minutes in a game ... so its always a small sample size with this stuff.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Here ya go. The number of minutes of ice-time each player is on the ice, on average ... before he gets outscored by the opposition.

Note: To be fair ... I filtered out the 5 on 3 goals. Also, I factored in the SH markers ... that's obviously an important part of PKing too.

REASONER _____ 23
MOREAU _______ 15
PISANI _______ 13
YORK _________ 8
DVORAK _______ 5
HORCOFF ______ 4
STAIOS _______ 6

These are the guys who have played 30 minutes or more of PK duty.

Mind you, there aren't all that many PK minutes in a game ... so its always a small sample size with this stuff.

The Brewer hates are welcome to chew on this. Just like last year many people did not understand the importance of Reasoner - this year they don't get how critical Brew is to this team. One more point - Pisani should drive Reasoner to the rink every day and pick up his laundry - he owes Marty his job. Ever wonder what a guy with actual RW talent might do with Marty and Moreau (eg Isbister or Rita)?

Old
12-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Scorpion88

Hey Igor,
If youv'e got it. What I really meant was a summary like this:

Player Name
Games Played
Even Strength Goals For (On Ice)
Even Strength Goals Against (On Ice)
Even Strength Goals Differental (On Ice)
Power Play Goals For (On Ice)
Power Play Goals Against (On Ice)
Power Play Goals Differental (On Ice)
Shorthanded Goals For (On Ice)
Shorthanded Goals Against (On Ice)
Shorthanded Goals Differental (On Ice)
TOTAL DIFFERENTIAL

Would I really want to know is who is on the ice for the most goals regardless on situation both for and against.

Old
12-13-2003, 11:57 AM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Pisani should drive Reasoner to the rink every day and pick up his laundry - he owes Marty his job. Ever wonder what a guy with actual RW talent might do with Marty and Moreau (eg Isbister or Rita)?
I like Pisani and his effort with each game, but man, its fustrating to see Isbister on the fourth with Horcoff. he should at the very least be playing with Reasoner and Moreau. Or even Stoll and Rita. Last nights game against phoenix was the first time this year I've seen Laraque play his trade mark game, simply pisses me off. Laraque had a good fight and was excellent creating havoc infront of the 'Yotes net. just about everytime the whistle went off there were atleast three Phoenix players trying to move BG.

GXL

Closed Thread