HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets forget Souray for next season and bring Briere

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-03-2007, 09:36 AM
  #26
YoGman
Registered User
 
YoGman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Nashville is the best team in the league.

Buffalo will have to make a decision between Briere and Drury. Something tells me they'll go with Briere, but you never know.

Drury is the real captain, Drury is the more complete player and Drury has more heart.

I'd prefer signing Drury than Briere, but I'd take either of 'em with open arms.
I echo that sentiment. I am a Sabres fan and would prefer Drury over Briere. I am of the minority here in Buffalo. Drury just brings more to the table in my opinion. Briere is all offense and that's what sells. Fortunately, we have sufficient offense if he walks. I think he will take the money from just about any team. A great player but not worth the 6 + million - for Buffalo - he will command.

I would love to trade Briere for Souray straight up!

YoGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:41 AM
  #27
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think Lecavs has 2 years left.

Hossa isn't a center, which is what we truly lack.
When you're talking about one of the best wingers in the league, does it really matter?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
  #28
its_millertime
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
the rumor is that drury and briere both have tentative agreements with buffalo and that they are just waiting for the season to end so there is no distraction from the season right now.

its_millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:49 AM
  #29
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't think Brière would want to go from a team of winners to a team of losers. Just a guess.
My buddy was at a charity golf tournament and talked to Briere and told him that one of our best friends was a diehard Sabres fan, Briere's response..."Why"?

I don't think he is that loyal, plus Buffalo will try harder to keep Drury over Briere...either way I think that is too much money for a smallish centre which we have too many of already.

Spending $5 plus million on a UFA? How about Ryan Smyth??? Finally a player that will go to the net, take the abuse that is needed to score and lead by example too!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:24 AM
  #30
VaSabresFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia-via Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
It was reported a while ago that Briere is willing to stay in Buffalo, for a 5 year 25 mil contract, which would not be a raise from his current contract, just a long extension. This would leave Buffalo enough to also sign Drury. Darcy Regier has made several comments that Buffalo will have plenty of money to sign both Dru and Danny. Preliminary talks have been on going with Dru and Danny's agents, but both have stated they do not want the distraction during the season and are willing to wait until after the season to talk formally.

Take it for what it's worth . . .

VaSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:33 AM
  #31
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If Souray is really asking for a 5millions/year contract, id say byebye Sheldon and give this money +1 millions or a bit more to Daniel Briere.

Do we need Souray that much? He is only useful on the powerplay and on 5 on 5, he's a "decent" defenceman. Why would we give 5 millions for a offensive defenceman that could give us 25 goals than a potentiel 100pts player?

edit: if Briere accept to play in another team of course, but i think playing in Buffalo is way way better than Montreal.
The key word is "potential". Briere is a nice player but not a 6 million dollar player over his career. 5 would be OK

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:45 AM
  #32
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
When you're talking about one of the best wingers in the league, does it really matter?
I think it does. We don't lack wingers, I don't care of the quality of the winger, if we're taking one in we need to take Kovalev or Samsonov out.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:46 AM
  #33
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
The key word is "potential". Briere is a nice player but not a 6 million dollar player over his career. 5 would be OK
When Koivu is making 4.75 a year, how can you justify paying Briere only 5?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:47 AM
  #34
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
My buddy was at a charity golf tournament and talked to Briere and told him that one of our best friends was a diehard Sabres fan, Briere's response..."Why"?

I don't think he is that loyal, plus Buffalo will try harder to keep Drury over Briere...either way I think that is too much money for a smallish centre which we have too many of already.

Spending $5 plus million on a UFA? How about Ryan Smyth??? Finally a player that will go to the net, take the abuse that is needed to score and lead by example too!
Do yourself a favor and check the size of Buffalo's centers...

I'm tired of people saying such a stupid thing.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 10:54 AM
  #35
VaSabresFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia-via Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Do yourself a favor and check the size of Buffalo's centers...

I'm tired of people saying such a stupid thing.
48 Daniel Briere Center 5-10 180 29
28 Paul Gaustad Center 6-5 230 25
23 Chris Drury Center 5-10 195 30
19 Tim Connolly Center 6-1 187 25
15 Dainius Zubrus Center 6-4 227 28
9 Derek Roy Center 5-9 185 23

There you go

VaSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:00 AM
  #36
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaSabresFan View Post
48 Daniel Briere Center 5-10 180 29
28 Paul Gaustad Center 6-5 230 25
23 Chris Drury Center 5-10 195 30
19 Tim Connolly Center 6-1 187 25
15 Dainius Zubrus Center 6-4 227 28
9 Derek Roy Center 5-9 185 23

There you go
This season:

Daniel Briere 5-10 180
Chris Drury 5-10 195
Derek Roy 5-9 185
Paul Gaustad 6'5 230

Saku Koivu 5-10 187
Tomas Plekanec 5-10 196
Radek Bonk 6'3 210
Maxim Lapierre 6'2 199

Sub Bonk by Briere and there isn't a big size difference between Habs 07-08 and Sabres 06-07

Ps: NJs centers:

Jim Dowd 6'1 180
Scott Gomez 5'11 200
John Madden 5'11 190
Zach Parise 5'11 190

Size = Overrated.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 11:15 AM
  #37
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,183
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Finally someone points out size isn't necessary anymore. If you are big and slow, you aren't going to catch these small fast players.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
  #38
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I think it does. We don't lack wingers, I don't care of the quality of the winger, if we're taking one in we need to take Kovalev or Samsonov out.
Hossa is a franchise player, if you get one of them to build around and you can prettymuch move everyone else to acommodate him.

I'm not saying we don't need a center, just that I wouldn't pass a chance at Hossa up for anything.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
  #39
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Hossa is a franchise player, if you get one of them to build around and you can prettymuch move everyone else to acommodate him.

I'm not saying we don't need a center, just that I wouldn't pass a chance at Hossa up for anything.
No doubt, but unless we get rid of Kovalev, we won't have the cap space.

Hossa is tailor made for our defensive system. He's one of the better 2 way players in the game.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.