HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary at Edmonton "The Battle Of Alberta"

Old
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
At this point, I just hope we can score a goal, lol. Everyone's confidence on the team is shot.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
This is the first battle of alberta game in a long long time that I can't bring myself to really care about.

I can't see myself putting in the necessary effort to watch this game. I'll check the score in the morning.
5-2 or 5-3 Flames is my guess.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:46 PM
OYLer

Will old man time take his toll on Smytty ... I for one, doubt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
He's right bud. I'll be upset if Smyth comes back at anything more than 4 million. Some other Gm can be an idiot and pay him 5.5 or 6.
OneShot_Scorer, have you visited the, Bring Ryan Smyth Back to the Edmonton Oilers petition page yet? I think there are a lot of actual season ticket holders and mini-pack supporters who have plainly made their views known. These are long term Oilers fans who have seen him play live, year-in and year-out.

And if other NHL GMs will sign Smytty, do you think your opinion is better than theirs? Is it because the EIG chooses the cheaper alternative, again and again. Even with Pronger they ran scared and traded cheaply thinking they'd get less if they held their ground. Your opinion is glib and shows, IMHO, a lack of depth of thought. You may be proven right, in the future, as of right now this difference of opinion is not a conclusion anyone can put certainty to.

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Let's Go !!!!

Apparently I am one of the few looking forward to the game tonight? I think the guys will snap out of it and have a better effort tonight. I hope anyone is in in Nedved's place though, he is trying but he is toast at this point.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
I agree, its kind of like a bad car accident, you know that you don't want to look, but you have to.
Thats where I sit right now.

I'm not sure how long the trainwreck lasts or if its the rest of the year. I expect the team will pull its socks up at some point but lots of character guys out.

Great opportunity for flames to rub salt in wounds. But I wonder if they will.

Not sure if this will be a battle or paying of final respects...

We may get a sympathy point

call me crazy

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
If this keeps up, to hell with the game!
Simply the funniest thing I've read all week. Thanks for the laughs.

<grabs popcorn>

Old
03-03-2007, 03:13 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
there are a lot of clueless, ignorant, idiotic flames posters on hfboards.

guzzy isn't one of them. i'd rather read what he says more than 3/4 of the oilers posters.

that being said, g'oilers!

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 03:54 PM
OYLer

Elephants really have been shown to forget but not OYLer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post

guzzy isn't one of them. i'd rather read what he says more than 3/4 of the oilers posters.

Well it's a little unsettling to see how intensely The Human Torch burns for guzzy but i agree with you, although, not as passionately as you do T H T. Sometimes I agree with guzzy and sometimes not, I tend to think he.. er? her... one of those Flaming Red shirted er... skirted guys does at least sometimes cite facts and reasons for his er... her postits er... postettes?

Genderly, it really doesn't matter, but Tread Lightly Flames Fans, when next Calgary hits a new Lowe-like pit (and they will) you don't want OYLer showing up on your Boards and sticking deep the dagger, again and again and again...

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
RKD

Did anyone bet any vCash on this game? (For the Oilers to win.)

Call me crazy, but I'm going to go with the Oil on this one. I thought they were going to lose the previous two, and that they did. Tonight I have a weird feeling, but in all honesty, all I want to see is a couple of goals and competitive hockey. Hopefully they can provide that.

Let's not let the Flames get closer to home ice advantage.

Go Oilers Go!

P.S. I'm not drunk.

03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
oilfaninvan

part of me wants to win 8-0 and the other part wants to lose 8-0.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Meh... I love the Oilers... but the GM gave up, and the players have clearly given up.

I am far too competitive a person to sit and watch the team I love get worked by thier bitter rivals. I have been numb since Ryan got traded. It may sound stupid, but the feeling is similar to when the Jets left town (obviously not as strong).

I may watch the playoffs here and there, but honestly... I'd rather go outside and play shinny, or a million other things. I will be front and centre to cheer the Oilers on again next year, and will of course be really interested to see what happens in the off season.

If this isn't a handshake deal between Smyth and Lowe to come back next year I will be utterly dissapointed.
Yup. The GM gave up, dont know why they expect the players to show up. I have better things to do on a Saturday night.

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post

I agree, Guzzy, Dogbert, and MrMastonFarm(can't remember his name think this is close) are all fine. Phanutier on the other hand.

As for the game, I agree that we suck and even though I would like to lost the rest of the year and get a good pick, that all changes when we face the Flames. Beating them is well worth 1 or 2 spots in the draft and it would still be nice to beat them even if we were 0-81.

I think this game will be close either way. We will play to the best of our abilities because it is the Flames we are playing and it should be tight. I know the team looks deflated right now, but hopefully their pride and hate for the Flames takes over and they can put in a good effort tonight.

We win tonight 3-1 and then lose our next 6 after that.

Hemskyfanboy83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I agree, Guzzy, Dogbert, and MrMastonFarm(can't remember his name think this is close) are all fine. Phanutier on the other hand.

As for the game, I agree that we suck and even though I would like to lost the rest of the year and get a good pick, that all changes when we face the Flames. Beating them is well worth 1 or 2 spots in the draft and it would still be nice to beat them even if we were 0-81.

I think this game will be close either way. We will play to the best of our abilities because it is the Flames we are playing and it should be tight. I know the team looks deflated right now, but hopefully their pride and hate for the Flames takes over and they can put in a good effort tonight.

We win tonight 3-1 and then lose our next 6 after that.
Yep. Compared to other boards and times we get a pretty good group of flames fans running here. Class acts and little to complain about. Emotions are running real high here though and lets see if we can keep it cool a bit guys. Not every word uttered needs to be taken as vitriol

not really a battle now anyhoo

Old
03-03-2007, 05:10 PM
hibbleton

You know, the Oilers are one of those teams. A team that is out of contention, cold as ice and expected by everyone to lose but (maybe!) somehow manages to pull off a big upset.

If I'm MacT, I'm telling them to go out there, have fun, throw some big hits and try to frustrate the Flames. I would love a Flames-Predators matchup in the first round.

I'm going to say 3-2 Oilers.

hibbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Meh... I love the Oilers... but the GM gave up, and the players have clearly given up.

I am far too competitive a person to sit and watch the team I love get worked by thier bitter rivals. I have been numb since Ryan got traded. It may sound stupid, but the feeling is similar to when the Jets left town (obviously not as strong).

I may watch the playoffs here and there, but honestly... I'd rather go outside and play shinny, or a million other things. I will be front and centre to cheer the Oilers on again next year, and will of course be really interested to see what happens in the off season.

If this isn't a handshake deal between Smyth and Lowe to come back next year I will be utterly dissapointed.
I totally understand and sympathize with where you're coming from, jet. And I'd agree, it looks very much like the players and GM have given up. I don't blame you for being frustrated and feeling like going out to play shinny instead (I'd probably do that myself, if I hadn't just sustained a concussion doing that very thing two nights ago). However....I do want to point out:

I think that the true test of a winner (as a person or as a team) and a competitor is how someone responds in the face of adversity. It's easy enough to say someone's a winner when they have the talent and drive to beat everybody else. It's harder, but *more rewarding*, to be shorthanded, yet battle hard and win a meaningless game. That, to me, is the true definition of a competitor and a winner.

The same goes, in a sense, for fans. It's easy enough for all of us to cheer the Oilers when they're winning, and when they go into the playoffs and reach the Finals. It's more difficult in situations like this--but being able to root for one's team even when they're up against great challenges and difficulty is what being a true fan is all about (look at the Cubs and Red Sox as examples of that).

I hope the Oilers, and we fans, will approach tonight's game as winners, whether the Oilers win or not.

--Dave

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Matts

Any idea what the lineup is?

19 out and 20 or 26 in and what are the lines? Is Greene gonna play with Svyret again? Good lord that's a terrible d-pairing.

Actually there's not a word that can accurately describe it,.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
I dunno about you guys, but i am extremly dissapointed with this Oiler team. Man i cannot, CANNOT believe we were shutout to games straight. If this Team is like this without Smyth, ONE PLAYER, then this team's troubles go below what we're seeing. I cannot believe my i eyes, and it sickens me to say this, but if this is the passion we see, then we are a joke. If one player leaving breaks the team, then they dont deserve tog get paid millions and millions of dollars. With that in mind, i hope that The Oilers get some sucess, i hope they show up to play with intensity, and to play with grit, heart and a soul.

4-2 Oilers

MAP, Torres (x2), Lupul

Hemsky with a 2 point night.

Regher and Warrener

LETS GO OILERS, SHOW THEM WHAT YOUR MADE OFF!!!

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Lunatik*

good luck tonight guys... hope its an entertianing game

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:36 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
good luck tonight guys... hope its an entertianing game
It will be entertaining for you to watch your guys pad their stats tonight, I'm sure.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
bcrt2000

Did I just see the Oilers are wearing the blue & orange again?

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
faneuil

I propose we start an Oilers drinking game.

That would keep the games entertaining at this point.

faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Sniprt

Smyth and MAB are racking up the points tonight for the Islanders (combined with 4 points). Let's hope the Oilers can too.

Sniprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:12 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

I gotta say I love the Edmonton retros

03-03-2007, 09:12 PM
stangconv

Phaneufs a pansy...

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
If this keeps up, to hell with the game!
I hear ya!