HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My email to the post on Larry Brooks

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
RGF

vCash: 500
My email to the post on Larry Brooks

Dear Mr. Gallo and Mr. Klayman:

I have been a New York Ranger fan my whole life. My best friend, Hugh Jessiman, was drafted this summer by the Rangers. I do have a problem with some of Larry Brooks' articles. He has more than 3 times in the last month written about trades between the Rangers and Washington for Jagr. Every legitimate source says this is untrue, and Brooks' persistence on the subject is a waste of an article in your newspaper. I am a huge fan of the Post, and enjoy reading it, but you guys have to tell him to stop writing on that stuff. It's boring and repetitive-maybe you guys should fire him if he writes another article on it. If the trade happens, which it wont, you guys can laugh at me, but Brooks has no hockey sense. You could put ads in the Post looking for a journalist to cover the Rangers, and I guarantee you that you would find a better columnist.

Merry Christmas,

RGF

Old
12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

You think Rupert Murdoch (and his son) give a damn what Larry Brooks writes? All they care about is selling newspapers. If you want to "hurt" the NYPost, stop reading Larry Brooks. The fact that you're responding to him just tells them you're hooked.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Barnaby

As much as the guy gets under my skin I'm not going to complain. At least there is someone writing about the Rangers.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
You think Rupert Murdoch (and his son) give a damn what Larry Brooks writes? All they care about is selling newspapers. If you want to "hurt" the NYPost, stop reading Larry Brooks. The fact that you're responding to him just tells them you're hooked.

aaaand...it's a very unprofessional letter. It seems more like a rant, than a fan concerned with the quality of Brooks' articles. Keep in mind, these rumors are real. Regardless of who says what, talks were made between Slats and the Caps' management. That seems to be the consistent truth in all these 'rumors'. As it stands right now LB really isn't doing much else than stirring the pot a little bit. A pot, I might add, that has been simmering for a quite some time. Just my two cents.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:30 PM
RGF

thx for telling me its unprofessional...it wasnt really one of my concerns to make it professional cus i dont care about brooks or ever working there. but u did get it right that it was a rant, bc he could at least cover other topics dealing with the rangers.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF
thx for telling me its unprofessional...it wasnt really one of my concerns to make it professional cus i dont care about brooks or ever working there. but u did get it right that it was a rant, bc he could at least cover other topics dealing with the rangers.
RGF he wasn't trying to put you down by calling the letter unprofessional. He was trying to point out to you that you wasted your time because no one would take a letter like that seriously. If you really want to let the post know that you think Larry Brooks is a terrible writing who is hurting the paper, at least sound like you are old enough to vote. This isn't a personal attack, but your letter did look like you wrote it during your freshman year in high school.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:15 PM
ihatenewjersey

u can't hurt brooks, everytime he writes one of his mad rumors, it leaks onto all the websites in the league which means, everyone is looking at what he is gonna write the next day just because....

Old
12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
RGF

dont worry guys-i m not mad at anyone i know it reads s----y, but i wrote it at 130 in the morning..bc i had just read the article and was pissed. im up here at dartmouth so i cant be too ********..i kinda had that message board slang to it kinda lol oops. i was jsut upset hes a waste. it was mroe a sarcastic note than an official letter that was the merry xmas part.

im sorry for letting you guys down by thinking im uneducated haha but happ holidays to all

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 12-09-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Old
12-09-2003, 05:53 PM
RGF

sorry for the typos ---im taking finals now...so im kinda stressed...now im sure you guys think im dumb..

i did play hockey for taft though in the new england prep league so i should know a thing or 2 about hockey

Old
12-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF
dont worry guys-i m not mad at anyone i know it reads s----y, but i wrote it at 130 in the morning..bc i had just read the article and was pissed. im up here at dartmouth so i cant be too ********..i kinda had that message board slang to it kinda lol oops. i was jsut upset hes a waste. it was mroe a sarcastic note than an official letter that was the merry xmas part.

im sorry for letting you guys down by thinking im uneducated haha but happ holidays to all

I don't think you're uneducated...I just thought the letter could have been a little more polished is all. No big deal.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:32 AM
LondonFan

He writes for the news media, its his job to come up with all that rubbish (which sometimes is also true).

Old
12-10-2003, 06:47 AM
oldtimer

I don't understand

why you have such a problem with brooks writing about a possible trade for Jagr? I'm not saying I want it to happen - I don't - but obviously his sources (and as a NY sportswriter on the scene for many years, he has developed many legitimate ones) tell him there has been serious discussions between the two clubs, and where ther's smoke there sometimes is fire. It may never happen; only a few trade proposals end up happening, but reporting it doesn't make him bad in my eyes; its his duty to report it. It would be a truly major news item if it actually happens, which would define the team for years. It deserves frequent updates, and the speculation is what being interested in the Rangers is all about. I detest Sather, but I don't mind Brooks pointing out how clueless he truly is about what this team needs.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:28 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Brook's job is to sell papers. If selling papers means he writes the rangers are interested in jagr 100 times... then guess what we will read it 100 times.
a better letter would say, I will now no longer buy or read the post. I will also actively boycott any company that advertises with you until brooks is fired. I have 5 million friends who feel the exact same way.

Old
12-12-2003, 04:14 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
Brook's job is to sell papers. If selling papers means he writes the rangers are interested in jagr 100 times... then guess what we will read it 100 times.
a better letter would say, I will now no longer buy or read the post. I will also actively boycott any company that advertises with you until brooks is fired. I have 5 million friends who feel the exact same way.

Comical...but ultimately right on the money.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:28 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
Brooks is always very interesting and a bit hypocritical. Some days he wants the team to build and only wants players who will play for the sweater first. On other days he lobbies for the hype of stars to sell the game for the skake of the sport, a sport which is completely ignored here now.

In NYC, hockey is invisible media wise, it's a baseball city year round now and nothing is going to change that.

I think this is Brooks way of tying to get hockey some hype because from Oct-April winning and losing is just not a big enough story anymore and he's competing with the baseball writers.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Barnaby

I say keep Brooks around. He may be nutty and hypocritical and annoying and a jerk and a .... well you get the point. But ya know what? When I pick up the paper in July eager for hockey, guess who the only one is who has an article on the Rangers. Maybe it sounds gay but as dumb as the story may be it still makes me a little happier just to read anything about this team that I love and hate so much.

Old
12-12-2003, 10:00 AM
kidchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF

Well you're a lot more educated than this high school drop out!!! But I do agree with your points...regardless of how they are written or at what level they are written at. You guys have Brooks, we have Bruce Garrioch. Wanna trade????

Closed Thread