HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How should the Canadiens be managed?

Old
03-03-2007, 04:09 PM
As the Glorious Weep

vCash: 500
How should the Canadiens be managed?

I hear a lot of people complaining about the Habs management lately. However, would you do better than Gainey at managing the team and Carbo at coaching the team?

So, imagine that tomorrow, Pierre Boivin fires both Gainey and Carbo and tells you that YOU are now the Habs' General Manager and coach, what would you do?

Personnel
Do you favor building with drafting or free agents?
How would you build the teams' talent?
How would you develop your kids?
How would you ensure that no clicks form and that there is a good atmosphere?
On what basis would you draft players? Best player available or needs of the organization? What quality in a player would be most important to you?
What criteria would you use to choose which players you sign as free agents?
How do you attract free agents?
How would you fit all that under the salary cap?
What players would you remove from the team?

Defensive System or Offensive System
Do you favour offense or defense?
What is your system? Describe it.

If you come up with more questions, please add.

P.S.: you are allowed to say that you would trade Saku Koivu, but any dissing of Koivu in any circumstances whatsoever will be dealt with swiftly and violently.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
I hear a lot of people complaining about the Habs management lately. However, would you do better than Gainey at managing the team and Carbo at coaching the team?
I would do better than Gainey at managing the team. However, I would do worse than Carbo at coaching the team. (I know this because I win my fantasy hockey leagues often enough to know that I'm good at swapping assets and at the draft, which is of course all it takes to be a good GM, but even still, I don't feel like I could remotely handle coaching... I've never even played EASports NHL Hockey )
Quote:
So, imagine that tomorrow, Pierre Boivin fires both Gainey and Carbo and tells you that YOU are now the Habs' General Manager and coach, what would you do?
I would hire Carbo as my coach and Gainey as my assistant GM (and fire Pierre Gauthier). I would celebrate. I would finally be able to post here with AUTHORITY! And you would all hate me even more!
Quote:
Personnel
Mix. Any other answer would be stupid. Try to draft well, try to sign good free agents if you can.
Quote:
I'd let Gainey continue his current plan, that seems to be working to perfection.
Quote:
Trade away all the francophones, never draft another one, trade away all the Russians, never draft another one, and put the name "Smith" on the back of every player's jersey. No really, it's all just about individuals. I'd definitely give a cold shoulder to the media that I identify as having an agenda, but aside from that, just build with good kids, good people, they come from everywhere. If we've got any slackers, it's because of who they are not where they're from, and I would show no mercy whatsoever in purging them from the team.
Quote:
On what basis would you draft players? Best player available or needs of the organization? What quality in a player would be most important to you?
Character. Heart, willingness to do anything it takes to win. Size and nationality wouldn't matter at all. I think "best player available" is a misleading concept; I would pick a lot of guys like Kyle Chipchura, and people would therefore say I don't pick the "best player available", except I'd think he actually was the best player available.
Quote:
I would only sign good ones. And really, the only way to lure them is to show them the money. Which means you can't afford mistakes, because here, we'd be overpaying for anybody we lured. It also means I'd have to be a bloodthirsty maniac in terms of wielding my battleaxe on any signings that didn't work out. Samsonov would be McGillised if nobody would take him, for example. Whether that scares away other UFAs or not, we need that money freed up.
Quote:
Per above, using the bloodthirsty approach.
Quote:
Samsonov, gone. Kovalev I would try to trade, even though I think he gets a raw deal at times. I wouldn't get too worked up about it or let it go at all public however. I'm also fine with keeping him and turning him loose more often. Still and all, he won't score 20 goals and he might not crack 50 points. That's not a good investment of $4.5M no matter how you look at it, so if I can make the right trade, I'd do it. If I can't, fine, he's not going to be axed like Samsonov. I'd throw Bouillon under the wheels of the next passing locomotive too. I don't think he's at all bad as a #5/6 defenseman in the NHL, but his salary is just too far out of whack with what he brings. I don't mind overpaying at the top end of our salary scale, sometimes that's necessary, but I think it's a sheer waste of money to do it at the bottom end.
Quote:
That's up to my coach. And since I re-hired Carbo, I guess it stays the same. We have a young team, and I agree that they need to learn defense. At the same time, we also have capabilities to attack more, but I think that it's fair that freedom on that side of the ice is earned only once the lessons at the other end are mastered. And we're clearly far far away from mastering those lessons.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 04:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Personnel

If you come up with more questions, please add.

P.S.: you are allowed to say that you would trade Saku Koivu, but any dissing of Koivu in any circumstances whatsoever will be dealt with swiftly and violently.
See the Buffalo Sabres. That is the way to do it right !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:22 PM
BLONG7

I don't think that Boivin can fire Gainey...I remember reading an article that BG says he reports to Gillette...anyhow, honestly guys, do you really think you can do a better job than BG...If BG couldn't get a Shanahan to Montreal, then who can???? It has to be done with the draft, and patience, something Habs fans do not have...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Melvin Udall

A lot better than they currentlly are!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
A lot better than they currentlly are!
What a detailed plan you little rat!

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Reuben

you build through the draft and player development mainly. you always build from the ground up. IMO

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
you build through the draft and player development mainly. you always build from the ground up. IMO
And thats exactly what Gainey has been, and currently is, doing. For all of your naysayers just look at this team compared to when Gainey took over and try to tell me he hasn't done a hell of a job. I know you'll say, oh but the scouts, the scouts! but in reality Gainey hired these people and he has final say on everything.

He's made great trades, made the right choices developing players, and done an overall damn good job.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:34 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Personnel
A good mix of both. UFA age is now 27! You cant only build with draft.

A mix of player who drive to the net, intensity and skills.

Just like the HABS right now.

Well.. the players got their personality. They always will have best friends. But communication is the key. Be close your players. Among them.

On what basis would you draft players? Best player available or needs of the organization?
Best player available

What quality in a player would be most important to you?
Competitor.

Can he help more then what I have in place? Does he deserves this type of money?

Pushing the great organization... so we will have to be again a top notch organization in the office. How did Lecavalier and Crosby went to Rimouski? cause they were praised at great organization.

Big money at Key position. High profile goalie exmeple Luongo. 1 defenseman PP, key center.

Kovalev, he is talking trash and isnt happy here. I dont appreciate the view he as of things. The glass is always half-empty. He blame on different things when he only have him to blame.

Offense.

Easy.. when we have the puck, a unit of 5 is on offense. When we dont have the puck, we must recover it!

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Reuben

Free agents haven't been the way to go for a long time, maybe it will change with the age being reduced for UFA's we'll see. you can't buy the Stanley cup thank goodness, it has been tried without success.
Maybe if hockey was Baseball you could buy a champioship.

Old
03-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Mackee

Our lineup on paper suggests we'd be a fast, attacking team. How about we try that for a while? It worked for us at the beginning of the year (remember when we were in 4th by a fair margin?), until someone decided we'd be better off trapping when we clearly do not have the personnel to do so. But I'll answer the questions originally posted as well.

Personnel
Do you favor building with drafting or free agents? A mix of both. I think we're on the right track when it comes to drafting, now it's a question of being able to lure free agents to Montreal, something we all know is no easy feat.
How would you build the teams' talent? Depends on the prospect really. I think a guy like Kostitsyn needs a spot on the top six at this point for maximum output. Some prospects need more time in juniors/the AHL. Also depends on the current depth at any particular position. While Aebischer will most likely be gone after this season, we still have Halak, Leighton and Danis all ahead of Carey Price. Thus, we can afford to let Price develop in Hamilton getting a good chunk of the workload.
How would you develop your kids? See above.
How would you ensure that no clicks form and that there is a good atmosphere? Team functions are a pretty good place to start. Not sure how many of those they actually do. A positive attitude from ownership down also will help. We're in a transition phase. Mistakes will happen, learning from these mistakes is what should be focused on not just merely pointing them out. Again, we don't know how well this is pointed out to our younger guys.
On what basis would you draft players? Best player available or needs of the organization? What quality in a player would be most important to you? Needs of the organization. One quality that should be prevalent in any player we draft is a positive attitude. We need guys who are willing to learn as they mature. That'll lead to a solid group of players who all possess a strong attitude. They should be good hockey players as well.
What criteria would you use to choose which players you sign as free agents? Depends on who's available, how much salary they'll command and what they can bring to our team. We need a gamebreaker up front and a solid top pairing defenseman (in my eyes).
How do you attract free agents? Considering the language, taxes and such, we'd need to overpay to attract a UFA.
How would you fit all that under the salary cap? You've gotta look at who's making their money and who's not. There isn't any real way we can manoeuvre under the cap given how close we are to it. It's supposed to go up next year but does that mean we're signing Souray for five million plus?
What players would you remove from the team? I can't see Aebischer re-signing here as a UFA. He wants to be a starter and so far has done little to merit a starting job with Huet in front of him. Niinimaa makes way too much money for what he brings so he's another player I don't see re-signing here unless its for a huge paycut. It's easy and tempting to say Kovalev given his lack of offensive output and salary but does anyone really think Gainey and co. are just going to buy out the rest of his salary? Ditto for Samsonov.

Defensive System or Offensive System? As I've said, we don't have the right people to play defensive hockey despite how our GM and coaches played in the past. Jacques Lemaire was an offensive player in his career and has since become a guru of the trap. Does that mean our coaches can't coach offensive hockey simply because of how they played in their respective careers? We have the speed to play run and gun. It's what brought us early success and I believe if we return to it, we will win hockey games.
Do you favour offense or defense? Personally? A mix of both but I'd go with offense.
What is your system? Describe it. Again, I don't have a system (if this is being asked from a personal standpoint). It all depends with what you have to work with. I'm a fan of the original trap. That's three forecheckers pressing deep in the attacking zone. If done properly, the puck can stay in the offensive zone for minutes. Opponents will have a hard time changing on the fly, will wear themselves out chasing the puck around their zone. Of course there are drawbacks to this, such as leaving yourself open for the opponent to break out on odd man rushes. This happens to a team like Buffalo quite often yet they currently sit atop the league standings. If it can work for them, I think it can work for us as well. Of course keeping guys like Bouillon and Dandenault paired together...

Last edited by Mackee: 03-03-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canindian View Post
See the Buffalo Sabres. That is the way to do it right !
The Buffalo Sabres were patient with their young players, we should be with ours.

Afinogenov, Campbell and Kotalik improved a lot around the age of 26-27. They had some pretty miserable years before that and now they are a big part of their team.

Maybe we should be patient with Plekanec (already showing some great things), Perezhogin, Higgins (huge potential) and Kostitsyn (huge potential).

We have a very good mix of young players on this team and we should be happy about it and give them a chance to developp.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Mike8

Fun armchair thread.

Quote:
No, but I think Gainey's made some foreseeable (and inexcusable) errors this season.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. If there are good free agents that complement the team, then you get them. But the draft is always a team's life preserver.

Well, this is an easier said than done question. But ensuring the staff in place for scouting, then for development are of utmost importance. Keeping on top of this and being proactive is important, in my view. And what seems to be lacking currently that I believe in is a good level of communication. A player/prospect should know what's expected.

I can buy (and believe) keeping the employees (in this case, players) in the dark occasionally regarding whether they're doing a competent job keeps them on edge and motivated ... but objectives are important (whether it be fitness, or specific plays on-ice).

Keep a faint light on at the end of the tunnel, in other words.

Aside from what was already mentioned, a winning minor league environment isn't a bad thing.

Cliques are natural. Winning solves all potential problems in this regard.

Aside from that, knowing the respective player personalities, being a good judge of character, and gauging whether specific players need to be isolated and/or mentored into being better teammates is useful. In which case, position in the lockerroom/team bus/camp scrimmages/road roommates ... that's where to handle the eccentric personalities.

Hockey sense first and foremost. Willingness to compete and work hard secondly. That can take two forms: either in outright tenacity, or through ego. Kovalev, or Semin, or Datsyuk fit in the latter category; they want the puck, so they'll work all the harder to get it back on their stick. They dislike being upstaged, so they play better against flashy opponents they respect.

Skating next. Puck reception skills next. Body type after that (growth potential).

Well, on the basis that the free agent would help my team.

Oh, I don't know how it's done exactly. Put together some DVD about how terrific the city is, the tradition for hockey, the passion for the game, yadda yadda yadda. More importantly, understanding the individual you're dealing with, what their objectives are, and their interests are ... these are more important factors. if their objectives fit in with yours for the organization, then make that clear. It's easier said than done, but proving you're credible in your objectives and have a firm grasp of how to accomplish them are of utmost importance when selling.

Easily. Draft well. See, Gainey's done this well: Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Streit, Gorges, Perezhogin, Lapierre, Latendresse are all roster players & contributors that are cap friendly. Halak, Kostitsyn, Grabovski (maybe), Cote were all able to play in the NHL this season. So really, we're looking at roughly half the club with incredibly cap-friendly contracts.

Add in the fact that Souray and Markov are bargains, and the team's in lovely shape cap-wise.

The problem lies in the fact that a lot of depth players are earning a whole lot of cash. It's wasted opportunity here.

Niinimaa, Aebischer, Bouillon (if possible--that contract is simply too bad). Those three would be automatics.

Johnson, Bonk, Souray, Markov are the impending UFAs. Of those four, Markov would be the priority. The other three are not of absolute necessity, and my inclination to re-sign them would depend on their demands. If Souray were prepared to come back at $4 - $4.5m, I'd sign him up. Anything more and I'd pass.

Souray's not bad defensively. He was a defensive defenseman before he got his shot tamed. But he was a good #5 defenseman back then. I liked him okay as a #4. But that was in the old NHL. I like to think he's improved, so he's probably still a legit #4 with a big shot. I'd pay him a fair bit, but I wouldn't pay him as though he was a star. He's not.

On Johnson and Bonk: stabilizers, for sure. But production from the third line is a necessity for me. And in that department, both have been disappointments. $2m for defensive specialists is too rich for my blood.

On Samsonov: I wouldn't necessarily look to dump him because I don't think a buyout would be worthwhile and I doubt a proper return could be had. So unless I saw a decent return to be had, I'd look to stick him with complementary players and have him play offensive catalyst for awhile. See if he can get out of his funk and provide some scoring from the bottom six; not as punishment, but because he'd get more breathing room.

I favour fundamentals and smart hockey. Depends on the roster, but I believe in a strong, aggressive forecheck against most teams (since most teams struggle against tough forechecks), and an aggressive, up-tempo transition offense.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
Our lineup on paper suggests we'd be a fast, attacking team. How about we try that for a while? It worked for us at the beginning of the year (remember when we were in 4th by a fair margin?), until someone decided we'd be better off trapping when we clearly do not have the personnel to do so.
we don't currently have the personel for either option really we are clearly a team in transition.
Sure we can try all out offence but be prepared to lose 8 to 6 instead of 3 to 2. our team can't even keep the puck out of it's own net..this isn't just the goalies fault.
how many times have we seen the other team use the back door play on us? everyone watches the puck instead of picking up the man closet to them. until these guys learn the simplest defensive things(this includes forwards as well), there's no way i'd go to an offensive system.

BTW you add free agents to the mix, not build with them. free agents are a good way to plug some holes though.

Old
03-03-2007, 10:27 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Personnel
Drafting, but you fix any needs through free agency.

Have the coaching staff in Hamilton work with the kids and implicate the current Habs system. I'd get them to work with them on foot-speed and backchecking but all the same making sure they remain creative and focus on dictating the game to suit their strengths

See above.

Team meals, team events during days off. I'd take them out and divide them up, make groups of three.. Europeans, French and English and then make sure one of each was in every group and make sure everyone had a chance to be with everyone else. Let everyone see eachothers personalities so they know no one is any different and they all can get along.

Best player available. Speed and Desire would be the most important to me. Does the player disappear when the team is down a goal? Or is it a player who elevates his play.

I'd always give my prospects the chance first. However, if they weren't capable of it, I'd make sure they were well scouted and the deal totalled no more than two years. That way I'm not stuck with the contract if they pull a Samsonov.

I'd just talk with them, tell them my vision of the future. What role I want them to take and how they will be treated. If they don't want to be a part of my team and a part of my visions than that is their decision.

Good mix of prospects and players.

Kovalev, Downey, Murray, Niinimaa, Aebischer, Dandenault, Bouillon and Samsonov.

Offensive system a la Sabres.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Fun thread indeed.

There's not too much to say about building a team. Draft well and draft often. So I guess that means holding onto high draft picks as a rule. Free agents are tricky. It's generally very hard to sign a true bargain. To even compete for the good ones, you have to commit both to length and money. And it's usually a sunk investment. UFAs don't often get traded, partly because that's the cost of making the winning bid. I like Blind Gardien's McGillis-ing approach, at least to sound like a tough guy from here. But frankly, I wouldn't be a good UFA GM. Too fussy.

I would develop talent at least by having my own farm team. I can't figure out why some teams disperse their best prospects throughout the AHL, playing for different organizations and coaches, with different players. I actually think it's important to treat one's AHL franchise as a mini NHL franchise, at least in the sense of hiring veteran FAs who aren't prospects but still play a good AHL game. I also like the idea of having classes of prospects, like school, though usually in 2 year cycles. It's about chemistry, maturity, and stability as much as it is pure hockey skills.

I'd get rid of Aebischer, Niinimaa, Samsonov to start. Next year is not soon enough. Pure deadweight. Murray and Downey, who cares? They make peanuts, and they're the 22nd and 23rd players on the roster. I certainly don't want a rookie/prospect in that role. He'd be better served playing real minutes in real game situations in Hamilton. Keep those two, lose them -- it doesn't really matter because their replacements wouldn't play much anyway.

But then it gets complicated. I've come full circle on Bouillon. Started out thinking he was an overachieving fringe NHLer, a true 22nd roster spot holder. But noooo, he had to convince me otherwise last year. Now I just don't know. Never mind trade, I don't even know if he'd pass through waivers. But I'm sceptical that changing Bouillon or Dandenault for the same price would make much of a difference. Sure, we say both contracts suck, but who's better for cheaper? Maybe it's time to form a committee of Gorges, Emelin/O'Byrne. But if Souray or Markov don't return, then it's just a mess. Throwing money at whoever is left on July 2nd.

As for coaching, I like defence, I like offence, but I like physical dominance more. It's not about running players through the boards, it's about territoriality. The corners and the front of the nets belong to us, but we will let you hide on the perimeter all night long. I believe that when you control the contested spaces, the collision zones, only then can you exploit the open ice. A quick hit offensive style is unsustainable. You need to be able to win games strictly by winning the 60 minute battle for the key territory. If you can do that consistently against any team, the rest will take care of itself.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Habs721*

Draft well and draft often. To steal a quote.

Show patience with the young guys. Build depth throughout the system.

Manage your assets. Good example is getting a 1st for Rivet.

When the system is brimming with developed and developing talent and you're dealing from a positiion of strength pull the trigger on the big trade to land the one or two players to put you over the top. The big talented veteran center, the dominant D-man. In the meantime, let the youngs guys develop some chemistry.

Spend wisely in Free Agency. And make the place attractive to FAs.

(You have to wonder about the message it sends to potential FAs from other teams when your big name signing, Samsonov, is in a dispute with coach two months into his tenure as a Hab. Not saying Samsoniv didn't deserve to be benched, but it makes it look as though any FA must produce from Day 1 or his life will made a living hell by the fans, media, and coaching staff. Not particularly enticing).

Make sure the coaching staff isn't screwing things up.

To digress a little,

Hate to say it, but this was the wrong team to have a rookie head coach. I get the impression that the vets on this team are not enamored of Carbonneau. It certainly looks as though Guy didn't handle the team well when things started to go bad. Didn't exactly inspire the team to pull out of its tailspin.

Oh well. He's a rookie. (Let's hoping he's learning valuable lessons along the way).

Anyway, I have complete confidence that Gainey knows how to build a contender.

Just hope the fans and media and unrealistic short term expectations don't pressure him into doing something stupid.

Habs721* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Both. Obviously, core building is mostly done through drafting. Helpful finishing touches are done with free agency. Free agency is also important in that it is also a time to retain player, not just acquire new ones.

Quote:
Talent, consistency, character. Roughly in that order. Three things that have been lacking in Montreal for the better part of the last ten years, since Serge Savard was undeservedly fired.

I would also stop the insanity of trading anytime I have a semblance of depth, just to make room for so-so talents.

Quote:
Put some real emphasis on the AHL. Hire the best coach money can buy. Get the farm as close to Montreal as possible. Montreal is still a rich franchise no matter what they say. Team expenses such as coaching do not count against the cap and can give you a real edge.

Make a real tradition of high profile coaches in the AHL. Make sure from now on every Montreal Habs coach has first coached the farm team first.

Have an identical system in place.

And above all, never share the farm team with another NHL team. Ever. They can rot for all I care.

Quote:
Have some real leadership for a change. Ignore media talk. Have a consistent core of players. (that last item is in place, they're just not the right players)

Quote:
On what basis would you draft players? Best player available or needs of the organization?
You should always draft the player that evaluate as the best available. If you don't, you should be fired.

Quote:
What quality in a player would be most important to you?
Talent, consistency and character are big on my list. One other important aspect is how close you are to the NHL. With a lowered UFA age, draftiing players who will take 5 years to develop in the first round is a waste. Ideally, you want a player that will be in the league at 20 years old.

I listed talent first. What is talent? It doesn't matter to me. I think that taking players based on singular qualities (scoring, speed, etc...) is a waste. You need to look at the whole package and take the best talent available. Whether he is accomplishing his thing due to his size, speed or stickhandling. You want guys who deliver and are gamechangers.

One last quality in players that I look for is homegrown talent. I have a great admiration for the teams in Alberta, for instance. Who always have a couple of local kids. Ideally, as an organisation, you want at least a few players who will spend their summer here if they make an early playoff exit. People who care or have no choice but to care. Not just a bunch of guys who fly off in the summer.

So at equal impact I take the local kid. Otherwise, I take the best player available. I'd make sure to have a strong scouting system in Europe, CHL, NCAA.

Quote:
Free agent is when you get picky with the kind of talent you get. If most of your forwards are small, inconsistent and heartless, you don't sign Sergei Samsonov. You want players who bring what you missing as far as the position they play and the talent they bring.

You should also make sure that you are on the same wavelength as your coach before signing a guy. Just in case your $3M player ends up on a 4th line.

Quote:
There are two ways to do that. Money is the obvious first one. Second is by being a top notch organization. Show leadership from top to bottom. It starts with the President (even the owner) all the way down. Have also a clear direction for the team on the ice. Once you are building a true contender, players will come a bit more easily.

Quote:
You need to balance youth and experience. Drafting and developing is of the utmost importance. You also need to take great care with the signings between $1M and $3.5M. A lot of talk on HF goes toward outrageously high salaries but a couple of threads a few years ago really highlited that it's the median salaries who kill teams and handcuff them. Crap signings like Dandenault or Sammy, for instance. These salaries add up fast.

Quote:
This team is hopeless with the curent experienced core. You need to start from scratch. Fortunately, the younger players and prospects show some promise. The rest would be up for grab as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
Depends on the core of players I would have. I favor balance but you have to go with your players too. I kinda like a hard forechecking team under the current rules for 5 on 5 and you need a strong PP and a hot goalie.

You also need a team that does not get intimidated AND that can respond to intimidation with intimidation.

A couple of points that I couldn't cover in the questions: I'd also look into having some more European staff at both the AHL and NHL level. Be a welcoming environment where foreign players adapt a little quicker.

And I wouldn't trade one of my most skilled offensive forward for the declining 8th defenseman of another team and kill my playoffs hope in the process. I'd try to sell high at least.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:52 AM
tinyzombies

We're stockpiling kids for the day when the UFA age limit is lowered and we can snag a franchise guy to take over for Saku. By then all these guys will have a couple years under their belts.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:16 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I don't think that Boivin can fire Gainey...I remember reading an article that BG says he reports to Gillette...anyhow, honestly guys, do you really think you can do a better job than BG...If BG couldn't get a Shanahan to Montreal, then who can???? It has to be done with the draft, and patience, something Habs fans do not have...
there is no doubt in my mind , i would not be able to do a better job than gainey and it must be done through the draft and developing our own players , add in an astute trade or two and a dash of free agent signings and voila you have a cup contender . exactly what gainey is in the process of doing . go habs go !

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Traitor8

Changes need to happen:

#1- Change the style, play an offensive style that suits the players that we have and the players that we drafted(Perezhogin,Kostitsyn,Grabovsky...)

#2- Trade or let go of the following players:
UFA:
David Aebischer
Janne Niinimaa

Try to Trade:
Francis Bouillon
Alexei Kovalev
Sergei Samsonov
Garth Murray(or Hamilton)

On The Bubble(Undecided yet):
Radek Bonk
Mike Johnson
Mathieu Dandenault

Trade if Good deal avaiable:
Michael Ryder

I know that there might no takers for the players I listed in "trade"

Give offensive roles to Perezhogin and Kostitsyn and give them powerplay time as well. Absolutely must re-sign Souray and Markov. See what Grabovsky can do at training camp. If someone takes Samsonov and/or Kovalev then we can maybe go for Briere at 5-6 M $ per year or a similar offensive center otherwise we have to go with the centers we have (if Kovalev/Samsonov trading seems to be unsuccesful then we might as well keep Bonk but at lower then 2 M $).

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Nice to read you again, Vlad.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Maddas*

I should be in charge.

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Bob Gainey was in a tough spot this year and see's the bright future not too far ahead. Everyone know's that he is'nt going to explain what he is doing. He may be very stressed because of his daughter though. The plain and simple reason everyone is complaining is because he did not trade SHELDON SOURAY.

He will stay and rightfully so.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
znk

Too complicated for me.

Gillett should fire everyone and then join HFBoards. From that day forward every team decision(who to hire, who to draft, who to trade, what lines to use, what system to use) should be voted on with it's own thread and poll on HFBoards.

Then maybe some of the most vocal armchair generals would shut up.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote